PDA

View Full Version : Facial animations

Improvizor
11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
That was a lovely facial technology experiment Ubisoft. Now please don't do it again.

More realistic graphics don't make for a better experience in this game. I think we are all used to how the characters looked like in previous games, and to lose that sense of familiarity for some extra polygons is not a good tradeoff. There was nothing wrong with facial animations in Brotherhood. They were a good upgrade from cartoonish AC2 animations (which I still liked) and they added a lot to those characters without changing their faces. Desmond looks very different, and that's messed up. Ezio's facial features are also changed. I realize that he's older, but that's not the issue. His cheekbones are different. It doesn't matter now cause he won't be appearing anymore, but for the love of all that is sacred (like Assassin's Creed) don't use that technology in next AC game. Or at least if you do, find a way to make the returning characters look like themselves.

Improvizor
11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
That was a lovely facial technology experiment Ubisoft. Now please don't do it again.

More realistic graphics don't make for a better experience in this game. I think we are all used to how the characters looked like in previous games, and to lose that sense of familiarity for some extra polygons is not a good tradeoff. There was nothing wrong with facial animations in Brotherhood. They were a good upgrade from cartoonish AC2 animations (which I still liked) and they added a lot to those characters without changing their faces. Desmond looks very different, and that's messed up. Ezio's facial features are also changed. I realize that he's older, but that's not the issue. His cheekbones are different. It doesn't matter now cause he won't be appearing anymore, but for the love of all that is sacred (like Assassin's Creed) don't use that technology in next AC game. Or at least if you do, find a way to make the returning characters look like themselves.

kalo.yanis
11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Right, so this rant has nothing to do with the actual facial animations. I think you've got your terms mixed up there.

thunderman1959
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I totally agree. They should have kept Ezio's face the same as it was in Brotherhood for the most part. The most they should have done was make his beard with a slight touch of gray. At the end of Brotherhood he was 48 years old and 52 years old in Revelations. I dought that Ezio would have really aged as fast as they made it seem within 4 years. They totally made him look like an old grandpa in Revelations.

Smegger_56
11-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Why they changed the look of Ezio/Desmond/Altair is beyond me. They looked worse IMO.It grew on me, but that unfamiliarity took me out of the game. I got used to it, but DAMN ubi...

manu_erizo
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I think the facial animations were incredible. I understand Ezio looks drastically different than he did in Brotherhood, but it always bugged me how in the previous games he looked exactly the same in the span of 30 years, except for the beard he grew at the end of 2. Ezio is not supposed to look the same at 17 and almost 50.

Desmond and Altair look pretty much the same way they did, only better.

YHHTQ
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
The facial animation for Federico was terrible. It's surprising so few talked about it. Was he having a stroke at the time?

LaCava1
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YHHTQ:
The facial animation for Federico was terrible. It's surprising so few talked about it. Was he having a stroke at the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

YHHTQ
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triforceman5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YHHTQ:
The facial animation for Federico was terrible. It's surprising so few talked about it. Was he having a stroke at the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you.

zhengyingli
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I do remember that piece of interesting yet questionable animation project. I think very few of us remembered it due to its limited appearance.

As for the model for Desmond, I would blame the Animus because whenever Revelations shows Desmond out of the Animus, he looked much closer to his previous appearances.

My thoughts on purely facial animation used in this game? They're pretty good; not a single Federico moment, unless there's something small I missed in this game, too.

AssassinTrio
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I hate how they changed up a lot of people's faces......ok maybe 3, but 3 is still a lot to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Desmond looks entirely different. He looks a lot more mature in this game but he did look more likable in the other ones.

Smegger_56
11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AssassinTrio:
I hate how they changed up a lot of people's faces......ok maybe 3, but 3 is still a lot to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Desmond looks entirely different. He looks a lot more mature in this game but he did look more likable in the other ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The eyes where rounder and he didnt half show some teeth.

The the previous ones, they all looked... cool. The eyes looked wise and piercing. In Revelations, they looked... meh.

goclo822
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zhengyingli:
As for the model for Desmond, I would blame the Animus because whenever Revelations shows Desmond out of the Animus, he looked much closer to his previous appearances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah I was noticing that too but thought it might have just been the angle. In the real life sequence, he looked like how Desmond should look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smegger_56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AssassinTrio:

Desmond looks entirely different. He looks a lot more mature in this game but he did look more likable in the other ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The eyes where rounder and he didnt half show some teeth.

The the previous ones, they all looked... cool. The eyes looked wise and piercing. In Revelations, they looked... meh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what it was for me too, the eyes. I could have lived with the changes to his lips/mouth if his eyes were the same but they made them look so ordinary. Not Desmond at all.

ProletariatPleb
11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Uhm, that isn't Ezio's face after 4years, in Brotherhood, the same face was used for a long period of time(not sure...6-7years?) and so he didn't suddenly age that much in 4years.

Black_Widow9
11-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Please use the Find button to search for previously created Topics. If you have Feedback please do it in the appropriate Feedback Thread.
Thanks

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>