PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Russian fighters



DKoor
10-01-2007, 01:46 PM
What are yours fav USSR WW2 fighters in game?
I was always kinda fan of Lavochkins, not because of their superior performance, but because of their looks.....

Vipez-
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Yak has the best looks, especially the Yak-9U http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

JG4_Helofly
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Yak ftw. It looks very streamlined. And it shows you how to put high performance in such a small aircraft.

FritzGryphon
10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
What, no I-16?

F19_Orheim
10-01-2007, 02:23 PM
i-16 i-153

BY-WEST_KIS
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Yakovlev Yak-3 has no equal opponents in the game. The best russian fighter. But his disadvantage - few ammo.

JG53Frankyboy
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
the MiG-3s.
espacially the MiG-3 AM38, a true low level monster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i always loved their look, long before this game was released !

joeap
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Yaks, then Migs.

TheCrux
10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Mig3, especially the AM38 model and the ultr-rare 3U. Nice flying A/C with nice cockpits with gauges readble enough to forgo the speedbar.

Performance is just right. High enough to best others when you use your head, but not so high it becomes a noob A/C and takes the fun of the challenge away.

And just plain old underdog appeal. Looks nice too, though not so much ingame ( exterior view graphics a bit to chisled looking, too "facet-ty" for my tastes )

DKoor
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
The common plague is poor diving speed.........I absolutely hate when ac starts to shake then loses aileron or something on, what seem to be absolutely tolerable speed, when US, UK or German aircraft are concerned.
You can only watching E/A running away from you at high speed.

VW-IceFire
10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Love the Yaks!

Stew278
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
For pure looks, I'd have to say the Mig 3's. The Mig 3 was the plane I was most excited about trying when this game was released. It does seem like once the 109F's arrive they are becoming outclassed in the game performance wise though. Also, like most early Soviet planes they are rather weakly armed. Still they are beautiful planes and effective fighters once you learn their quirks/flaws.

Although I'd have to say the late war Yak's run a close second in my book, both for their excellent performance and good looks.

R_Target
10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Another vote for Mig 3 if we're going by looks.

LEXX_Luthor
10-01-2007, 09:10 PM
WW2 -- MiGs are the best. Post-war, of course, I like others better -- I'm contrarian like that. Porkyson (sp?) loved the MiG-3 but he knew how to be successful in it.

2nd is I-16, the ultimate BnZ fighter after SPAD.

Daiichidoku
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
you lump the 185 in with the migs and "early models"?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Cajun76
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
MiG-3 for sexiness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/upperviewa.jpg

Always reminded me of the Mako 'Vettes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/W73HV_CH008_aa.jpg

La-7 also looks sweet, very clean.

Need option for heavy fighter, Pe-3bis looks awesome too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Don't like the yaks too much, but the the Yak-9U is pretty good looking.

LEBillfish
10-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I-16 #1, PE3 #2, LA5 #3

Bearcat99
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I always liked the LAs... since IL2. LAs vs Zeros & Tonys is an interesting matchup...

TheGozr
10-01-2007, 11:22 PM
To me are Mig3U, yak9U, Yak7m82

WOLFMondo
10-02-2007, 12:41 AM
P39. :P

Jure_502
10-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Early models. Just beacuse of thier look. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But Lavockhins are for me one of the most terrible looking planes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Kurfurst__
10-02-2007, 03:35 AM
I find it hard to decide between the Yak 3 and Mig 3... but I think it's the Yak. Wonderful looking aircraft!

Bremspropeller
10-02-2007, 04:15 AM
The Yak for looks.

DKoor
10-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
you lump the 185 in with the migs and "early models"?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif True I shoulda put it into category "Other" along with I-250 etc.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
I-16 Type 24 is easily one of the most underutilized and underrated rides in early-war scenarios. Cannons, rockets, big-@ssed bombs and turns like a bumblebee.

