PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so few PTO dogfight rooms ?

Koenig_343KKT
12-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Why is the PTO so unpopular, really ? Is it because we can only have static aircraft carriers or what ?
Please give me your insight on this, because it leaves me really clueless. Apart from FallenAngels there is AFAIK no "full-hard" server who regularly hosts PTO dogfights.

ColoradoBBQ
12-18-2004, 08:42 PM
The Japanese fliers found a way to kill the dreaded Uber Corsairs and Hellcats and scared those who fly them back into their La-7 and Bf-109 K4.

Latico
12-18-2004, 08:57 PM
There's plenty of PTO DF rooms on HL (Hyperlobby). Just have to look for them.

lbhskier37
12-18-2004, 11:03 PM
their are plenty of them, but they are all empty.

xTHRUDx
12-19-2004, 01:01 AM
don't trust what HL says. take Greater Green for example, alot of the players join via direct IP or ASE. to the HL players, it appears empty.

just another reason to use ASE instead of HL in my opinion

JFC_Warhawk
12-19-2004, 07:15 AM
He said "Hard" Rooms. We play almost exclusively in ubisoft servers since these people do not wish to play IL2 like most others.

We play almost everyday and members from all time zones. Only thing you will see is a speedbar, and the rest...lights on.

Osirisx9
12-19-2004, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
don't trust what HL says. take Greater Green for example, alot of the players join via direct IP or ASE. to the HL players, it appears empty.

just another reason to use ASE instead of HL in my opinion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you about hyperlobby and GG. There are so many servers on the Ase and you can see the exact number of pilots in a room too. I have ASE and hyperlobby. I prefer to use the ASE or join via IP. The only thing that HL has over the ASE is the chat but I dont use that feature anyway. I prefer teamspeak.

As as far as the PTO is concerned, I must say it is pretty dead online. I think some of the reasons are :

1) Not enough maps
2) Not enough airfields . The temp airfields are not cutting it. The airfields are not flush with the surrounding terrian
3) Everyone doesn't like to takeoff and land on carriers. Too many spawning issues.
4) the perception that you must fly over miles of boring water before you see another aircraft.
5) The lack of carrier based torpedo bombers
6) The japanese pilots do not have multi-engined bomber of their own.
7) The corsair wasn't what corsair lovers thought it should be. Especially after the first patch.
9) The corsair, hellcat, and wildcat require the pilot to more envolved in engine management.
10) The tropical landscape looks like tundra.
11) difficult to make historical missions.
12) The zero high speed performance (maneuverabilty) is questionable.

My list may be long, but I will always give the PTO a shot and keep promoting it. It does have allot of potential. Besides I have a B-25 to fly now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Its my favorite aircraft so the shortcommings of the other aircraft and other issues of the game doesn't prevent me from flying the PTO online. As far as I'm concerned The B_25 alone is worth the price of Pacific-Fighters.

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

Tully__
12-19-2004, 07:25 AM
I still don't understand why people expected anything other than long boring flights over featureless water. The Pacific is big!!! Naval aircraft were designed to be able to fly very long range missions for good reason.

F19_Orheim
12-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Most popular servers - such as F16_Dedicated, greatergreen etc - has an extensive maproation as a good server should have. These servers mix different theatres: Eastern front, Western front and the Pacific with no particular focus on anyone of them. If per chance there are less Pacific missions, I gather it is because it takes a while to create a good mission and serveradmins are still making them.

For my account I prefer a good mix with all theatres as most servers running are "merged version servers".

tB_Blueknight
12-19-2004, 11:32 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head concerning lack of PF online gameplay. Most of the established servers are of the merged type server. A lot of new players are not going to buy two more games just to play the game they already bought to play online. Shame it isnt set up where if you have PF and the server is running pF that everyone with PF whether merged or stand alone could play together. That is the biggest obstacle IMHO. Yes there are UBI rooms but they are few to be sure.