PDA

View Full Version : first impressions

tonedog2005
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
just goet PF via amazon but there aint no manual or key chart. the manual on the cd isnt begginer friendly. how do i use the radio for eg.

as well i tried the stock mission pearl harbour and there's not amy planes around. not very pearl harbour like at all. is there setting im missin that maybe adjust the level of planes around or is that just the way they were designed?

also there's not many missions to choose from

tonedog2005
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
just goet PF via amazon but there aint no manual or key chart. the manual on the cd isnt begginer friendly. how do i use the radio for eg.

as well i tried the stock mission pearl harbour and there's not amy planes around. not very pearl harbour like at all. is there setting im missin that maybe adjust the level of planes around or is that just the way they were designed?

also there's not many missions to choose from

Kuna15
12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
There are not many planes in the air because frame rates will be low; one must have really strong cpu to handle them all on good graphics.
Single missions are not where this game is all about (I don't really play them).
QMB (quick mission builder), career mode, and online COOP & dogfight are most popular.
For me good COOP or good dogfight with ground objectives are the best aspects of playing this game.

zoinksu52
12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
i'm a noob, too. i've spent as much time trolling these threads for clues as i play. kind of aggravating (did the same with sh3) but i'm slowly getting the hang of it. i've been spending most of my time learning how to fly and land and what all the controls do. don't worry so much about not getting a manual, it teaches you nothing.

i've only got to mission 3 in a career so i can't comment on the dynamic campaign. i've never even tried a dogfight until i went online for the first time today. i think that's where the good play is. use hyperlobby to connect to the servers.

you don't want any tips from me other than you'll find most answers somewhere in these threds and also look simhq.com

kalaluth
12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Try to have a look on this discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1161031143/r/1161031143#1161031143) .
Wildcat Training (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=429) was designed to help starting with PF.

zoinksu52
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
thanks. i'm gonna give a go in a few minutes. this will be most helpful.

Waldo.Pepper
12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
The manual is on the disk, pdf file.

Skycat_2
12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
For the radios, I think the 'TAB' key is the default key to bring up the commands you can send out to your squadmates; you next select numbers that correspond to the type of message you want to transmit.

Many of the functions for PF planes do not have keys assigned by default; you have to go into the controls list and assign keys for such features as raising the seat and for raising/lowering the landing gear on the Wildcat.

I have nearly all of my keys reassigned for simplicity -- I like easy to remember assingments like E=engine, I=icons and S=smoke. I can't remember offhand what the default key for 'chocks' is but you'll need to know it to take off from aircraft carriers. If you can't find a key chart (I'm very sure there is a .PDF version in the game folder) then take a look in the Controls section to see what keys are assigned by default.

Make sure you look over the community FAQ for answers to common problems; many bits of advice may correspond to features you didn't even know were included in the sim. Finally, look over the read-me in the game folder for game information.

I agree that the manual's documentation is very poor in how it relates to specific features of various aircraft.

Tully__
12-22-2005, 11:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't remember offhand what the default key for 'chocks' is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There isn't one, you have to assign it yourself.
For the rest of the controls, the default keyboard assignments can be found in the game folder under User\default.ini (open in Notepad or Wordpad).

zoinksu52
12-23-2005, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalaluth:
Try to have a look on this discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1161031143/r/1161031143#1161031143) .
Wildcat Training (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=429) was designed to help starting with PF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

outstanding! just what every noob needs.

and i kept thinking i was flying planes without an adjustable seat. toggle seat only works up and down with canopy open...not front to back.

these missions improved every part of my flying.

Tully__
12-24-2005, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zoinksu52:
and i kept thinking i was flying planes without an adjustable seat. toggle seat only works up and down with canopy open...not front to back.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Also only in 3 or 4 aircraft types and only if the pilot is in the comfortable "cruise" posture and not hunched over the sight to shoot (Shift-F1 to toggle).