PDA

View Full Version : almost ready to fly scale WWII R/C planes

bolillo_loco
04-16-2005, 12:30 AM
not sure of the quality, but they are small, cheap, look to scale and each plane has a small video clip for it. just click on the pic of the plane and scroll down you will see where you can down load video clips. sorry if this was already posted by somebody else, I rarely come to this forum. Just thought some of you might enjoy it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scalelec.htm

Badsight.
04-16-2005, 01:21 AM
some of those are real nice

-HH-Dubbo
04-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Fantastic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

karost
04-16-2005, 02:24 AM
wow... thanks for the link, bolillo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

if fly RC simulator on pc for training....
I think FM. in RC simulator more terrible fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S~

Shakthamac
04-16-2005, 10:28 PM
those models are really sweet, might have to consider one as a gift to myself. Im not entirely convinced that not having landing gear is a good thing, but im sure they know whats up

FatBoyHK
04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Yes they are really good. Found them out some times ago, not that cheap but I am still consider it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

remember to check the videos, they are simply amazing!!!

3.JG51_BigBear
04-16-2005, 11:23 PM
I've been flying RC for about 11 years and I can honestly say there is very little fun to be had with those things. They're neat because they look like warbirds but they fly like kites, get bounced around in the wind, and don't stand up for long. At times they're harder to fly than the big boys because they're so unstable.

If you really want to get into the hobby you can get a trainer plane with a cheap nitrous gas powered engine and a cheap radio and learn how to fly something a little more solid. Its a great hobby.

-Shakthamac
On those planes you don't want a landing gear. You land them on grass. A landing gear light enough to mount on a plane that size would get mangled easily and probably end up destroying the plane if you don't have a landing surface that's as smooth as glass. You need to jockey the throttle before landing to get the prop parallel to the ground, shut the motor down completely, and then grease it in.

Jagdgeschwader2
04-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Did you watch the Bf 110 video? Looks like it has plenty of power. I think I might try that
later this summer. I would like to try my hand with one of the larger kits but I don't have a place close by to fly one. Those Hobby-Lobby kits are perfect for the park.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

Shakthamac
04-17-2005, 12:49 PM
When I was much younger, I got into RC planes for little while. This was after I had grown past my U-Control P39, and wanted something a little bit more exciting. So I had 2 trainers, one of em finished and ready to go, and the other 50% complete. I later bought a finished huge piper cub, minus engine and servos, with about a 5 ft wingspan as my next aquisition. My first time out flying, I let an experienced hand try my only working model. After the engine was started, we placed it into position, and watched it take off. It went straight up about 200 feet, then came straight down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif I was so p*ssed that I gave it up as a bad job, and started toying around with RC boats.

RedDeth
04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Shak you had an idiot fly your plane. if you EVER take up RC flying you go to an established field and have a trainer dude fly your plane. obviously it was NOT trimmed out.

these trainer guys will not crash your plane and they work for free. look up rc clubs in your area.

do not trust people who say they are experts. go to official fields. thats a sad story.

for the other guy that talks about the small electric planes. there are ups and downs to all planes. we have guy on our team who does electrics and he says they are a huge blast.

youve mentioned the negatives...high winds bad handling.

good points and number one for most on these forums is you get a very realistic warbird that flys.

and its not a headache to operate like a gas engine or fuel powered. easier maintenance.

landings are much more safe.

you can fly them slow and safely in a park. BIG PLUS.

they are very light weight and pretty harmless.

repairs are much cheaper on them and less likely to get totalled with a bad landing.

some of them can go 90 mph. and some like the luki are larger and similar in dynamics and weight to any fuel powered plane.

for me i flew a trainer and a stick for years and i plan on buying on of these. much less Mess and less headache and more ease of access to areas to fly .

CAPT_COTTON
04-17-2005, 03:56 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

I flew models since i was a kid in 50s cut the parts outa balsa with a razor blade and glued them together with comet glue [no snifing] http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

i am a founding member of the ozark flyers here in springdale ,arkanas.and i still have some ouarter scale planes hanging above my head rite now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

reddeth is right on[hate that] http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

building and learning to fly much easer with members and they laugh at you harder when you screew it in to ground or it flys away never to be seen again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

I will always think it should have worked? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Shakthamac
04-17-2005, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
Shak you had an idiot fly your plane. if you EVER take up RC flying you go to an established field and have a trainer dude fly your plane. obviously it was NOT trimmed out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was around 12 at the time, and this guy had lots of experience. We had a neighbor who was building and flying RC amphibians who said he was really good, so my father figured he knew more about it than us. I don't know that I would neccesarily call him an idiot, but I agree that he should have checked it out first.

