PDA

View Full Version : 4.04 brakes?

|CoB|_Spectre
02-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I wanted to compare observations with the 4.04m patch regarding changes to brakes to see if anyone else has experienced this:

I do not hear the brakes squeal when applied during highspeed landing rollout. A squadmate noticed it as well when we were flying online. Was this feature omitted in 4.04?

Ground handling, especially on carrier decks, seems much improved. I seem able to exert much more control with hard, slow speed turns without it "getting away" from me.

Tailwheel castering in the Mossie seems very real and I observed a tendency toward groundlooping if braking isn't applied with special attention. To me, this is a big plus on all taildragger aircraft and represents a realistic challenge. There's an old saying amongst taildragger pilots that says "you ain't through flying 'til you've got her tied down". Landing accidents in taildraggers was/is far more common than tricycle gear aircraft.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I wanted to compare observations with the 4.04m patch regarding changes to brakes to see if anyone else has experienced this:

I do not hear the brakes squeal when applied during highspeed landing rollout. A squadmate noticed it as well when we were flying online. Was this feature omitted in 4.04?

Ground handling, especially on carrier decks, seems much improved. I seem able to exert much more control with hard, slow speed turns without it "getting away" from me.

Tailwheel castering in the Mossie seems very real and I observed a tendency toward groundlooping if braking isn't applied with special attention. To me, this is a big plus on all taildragger aircraft and represents a realistic challenge. There's an old saying amongst taildragger pilots that says "you ain't through flying 'til you've got her tied down". Landing accidents in taildraggers was/is far more common than tricycle gear aircraft.

arjisme
02-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I do hear break squeal when applied during landing rollout. This is in offline play.

Thing about the breaks that is strange for me is that sometimes they are applied w/o me actually pressing my rudder breaks (CH pedals). I didn't have that issue before 4.04m. This has caused noseovers for me on landing. I expect that I need to add some filtering to the break inputs and that probably is all it is. Just odd I started having this after applying 4.04m.

Arm_slinger
02-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I noticed this also, I landd my 109 G2, and she needed all of the run way to stop. The breaks were squeaking, but no speed was being lost.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I noticed in 4.03 that rollout speed after touchdown seemed to retain energy longer than before. I'm just glad the deck handling manners are better. It's always a pain to make a trap after a successful mission only to go over the catwalk trying to maneuver clear of the foul line.