PDA

View Full Version : just curious...

Shultze_87
02-07-2005, 06:14 AM
S!

what happened to bullets/shells when they missed the target?They just vapourate into thin air or what? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif...thanks

Shultze_87
02-07-2005, 06:14 AM
S!

what happened to bullets/shells when they missed the target?They just vapourate into thin air or what? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif...thanks

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-07-2005, 06:22 AM
In this sim? They're modeled. Just fly over water after/during a battle. You'll see bits and pieces of damaged birds and ammo splashing all the time.

TB

Shultze_87
02-07-2005, 06:30 AM
so the bullets warheads will fall to the ground and explode?this mean in RL WW2 there is a chance for people on the ground to get hit from unexploded bullets?

Tallyho1961
02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
It must've been quite dangerous living under a major air combat zone - I'm thinking about southeastern England during 1940.

Lucius_Esox
02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Lol Shultze_87 are you for real? Of course ordanance that misses it's target self destructs!!! doh

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shultze_87:
so the bullets warheads will fall to the ground and explode?this mean in RL WW2 there is a chance for people on the ground to get hit from unexploded bullets? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow, I don't think they were much concerned about civilian safety and giving to much thought to falling debris, whether it was unexploded ordnance or a landing gear from a destroyed enemy bomber.

Zyzbot
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
It must've been quite dangerous living under a major air combat zone - I'm thinking about southeastern England during 1940. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! I talked to a man who was a teenager during BOB. He told me of seeing a Hurrcane shoot down a Stuka.The Stuka crashed into a tree in his next door neighrbor's yard a short distance away. Close call!

WOLFMondo
02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
It must've been quite dangerous living under a major air combat zone - I'm thinking about southeastern England during 1940. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Grandfather once told me a story about a guy in Brighton (East Sussex, approx halfway between Portsmouth and Folkstone, 50 miles south of London) where my family live, who got clocked on the head by a drop tank by complete chance and died. Sounds bizarre but Brighton was right underneath some of the routes taken by planes flying back and forth from France and UK airbases alike. There was even a rumour Hitler banned the bombing or Brighton during the battle of Britian because he wanted the Royal Pavilion as a summer refuge, not hard to belive. After 1940 LW planes that were leaving the UK and hadn't found there targets would drop them on Brighton as it was the last chance they would to do any damage on that raid. Bit stupid really cause the county council got all the German PoW's to clear the mess up.

AFAIK Brighton was never a target, just a convienient place for the LW to drop there unused ordanance, apart from the viaduct which a Stuka hit, the bomb bounced off the road, through a house in Argyl road, through the front room and kitchen, out the back, through the garden and finally hit its target and blew a hole in it. You can still see the repaired damage to the viaduct today, the pub opposite does a great Sunday Roasthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

horseback
02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I lived in Ipswich (East Anglia) in the early 1960s. There was school just down the lane from our house, and the soccer field had a noticeable dip in it's middle. I asked one of our grownup neighbors about it (I was seven or eight at the time, a typical Yank child who'd just confront a strange adult with a question and expect an answer), and he said that it was from "...a Jerry that one of our lads shot down. Took us a couple of days to dig the poor bugger out-all burned he was, you never forget the smell-and the field's never been quite the same. Probably should have left him there..."

We later got on base housing at Shepherd's Grove, and one of our favorite play spots was an enormous crater that one of the local farmers maintained was made by a B-24 that was trying to get back to Bury St. Edmunds with a full bomb load. 20 years later, the trees growing at the bottom of the crater were just beginning to clear ground level of the rest of the field...

cheers

horseback

Tully__
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
There were minor and major casualties among civilians on all sides when spent bullets and bullet casings fell on people under air battles. Also property damage.

Lucius_Esox
02-07-2005, 05:16 PM
After my flippant reply earlier, a real one now! I have always lived in the South East of England and as a lad I used to live in a place called West Wickham (about 7miles from Biggin Hill). I used to play in some woods at the back of my house and I remember several big craters that we used to get tadpoles from. Only when I got older did I realise the significance of these "craters". Talking to people who lived there during the war I discovered they were made by a German bomber jettisoning its load after coming under attack. There are quit a few unexplained craters in woods in Englands south east. Can you imagine how many there must be around some German cities!! These things haven't dissapeared in 60 years. Last year I went to Normandy to look around and visited Point do Hoc, it is like a moonscape!

Saunders1953
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Schultze_87:

Think "Isaac Newton" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

heywooood
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
reading a few books on the Battle will show you several such references to the danger of standing outside under an arial melee...

there is a scene in Dark Blue World..where the pilots in training are watching a duel above them and a spent shell casing lands at the feet of one of them... sort of brings that reality home to the viewer...

tralkpha
02-08-2005, 12:45 AM
i have seen a few pictures of such damage the one that i remember best was a car in the vicinity of pearl harbour that functioned as the recieving end of alot of aa fire that missed its intended target

Skarphol
02-08-2005, 03:18 AM
I was the commander of a 20mm AAA when I was in the Norwegian Coastal Defence some 15 years ago. The 20mm shells we had would explode after travelling 1.5 km (sligtlhly less than a mile) if they didn't hit anything, in order to reduce damage to people and property on the ground. This is quite good modelled in the sim, too.

Skarphol

zdenkaxx1
02-08-2005, 03:26 AM
my mother grew up in new cross london during the war and remembers seeing a german bomber chased down the ground level by allied fighters before crashing somewhere in bermondsey.

hey lucius i used to live in bromley.you know every single house in penge had V-1 damage ?

Lucius_Esox
02-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Think my bloody house still got it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I live about a mile away from Penge sur la mer! zdenkaxx 1 we might know each other even! Do you go fishin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

zdenkaxx1
02-08-2005, 04:24 AM
i have been known to drown the occasional worm.

WTE_Ibis
02-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Schultze_87:
No m8 it all stayed up there,thats why you have to be veeerrry veerry carefull flying in Europe even today. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

WOLFMondo
02-08-2005, 04:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Can you imagine how many there must be around some German cities!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you fly to Hamburg you can see craters in the fields around the city.