PDA

View Full Version : No Manuals included with DVD version released last week

Hocking
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I just received the newly released DVD that includes Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack, and Pacific Fighters all together. Oddly enough, they only include a small 35 page "PC Game" manual on the disk. I beleive this manual is for the Pacific Theater game only.

Is there any way I can get a Manual for Forgotten Battles? How many manuals exist for the entire series (is there a manual for each game)? At this point, I only have the original IL-2 Manual that came out in 2001, and now this very small manual that is pretty much worthless.

Any suggestions.

Hocking
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I just received the newly released DVD that includes Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack, and Pacific Fighters all together. Oddly enough, they only include a small 35 page "PC Game" manual on the disk. I beleive this manual is for the Pacific Theater game only.

Is there any way I can get a Manual for Forgotten Battles? How many manuals exist for the entire series (is there a manual for each game)? At this point, I only have the original IL-2 Manual that came out in 2001, and now this very small manual that is pretty much worthless.

Any suggestions.

Oz_Canuck
04-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Could be more on the disk in pdf format...the readme's for each patch also have updated info. I think the 35 page book is all you get. Have a look and report back to us!

Rets16th
04-06-2006, 12:52 AM
With the complete edition DVD I also didn't get the 35 page book (like the one that came with PF)just the key card and the disk, not that I mind as i have the PF one. There is a pdf version I think? in the intall folder though.

markimmortal
04-06-2006, 01:53 AM
I read, when installing the DVD, that a manual can be found on the dvd. According to what I read they included the Pacific Fighters manual because that contained the latest and greatest information. There is also a shortcut to the manual (pdf format) from your game folder off of the start menu.

Hocking
04-06-2006, 04:22 AM
I know about the "Pacific Fighters" manual that was included on the disk. My only concern is that this manual is only 37 pages (it is actually 74 pages long according to the index but each half-page counts as one full page). This manual appears to be a short PC-Game standard manual like we get with most PC games that are less complex. I was hoping to get a manual for "Forgotten Battles", and the "Aces Expansion" pack if manuals were originally released with these games.

I do have the original manual for "IL-2-Sturmovik" that was released in the very beginning of the series in 2001.

How many different manuals are available for this series from start to finish? I always enjoy reading flight-sim manuals whenever I can't play the game for whatever reason.

Skycat_2
04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
The manual that came with the original IL-2 Sturmovik was the best of the series, at least for balancing the standard computer setup information with advanced discussions on tactics and history. There were a few pilot quotes sprinkled throughout so generally it was the best overall read. It could accomplish that because the original stable of flyable planes were all fighters and fighter-bombers, so the knowldege required to fly any one of them was practically universal to all (IE, no bombsights or multiple engines), and there were fewer controls available to the pilot. Still, the IL-2 manual was only about 80 half-pages total so it wasn't really an in-depth study on WWII aviation. It just covered more ground than later manuals.

The manual for Forgotten Battles was the same size and thickness as the IL-2 manual and retained much of the original manual's information and artwork, but FB's new game features required more space for explanation. Primarily, there was more space devoted to the DGen campaigns and to the increased number of difficulty options. As I recall, the 'cut' material was included as a separate PDF manual on one of the FB discs.

Ace Expansion Pack did not come with a manual but it did have an updated key card. The logic was that the FB manual covered the essentials for setting up and playing the game. There was an insert in the AEP disc case that explained a few of the new features. I think the insert was written by UbiSoft instead of 1C:MG because it had some erroneous information about certain planes being included or not included, if I recall correctly.

The Pacific Fighters manual is basically an updated version of the Forgotten Battles manual. The graphics have changed, obviously, but most of the text is the same. The text is updated to include new features like carrier-borne aircraft, opening canopies and individual noseart. You're correct that the manual is mostly a PC and game setup guide, not a pilot manual.

In my opinion, the community has produced far superior manuals and guides than what ever shipped with the series, probably because the stock manuals (outside of Russia at least) were so brief and devoid of piloting information. Neural_Dream's Aircraft Reference Guide is an excellent example of that if you want to understand individual planes. I've also seen specific guides on tactics, level bombing, dive bombing, and flying the Me-262.

Hocking
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Thank you very much for such a detailed post about the various manuals available for the series Skycat_2. Your post answered my question perfectly.

I had already found and downloaded Neural Dream's excellent Aircraft Reference Guide. Thanks again.

Ijnpilot
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
The manuals are crappy. Honestly, I depend on my Old CF and CF2 manuals for refreshing my memory about the aircraft and tactics.

NekoReaperman
04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I remember the aces over europe manual.... 300+ pages!

Was my bathroom reader for a while... (and i was like..... six!)

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 05:43 PM
there is probably a market for an aftermarket book if anyone with the right knowledge ever got around to writing one and convinving a publisher ot give it a go

as for the DVD .. i did think it odd they did not pdf all the manuals from all games .. it would have taken minimal extra space