PDA

View Full Version : Movie review Miracle at St Anna

stugumby
03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
oi, here it goes, first the military equipment and weapons. I will give it an 8 for that, but m-1 garands had slings mounted to stacking swivels, not sling swivels, a typical noooob mistake. Dudes carrying thompsons wearing regular m-1 cartridge belts, kinda hard to reload a .45 acp with 30.06.
105 howitzers with muzzle brakes, not US at all, 88mm no recoil but its hollywood.

Jeeps probably post war as spare tire mounted on side.

BAR. didnt see any but basic issue to rifle platoons/squads in ww2.

German stuff, a mix of m98 and m98k in various guises, mg 42 and mp 40 were good, in opening battles german soldiers toting us 50cal ammo boxes, not german 7.92 boxes.

Now for the plot, well it started off wierd but got better, lots of dot connecting thru flashbacks etc, a searing portrayal of racial discrimination and bigotry. For that alone I give it a 10.

The connection to the masacre and the awol german fugitive was a bit off but once grasped the concept flowed ok.

backstabbing, betrayal and double crossing par excellence, the massacre was as well done as it could be for a film, bayonetting the baby was left to the imagination.

A continuity error at the village where the partisans hid out, one minute germans fragging it and by the time the smoke clears a woman brings food to same door. minus 4 on that one.

The out of body death scene or so one thinks of the boy at the end was a bit "say what" but it works out.

Overall a basic 8, good storyline, actors ok and no big names to boot, definitely not speilberg quality but entertaining non the less.

worth a rent, not a buy.

stugumby
03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
oi, here it goes, first the military equipment and weapons. I will give it an 8 for that, but m-1 garands had slings mounted to stacking swivels, not sling swivels, a typical noooob mistake. Dudes carrying thompsons wearing regular m-1 cartridge belts, kinda hard to reload a .45 acp with 30.06.
105 howitzers with muzzle brakes, not US at all, 88mm no recoil but its hollywood.

Jeeps probably post war as spare tire mounted on side.

BAR. didnt see any but basic issue to rifle platoons/squads in ww2.

German stuff, a mix of m98 and m98k in various guises, mg 42 and mp 40 were good, in opening battles german soldiers toting us 50cal ammo boxes, not german 7.92 boxes.

Now for the plot, well it started off wierd but got better, lots of dot connecting thru flashbacks etc, a searing portrayal of racial discrimination and bigotry. For that alone I give it a 10.

The connection to the masacre and the awol german fugitive was a bit off but once grasped the concept flowed ok.

backstabbing, betrayal and double crossing par excellence, the massacre was as well done as it could be for a film, bayonetting the baby was left to the imagination.

A continuity error at the village where the partisans hid out, one minute germans fragging it and by the time the smoke clears a woman brings food to same door. minus 4 on that one.

The out of body death scene or so one thinks of the boy at the end was a bit "say what" but it works out.

Overall a basic 8, good storyline, actors ok and no big names to boot, definitely not speilberg quality but entertaining non the less.

worth a rent, not a buy.

Bearcat99
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I had other issues as well.. Mind you.. AFAIC it is GREAT to see the story told... but it could have been better.. Like the TA movie from HBO...........

CUJO_1970
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I only made it through about 45 minutes of that movie, hats off to you for enduring the whole thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

zardozid
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I enjoyed it...I have to admit I don't get hung-up on the "hardware" flaws as much as some people do.

For me, the only major flaws where in the editing/story flow...it was so close to perfect that it bothered me. I think that he could have cut some of the "slice of life/personality back-story" bits, but I'm not sure where I would have cut. Almost everything does serve the end plot (and that may have been their (editors) problem) but I think they could have "tightened up" the flow of editing. This is an odd observation from me as I don't particularly care for all the quick editing of today... Most story editing quickens as the story reaches its excitement point (climax). Usually the cuts get a little quicker, the scenes a little shorter...and it all serves to heighten our expectation of the endpoint. A scene that runs a little too long (or takes us in a different direction) as the climax (expectation) builds can ruin the mood...

Overall I enjoyed the film...its a little quirky and it felt a little bit like an "outsider" film (the Director "gave it his best try"). But "war films" are hard to do right and next to comic book fans (and comicbook adaptations), war film audiences are the most passionate about their subject matter. For some people the wrong belt buckle on a uniform can ruin the whole film for them, BUT for the most part I think that the Director did what he should have done under those circumstances...he stuck to the story telling. (OOpps gott'a run...I can't finish my rant)

stugumby
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
it must be very difficult to make a war movie, try finding german halftracks/tanks just laying around a hollywood property room etc. But the m-3 halftrack painted panzer gray is the standard substitute, even from the 60-70's movies.
the t-34 substituted for a tiger and even the modification on band of brothers vehicles is about as good as one can get.

Most of the people shot in the film died because they were tactically stupid, you dont go on patrol in partisan country with a slung and unloaded rifle.

Bounding overwatch and scouts out to cross a linear danger area/river is mandatory.

And they used 5 digit grids for artillery instead of 6.

"send the mail" must be the new phrase for adjust fire, and when arty impacts near you it isnt "adjust fire" its "check your fire"

but alas its a movie and a decent one at that, like i said, worth a $4 rent, not $19.95 to own.

TSmoke
03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Watched the movie start to finish.

Thats 2+ hours wasted, what a piece of trash, poorly acted, directed, the plot was damn near invisible, just a total mess.

R_Target
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
A couple of decent acting performances are about all I got out of this muddled mess.

redhornet07
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Directed by Spike Lee = white people are the devil and a disregard of historical fact.

No thanks.