PDA

View Full Version : What would a WW2 flyer have done?

Walrus-
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Online, there will be times when I fly up to a group of planes and I see maybe 4 or 5 of the other team ganging up on a single of my teammates who is looking to be in a very bad situation.

If I am not at significant altitude or energy advantage, or not in a "super-plane" (La-7, Spit 25 lb, etc), I am in a quandry.

I know engaging in the fray will almost surely end in getting shot down, but I feel bad about letting the teammate get killed if I don't try.

Of course, since this is a GAME, either outcome has me concerned for about 1 millisecond.

But it does make me wonder- what would I have done in this situation if really were flying? What did those pilots do? What if they were friends, squadmates? Was there a "code", to never abandon a squadmate, even if it was obvious that you would both be doomed? Did doctrines differ between nations? Were any pilots ever cited for cowardice?

Walrus-
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Online, there will be times when I fly up to a group of planes and I see maybe 4 or 5 of the other team ganging up on a single of my teammates who is looking to be in a very bad situation.

If I am not at significant altitude or energy advantage, or not in a "super-plane" (La-7, Spit 25 lb, etc), I am in a quandry.

I know engaging in the fray will almost surely end in getting shot down, but I feel bad about letting the teammate get killed if I don't try.

Of course, since this is a GAME, either outcome has me concerned for about 1 millisecond.

But it does make me wonder- what would I have done in this situation if really were flying? What did those pilots do? What if they were friends, squadmates? Was there a "code", to never abandon a squadmate, even if it was obvious that you would both be doomed? Did doctrines differ between nations? Were any pilots ever cited for cowardice?

general_kalle
03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
this is the game and its the same for me. i almost always engege no matter what the odds are.

even if theres no freind there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

but in real life. i dont know but i have a feeling that if you know your mate is in that plane you engage.

Walrus-
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

but in real life. i dont know but i have a feeling that if you know your mate is in that plane you engage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I guess it would be important that your squadmates be good and wise pilots, because in that circumstance they could get you killed real fast.

Xiolablu3
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
1. Get somewhere above them if you can try and get arouind 1000m higher, but you may not have this luxury. Just get as high as you can up to 1500m by the time you are above them.

2. Flip over and dive down behind the enemies who are chasing, be careful not to lose energy, no sudden sharp movements.

3. Speed up behind the closest enemy, take a shot, either hit him or scare him off.

4. Keep powering through, shoot the next one, or scare, and the next. YOu should be zooming through the pack of enemies at over 150kph or faster, this will leave them no time to line up a shot after the surprise of your shots, whether you hit them or not.

5. Once you have passed them all, climb back up, you should have kept all your energy so a climb should be no problem. Ideally get 1000m above or somehwere near, and if there are any still chasing him then repeat the above.

The enemies should only get in a very random shot as you zoom through them, and hopefully you will damage them anyway, or at least scare them off him.

Repeat until they are off him. Then climb back up. The enemies should be lower on speed and energy than you are, as if you have done the move correctly, you have managed your energy well. Therefore you can pick and choose which one to B&Z, as you should be around 1000m above them. Be careful for the wise ones extending away and coming back as you concentrate on his mate.

I have done this tactic many times, great feeling zooming through 3 or 4 ememies, damaging them and scaring them as you blast away and then zoom up into the sky. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Remember - It really doesn't matter if you hit the enemies, the main thing is to scare them off the friendlies tail. However its always nice to get a few kills isnt it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hope you understand what I mean. The FW190 would be ideal for this move thanks to its high speed in a dive, high speed overall, and its heavy guns.

You are much better to leave your mate for 20 secs while you gaina bit of altitude to do this manouvre than storming in with no energy or height and being totally outnumbered.

capt_frank
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Go for the "caboose" and work your way forward.

Waldo.Pepper
03-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Press the mic button ... "Check Six Friendly Bail out!"

Lucius_Esox
03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
You will never know until you are really in that situation methinks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif