PDA

View Full Version : My crew on the U-boat Moronic

lowdown762n2003
04-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Well I just got deep sixed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif. I was running under time compression 1024 up the east coast of England on the surface. The next thing I know about 5 times in rapid succession I heard "Were taking damage sir"!!!!! I was still under time compression and had to manually drop to normal time. I cried alarm and dove fairly quickly but got hit at least once more. After the dive all the "ohhhh S**t" fx's were going on. I jumped to the crew and damage repair only to find out that my subs butt was gone. Couldn't get ahead of flooding. Then I heard the nice pinging sound. Ewwww indicator all red.... Not good. Splish Splash I was taking a bath. Deep Six. Quesitons:
Why didn't my crew have any autonomy to yell alarm and get me under instead of "evidently" mooning the British on the poop deck?
If your answer is "Your the captain and you are the one responsible for your u-boat then:
Why did it stay in time compression (It dropped some but not to real time.) and allow me to take 5 shells before I could drop to normal time?
I mean even if the captains name was Mr.Magoo. I think he would have noticed a HE shell creating portholes in the boat before there were 5 of them.
Any ideas on this.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Have you messed around with your main.cfg?

lowdown762n2003
04-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah one other thing. Picking up a armed trawler on sonar at long range drops me to normal time half of the time. Why doesn't a HE shell do the same?

Iridium_Layer
04-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Hmmm...lets see.

At 1024x assuming that you were at "ahead standard" (about 12 knots), you were traveling at about 12,288 knots (13,721 miles per hour), or about 204 knots per game minute (228.7 miles per minute), or about 3 knots (4.5 miles) per second.

That is over over 15 times the speed of sound.

On the one hand, you could always say that perhaps your crew DID warn you, but you never heard them because the sound was so far behind you. On a more realistic level, though, you just have to face that you should never, ever, ever travel at that fast of time compression unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you are not going to meet anything. As you sadly learned, by the time the game kicked back into real time you had already allowed the AI to shoot numerous rounds at you without so much as a chance to take evasive maneuvers. That is not the game's fault...but your own impatience. Even if the game froze time within one second of a contact being made, you had already traveled almost 4.5 miles completely oblivious of your predicament. How many shells do you think YOU could lob off at an enemy ship while traveling 4.5 miles without them responding?

Never travel in unfriendly waters at anything higher than 128x compression unless you want to have happen to you exactly what did happen. Even in friendly waters, it is quite possible that you could ram a friendly or be rammed and not know about it until a few miles later.

TheFastFreddie
04-09-2005, 01:31 AM
My watch crew dropped the ball on TC today. I was only doing 256 TC at the time and next thing I know is "Sir, we're being engaged". I thought O'shizz and order a crash dive. I raised the periscope to see a destroyer blazing towards me with the spotlight on and guns firing. He was only 1300 meters away and by the time my crew started to dive he was well into a attack run. My luck he sucked so bad that he couldn't hit me at 25 meters. This was the second time this happened and before it was a torpedo boat. They kept saying we're being in engaged so I'd order us to periscope depth. The contact showed up on the hydro but couldn't find it in the periscope. After awhile I order the boat up and they attacked again. This time I spotted the little *blighter* while I listened to machinegun fire rattle off the tower.
----------------------------------------
*watch your profanity please !*

stoo1969
04-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I hear what you are saying Iridium_Layer, but hell it'll take forever to get anywhere, and for the sad blokes like me who sail back to port 128x just doesn't cut it, unless you're single or recently divorced http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ....

I try to be careful with the compression, but at the end of the day all the ocean is unfriendly, and you can run into a merchant anywhere, although i have seen that running with 100% efficiency watch is essential...

This really is a core piece of the engine and does need to be right.

Unikhorne
04-09-2005, 07:04 AM
What has divorces got to do with anything?

