PDA

View Full Version : F4U/F6 how to take off from carrier?

robbiminator
12-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Ok, I've followed the intstructions in the training track to a T, yet whenever I try to take off in the above mentioned planes I end up nose first in the deck as soon as the chocks are away???!!! Help me, please!

robbiminator
12-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Ok, I've followed the intstructions in the training track to a T, yet whenever I try to take off in the above mentioned planes I end up nose first in the deck as soon as the chocks are away???!!! Help me, please!

stansdds
12-29-2006, 06:00 AM
1. Don't try to take off from a static carrier, the forward motion of a moving carrier gives you a head wind that helps with lift.

2. Chocks in, tail wheel locked and straight, flaps down to full, engine full power, release chocks, control direction with rudder, do not pull back on the stick until you have sufficient air speed and retract the landing gear first.

Most common carrier take off mistake is pulling back on the stick during the take off run or immediately after leaving the deck. You aircraft will sink below deck level and skim the water, but by resisting the urge to pull up, you will gain air speed and be able to slowly climb.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself. -Stans, 2006

Krakkers
12-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Now "nose first in the deck" now if that is in the deck of the carrier chances are you are not using the chocks if that isn't the case, try gentle back pressure on the stick till your moving forwards, but as mentioned by stansdds once you start to build up speed let it go so that you can build up the proper airspeed once you clear the deck.

zoinks_
12-29-2006, 06:51 AM
are you letting the auto pilot start the plane?

this happens to me if the auto pilot starts the plane and then i take over. i can make this happen every time - just like you say - nose dive as soon as chocks are away. but it is some weird bug. it is repeatable if you completely exit the game and restart the game, let auto pilot start plane, then take over. nose dive.

i noticed it first with the sbd when i jumped to the gunner position and the auto pilot started the plane.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
learning curve: about 2 hours (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/pacificfighters/review.html)

juryman03
12-29-2006, 07:04 PM
And you don't want to have the brakes engaged when you're at full throttle and you release the chocks. That will cause you to nose over.

TAW_Oilburner
12-29-2006, 08:02 PM
And one more thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DO NOT try to force the tail up, let it come up on it's own (this is usually what is happening when people nose down on the deck).

roybaty
12-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Like the others said, make sure you're using chocks and not the brakes, and that your are on a moving carrier.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

-------------- QUICK SPECS --------------

-------------- HARDWARE --------------

SYSTEM: DELL XPS 600 3Ghz/P4/630
VIDEO CARD: nVidia 6800GS/256
RAM: 1 Gig DDR2 4200
HOTAS : Thrustmaster COUGAR
PEDALS: CH Pro Pedals USB
OTHER INPUT: Track IR2

-------------- SOFTWARE --------------

VOICE COMMAND: Shoot 1.6/VR Commander
COMMUNICATION: Teamspeak 2 R2
DX Ver: 9c

Zeus-cat
12-30-2006, 08:23 AM
As zoinks stated, letting the autopilot take control of the aircraft at any point before taking off is usually a fatal mistake. No power or nose first are always the result for me if the AI gets involved when the aircraft is still sitting on the ground. Engaging the autopilot immediately after takeoff is equally fatal. Avoid the autopilot untill you are well off the ground.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Zeus-cat

My Campaigns:
Straight Shot (9 missions in the Japanese Seaplane - A6M2-N "Rufe")
Straight Into an Icy Hell (14 missions for the Rufe in the Aleutians)
Straight Down (26 dive-bombing missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight Down Some More (19 more missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight and True (30 torpedo bomber missions in an IL-2T)

My campaign page at Miision4Today
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=22

robbiminator
01-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Still having problems with the Corsair and the Hellcat. The autopilot actually works very well and gets the plane off the carrier every time. Somehow, it manages an extra 15-20 mph by the time the plane reaches the end of the flight deck and I suspect those extra mph make ALL the difference between taking off and dunking. Why is my palne slower when I do EXACTLY what I'm supposed to do???

mrsiCkstar
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
make sure you're taking off from the big carriers... like Saratoga and Lexington... I don't think the HellCat or Corsair ever operated from the smaller carriers... and it's certainly difficult to get the corsair off the smaller carrier deck in the game...<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.no.net/jonmarja/images/f4usig.jpg

zoinks_
01-02-2007, 01:38 PM
to build up more speed, i don't lower my flaps until i get near the end of the deck.

and get your landing gear up asap!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
learning curve: about 2 hours (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/pacificfighters/review.html)

Nimits
01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Frankly, the defauly carrier take off and landing missions are slightly too difficult because of the lack of wind over the deck. Except for some emergency situations, USN and IJN carriers always ensured a 25-30 knot wind over the deck before conducting flight operations. With 30 knots of relative wind (achieved in game by increasing carrier speed to 30 knots), it is not hard at all to get an F6F or SBD airborne several feet before the end of the deck, by default, though, I think the carrier in the practice missions are only curing at 15-18 knots, really too slow for flight ops without catapaults.