PDA

View Full Version : torpedoe attack angle in periscope

Septimus1968
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Sofar i've been patiently waiting to have targets at the 0 marker in the periscope before firing any torpedoes. However, I see in the tutorial movie that at other angles this is possible too. Gives me 2 questions:

1. What is the maximum deviation from 0 degrees to achieve a hit? (providing i am sitting at 90 degrees when 0 marker would be on target ship)

2. Does the type of torpedoe have any effect on this?

Septimus1968
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Sofar i've been patiently waiting to have targets at the 0 marker in the periscope before firing any torpedoes. However, I see in the tutorial movie that at other angles this is possible too. Gives me 2 questions:

1. What is the maximum deviation from 0 degrees to achieve a hit? (providing i am sitting at 90 degrees when 0 marker would be on target ship)

2. Does the type of torpedoe have any effect on this?

lecek
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
The torpedo will turn to any angle up to something like 130 ish.

It is best to shoot straight out of your tubes, but that is accomplished with a GYRO angle of 0 not a periscoe angle of 0.

If you have auto targeting on, that is the simulation identifies the ships for you on its own and range, speed etc..., then there is no real advantage for shooting at any angle as long as the torpedo can turn that far.

The key point here is at what angle the torpedo hits the ship itself. If the torpedo hits the ship at a shallow angle, it will tend to bounce off. It might also bounce off the rounded bottoms of ships if you have them set too deep.

Magnetic pistols set to just under the bottom of the ship don't actually hit the ship and so angle doesn't matter for them. But in rough weather they can be unreliable because they can explode early and/or the ship can "bounce" over the torp.

I *think* different torpedoes have different max turning angles but I am not sure. At any rate you shouldn't be shooting a torp that needs to turn too far past 90 degrees unless it is an emergency.

Kaleun1961
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
You're doing alright in your attack setup if you are off the target's beam at about 90 degrees. If you are using auto-targeting the best thing to do is wait until the coloured triangle turns from yellow to green. If you monitor the TDC, you will notice that you get the green while the target is still off to one side, i.e. the TDC is leading the target. The faster the target as it crosses your bow [or stern if using the stern tube] the more the TDC will lead the target. If the target it fast, you may have to fire while it is 15 degrees or so off of the perpendicular. Distance from target is also a factor in calculating lead. It really is quite similar to deflection shooting in aerial combat.