PDA

View Full Version : A question for LEBillfish or other IJAAF types:

Tater-SW-
12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
I know someone working on markings for a Ki-46 III of Sakura Shimbu-Tai, and I'm trying to help him.

I have Scott, which shows the tail markings, any other ideas for color/markings for that group?

Thanks!

tater

Tater-SW-
12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
I know someone working on markings for a Ki-46 III of Sakura Shimbu-Tai, and I'm trying to help him.

I have Scott, which shows the tail markings, any other ideas for color/markings for that group?

Thanks!

tater

LEBillfish
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sakura Shimbu-Tai </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll keep looking

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Kaytoo/IL2/Ki-46.jpg <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK">"Does this make my Hien look big?"
"I love my Ha-40's"
"She loves teh Swallow"
"Don't call me cho-cho san"
</span>

Tater-SW-
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Cool!

tater

LEBillfish
12-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately, unable to read a sentance of Japanese without taking an hour to do it, right off I can find no other views of this plane.

What I can say is this though:

1. I have only seen a single, 1, one, photo of a camoflauged Ki-46. Most were single color, being except for rare exceptions a "grass tan" shade, or olive green, or other....Now the pic above is VERY dark, some almost even looking black the green so dark, so that's possible. Yet impossible for me to say for sure ATM.

2. Ki-46 were VERY well built, seams on the wings and much of them were filled in using putty then painted over, so rivets and minor seams would be very difficult to see if at all.

3. Unfortunately, due to the time in the war it is difficult to make firm statements as to markings.....Home Defense bandages may of been used OR not. WHite outlines around hinomaru, same again, as well with the combat band.

What I'd suggest is asking on the www.j-aircraft.com (http://www.j-aircraft.com) forums, they might have something more for you there as unless I can read the text of a partial view or see the whole plane, it is difficult.

Yet will keep looking.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK">"Does this make my Hien look big?"
"I love my Ha-40's"
"She loves teh Swallow"
"Don't call me cho-cho san"
</span>

Tater-SW-
12-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Rgr. Thanks for the help. My friend is doing artwork for a model for display, and wants it as dead on as he can get.

The image in Scott is also very dark. OTOH, it really depends on what B&W film was used at the time since they read colors differently and show wildly different gray values for the same color.

Looks like an ID number under the skull and crossbones that wasn't in the image in Scott.

tater

Tater-SW-
12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
According to a guy in japan:

What the caption says:

"Skeleton tail insignia drawn on type IIIs of the Shinbu Sakura Special Attack unit, the only special attack unit which is equipped with type 100 recon to participate in the battle of okinawa. After roughly drawn using chalk it was painted with paint. The ???(to) in "???-47(to-47)" under the insignia represents ???????????????(special attack force/unit). 10 type 100 recon were assigned to the unit and 8 of them were actually used in combat. Not every plane in the unit had the insignia."