PDA

View Full Version : hunting

Fighterduck
07-10-2005, 04:46 AM
how can i lock a target without using the periscope and firing topedoes ( triyng to do in depth hunting..if it is possible )

Fighterduck
07-10-2005, 04:46 AM
how can i lock a target without using the periscope and firing topedoes ( triyng to do in depth hunting..if it is possible )

pike1964
07-10-2005, 05:13 AM
You can not fire torps deeper than periscope depth. The inner torpedotubedoors can not hold the pressure.

pike1964
07-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Hmmm. Some extra info might make this clear.

When a torpedo is fired it is pushed out of the tybe by compressed air. The air is sucked back into the boat to avoid a large airbubble at the surface betraying your position.
The tube fills up with water.

Herbert A. Werner clearly describes the weakness of the inner doors in his book "Iron Coffins".

AVGWarhawk
07-10-2005, 05:48 AM
I would assume Fighterduck is asking how can he get a firing solution without using the periscope. You need a good sonarman for one and some dead recogning for another. You need at least a pretty good idea of AOB, speed, and range. This always runs true for a accurate shoot and hit. Other then that, you are shooting from the hip. I recommend you practice on the submarine test for torpedos. This will allow you to make best guess shots as much as you want until you get a idea of shooting while making your best guess.

Fighterduck
07-10-2005, 06:03 AM
ehehe..yes...my goal is to make some "stealth attack" without using the periscope.
I mean...the sonar man give me tons of contacts...but is there a way to lock one of this contacts ( on the map ? ) and destroy it.

WihelmSchulz-
07-10-2005, 06:53 AM
From what I have read in the game booklet in the type XXI U-Boat U can attack without using your periscope using the Nibelung sonar. How I dont know.

WihelmSchulz-
07-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Oh yea and the deepest U can launch a fish is 25 meters.

SchroeterU-123
07-10-2005, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WihelmSchulz-:
Oh yea and the deepest U can launch a fish is 25 meters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi
No with the XXI you can fire a eel from the deep of 50 meters like in real life you dont need to raise you periscope to get a firing solution so it was a lote more fast to fire your eels but the ASW late in the war (43-45)where also prety good against UBOATS so they could fire one eel them have to run for there lifes most of the times they lose,so in the game you can fire a eel from 50 meters but only with the XXI sub.

S VIIC_41
07-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Only thing is... the Type XXI doesn't work right in a lot of ways, one of them being the Nibelung sonar doesn't work right.

Of course, Ubi don't give a **** as usual./

Fighterduck
07-10-2005, 08:01 AM
but can i lock a taget and have the auto solution withou using the periscope?

stinkhammer6
07-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Go to your TDC screen and youll see contacts on that screen, assuming you know the speed and AOB, simply adjust your gyro angle so it matches the contact (the green line coming out the sub that has time to impact at the tip) and when you are happy, open the outer doors and fire. For this I recommend firing a salvo of at least 2 fish. Regardless you are still going stealth with a periscope unless they have spotlights looking for you at night.

Fighterduck
07-10-2005, 09:48 AM
ahaaaaa......uhm...sounds not so difficult...will try now!

stinkhammer6
07-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Good luck, I would try practicing this method on a slow moving ship that hasnt detected you so you know the AOB and its speed. Im sure if you do this enough times when it does count, you could pull it off with better accuracy

Mylo42
07-12-2005, 12:28 AM
I have been in a situation where I have established a reasonable firing solution using the scope but due to a DD hunting for me with spotlight, I retracted the scope. From there, I used the updated bearing contact info from my hydrophone operator. When he told me my target was at a certain bearing that I was set up for, I let fly with a salvo of 3 with a 5 degree spread. I was estimating that my target range was about 1500m based on when I actually saw it last. Two torps impacted.

I don't know if that's what you are after. As I mentioned, I had basically formulated a firing solution prior to pulling in the scope but held off firing until my target was at the bearing I wanted. It saved my from being detected with the spotlight.

doug.d
07-12-2005, 12:51 AM
On a few occasions, my conn has been destroyed (ramming, air attack, shelling etc.), leaving me blind. The Weapons officer refuses to talk to the sonar man and calc a solution from the sound contact, so he's useless. I haven't learned manual targeting in detail, so I'm useless too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I get some success from short range point-and-shoot on the sound contact bearing, i.e. estimate course speed and distance from the hydrophone and sonar, point the bow/stern a few degrees ahead, and shoot straight. Otherwise go home for repairs.