...and it's open cockpit too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Feathered_IV
10-02-2007, 07:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

BGs_Ricky
10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Vipez-:
Yak has the best looks, especially the Yak-9U http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Brain32
10-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Yak's, nearly all 9 and 3 versions, I like the Yak-1 too, but Yak-7 is so unbelievably ugly I really fly it only when it's either that or one of those super-ugly and painfully boring I-16 or I-153 with which it takes me 20 minutes of "flight" to realize I stopped taxiing and actually am flying now.
MiG-3 looks kinda cool, but that's it, LaGG's are so-so, and other Lavochkins feel like Tour de France winner riding a bike with training wheels.
MiG-9 roXorz http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

DKoor
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I took those flying coffin LaGG-3S4s for a spin and ..... apart from monster durability they don't really hold some magic cards.
At times I can notice that extra heaviness that Oleg put (+300kg if I'm not mistaken).......before that they were really competitive fighters.
Online I doubt that they could put any kind of reasonable resistance vs human flown 109Fs.

LaGG-3S66 is a decent fighter.......with deck level top speed of 551km/h they should be able to hold their own vs German fighters.
S29 & S35 are noticeably slower fighters...
LA-5 (vanilla version) is not much faster than S66 - only 7km/h at deck!

LEXX_Luthor
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Brain32::
one of those super-ugly and painfully boring I-16 or I-153 with which it takes me 20 minutes of "flight" to realize I stopped taxiing and actually am flying now.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Smileys/LOL.gif http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Smileys/LOL.gif

hehehehe -- that's why I like the Polis. Always fun to fly, at all times. That and the negative gee flameout including with wheater turbulence adds to the challenge. I guess in The Sims, I'm always looking for something to do until I get to The Dogfight.

Brain, fly MiG-3 at high altitude, where diving is normally an option, although the MiG can't really dive.

leitmotiv
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I-16, I-153, LaGG-3 1941 (love the snout full of firepower), Yak-1 1941, Yak-9T, and the rest of the inline LaGGs

general_kalle
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
ditto

P39

JG52Karaya-X
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DKoor:
At times I can notice that extra heaviness that Oleg put (+300kg if I'm not mistaken).......before that they were really competitive fighters.
Online I doubt that they could put any kind of reasonable resistance vs human flown 109Fs.

LaGG-3S66 is a decent fighter.......with deck level top speed of 551km/h they should be able to hold their own vs German fighters.
S29 & S35 are noticeably slower fighters...

Well before the LaGG3s got fixed they not only were all 300kg too light but somehow they accidently all had the VK107 1500hp engine applied to them ingame http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm glad that they got corrected to realistic scale, before that they won whole 1941 map sets almost by themselves... quite an achievement for a "varnished guaranteed coffin"

PS: Having said that, I do fly them quite a lot offline as IMO they have the most "style" and "charm" of all russian fighters and the S35/S66 fighters arent that bad at all! The S4 is not the kind of crate I want to be facing 109F2/F4s in but with its very heavy armament (for russian standards) its the perfect ride to take down He111s, Ju88s and Ju87s.

DKoor
10-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes they do seem more "realistic" now according to the reports.
They weren't equal in performance to the Messerschmitts, such crazy "coffin" remarks weren't there for no reason.
Sure thing, they may exaggerated it a bit, but still, they were inferior.

BTW I never knew that S4 was fitted with VK107 1,500hp in game....http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Nice and unrealistic advantage, less mass and more power.
But sure, I noticed that they can win 1941 maps, everyone seem to flew them and I-16s at those times.

JG52Karaya-X
10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Oleg stated that they found out about that engine bug back when they fixed the whole LaGG3 series.

Daiichidoku
10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
i knew about the 300kg(!) underweight issue....but never the vk 107!

Karaya, please, your suorce for the lagg3s with vk 107 1500 hp?

JG52Karaya-X
10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3561060943/p/1


Another post from simhq:
____________________________________________
Only two things corrected in 4.02 - LaGG 3, model 4 DM and LaGG 3, model 35 FM (VK 107 engine parameters "slip" into code intead correct VK105PF). That's all folks..

CUJO_1970
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
For me it is the early Yak-9.

mortoma
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Strange to see all the people picking Yak in the looks dept. when the LA-5 and 7 are far prettier planes. There was even a quote from a famous German ace who called them beautiful!! There is nothing especially good looking about any of the Yaks. Not even the Yak-3. A very ordinary and plain looking beast all in all, while LAs are gorgeous and exquisite.

