PDA

View Full Version : How to find out about WWII MIA presumed dead? (document enclosed)

Hawgdog
04-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Cracked open the safe, for whatever reason reading thru the family memo's and spotted this.
Scanned- This would have been my Grandmothers brother, I believe-
I read thru the rest of the stuff related to this, and really cant find too much of anything.
I was amazed to find my Dad, and Uncle saw some brutal pacific action, as well as two other relatives. Of course, back then, they never talked about it, other than to confirm they were there. Found all kinds of interesting stuff about what ships, what islands etc. Dad never really mentioned anything. After his death I found 8 rolls of Kodak negatives, some wild pics, some somber, some joyous.
well then Got the date, and the Whitley Ostrom name, where to start?
regards
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/bill.jpg

Hawgdog
04-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Cracked open the safe, for whatever reason reading thru the family memo's and spotted this.
Scanned- This would have been my Grandmothers brother, I believe-
I read thru the rest of the stuff related to this, and really cant find too much of anything.
I was amazed to find my Dad, and Uncle saw some brutal pacific action, as well as two other relatives. Of course, back then, they never talked about it, other than to confirm they were there. Found all kinds of interesting stuff about what ships, what islands etc. Dad never really mentioned anything. After his death I found 8 rolls of Kodak negatives, some wild pics, some somber, some joyous.
well then Got the date, and the Whitley Ostrom name, where to start?
regards
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/bill.jpg

BSS_Goat
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Sobering read.....it gave me chill bumps. Sorry I can't help, let us know how it goes.

Chuck_Older
04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Which service was your Great Uncle in?

try armyairforces.com and then missing aircrew reports

Hawgdog
04-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Ok, more reading- he married my grandmothers sister.
Lets see, all that is in the book is William H.S. Brady, Naval Air Base, Pensacola.
Transfered to North Islan Naval Base/ 12-20-40. Active duty
His Uncle was Milward Simpson Senator, Gov. of Wyoming.
And the document posted.
It would be interesting to find what FG, plane etc. Mission details but thats probably not going to happen.
Quite a bit of info on those who survived tho'.
Almost all were S.Pacific ops.

BfHeFwMe
04-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Lt. Comdr. is a Naval Rank, so your first clue is your dealing with the US Navy.

Second clue is the date and Navy Fighter operations based on land. Guadalcanal dates run 7 Aug 1942 - 21 Feb 1943. Logical guess says that's a good starting point to narrow the focus on.

Arms1
04-22-2006, 01:20 PM
you must have some sort of national archives (like the Canadian Nation Archives here or the Public Records Office in england) which can help you in a search for attestation papers and service records.
i was able to get service records, regimental and squadron operations diaries for my grandfather and father from the canadian archives. today the archives has scanned and uploaded this info and docs and all you have to do is do a name search at thier site. hopefully you can find a similar service in the us.

try this http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-recor...service-records.html (http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html)

i dont know if u have enough info but you can always ask.

Hawgdog
04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Good Stuff, thanks.

found this so far, Just a foot note in some battle plans. He died the evening between the two dates.
Kinda odd to view something so old, eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On 1 February command of the western pursuit passed from General De Carre to General Sebree.27 The 1st Battalion of the 147th again vainly attempted to cross the river to join forces with the 3d Battalion on the west bank. The destroyer and the field artillery fired into the Bonegi River valley, and patrols, finding that the enemy had withdrawn from the east bank, reached the river mouth by 1525, but the battalion did not cross. The Japanese unit holding the west bank was a delaying force from the covering battalion which the Japanese had landed on 14 January.28

The 147th Infantry's attacks on 2 February were more successful. The 1st Battalion, supported by artillery, crossed the Bonegi at its mouth, and by 1710 the 1st and 3d Battalions had made contact south of Tassafaronga.29 The river crossing cost the 147th two killed and sixty-seven wounded.30 The 147th Infantry estimated that 700-800 Japanese troops had occupied the positions east and west of the Bonegi. They had executed an orderly withdrawal, but the Americans captured a mobile machine shop, a signal blinker, two 70-mm. guns, eight 7s-mm. guns, and a radio station.31

On 3 February, while the main body of the pursuing force was establishing itself along a line running south from Tassafaronga Point, patrols reached the Umasani River, about 2,300 yards west of Tassafaronga.32 The next day the main body advanced 1,000 yards farther on to a line about 1,000 yards southeast </div></BLOCKQUOTE>