PDA

View Full Version : Endless loops with no altitude loss. Is this possible in real life?

mortoma
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I noticed I can do it all day long in the Buffalo MK.1, I noticed it by pure accident. I thought I saw a post at SimHQ a while back where someone said it cannot be done in this game. Although I might not be remembering correctly. But I sure have the track to prove it. I guess if I can do it in a slug like the Mk. 1, I should be able to do it in just about anything. I'd also think if I can do it, then most other people could too. It was not hard to do, didn't require that much flying talent. Any input out there?? Should this be possible with a
WWII fighter?? I know some modern fighter jets have enough power to actually gain altitude doing loops, but they have hugely powerful direct fuel injected afterburn too.

mortoma
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I noticed I can do it all day long in the Buffalo MK.1, I noticed it by pure accident. I thought I saw a post at SimHQ a while back where someone said it cannot be done in this game. Although I might not be remembering correctly. But I sure have the track to prove it. I guess if I can do it in a slug like the Mk. 1, I should be able to do it in just about anything. I'd also think if I can do it, then most other people could too. It was not hard to do, didn't require that much flying talent. Any input out there?? Should this be possible with a
WWII fighter?? I know some modern fighter jets have enough power to actually gain altitude doing loops, but they have hugely powerful direct fuel injected afterburn too.

FritzGryphon
03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
So long as you don't loop too tightly, you can gain altitude in a loop.

If your average drag is less than average thrust, you will get higher over time. If you do the loop too tightly, and bleed lots of speed, you will get lower with each loop.

Technically, any plane that can climb and do a loop, could theortically gain altitude during loops, if they were excecuted properly. WWI planes could do it as well.

Jetbuff
03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
It's all in the definition: do you mean endless loops at full stick deflection (impossible) or just endless looping. (in some planes you can actually climb while doing the latter! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif )

FritzGryphon
03-04-2006, 10:46 PM
In the case of full stick deflection, control authority would matter more than any other factor. Not really a good measure of aircraft performance, I don't think.

KrashanTopolova
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Russian pilots who first flew the La-5 were delighted when they found they could loop in it at 186 MPH (300KmH) I.A.S.

check out the flight model...