Also it's funny to see people stray away from them for fear of being called noobish or unskilled. I find it amusing and I don't think any airplane should be shied away from simply because it's good at what id does. You don't see the same thing with the Spits and they are uberish to say the least.

TheGozr
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
You can all fight in the HISTORIA server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mortoma
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by CUJO_1970:
For me it is the early Yak-9. You mean the ones that have the side of the fuselage that look like the side of a modern metal farm utility building/barn?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

han freak solo
10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
http://ef.1939-1945.net/photos/Moscow_016_LAGG-3.jpg

msalama
10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
The Yak-3 for looks and goofy wee Polikarpovs for fun, games and furballing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

woofiedog
10-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Mig-3ud... has great climb and speed for one of the early war Birds and it also carries a fair amount of fire power.

knightflyte
10-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Cajun76:
MiG-3 for sexiness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/upperviewa.jpg

Always reminded me of the Mako 'Vettes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Cajun76/W73HV_CH008_aa.jpg

La-7 also looks sweet, very clean.

Need option for heavy fighter, Pe-3bis looks awesome too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Don't like the yaks too much, but the the Yak-9U is pretty good looking.


I've always thought this car reminded me of a MiG-3

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/knightgames/67toronado-270.jpg


Corvette fits a little better.

DKoor
10-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Strange to see all the people picking Yak in the looks dept. when the LA-5 and 7 are far prettier planes. There was even a quote from a famous German ace who called them beautiful!! There is nothing especially good looking about any of the Yaks. Not even the Yak-3. A very ordinary and plain looking beast all in all, while LAs are gorgeous and exquisite.

Also it's funny to see people stray away from them for fear of being called noobish or unskilled. I find it amusing and I don't think any airplane should be shied away from simply because it's good at what id does. You don't see the same thing with the Spits and they are uberish to say the least. +100

DKoor
10-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
http://ef.1939-1945.net/photos/Moscow_016_LAGG-3.jpg Delta wood FTW http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

CUJO_1970
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CUJO_1970:
For me it is the early Yak-9. You mean the ones that have the side of the fuselage that look like the side of a modern metal farm utility building/barn?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, the first one that got the "bubble" type canopy. For me, this is the most realistic feeling of all the Russian birds.

MLudner
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Yak. It's my Uberwussmachine (read, La-7) exterminator. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I fly the Yak-3P when I get annoyed at the Wussmachines (Spits) and Uberwussmachines and decide to hunt them down.

But, a smart La or Spit pilot just out-runs it. It's biggest problem is it's too slow.

The Yak-9K is my favorite Yak. Slow, but agile enough to cope with Spits and almost cope with La's, that 45mm cannon is a lark. I love the way aircraft spin then disintegrate when I hit them with it.

Grand_Armee
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I love to see all of the Russian fighters under my guns. Especially the La-7. With the exception of the sleek Mig-3 they are all squat, ugly, little toadies.

I've 'flown' a few of them and think: Ick! Everytime I 'fly' in one I wonder why I have done this. I feel soiled. So, I return back to something as beautiful as it is menacing.

Dagnabit
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Yaks!! First ya get high..Then ya get down!!

Dag

triad773
10-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:


I've always thought this car reminded me of a MiG-3

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/knightgames/67toronado-270.jpg


Corvette fits a little better.

Dooooooood........... SCHWEEEEEEET.

Where'd you get that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Valhelmo
10-05-2007, 11:14 PM
As for looks, I'v always been torn between the Yaks and Migs.

Performance-wise in the game, I gotta go with the Yaks. They do what I want them to most of the time but their armament is pretty scheisty.

joeap
10-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Grand_Armee:
I love to see all of the Russian fighters under my guns. Especially the La-7. With the exception of the sleek Mig-3 they are all squat, ugly, little toadies.

I've 'flown' a few of them and think: Ick! Everytime I 'fly' in one I wonder why I have done this. I feel soiled. So, I return back to something as beautiful as it is menacing.

A zooworthy post indeed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif