PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get a gameport on a newer PC??

mortoma
10-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking about building a new PC but don't want to have to resort to USB interface type joysticks and the like. Since most sound cards don't come with a gameport anymore, is there any way I can get a gameport on a newer system??? Please don't turn this into an argument regarding the merits of one vs. the other, or try and suggest I simply go to USB anyway. If you have no suggestions about how I might get a gameport on a new PC, please just don't post.

T_O_A_D
10-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Are you buying a completly new PC or a Motherboard upgrade? If its just a Motherboard upgrade then look at the ones your interested in, and it should tell you on the specification page if one is included.

Mine a P4P800 from Asus had it included with it, matching up with the onboard sound. But that was last year and its not new to the market anymore.

mortoma
10-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Not anymore they don't. And adaptors that convert gameport to USB don't work very well. I bought a Radio Shack converter once and my joystick constantly lost it's calibration. So I took it back to R.S. and got my money back. So this is not an option either.

mortoma
10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
Are you buying a completly new PC or a Motherboard upgrade? If its just a Motherboard upgrade then look at the ones your interested in, and it should tell you on the specification page if one is included.

Mine a P4P800 from Asus had it included with it, matching up with the onboard sound. But that was last year and its not new to the market anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's no answer either since if you use the onboard gameport, you are forced to use the oboard sound along with it, which is not an option for me. I like PCI sound cards thank you very much.

T_O_A_D
10-05-2004, 01:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
That's no answer either since if you use the onboard gameport, you are forced to use the oboard sound along with it, which is not an option for me. I like PCI sound cards thank you very much. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was information not an answer. You didn't answer my question either. Now did you?

If you want help be polite or forget it.

I too don't use onboard sound I use my Audigy2, it also came with gameport but I don't use it, since I have all USB. Do some research, and get back with us.

I just went to creative's sight and downloaded a manual for Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro it mentions a gameport in its trouble shooting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Problems with the Joystick
The joystick connector is not working.

The audio card's Joystick/MIDI connector may be conflicting with the system's joystick port.

To solve this problem:

Disable the audio card's Joystick/MIDI connector and use the system port instead.
Do the following:

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
In the Control Panel window, double-click the System icon.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and then select Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro Gameport (Creative Gameport for Windows 2000).
Click the Properties button.
In the Properties dialog box:
If you see an Original Configuration (Current) option, clear the check box.
If you see a Disable In This Hardware Profile option, select the check box.

Click OK to restart Windows and for the change to take effect.
When the Gameport Joystick interface is disabled, the entry in Device Manager shows a red cross.

The joystick is not working properly with some programs.

The program may use the system processor timing to calculate the joystick position. When the processor is fast, the program may determine the position of the joystick incorrectly, assuming that the positoin is out of range.

To solve this problem:

Increase your system's 8 bit I/O recovery time of the BIOS setting, usually under the Chipset Feature Settings section. Or, if available, you may adjust the AT Bus speed to a slower clock. If the problem persists, try a different joystick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howie A
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Yes that's right Toad, and I think most new sound cards include them. But they can easily be found on eBay. I got a SB Live for $10 a few months ago, and just recently an Audigy 2, both with ports as expected.

Many times Radio Shack has the cheapest quality components concerning specialized applications. I've read comments in forums from owners of gameport joysticks who've had very good results with other adapters. Some research should find them, I think there's a few.

jeroen-79
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM
But can't you configure Windows to use a particular soundcard to play sounds?
Or does that take out the gameport too?

You could look for a PCI soundcard with gameport.
Then you could install both and tell Windows to use the other one to play sound if that is what you prefer.

I don't know of any PCI-gameportcards but there are ISA-gameportcards.
If you don't have a free ISA-slot you could look for a PCI-to-ISA adaptor. (or bridge)
Google for it.

http://www.google.nl/search?q=ISA+convert+PCI&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8
http://www.costronic.com.tw/Ev72p.htm
http://www.joy-stick.net/reviews/other/pdpil4.htm

I know that you have expressly forbidden it, but what is wrong with a USB device?

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I have an audigy something or other with 24bit sound.

Not the latest and the greatest, but not bad either...5.1 suround and the like, and it has a gameport. So I'm pretty sure add in pci sound cards have them.

I have mine discontected incidently because I use USB....much more scaleable.

anyway, look into creative labs sound cards, if the new ones don't have em, you might find one on ebay relatively cheap.

lil_labbit
10-05-2004, 02:37 PM
You can allmost allways disable onboard sound and/or onboard game port in the BIOS.

But why you would want to use a game port is beyond me... they have far worse behaviour than modern USB devices http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and do not allways work correct either.

And you can never mix a gameport device with a USB device. It's either - or.

mortoma
10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks people. And by the way, I did do research beforehand by looking at the specs of Audigy II cards, no mention of a gameport in the spec I happened to read.

Sorry if you took that wrong T_O_A_D, I didn't mean to be impolite. You read into the "answer" part and got a different meaning out of it. I meant that what you advised was not an "answer" to my problems. Not that "it was no kind of answer to give me". I didn't infer that you didn't answer me properly. So the way you read things can play tricks on you and things can be misunderstood easily. Especially since most people automatically by nature try and see the negative and bad in things. Be it a person or something you read, whatever. I think they call it jumping to conclusions or something like that. But no offence intended or taken.