NaturalBornGoth
04-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Well, i survived 11 patrols without any incident of that kind, and i'm using 1024 TC pretty much all the time. Well... that was when i used map contact updates and my sonar guy still reported contacts to my because of that.

But then i turned map contact updates off, in order to achieve full realism, and obviously, due to a bug, i turned the sonar guy off along with it, because he stopped reporting contacts to me. The result: i was traveling north of the British Isles with my usual 1024 time compression, and all of a sudden i hear the hissing of water for a fraction of a second and then there was the Death Screen saying "U-Boat destroyed by collision". I never knew what happened.

Mys point is: the map contact option is buggy! As long as map contacts are activated (item unchecked), the sonar guy works just fine, reporting contacts all the time, with no danger of something like this happening to your boat. But once you deactivate map contact updates, your sonar guy stops reporting as well, not even hearing enemys when they are right on top of us. Not even when time compression is off.

@Unikhorn:

He means that most people don't have the time to watch the U-Boat symbol crawl over the map screen in slow motion. They do have a social life and other things to do besides Silent Hunter 3, and just want to skip to the crop of the cream when playing the game, which would be impossible at 128x TC.

Unikhorne
04-09-2005, 08:38 AM
So recently divorced people don't have a social life even when they are not single?

I know what he meant, i'm just being silly at his choise of words. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NaturalBornGoth
04-09-2005, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unikhorne:
So recently divorced people don't have a social life even when they are not single?

I know what he meant, i'm just being silly at his choise of words. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. Fair enough. That's the problem with analogies. Most of the time they are not quite appropriate. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

reumatiib
04-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Think of as the Fortunes of War. Subs were sunk like that and even worse. And when your U-boat is sunk I believe you should begin an all new career - new name and new crew. But that's just me.

axeman3d
04-09-2005, 11:10 AM
You guys do realise you need to have a watch officer up there, right?

If you place a watch officer on the bridge while surfaced you can go about reading your favourite book while the sub traverses the high seas, safe in the knowledge that if you find something, or something finds you, he will stop the action and ask you what to do next. If you just leave 4 morons with binoculars up there with no officer, look forward to being strafed, sunk, rammed, etc without real warning.

Tyke909
04-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I made just that mistake, forgot to put a watch officer up and got a conning tower resembling swiss cheese from a destroyer. Managed to crash dive and sneak away. Admittedly there was fog so thick that at periscope depth the destroyer was invisible at 400m.

JohnDiFool1
04-09-2005, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NaturalBornGoth:
Well, i survived 11 patrols without any incident of that kind, and i'm using 1024 TC pretty much all the time. Well... that was when i used map contact updates and my sonar guy still reported contacts to my because of that.

But then i turned map contact updates off, in order to achieve full realism, and obviously, due to a bug, i turned the sonar guy off along with it, because he stopped reporting contacts to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32405

NaturalBornGoth
04-09-2005, 03:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by axeman3d:
You guys do realise you need to have a watch officer up there, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup... i always keep the bridge/watch crew at 100% efficiency. Didn't make a difference.

alanschu
04-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Is the sonar bug an intermittent bug? Because I have map contacts off, but my sonar guy reports contacts all the time. Sometimes I have to take him out because I want to travel through the english channel at a high time compression without him alerting me of a warship every second.

Why do so many people seem to have their sonar guy not working? They are submerged right?

As for the time compression, the second I take any damage of any kind, the game always immediately drops me down to 1x time compression, even if it's just from machine gun fire from an elco. If there's a chance my sub can be spotted (either periscope is up or I'm on the surface), the game does not let me go past 32x. If I have been spotted, then I'm capped at 8x (even if I submerge...really annoying when I was trying to avoid a couple of elco torpedo boats and I had to stay at 8x compression. Although it allowed me to realize I was in the middle of a minefield as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif (outside Firth of Clyde or whatever).

Have you guys modified anything to change your time compression configuration? I am running default and I love the way the time compression works? The second I'm getting shot at it is always immediately 1x.... :shrug: