PDA

View Full Version : The yaw and the stalling speed

jugent
08-18-2005, 03:30 AM
In the early days of IL2 I was forced to get rudder-pedals to fly better.

Much else can be said about how the aircrafts was modelled in IL2, but it has been thousands of threads about it.

It was hard to correct the yaw in non-trim able aircrafts like the Me and FW by twisting the joystick.

When I flew with rudders I found out that,
The Me-109 became another aircraft when you centred the ball (inclinometer).
The stall-speed became lower especially in tight turns.
I started to hit targets.

In FB/AEP the effects of the yaw has been reduced.
In PF patch 4.01 the significance of yaw is reintroduced but not so clear as in IL2.
I don€t find any difference in stall-speed and accuracy in aerial gunnery.
I read in the German report of 1945 about the La5 that

€œAcceleration is good ant the distances relatively short (flaps 15-20º) correct settings of the elevator and rudder trimmers must be watched€
This should be included in the flight model.

€œDynamic directional stability is weak and damping sis bad. Yawing oscillations only damp out slowly. €œ
The La5 flies absolutely stabile to me.

€œ With yaw or further airspeed reduction the aircraft drops a wing€

I haven€t found out that further yaw makes aircrafts stall more easily.

This things points out that the effects of the yaw is sub dimensioned.

jugent
08-18-2005, 03:30 AM
In the early days of IL2 I was forced to get rudder-pedals to fly better.

Much else can be said about how the aircrafts was modelled in IL2, but it has been thousands of threads about it.

It was hard to correct the yaw in non-trim able aircrafts like the Me and FW by twisting the joystick.

When I flew with rudders I found out that,
The Me-109 became another aircraft when you centred the ball (inclinometer).
The stall-speed became lower especially in tight turns.
I started to hit targets.

In FB/AEP the effects of the yaw has been reduced.
In PF patch 4.01 the significance of yaw is reintroduced but not so clear as in IL2.
I don€t find any difference in stall-speed and accuracy in aerial gunnery.
I read in the German report of 1945 about the La5 that

€œAcceleration is good ant the distances relatively short (flaps 15-20º) correct settings of the elevator and rudder trimmers must be watched€
This should be included in the flight model.

€œDynamic directional stability is weak and damping sis bad. Yawing oscillations only damp out slowly. €œ
The La5 flies absolutely stabile to me.

€œ With yaw or further airspeed reduction the aircraft drops a wing€

I haven€t found out that further yaw makes aircrafts stall more easily.

This things points out that the effects of the yaw is sub dimensioned.

F19_Ob
08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
I agree.

I have only tested pedals ( don't have'em) but it's very different from a twist-stick.
I assume the short travel-distance in the twist-stick forces big movement with less input, wich isn't so good.

I also found while testing a Thrustmaster cougar stick and throttle that If I enabled rudder on one of the wheels on the throttle I could get smooth rudder, comparable to the pedals.

I will go for this latter setup when I can afford it but I think pedals would be the best of the two.
And yes. Stallspeed handling is better with smooth rudder. I could do many precise maneuvers wich I cant do so well with my twist-stick, no doubt.
Also the swinging of the nose is much gentler with precise rudder. Not so much swinging back and forth.

I very much think it gives the edge online so if one can, I absolutely recommend aquiring these gadgets.