PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for guards.

worsecuve
10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
since i have been playing AC2 & AC:B i realized that most of the people that say the guards are too easy are right.

Here i have a couple ideas i think would add a great addition to the series.

#1 I have noticed that i you get into a conflict on the ground that the archers on the roof barley ever help the guards on the ground and that when they do they jump down onto the ground and shoot at you. I think that if the archers and gunmen stayed on the rooftops and shot at you that this would add somewhat of a challenge to guard fighting.

#2 Guards should team up and attack you at the same time instead of taking turns to beat on you.

#3 Sometimes wile fighting i noticed that the last guy or two sometimes run away. I think it would be great if they ran away to get backup. Or that if they do get away your notoriety wil go up slightly as if they reported you.

#4 More aware guards. The more notorious you are i think the more the guards should be aware. For example once you get notorious guards will start looking up at rooftops and saying things such as "Look out for the assassin.". Another great example of awareness is this.

Say its a sunny day out and you are on the rooftops. Obviously you will cast a shadow onto the ground at a certain point. I think it would be pretty awesome if that when you go to do a air assassination and a guard see`s the shadow he will quickly jump out the way.

That is all i have for now but comment and tell me if you like the idea or not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

worsecuve
10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
since i have been playing AC2 & AC:B i realized that most of the people that say the guards are too easy are right.

#1 I have noticed that i you get into a conflict on the ground that the archers on the roof barley ever help the guards on the ground and that when they do they jump down onto the ground and shoot at you. I think that if the archers and gunmen stayed on the rooftops and shot at you that this would add somewhat of a challenge to guard fighting.

#2 Guards should team up and attack you at the same time instead of taking turns to beat on you.

#3 Sometimes wile fighting i noticed that the last guy or two sometimes run away. I think it would be great if they ran away to get backup. Or that if they do get away your notoriety wil go up slightly as if they reported you.

#4 More aware guards. The more notorious you are i think the more the guards should be aware. For example once you get notorious guards will start looking up at rooftops and saying things such as "Look out for the assassin.". Another great example of awareness is this.

Say its a sunny day out and you are on the rooftops. Obviously you will cast a shadow onto the ground at a certain point. I think it would be pretty awesome if that when you go to do a air assassination and a guard see`s the shadow he will quickly jump out the way.

That is all i have for now but comment and tell me if you like the idea or not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

NuclearFuss
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
#3 already happens. At least the notoriety part.

worsecuve
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sackboy411:
#3 already happens. At least the notoriety part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah it goes up from the actual killing when the fight is over but i don`t think it goes up like that.

Then again..............Maybe i`m wrong.

naran6142
10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
guards shooting at u from the roof tops could get really annoying. it might work better withthe new system being able to use range and melee weapons at the sametime

but when archers joined regular guards in ACB, it just messed up the combat

Jexx21
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Number 4 also happens. When you are Notorious the guards notice you more. Practically to the point that once you are in their range of vision they get suspicious.

I like the idea of Number 1. With keeping them on their posts. I never noticed that they actually climb down to fight. That practically negates the point of being a rooftop guard who analyzes the streets below.

I don't like number two that much however, seeing as the guards probably didn't go through many teamwork exercises... And the only way to provide a decent system of that would to allow you to have a way to fight two of them directly at once. And if it's not fluid, no deal. I'd rather keep the fluid combat system we have right now where it's one guard at a time.

worsecuve
10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
Number 4 also happens. When you are Notorious the guards notice you more. Practically to the point that once you are in their range of vision they get suspicious.

I like the idea of Number 1. With keeping them on their posts. I never noticed that they actually climb down to fight. That practically negates the point of being a rooftop guard who analyzes the streets below.

I don't like number two that much however, seeing as the guards probably didn't go through many teamwork exercises... And the only way to provide a decent system of that would to allow you to have a way to fight two of them directly at once. And if it's not fluid, no deal. I'd rather keep the fluid combat system we have right now where it's one guard at a time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What i mean by teaming up is more like hitting you 1 after the other instead of every 10 seconds.

Jexx21
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
They sorta do that.

