PDA

View Full Version : Charging the Guns

Saunders1953
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Given Oleg's attention to detail, does anyone know why he didn't model a procedure for charging your guns? We've all read of many instances where even the best of pilots got into a scrap before they realized they hadn't activated their weapons. I think it would add to the immersion if we had that to think of as well, although I'd probably routinely do it as soon as possible after forming up. But then, I still forget to set my flaps before takeoff once in a while, so I'm sure I'd forget to do that too.

Saunders1953
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Given Oleg's attention to detail, does anyone know why he didn't model a procedure for charging your guns? We've all read of many instances where even the best of pilots got into a scrap before they realized they hadn't activated their weapons. I think it would add to the immersion if we had that to think of as well, although I'd probably routinely do it as soon as possible after forming up. But then, I still forget to set my flaps before takeoff once in a while, so I'm sure I'd forget to do that too.

Redneckonyour6
08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Or how about the B-25 RPW warning? Says don't operate continously over 2100 rpm which is 70% prop pitch. I can zip around all day at 100% prop pitch. So, for immersion I fly at 70% prop but when in formation or a hurry I zoom up to 100% knowing that I will incur no damage.

Ankanor
08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
my wild guess is it's the same reason we don't have the "open canopy and unstrap before parachuting" keys - it's just a unnecessary detail that will do more bad than good. people compaining about the manual gear are enough http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
08-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Instead of "How come I can't take off from a carrier?" we'll have "How come my guns don't fire? I pressed the button!"

Some things I think are unnecessary. I feel that sims should be accurate to a point...but much of that accuracy should behind the hood in how the game deals with physics, sound, and visuals. I love managing my engine, operating the landing gear, manually lowering gear when its damaged, and all that good stuff. But there are some details like charging guns, setting radio freqencies before takeoff, and all that...and I wonder if its just way too much.

We have over 130 flyable warbirds. Many of them had different start up procedures and the like. Adding too many layers of detail may make many of those not be accessible...

VFA-25_Peckens
08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
i wish guns could jam when fired

FritzGryphon
08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Jam when fired? That'd make them hard to use.

And most guns couldn't be charged in flight anyway, save for some nose mounted ones that stick into the cockpit.

Stackhouse25th
08-12-2005, 11:31 PM
all i want is rearm refuel, so i can keep on killin with the same plane over and over.

WEar and Tear on my plane as an added bonus to the aformention feature.

Fehler
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stackhouse25th:
all i want is rearm refuel, so i can keep on killin with the same plane over and over.

WEar and Tear on my plane as an added bonus to the aformention feature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely remember Oleg saying that this would be a feature in BoB. Using the same plane over an entire campaign, wear and tear modeled. I think it is a nice idea.. Let's hope our ground crew are up to the challenge! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Saunders1953
08-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Fritz--I fly Zeroes and P40's alot. But my question was meant to cover gunswitches too.

My question wasn't not a complaint, btw, just wondering why he didn't throw that in considering some of the other detail he has, like the level bombing procedures.

Platypus_1.JaVA
08-13-2005, 02:23 AM
The guns charging issue doesn't really bother me. However, has anyone accidentally pushed the bomb release button when you are still on the runway?

ClnlSandersLite
08-13-2005, 02:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Jam when fired? That'd make them hard to use.

And most guns couldn't be charged in flight anyway, save for some nose mounted ones that stick into the cockpit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good, no more firing during a high g maneuver. Actually, it would probably be good if you couldn't look around during a high g maneuver as well.

ClnlSandersLite
08-13-2005, 02:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
The guns charging issue doesn't really bother me. However, has anyone accidentally pushed the bomb release button when you are still on the runway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Been there done that. The one I really love is when you don't check your throttle position before starting the engine and you roll into anything that happens to be in front of you as soon as the engine gives power...

Fox_3
08-13-2005, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
The guns charging issue doesn't really bother me. However, has anyone accidentally pushed the bomb release button when you are still on the runway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Been there done that. The one I really love is when you don't check your throttle position before starting the engine and you roll into anything that happens to be in front of you as soon as the engine gives power... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AAaaaH! The classic. Been there, done that so many times. My first online coop LOL!