PDA

View Full Version : Help with UQMB (No response yet from their site)

ladlon
03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Posted in the UQMB forum, but haven't got any response yet... so, I'm trying here, as you guys are always quick to respond.

I'm running FB/AEP/PF, and I imagine my mission requirements from UQMB are pretty straight forward, and I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction...

Basically, all I want to do is have random bombing missions using the He111. I've set it up (1 bomber, which I fly.... and an enemy flight of 2 fighters... and an airbase to attack). I've selected a variety of categories in the Random Rules And Sets section, but I don't think they are doing anything. My missions are the same (same time, same weather, etc). Not sure what's going on with the enemy fighters (if they start in the same place all the time, etc).

What do I need to do to have it so every time I press 'Create Mission', I'll get random weather, random time of day, random enemy air/ground units? (...among other factors)

I've been reading the tutorial and experimenting a bit, but at this point I'm a LITTLE overwhelmed by all the options, so (for now), I'm not sure if I'm doing this right...

Anyone care to walk me through the basic steps to create the type of mission I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...

ladlon
03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Posted in the UQMB forum, but haven't got any response yet... so, I'm trying here, as you guys are always quick to respond.

I'm running FB/AEP/PF, and I imagine my mission requirements from UQMB are pretty straight forward, and I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction...

Basically, all I want to do is have random bombing missions using the He111. I've set it up (1 bomber, which I fly.... and an enemy flight of 2 fighters... and an airbase to attack). I've selected a variety of categories in the Random Rules And Sets section, but I don't think they are doing anything. My missions are the same (same time, same weather, etc). Not sure what's going on with the enemy fighters (if they start in the same place all the time, etc).

What do I need to do to have it so every time I press 'Create Mission', I'll get random weather, random time of day, random enemy air/ground units? (...among other factors)

I've been reading the tutorial and experimenting a bit, but at this point I'm a LITTLE overwhelmed by all the options, so (for now), I'm not sure if I'm doing this right...

Anyone care to walk me through the basic steps to create the type of mission I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...

Skycat_2
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Does UQMB do that? I thought you had to set all the conditions yourself for every mission, just like in QMB. I could be very wrong though.

ladlon
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey, Skycat...

Well, UQMB has a tonn of stuff... including a randomizing section. Now, I'm just not sure how to work it! It appears you can have randomness to whichever of the elements you select on the list (weather, time, altitude, number of planes, etc). Doesn't seem to be randomizing on my missions, but that's only for the things that I can spot easily (like time of day and weather). There is also a Randomize Now button, but I think that randomizes which of the elements are randomized (randomizes the randomize list). I'll have to read carefully through the whole manual. Just a bit overwhelming for me right now. I'm sure what I'm trying to do is actually really easy.

I'm just wanting to have a random ground target chosen for me, and random enemies... (and weather and time). Nothing too complicated (no multiplayer, coop, multiple flights, etc).

UberDemon
03-10-2006, 12:04 AM
ladlon,

Sorry, I am in the middle of a work trip.

The Random features of UQMG are somewhat limited, but you can do certain things to randomize the options.

First thing is to click on the Random Rules & Sets button. This gives you the ability to randomize certain parameters, like the ones you mentioned. Check the ones you want. Once you do that, go back to the main UQMG window and click on Randomize now BEFORE you click CREATE MISSION NOW button.

Also, you need to make sure that the options you want are actually checked in the FPS manager area.

Seems that you want some pretty specific mission parameters. Most maps have a flexible template which has different ground targets, if you so desire, sometimes they are airfields, but not always (to find out the targets for each flight group, click on Win Conditions/Objectives, then the yellow ? button near Ground Attack Objectives, some of them will be airfields).

For specific templates to attack airfield templates , only a few maps have them (Net 1 Summer & Winter, Online Islands, Net 8 & 8a, Net 11a & b, Crimea, Moscow Summer & Winter, Smolensk); the reason being that designing the templates takes an enormous amount of time, which I do not have, so that is why I create the flexible templates for most maps, and they still take a good 72hrs to create... with limited time, it is hard.

Each flight group is assigned to a base in the template, so the only way to change them is to start in different group positions, say, group 1, then group 4, etc...

To limit the types of planes available, you can create your own plane sets in the Flight Editor (when you edit a flight, select the Object Database, then the button to create a new set.)

But before trying this... I stil urge you to go through the tutorial in its entirety... even though it seems overwhelming, once you start, it can be quite adictive, and going throught it, with many sample missions and building on your knowledge foundation, you will become an UQMG master in no time.

Thank you for using UQMG
Demon/UberDemon
www.uberdemon.com (http://www.uberdemon.com)

ladlon
03-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow, hello UberDemon!

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you taking the time, especially since you are obviously busy!

I'm very impressed with the work you've done on UQMG! Certainly has made an already incredible sim so much better! Thanks for your hard work and excellent support so far!

I'll look into the things you noted in your post. I had read through the tutorial earlier today, but will continue to study it and experiment. I just figure I'm doing something wrong that's preventing the randomizing I'm looking for. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon...

Cheers!

major_setback
03-10-2006, 02:29 AM
This is partly off the top of my head, so bear with me if I am slightly wrong.

The random feature creates random missions. ie if you set it for a '1943 planeset with only fighters' it will generate a random mission with fighters from that period.

If you've specified exactly what types of planes (and where) already there won't be a random element.
The utility creates a mission that then sits in the game, you would have to create another for it to be any different to the one that you have created.

To randomize:
Click on the button 'random rules and sets' and you'll see the tickable options. With these set a random mission will be created when you click on 'randomize now'.
You should also set 'Pick a set' from the top of the random options, it will set the types of aircraft from which the random mission is generated.
To randomize again you have to repeat the process. You can randomize as many times as you want before creating the mission, until you get one you are happy with.

GH_Klingstroem
03-10-2006, 03:49 AM
I have been looking for at patch for UQMB to update it PF4.04 merged...
Its the new AC's that I want included... Currently the planes in the version I have only includes the planeset for PF 3.02 or something I think!
Anyone?

ladlon
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Hello again, MajorSetback!

Ya, that's how I figured it worked, yet it doesn't seem to be randomizing... I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, and it's normally pretty straight forward. I'll keep trying (I just got it a day or so ago).

I finally got the DCG as well, and that's very cool too. Just a shame that it doesn't seem to have much for bombers... Seems like there's no dynamic level bombing campains at all, and only a few 'fighters with bombs' campains.

I pretty much suck at air-to-air, and prefer bombing anyway. Fighter bombers are pretty fun though...

ladlon
03-10-2006, 11:15 AM
*** UPDATE ***

For those of you keeping score at home...

It looks like I got it to randomize. Simple, really... Not sure what I was doing wrong.

Very cool!

Thanks to those who responded!

Cheers