PDA

View Full Version : Some issues with visibility

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:18 AM
1- I'm running FB mostly offline at max details on a good computer, with latest untweaked catalyst drivers, but I have really a hard time following planes against the ground:
Standard camos/skins are far too efficient.

Since the precise shape of distant planes is difficult to reproduce in a computer game, wouldnt it be logical to add some effects so that we can play without icons ? i.e: random flashes of light when the sun reflects on a plane, or skins becoming slightly darker with the range.

2- When playing nightfighters campains, the flashing text (messages, engine status, etc) is very disturbing. Would it be possible to have an option for removing it in the same way we can get rid of sound messages ?

3- More broadly, I think the position of the text (messages, engine status, radiator, pitch) is badly choosen. It is mainly displayed outside the cockpit, against the sky, and it is very annoying in a middle of a fight. Also, that's not really pretty nor realistic.

What about displaying those messages at the bottom of the screen or upper left, with smaller polices, less agressive colors ? Or be able to choose different levels/priorities for messages so that the buffer doesnt reach the middle of the screen ?

Many games make a good use of a bar with symbolic icons at the bottom of the screen. IL2/FB already have a kind of primitive bar for speed, altitude and vector. It would be easy to add radiator/temp status, pitch, maybe rpm and messages ... and remove the whole icons bar when playing at full real settings.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:18 AM
1- I'm running FB mostly offline at max details on a good computer, with latest untweaked catalyst drivers, but I have really a hard time following planes against the ground:
Standard camos/skins are far too efficient.

Since the precise shape of distant planes is difficult to reproduce in a computer game, wouldnt it be logical to add some effects so that we can play without icons ? i.e: random flashes of light when the sun reflects on a plane, or skins becoming slightly darker with the range.

2- When playing nightfighters campains, the flashing text (messages, engine status, etc) is very disturbing. Would it be possible to have an option for removing it in the same way we can get rid of sound messages ?

3- More broadly, I think the position of the text (messages, engine status, radiator, pitch) is badly choosen. It is mainly displayed outside the cockpit, against the sky, and it is very annoying in a middle of a fight. Also, that's not really pretty nor realistic.

What about displaying those messages at the bottom of the screen or upper left, with smaller polices, less agressive colors ? Or be able to choose different levels/priorities for messages so that the buffer doesnt reach the middle of the screen ?

Many games make a good use of a bar with symbolic icons at the bottom of the screen. IL2/FB already have a kind of primitive bar for speed, altitude and vector. It would be easy to add radiator/temp status, pitch, maybe rpm and messages ... and remove the whole icons bar when playing at full real settings.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 03:24 PM
I finally had to turn the monitor displayed chatter off. If I recall, its the NoChatter switch. Set to 1 and it turns off.

Here is mine, currently. When I get around to memorizing all the cockpits, I will turn the hudlog off too.

Intro=0
NoSubTitles=1
NoChatter=1
NoHudLog=0

Just thinking, you could go in and put blank spaces or otherwise change the displayed radio chatter in the files for these. Its in the iL8n folder in the basic FB folder.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tip Luthor.
I'll make a good use of it till the whole visibility issue is addressed in a next patch or a new sim.
Regards.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I agree I'd like to play iconless, but can't see a bloody thing when I am flying at higher altitude (mandatory for P-47) and that sucks! There are so much cockpit in the way why won't the developers just give in and give us a darker silhouette when viewing other planes or dots from a distance to make them stand out more esp. against the terrain?