PDA

View Full Version : That one mission : pearl harbor

Snuffly
06-03-2005, 10:17 PM
most of u have probably played the pearl harbor mission thing in the pilot career...

well anyways, on real pearl harbor day... Did the two pilots that got up in the air fly P-40b's or P-40E's

The movie "Pearl Harbor" showed the P-40E's.
which one was it really?

P-40B or P-40E

Cuz if it was the P-40B, then I show great sypmathy to the director of "pearl harbor"

Snuffly
06-03-2005, 10:17 PM
most of u have probably played the pearl harbor mission thing in the pilot career...

well anyways, on real pearl harbor day... Did the two pilots that got up in the air fly P-40b's or P-40E's

which one was it really?

P-40B or P-40E

Cuz if it was the P-40B, then I show great sypmathy to the director of "pearl harbor"

VW-IceFire
06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snuffly:

which one was it really?

P-40B or P-40E

Cuz if it was the P-40B, then I show great sypmathy to the director of "pearl harbor" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As far as I know...they were P-40B's.

The movie Pearl Harbor does a number of things. The Val's don't look anything like the real ones, the Zero's are painted green and appear to be A6M5s and not A6M2s...lots of stuff like that.

The European section with the Spitfires and 109s is more accurate...

Still its a fun movie that gives a good sense of the mood of the time that the other Pearl Harbor movies lack.

Snuffly
06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
thx u!!!

PBNA-Boosher
06-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Actually, in the movie they were flying P-40N's. There were no struts on the canopy. In fact, most of the plane versions were wrong in that film.

There were P-40's that got airborne during Pearl Harbor, but the planes that did the most damage to the IJN that day were P-36's, George Welch, soon to be ace, got his first air-to-air victories at Pearl Harbor.

horseback
06-04-2005, 07:33 PM
There were no P-40Es at Pearl Harbor. The two Pursuit Groups stationed on Oahu were transitioning from the P-36 to the P-40B/C, and for the most part, were considered little better than advanced fighter training units.

Something like 14 (9 P-36s, 5 P-40) USAAC fighters got into the air that morning, and are credited with about a third of the approximately 30 Japanese aircraft lost. The P-36s got 4, and the P-40s were credited with a total of 8, with a total of 3 fighters and two pilots lost.

George Welch was credited with 4 kills in two sorties, establishing a pattern that ended with a nasty bout of malaria. Every time he made contact with the enemy, at least two of them went down. Welch ended the war with 16 kills, scored in the P-40B at Pearl, a triple in a P-39D a year to the day later, and the rest in P-38s, before being sent home in 1944.

cheers

horseback

mole_boy
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM
George Welch also broke the sound barrier before Chuck Yeager in a F-86 sabre, No bull**** (go to http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/, I have reaserched and it seem s true

WTE_Warg
06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
The 4th, 15th & 18th Pursuit Groups were using P-40's at Pearl Harbour in December, 1941. They were changing over from P-36 Hawks & P-26 Peashooters, which were also present. Most of those at Pearl were P-40B's, with a number of P-40C's also about. The 15th & 18th lost 62 P-40B's at Wheeler Field and the 4th lost 10 P-40C's at Bellows Field. Those two P-40's of Taylor & Welch that you see in the movie "Tora Tora Tora" should be P-40B's, taking off from Haleiwa Field on the north of Oahu. Delivery of the E model to the USAAF commenced in February, 1941 and as far as I know only a very few P-40E's were present at the time of the attack. Hope this helps you.

Snuffly
06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
wow