T_O_A_D
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
None taken, But as it usually happens here. The short response can be missleading.

I read it both ways, and leaned to the response I gave. I did continue to help, out of my good nature to assume you ment it differnetly. As mentioned above. Creative has mention of it in their trouble shooting manual. Not all of the answeres ar black and white http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I can find on pictures proving the existance of it either. Sometimes reading between the line is required, even if misinterpeted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

mortoma
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_TinMan:
I have an audigy something or other with 24bit sound.

Not the latest and the greatest, but not bad either...5.1 suround and the like, and it has a gameport. So I'm pretty sure add in pci sound cards have them.

I have mine discontected incidently because I use USB....much more scaleable.

anyway, look into creative labs sound cards, if the new ones don't have em, you might find one on ebay relatively cheap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Where is the gameport located? Is it one of those that you have to hook up with a ribbon cable and put it in an extra empty PCI slot??

T_O_A_D
10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
In this Ebay Item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3701&item=5127456762&rd=1#ebayphotohosting) Ebay item you can see the Gameport jack with the ribbon. The Jack goes into on of the blank holes for the PCI in the case. Then the ribbon connects to a set of pins on the Audigy.

Troll2k
10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
You used to be able to buy a generic game port card.

Do a search on http://pricewatch.com for game port.They run about $6.00 plus shipping.

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
Where is the gameport located? Is it one of those that you have to hook up with a ribbon cable and put it in an extra empty PCI slot?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, actually, that is exactly what it is. Like I said, mine is not hooked up.

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lil_labbit:
And you can never mix a gameport device with a USB device. It's either - or. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen this several times, and frankly don't understand it. When I first started flying back in '99, I had a logitech 3d wingman (gameport the old one before it came with the gameport/usb convertor thingy that it comes with now) joystick and usb pro pedals and used them together just fine. I also used my old pc flight yoke (before I got the usb one) with my usb pro pedals with no problem. AND you can use a USB mouse with gameport joystick all day long...

This whole, no gameport with usb thing seems like an urban legand/myth; ... much the same as the whole skin download messes up gameplay on broadband http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (sorry about that, cheap shot from another thread...lol)

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
You used to be able to buy a generic game port card.

Do a search on http://pricewatch.com for game port.They run about $6.00 plus shipping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgr that

CHproducts used to sell one, but it was for ISA, I bought one when I was still using gameport and usb trying to get two instead of just one gameport and had to return it because I didn't have an ISA slot :S

Hiriyu
10-05-2004, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
And you can never mix a gameport device with a USB device. It's either - or. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost, but not entirely true. I run both gameport and USB game devices concurrently in IL2/FB on my PC with no issues. My rudder pedals are gameport through an SBLive on controller ID2, while stick ID1 is through USB, as is my TIR. I haven't observed any issues/conflicts at all.

I'm not 100% sure if that's what you meant, but in my experience, gameport and USB may be mixed while running a given application.

lil_labbit
10-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Well I tried to mix them once (USB and game-port) but they didn't work. It was a long time ago though - and under WinME not under XP...

Still got my old Ultrasound Firebird stick - might try it tomorrow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IKP_Hawk
10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Hiriyu is correct. I also use gameport CHPedals w/USB CHCombat Stick and USB CHPro Throttle.It works great in WinXP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG54_Arnie
10-06-2004, 01:30 AM
And Mortoma, as someone already noticed, I can confirm that usually you can disable onboard sound but enable the gameport in BIOS.

Capt.LoneRanger
10-06-2004, 03:52 AM
All pci-soundcards and all motherboards with onboard sound have a gameport. And of course, if it has, you can disable the gameport of the mainboard as well as the onboard sound. But since both are on the mainboard, you can disable or enable them independently!

That means you can run 2 gameports under XP, if you have onboard sound and a pci-soundcard.
Both need a cable that is connected to the MB/soundcard and will use a panel for a slot on the back of your computer.
You can use both gameports, since they don't share the same IRQ/DMI, but you cannot use 2 soundcards at one time without a problem (FYI).

I used to have a quickshot attached to the mainboard-gameport, for racing games and sometimes for a self-built rudder, while my CH-Fighterstick & Pro-Throttle were attached to the soundcards-gameport.

Additionally, I sometimes had attached my X45. So yes, you can have multiple joysticks attached to your PC and even mix GP/GP/USB.

It just depends on the game to differenciate. IL2 can detect multiple devices, LOMAC is too dump (sorry, ED) and can only detect a single device and mixes the input from several devices, as if the input was from a single device.
Setting up my quickshot as control for the radar-cursor ended up in one stall after another http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif - until I found out, that LOMAC supports multiple axis, but only on a single device.

rssmps
10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
All pci-soundcards and all motherboards with onboard sound have a gameport. And ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All mbs? are you sure?
my MSI 865 chipset Neo2-platinum has onboard sound but no gameport. I had to add an old PCI sound card to get the game port.

Other than the Radio Shack adapter.... are there any others? I've not seen any in the stores.

Capt.LoneRanger
10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't know, rssmps.

From the pics you find on the internet, I'd say it has a port for the connector, but if you want to be sure, check the BIOS setting.

I can only say, that from the many PCs I built in my life (for friends and for myself), all of them had such a cable, even the newest modells. Dunno, of this specific board doesn't have it, though.