PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Using Rudder Pedals?

ytareh
05-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Just started using them after 3 years on twist grip.Finding it weird,ineffective and uncomfortable ...oh and weird!Anyone got any tips/advice.For starters I assume Im right when I press left foot planes yaws to the left?Do people use the rudder less with pedals?I find I barely ever use it now and use it badly when I do.....Help!Use all 100s settings or custom?dead zone?

ytareh
05-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Just started using them after 3 years on twist grip.Finding it weird,ineffective and uncomfortable ...oh and weird!Anyone got any tips/advice.For starters I assume Im right when I press left foot planes yaws to the left?Do people use the rudder less with pedals?I find I barely ever use it now and use it badly when I do.....Help!Use all 100s settings or custom?dead zone?

Philipscdrw
05-24-2007, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
I press left foot planes yaws to the left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that's correct.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do people use the rudder less with pedals?I find I barely ever use it now and use it badly when I do.....Help!Use all 100s settings or custom?dead zone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I find I use them slightly at the same time as the ailerons, I think. And whenever I notice the slip-ball I try to balance it ('tread on the ball', if it's to the right then apply right rudder, but it's often better to use rudder trim from the keyboard).

I find it really useful when landing. Side-slipping is a great way to slow down to the point where you can drop the gear. Apply full rudder in one direction and hold the wings level or banked the other way with the ailerons. And I use the pedals a lot to keep the nose straight on takeoff and landing and while taxying (I do lock the tailwheel but I'm never lined up perfectly straight...)

It's also useful when aiming the guns, to apply a bit of rudder to adjust the aim. But if you're using lots of rudder then you're probably going to miss anyway, and you're wasting energy by side-slipping.

I don't know what I've set the response curve as, but I don't think there's anything particularly wonderful about my settings, so it's probably best if someone else helps there!

Akronnick
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
The transition from twist stick to rudder pedals can be a bit hairy, but keep at it, and your 1337 rudderskilz will be r()XX()r_s in no time.

rnzoli
05-25-2007, 12:08 AM
best practice tip: lose your ailerons in an overspeed dive, and then land your bird with rudder only http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(a safer alternative: unmap your aileron control temporarily in QMB instead of the high speed dive - you might lose your entire wing faster than your ailerons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Rammathorn_
05-25-2007, 01:38 AM
I found it very weird too when I made the transition. At first (I still had the same stick) I would try to move my foot to match the twist I was naturally doing with my wrist. After a while (and some time off) I started using the pedals a lot more naturally and by now I never find myself twisting the stick.

It takes a lot of pratice, and its a nightmare to land a plane or aim a shot at first, but eventually you get used to it. Whether or not its better, I can't say, but you definitely have a higher degree of control.

tagTaken2
05-25-2007, 06:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
For starters I assume Im right when I press left foot planes yaws to the left?Do people use the rudder less with pedals?.. Use all 100s settings or custom?dead zone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getiing used to the left/left yaw definitely will take a week or two.

You can use rudder a lot less with pedals. Feel free to ignore this if you like, but I use rudder as I need it. To aim with, to correct stalls, and to land. I don't try to fly co-ordinated flight, that's for MSFS fans. There's even some anecdotal opinion that bad, skiddy flying was less likely to get you shot down in RL. Plus I'm lazy.

Here are my rudder settings, for what it's worth, everybody's style is different.

CH Pro Pedals:

0 0 3 9 15 22 29 38 50 68 98 0

Bearcat99
05-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Just started using them after 3 years on twist grip.Finding it weird,ineffective and uncomfortable ...oh and weird!Anyone got any tips/advice.For starters I assume Im right when I press left foot planes yaws to the left?Do people use the rudder less with pedals?I find I barely ever use it now and use it badly when I do.....Help!Use all 100s settings or custom?dead zone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im curious what twist stick are you using ... if it is a Saitek,.. now that you have pedals you can turn the rudder into a banded switch and assign + - rudder trim to that. Your ball/needle will tell you where you are...

T_O_A_D
05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
I just set my twist MMFB to the rudder trim axis, It really makes using the bomb sight a cinch for target line up.

Zoom2136
05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
It will take you about 1 to 2 weeks of constant flying to get use to them... after that you will ask yourself how you did without them...

Also setting an "exponantial curve" in your Z axis in your conf.ini file will also help...

ytareh
05-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Joystick is Cougar HOTAS BC.Thanks for all the help guys!

Worf101
05-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Joystick is Cougar HOTAS BC.Thanks for all the help guys! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One Kitty owner to another... Welcome aboard. I'm using Simped F-16Cs.

Da Worfster