PDA

View Full Version : Since AI will have the same FM:s...

triggerhappyfin
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Why not let us have the virtual cockpit(cockpit off)flying possibility with them too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

All of a sudden we´d have so many new flyables on these conditions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BlakJakOfSpades
04-07-2005, 03:52 PM
i like it! however, i doubt it!

tralkpha
04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
It has been suggested several times before.
I think it would be a good undocumented feature.
Especially if it was implemented the same as flying the ai planes in 3rd person view, ie only online in df servers with appropriate realism settings and only by manually editing the mission files.

Skycat_2
04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
What if we got a universal, ultra-generic cockpit for many of the planes not currently flyable or that will be included as AI only? I'm envisioning a really basic panel (more to obstruct your vision than be historically representative) that might be nothing more than a black background for the "no cockpit" HUD displays ... Wings would be uniformly featureless as would be the headrest, cockpit walls and floor.

I know this isn't the optimal solution, but I also realize that a lot of people will argue against "No Cockpit" planes on principal alone. My proposed solution could be offered as a last patch after the final "real" upgrade patch has been released so that people can choose to apply this modification or not (IE, The patch would be thorougly documented so newcomers won't flood the boards with posts about the crappy "Storch" cockpit, etc).

SithSpeeder
04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
SkyCat--

That's a good idea, IMO. You ought to verify that it hasn't been posted in ORR, then go put that there.

* _54th_Speeder *

Troll2k
04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Since the humans and AI will have the same FM I can not wait to be able to do 10 G manuevers,bat turns,see throught clouds and shoot like a sniper in the dark.

triggerhappyfin
04-08-2005, 04:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
Since the humans and AI will have the same FM I can not wait to be able to do 10 G manuevers,bat turns,see throught clouds and shoot like a sniper in the dark. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This wasnt what I thought of..but you might be right http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

AlGroover
04-08-2005, 05:22 AM
The same? I thought the reason for the different FMs was to conserve processor resources. What kind of power am I going to need to run this? Are player FMs to be dumbed down to make it workable?

Spitf_ACE
04-08-2005, 05:34 AM
The new patch is going to use more resources than now. But the difference in performance is going to be negligable; 1-5fps.

The option of a generic cockpit isn't going to happen, because Oleg has very high quality standards, and wants the flyable planes to have cockpits as close to the real thing as possible (according to the blueprints, not what people say about the position of the piolts head. This is where most of the arguements about bars being too high, or the gunsight being in the wrong position originate from. The cockpits are accurate, the views position is not)

Skycat_2
04-08-2005, 07:40 AM
That's why I said "Ultra-Generic" and "after the last real patch." I know Oleg's standards are high; I wasn't asking for them to be lowered. But when BoB comes out I'm sure that will render support for the IL-2 series as dead as the Dodo ...

You don't see any upgrade patches still being released for IL-2 Sturmovik, now do you? Or Forgotten Battles, or for that matter Ace Expansion Pack without Pacific Fighters. PF's time is marked also, I'm afraid.

If generic super-fake cockpits are offered as the 'final hurrah' for the series and people knew what they were installing beforehand, I don't see where it would be a gross compromise of Oleg's standards or integrity. The basic idea would simply be, "Hey, we don't have a historic cockpit but if you want to fly this or that AI plane then you can put in a universal cardboard cutout panel without guages so Stiglr won't curse you out for flying Wonder Woman View and have you forever banned from online play." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif