PDA

View Full Version : Should kicking the rudder to the side stop moving you after a while?

Ba5tard5word
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
The topic title probably doesn't make sense. I have CH rudder pedals and they've been pretty good to me. When I kick the rudder hard to one side and keep it at max, I'll yaw to the side accordingly, but at a certain point the plane will stop yawing. Is that how it's supposed to be? I don't know why but I get the feeling that in the past with other configuration files or other rudder devices I could keep the rudder at max to one side and I'd keep moving. If I think about a plane's tail with the rudder out to one side I don't get how the plane stops yawing after a certain point--if you keep pulling back on your stick you don't stop pulling up after a certain point...but then what do I know about aerodynamics, not much.

Sorry for the Raaid-style topic but I've been wondering about this for a while, I just get this weird feeling that my rudder shouldn't stop the yawing after a certain point.

Ba5tard5word
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
The topic title probably doesn't make sense. I have CH rudder pedals and they've been pretty good to me. When I kick the rudder hard to one side and keep it at max, I'll yaw to the side accordingly, but at a certain point the plane will stop yawing. Is that how it's supposed to be? I don't know why but I get the feeling that in the past with other configuration files or other rudder devices I could keep the rudder at max to one side and I'd keep moving. If I think about a plane's tail with the rudder out to one side I don't get how the plane stops yawing after a certain point--if you keep pulling back on your stick you don't stop pulling up after a certain point...but then what do I know about aerodynamics, not much.

Sorry for the Raaid-style topic but I've been wondering about this for a while, I just get this weird feeling that my rudder shouldn't stop the yawing after a certain point.

WTE_Galway
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
The vertical stabilizer (tail) naturally tends to correct any excess yaw as yaw will increase the angle of attack of the vertical stabilizer. You therefore need to apply continuous rudder just to maintain yaw against the tendency to return to straight.

I suppose another way of thinking about it is the rudder changes the angle of attack of the vertical stabilizer and you are adjusting the amount and direction of the correction in the yaw axis applied by the vertical stabilizer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If you think about it logically - you cannot keep yawing indefinitely anyway as the vertical stabilizer will eventually stall (a ninety degree yaw sees it flat on to the airflow) and you will lose all rudder authority.

tomtheyak
03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

I suppose another way of thinking about it is the rudder changes the angle of attack of the vertical stabilizer and you are adjusting the amount and direction of the correction in the yaw axis applied by the vertical stabilizer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo! Give that man a medal. Or a pint.

I'd take a pint, fwiw.

M_Gunz
03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Are you letting the wings bank as you jam rudder or are you putting in opposite side-stick?

Ie, are you turning or crabbing?

Bearcat99
03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
No.... kicking the rudder will make you slew.. and you should stay that way until you straighten it out.. It is the same if you took your rudder trim and moved it to one side... You would stay untrimmed and flying crooked until you fixed it..

M_Gunz
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Unless you work the ailerons against it, kicking the rudder to the side should cause your plane to roll. That's slip-roll coupling.

There are a lot of things that pilots do without thinking much about if at all, just as you don't think about all you do when walking, but these things do make a difference.