3.JG51_BigBear
04-17-2005, 05:19 PM
At the field I'm at trainers are just as bad as everyone else, heck I'm a trainer. There could have been a number of things wrong with that bird. Sounds more like the radio cut out than a trim problem.

In my personal opinion, gas is king. My baby is a 35% Carden Cap 232 (old body style unfortunately with the thicker feus sides) with a twin cylinder 3W Modellmottren 150 (the desert aircraft 150 is a knock off of this engine but a lot more common in the US). I didn't build the plane I bought it from a competition guy who thought it was too heavy and switched to a carbon fiber/fiber glass bird. I charge her up the night before, go out there with six bucks in gas and I'm flying the whole day. Its an awesome hobby.

TheJoyStick
04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
RC planes rock. I used to live near a guy who'd put a small video camera in the cockpit and fly pretty low over traffic and stuff. He had some excellent videos.

My favorite was when he was flying his plane over/under stoplights. You shoulda seen the look on people's faces as he b-lined straight for their cars and pulled up at the last second.

Crazy fellow, lost contact with him when I moved, though =/

TX-EcoDragon
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I am all about the 33% Cardens and similar scale 3D beasts, and of course a nice scale warbird is fun too. . .but you know, as busy as my life has become in the past few years I sure am enjoying flying a 40 inch span 3D Foamy Raven at the local park! It's not any cheaper than even .60 sized glow aircraft, but obviously much cheaper than the 33% Edge, and of course there are no more fuel purchases every week, no need to drive to club strip, no need to deal with the guys flying the old timers in the pattern yelling at the acro pilots. . .

I also never really have to worry about a crash as I am comfortable enough to do knife efge passes with the aileron dragging, or tail touches from a torque roll knowing that if things get to crazy I can just cut the power and drop it in, you would of course be a very unhappy RC'er if you did that to a scale glow plane or 40% gasser, and with the foamy it's softer than many people's landings at speed. :-D I haven't yet needed to do that, but the fact that I can let's me do things I wouldn't usually risk, and for 3D acro if you never crash, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough! That confidence makes it alot more fun since the fear of damaging an expensive aircraft isn't there. That is what makes them OK trainers. . .they aren't that forgiving in flight, but it's hard to damage them, and when you do, just get out the foam safe CA and you can be flying again in minutes.

I guess what I am saying is, I used to really turn my nose up at electrics, they USED to be low powered and frail, that time is gone. Still, it took flying one across the street from my house on a night that I could never have flown any of my gas or glow planes to convince me that I had to get one of my own 3D Foamys!

Those scale aircraft are, as has ben said above going to be a real handful for newer pilots if the wind gets much more than 8 mph, but down low (where these are comfortable) the wind is usually fine at least where I live. You can modify them to be 4 channel aircraft (aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle) and I know people who also install landing gear, but for flying in a park the retracted gear are the better bet as you will probably land it in the grass, the gear require a smooth surface, just shut the motor down before touchdown and all is well.

g0strydr
04-17-2005, 07:34 PM
hmmm.. small CO2 operated pellet guns in the wings might make for some REAL fun...scale model dogfights http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
04-17-2005, 07:51 PM
They sell electrics with small infra-red/TV remote kinda things on them that you can dogfight with. I have a couple planes with tiny glow engines that we hand launch with streamers behind them. Then you try to cut the streamer off the other guy's plane with the prop. Its a lot of fun. The competitions are suppossed to be a blast but I've never had the opportunity to see one in person.

bolillo_loco
04-17-2005, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I've been flying RC for about 11 years and I can honestly say there is very little fun to be had with those things. They're neat because they look like warbirds but they fly like kites, get bounced around in the wind, and don't stand up for long. At times they're harder to fly than the big boys because they're so unstable.

If you really want to get into the hobby you can get a trainer plane with a cheap nitrous gas powered engine and a cheap radio and learn how to fly something a little more solid. Its a great hobby.

-Shakthamac
On those planes you don't want a landing gear. You land them on grass. A landing gear light enough to mount on a plane that size would get mangled easily and probably end up destroying the plane if you don't have a landing surface that's as smooth as glass. You need to jockey the throttle before landing to get the prop parallel to the ground, shut the motor down completely, and then grease it in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you know I believe you and I will tell you why, I guessed that they would be light due to materials used, but when I saw them fly they bounced around in the wind and were very jittery. I figured that they didnt have landing gear for a reason and when I saw the way they just bolted straigt up from a slow speed I figured they had to be really light, I mean they are electic after all, and the motors arent exactly power houses. I figured that they would be nice for display and light flying on a nice calm day when the grass is high.

knightflyte
04-17-2005, 11:06 PM
You're right Big Bear. The wind will carry them away.

My friend bought his 2 sons each R/C aircraft for XMas. Small lightweight things.

The first nice day (just a few weeks ago) it was pretty calm. He took his boys to the local soccor fields and fired up the first one and it was IMMEDIATLY carried away by the wind over the trees and GONE.

The boys were bummed to say the least. He was just pissed.

Several days later he was driving the boy someplace and suddenly stopped the car. "THERE IT IS"

Apparently it flew and was carried by the wind about 5 miles from where they flew the plane. (or should I say released)

Tho it was beautiful outside on that day they flew, there was still snow on the ground. The orange fusalage and wings stuck out like a sore thumb. Boy, were he and his kids happy.

Moral of the story? Lightweight, small R/C aircraft are not necessarily convenient nor good flyers. On no wind days they can be real fun......but I mean NO WIND days. There too small for the prop to be effective.

OMG $229 for the Me110.....sans engine , radio, and rechager. for a total package price of $775?

That's more than double what I payed for my MRC 5 channel radio, K&B .40 engine, and my 65" Bridi Trainer in 1976

knightflyte
04-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Joystick, I can appreciate that you thought the guy buzzing traffic as funny but, I assure you IT'S not.

Where I used to fly, a pilot lost control in his landing pattern. It was probably radio batteries or something. This was the seventies and when batteries went the servoes would jiggle or do wierd things. This guys plane flew STRAIGHT into a moving vehicle's windshield causing serious injury to the passenger,and a crash into oncoming traffic.

It's not funny when you see it live.

RedDeth
04-17-2005, 11:24 PM
alot of the electric planes on that sit are big enough and have big engines. the luki is 13 pounds. i think thats more than big enough for heavy wind days. you get a plane with too big of wings in windy days and that might be trouble too.

and the plane that shot straight up definitely had control issues of some sort that could have been found out with a pre flight check.

and as for the moron that flys his RC plane in traffic playing chicken with cars at stop lights with a vid camera well.... he should be in jail as that kind of activity causes accidents. people already slow down and watch RC fields along roads as it is. flying a plane above roads with traffic will get someone killed. no one should ever try that.

F4UDash4
04-18-2005, 05:59 AM
I fly electric RC aircraft.

No, they don't fly well in high winds. But I don't have to drive to a field to fly, I can fly in my back yard or a park, school yard etc. Very inexpensive to get into, easy to learn to fly, no mess and no noise. And with Li-Poly batteries you can have very long flight times, I've kept an eelctric Tiger Moth aloft for an hour. Or with brushless motors you can have very high speeds, electrics going over 100 MPH are common.

92SqnGCJimbo
04-18-2005, 04:50 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH electric RUNAWAY!!!!..

sory im infernal combustion all they way... and that includes spits b25's 109's lancasters (in progress) hurricanes etc etc... save yourself do not go down this dark path.. it will consume u alll..... or at least do the right thing and go nitro...

just dont think about getting one of these planes for learning.. they are too quick and dangerous to everyone if u havnt had quite a bit of r/c flying...

try of with something like the piper cub.. or a high winger an progress from there...

3.JG51_BigBear
04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
try of with something like the piper cub.. or a high winger an progress from there... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I almost quit RC after trying to learn with the high wing aircraft. No doubt about it they're the preferred method but I hate those things. At my field we have two schools of though on training. Go with the high wing trainer or a low wing super sporstster/super star .60 plane. I prefer the low wings for training myself. Another good starter plane is a decathalon, high wing but symetrical airfoil. If you (in general, no one in particular) find that you have some real natural ability for RC. I have two of them with Brison 2.4s (a little big for beginners but you can find a kit in just about any size, very popular birds) and they are a blast. They'll do the most beautiful slow speed aerobatics.