PDA

View Full Version : What flight sim do you recommend for starters?

kennym123
02-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi there,

I haven't played a flight sim for about 10 years.. used to play f29(I think it was called) alot.. and then kindof got bored with PC games..

That said, having gotten back into PC games recently, after discovering online multiplayer games.. mainly first person shooters.. I'd quite like to get a good multiplayer flight sim..

After doing a bit of searching, I've come up with IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as being the best online war flight sim about at the moment..?

I'd really appreciate any opinions about this/ which version is the most recent release/best recent release, how are the multiplayer games in IL-2 Sturmovik? Also heard about SoW(storm of war?) Is this a new release of IL-2 Sturmovik?

Any opinions about what a newbie should buy would be appreciated.

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kennym123
02-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi there,

I haven't played a flight sim for about 10 years.. used to play f29(I think it was called) alot.. and then kindof got bored with PC games..

That said, having gotten back into PC games recently, after discovering online multiplayer games.. mainly first person shooters.. I'd quite like to get a good multiplayer flight sim..

After doing a bit of searching, I've come up with IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as being the best online war flight sim about at the moment..?

I'd really appreciate any opinions about this/ which version is the most recent release/best recent release, how are the multiplayer games in IL-2 Sturmovik? Also heard about SoW(storm of war?) Is this a new release of IL-2 Sturmovik?

Any opinions about what a newbie should buy would be appreciated.

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
02-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Get 46. It is a resource hog.... but it is a very good sim. Make sure that you have a decent stick.. This sim is not made to be fully enjoyed on a keyboard. It is debatable about whether or not this is the best overall sim out... but for WWII combat.... it has no equal. There sre other sioms that may do somethings better.... but overall as a complete package... this is the grail at the moment.

p-11.cAce
02-01-2007, 07:13 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

kennym123
02-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks, I've got a not bad joystick (I think)

So IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is the one to buy?

My broadband connection is a lowly 1mg, how would the gameplay be? Lots of lag, or doable.. (without wanting to slow the server down)

512MG RAM, 2MHz+ CPU how would that be for running the game?

Cheers for the reply by the way

WWMaxGunz
02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
More RAM would be a help. It boils down to how big a mission you can run smooth, how many
AI's you can support though online even that load is distributed.

If people were more 'social' about online hookups then dialup bitrates would be enough as
was shown all the way back in this series. With original IL2, 28k was enough for smooth
play and may or may not still be. But when you have a bunch of highspeed players with net
selected as highspeed then the server ends up piecing out chunks of bandwidth which only
adds another advantage to the faster connects and causes other problems that dialup gets
worst, first. I had hosted 16 players on a 768k DSL back then, but it took cooperation
with the players and you could tell when a bandwidth hog was playing.

kennym123
02-01-2007, 07:45 AM
slightly off the original topic, but when you say bandwidth hog, does that refer to a user, who has the background textures etc set to a high level, I thought all that would be processed locally on the client machine?

cheers.

Altocirrus
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
FYI, I have a 2.4 GHz CPU and 512mb ram, and I can run it smoothly with all of the graphics options set to full 90% of the time. Can turn into a slideshow during active online missions, but dropping a few settings sorts that out and it still looks great.

WWMaxGunz
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kennym123:
slightly off the original topic, but when you say bandwidth hog, does that refer to a user, who has the background textures etc set to a high level, I thought all that would be processed locally on the client machine?

cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. It's more how much server bandwidth you can take. As a club we would have the host set
it as high as he had and then the clients would choose 28k (this was 2001-2003) and we all
got a better, more even game out of it. I can't say the exact why because I don't know the
exact code. Even if that has changed some ways it still works and doing the math it is easy
to see that if someone is getting 2x or more often packets then that must get them from
somewhere being the server.
So what do people need and is 56k client enough or not? What does it take to get a clean
game, minimum when everyone follows suit?

JR_Greenhorn
02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kennym123:

512MG RAM, 2MHz+ CPU how would that be for running the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>WWMaxGunz is right; more RAM would really help, and you would be limited on mission size. By mission size, I'm assuming he means number of planes in the air, but ground objects/targets also have a big effect. Additionally, the maps you chose to fly would make a very big difference. Some of the Pacific maps are just a small atol in the middle of water, so those maps run pretty fast (unless they have some specific palm trees that are notorious for slowing the game down--the Evil Trees of Lag). On the other hand, maps like Berlin or Gulf of Finland (which contains the city of Lenningrad/St. Petersburg) have thousands of buildings/ground objects, which can tax even high end hardware if there's too much happening at once.

I'm weighing in here because most of my Il-2 experience was with an early P4 (something like 1.6-18GHz), just 256MB RAM, and integrated graphics and sound. I flew with that computer from the release of Forgotten Battles to sometime after merging with Pacific Fighters. I had to turn down graphics settings a lot, limit myself to which maps I flew, how many ground objects/targets I had, and how many planes were in the air. I fly offline, so I can't speak to online play on such a system.

On that low-end machine, performance actually improved with subsequent patches/upgrades until about version 3.03 or 3.04 or so, then it started to decline as more and more got added to the sim. With version 4.0, I couldn't do much on that computer anymore. 1946 is version 4.07, by the way.

The key to making this game work, especially on low end hardware, is tweaking. To get the best results, the day you install the game, save a backup copy of your config.ini [the game configurations file], and start editing it manually with help from the many resources found on these forums.

Basically if you want to get into this sim, buy 1946 and some more RAM. If you just want to try it out without having to upgrade your hardware, find FB or PF for cheap, but you may have trouble finding other players with non-current versions online.

What do you have for a graphics card?

Jaws2002
02-01-2007, 02:40 PM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. that's the one. will give you everything was done in this game since the beginging in one single DVD.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My broadband connection is a lowly 1mg, how would the gameplay be? Lots of lag, or doable.. (without wanting to slow the server down)

Cheers for the reply by the way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Connection if is as you said 1 MB broadband should be enough for smooth online play.
You would want to get more RAM for smooth play. But if you can't the game will run with 512MB but with some freezes on big maps , over big cities and places with many objects or ai planes.

Anyway welcome to the forum. If you want to see the game in action, to make a broad idea how it looks, check the Movie Makers Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/65710358)

Have fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
02-01-2007, 03:14 PM

My broadband connection is a lowly 1mg, how would the gameplay be? Lots of lag, or doable.. (without wanting to slow the server down)

Cheers for the reply by the way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Double your RAM and you'll be in for a great time indeed. IL-2 1946 is the way to go because you get the whole series for a really good price and if you do want to play online you'll want to have this version.

The learning curve can be as difficult as you want to make it. The game has all sorts of options for how real you want to make it. You can turn off spins, stalls, vulnerability, limited ammo, and just have some fun. But be warned that the online environment tends not to be like that although it does varry significantly. There's something for everyone and many people ready to help when you get stuck.

Its a realistic game so expect your expectations of what aerial combat and flight to be broken and rebuilt. But its immensely fun and with 200+ flyable aircraft of all different types (fighters to medium bombers) there's bound to be something for you.

BSS_AIJO
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
hey,

looks like that broadband connection though not the fastest in the world is plenty of connection for Il2. Try starting with your current stick if you then turn into a hard core addict like us folks on the forums there are plenty of premium stick choices out there to choose from and of course rudder peddals, and best of all TrackIR.

Good luck and good hunting..

BSS_AIJO

partic_3
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Look, this SIM is actually very bad. I've been playing it in its many forms for 4 years or so and I hate it. I'll play it again tonight... brrr... I'm not looking forward to it.