PDA

View Full Version : Reflector gunsights on early P-40s

civildog
12-24-2004, 06:54 PM
I know this may seem picky to some , but why do the P-40B/C and Hawk-82 have reflector gunsights?

They were only equipped with ring and post sights according to everything I've ever seen and read about them. Including info from Curtis.

civildog
12-24-2004, 06:54 PM
I know this may seem picky to some , but why do the P-40B/C and Hawk-82 have reflector gunsights?

They were only equipped with ring and post sights according to everything I've ever seen and read about them. Including info from Curtis.

PBNA-Boosher
12-24-2004, 07:01 PM
The ring and post sights were ripped out by the AVG and they put up reflector sights, and many Army units by 1940-41. They replaced it with a standard army reflector sight.

civildog
12-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Then if that's the case, since according to AVG pictures that show no reflector sights we ought to have one without, too.

After all we have the early export Hawk with a reflector (and it shouldn't, the ones the AVG "appropriated from the shipment to the Brits didn't), we a B and C model P-40 ad the only difference between them are self-sealing tanks and a belly tank in the C. So why not have historically accurate early 'Hawks w/o reflector gunsights?