PDA

View Full Version : New comp with Vista

Kamikaze_239
01-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello, guys!

In a couple of days, I'll get my new comp.
It's a Compaq Presario with Windows Vista Home Premium, nVdia GeForce 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 8MB cache and a Core 2 Quad processor.

Now, my question is, will IL2 1946 work on it AND will my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick work on it?

Thanx in advance

Kamikaze_239
01-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello, guys!

It's a Compaq Presario with Windows Vista Home Premium, nVdia GeForce 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 8MB cache and a Core 2 Quad processor.

Now, my question is, will IL2 1946 work on it AND will my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick work on it?

Thanx in advance

Mercwolf2
01-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi

When you load the game do not load into program files. Set up a directory called games and load it into there. This will allow you to modify your conf.ini files etc. If you do you homework and look into similar posts you will have no problems. The other thing I found is turn off windows firewall, defender and windows auto updates as this has caused conflict problems in the past with IL2 and online play. I went through this awhile ago and was one of the guinea pigs dealing with Vista and IL2. Do your homework and look into these forums as it will save you alot of future grief.

crucislancer
01-12-2008, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kamikaze_239:
Hello, guys!

Thanx in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL-2 will work on a vista machine, just don't install the game in the program files directory and use admin rights when you do it.

As far as the Microsoft FF2 stick, I have no idea.

Phil_C
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Computer specs below.

I second the install in a root Ubisoft directory, and not program files. I had a lot of trouble getting MatMan to work with the program in the default directory. After a clean install, there have been no issues using either.

I also have the FF2 joystick and have found no issues with it in vista, without using the MS Drivers for the stick.

Kamikaze_239
01-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok guys!

But Phil_C, you said this: "...without using the MS Drivers for the stick".

What are those drivers and are they automatically used or do I have to do something to not use them?

Phil_C
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Well I forget what they do exactly but IIRC they set up key commands to the buttons.
They dont work with vista, and they have not been supported in a while.

But its nothing that you cant do in the setup menu in the program.

VW-IceFire
01-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Basically just plug the stick in and do not install any drivers. You don't get any of the frills but the stick itself will work fine with the default joystick drivers in Vista.

Kamikaze_239
01-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok.

But it's so weird. It's a Microsoft joystick and it doesn't work properly (with Force Feedback) with Vista!

And on top of that, in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X manual, they show that joystick!

So does that mean, that the Force Feedback function doesn't work either with FSX?! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Phil_C
01-13-2008, 11:23 AM
The force feedback will work with IL2 and FSX and any other supported games.

Kamikaze_239
01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok.

So it will work with Vista on FSX and IL2 1946 with Force Feedback function??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

DSTT
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I had some Vista-IL2 questions myself. I just recently purchased VISTA and Iam currently running WinXP-Vista dual boot, I thought that I would probably spend most of my time in XP and use Vista for DX-10 games, now I find myself loathing to log back into XP for anything. (I had really low expectations for Vista and really wasnt expecting to enjoy it as much as I have) I know installing IL2 in XP would probably be the safest bet, but if I can run it in Vista without too much of a performance hit with graphic settings on max I'll probably do that.

I read some good tips on these boards on installation in Vista and I will follow them, I already was installing all games in their own drive and directory (D:\Vista Gaming Programs).

Here is a tip of my own for games in general, set up a special gaming account in your OS of choice that you only install games on and disable any unessecary services and background programs, you can find a list online for Vista and XP that gives info about each service and tells you if they are safe to disable/set-to-manual. (That was a tip given in PC Gamer for windows XP, I just figured it would be a good idea in Vista too, I not have noticed any huge performance increase from doing this in XP or Vista)

So for those that are running IL2 and all expansions in Vista, how is your performance and stability, off and online?

Anyone using a Saitek X-45 with Vista, I used mine for a few minutes in FS-X with default Vista drivers and the default FS-X control scheme and it seemed okay, but I only flew an ultra-light for a few minuets.

Just wanted to get some info first because IL2 is a fairly long install process.

FoolTrottel
01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif DSTT, see this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1921070116) (a sticky in Community Help) and add your tip to it...

Got no specific info on the X45, but if it's working in other games, and if it shows up correctly in Game Controllers, it should work fine in IL2...

("fairly long install process", you haven't got 1946 yet?)

DSTT
01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I just have up to Pacfic Fighters, I didnt pre-order and since EB/Gamestop stocks very few games in-store now I have to order it online and I just keep putting it off (had no luck at Wal-Mart/Target either). I play mostly SP so it hasnt been that big of a deal (except when it comes time for re-install) I really need to get it though.

How is the performance/stability of the game itself in Vista, does it get good FPS, I've read some DX-9 games run pretty poorly in Vista.

VW-IceFire
01-13-2008, 07:11 PM
DSTT: What you've read was probably about Vista at release. Since then frame rates have increased (mostly through driver updates) and things have smoothed out considerably. If your machine is suitably powerful to run Vista then you will not notice any decline in performance...in some cases you might get an increase...or at least even things right out.

Stability has generally not been a problem for me with Vista...except with Creative Suite CS3 ...but the last Performance/Stability update fixed all that. Games wise Vista is just as good, for me, as XP was with my old system.

Phil_C
01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stability has generally not been a problem for me with Vista...except with Creative Suite CS3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the issue with CS3? I have CS and have had no issues at all, but have been thinking of upgrading to the new version.

tagTaken2
01-14-2008, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kamikaze_239:
Ok.
And on top of that, in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X manual, they show that joystick!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's shameful.
Although, ironically, I've never been able to use my MSFFB2 in MS CFS2, CFS3, or FS9. The forces are really extreme and jerky. Works like a dream for almost all non-MS games, though.

The issue of the software not working under Vista is a dealbreaker for me. I'll be running an XP partition for a long time I think, I like programmable software, and the MSFFB2's pretty good.