Calvarok
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Rooftop guards should definately fire at you. It gives you motivation to escape fights, instead of fighting no matter where you are.

And I agree that guards should have a bigger awareness sphere, and notice you at the sound of running, if you're notorious.

Animuses
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Guards should be less annoying. Between throwing sand every two seconds and grabbing you from behind, it really makes combat a lot less fun.

AnthonyA85
10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I've actually experienced a rooftop archer shooting at me from his post while i'm fighting guards on the ground, this is in AC1, in Acre.

I've also noticed, in AC1, sometimes in AC2 and ACB, on the odd ocasion, of multiple guards attacking at once, but this only seems to happen when Altiar/Ezio is cornered.

And I hate the guards with spears/halbeards; they break my kill streaks. Always.

I'm actually hoping that the guards will be alot tougher, as in Templar Knight tough.

And I'm really hoping there are guard architypes who can see through Ezio's blending, and instantly ID him (like the templar knights in AC1)

Jexx21
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Templar Knights can instantly ID Altiar? They're hard?

I don't know why people always use that as an example. I must have a differently coded game, because I can be right in a templar's line of sight and he won't notice me even with a weapon out. And they're so easy to kill...

NewBlade200
10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by naran6142:
when archers joined regular guards in ACB, it just messed up the combat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This x100.

I cannot begin to count how many times the game changes between melee combat and CQC because there were crossbow men. I nearly died once because the game kept changing between normal combat and horse fighting (nearly is a key word there).

If they made it so that the crossbow men die in 1 hit then it would be far less annoying. I also heard that there would be no more horses so I guess that solves the horse problem.

InfectedNation
10-11-2011, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
Templar Knights can instantly ID Altiar? They're hard?

I don't know why people always use that as an example. I must have a differently coded game, because I can be right in a templar's line of sight and he won't notice me even with a weapon out. And they're so easy to kill... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh they can instantly ID you... But they are pathetically short-sighted you see... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
And they're hard to kill if you're not very good at fighting (Eg: COUNTERCOUNTERCOUNTERATTACK)

AnthonyA85
10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
They can also counter your counters, and, they can be hard to kill early on in the game, before you get the counter kill skill back.

blazefp
10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by worsecuve:
Say its a sunny day out and you are on the rooftops. Obviously you will cast a shadow onto the ground at a certain point. I think it would be pretty awesome if that when you go to do a air assassination and a guard see`s the shadow he will quickly jump out the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah they didn't had time. And imagine is just the shadow of a bird, like the falcons we use to see on the viewpoints, they would jump and get ready to attack and then nothing "Ooops I thought it was an Assassin".
What I don't like in air assassinations is that Ezio follows the guard movement while he's still on the air. Sometimes he jumps forwards and kills the guard some meters behind

E-Zekiel
10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by worsecuve:

That is all i have for now but comment and tell me if you like the idea or not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. This does not need to change..it's kind of realistic. They do join the fight, kind of - but as I understand it, you are saying they should do more. Well, when they join fights I'm in, usually, they end up shooting their friends more often than they shoot me. And this is exactly why they don't and should continue not to really do much so long as they are at risk of shooting allies.

2. I don't disagree here, but to be honest, to an extent this is another realism factor. Generally even when mobbed, if there are edged-weapons out, in general, you will only likely ever get two people attacking you at once - one from front and one from back - or perhaps even three. For the same reason, as well. Don't want to be slicing and dicing your allies. I would be okay with 2-3 at once, but it is simply not realistic nor would it be conducive to fun gameplay if every guard that's engaged in combat with you all attacked independently while ignoring the presence of other guards.

3. Sometimes, maybe. Notoriety always increases. But from an "in-character" standpoint, some of these people who run away aren't running away because they want to go get help and spill your guts...They're running because they don't want to die. Returning with friends will increase their chances of dying, relative to just running away and not coming back.

4. This pretty much always happens, and it's not particularly realistic for basic guards everywhere to be constantly on the alert and on the lookout, EVEN IF you're notorious. Things like this would have to be specific to high-priority areas (using generic examples: top floor of some king's castle, the church that the pope has stopped at to give a speech, etc etc). In these cases, that would make sense.