PDA

View Full Version : new hard drive and OS, Brotherhood won't install

thornebrook
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm writing on behalf of a friend. She was playing ACB perfectly well on her Windows XP, 32-bit since March this year. Finished Single Player, Multiplayer was working well and everything. Recently, she purchased a new 1TB hard drive, which she has set up to dual-boot into Windows 7, 64-bit. Her Windows XP, 32-bit is in her old drive.

While in Windows 7, she tried re-installing her ACB game (digital deluxe edition from Gamersgate.com), but the installation won't proceed. No error messages. The Autorun would proceed normally, and when she reaches the screen asking her whether she wishes to view the Readme file or Install the game, she chooses Install and the Autorun window would just vanish and nothing would happen.

She has tried a number of solutions, including updating her audio and video drivers, making sure DirectX is installed and updated, uninstalling her old 32-bit game installation, running Autorun in Windows XP compatibility mode, always running it as administrator. Nothing has worked so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thornebrook
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm writing on behalf of a friend. She was playing ACB perfectly well on her Windows XP, 32-bit since March this year. Finished Single Player, Multiplayer was working well and everything. Recently, she purchased a new 1TB hard drive, which she has set up to dual-boot into Windows 7, 64-bit. Her Windows XP, 32-bit is in her old drive.

While in Windows 7, she tried re-installing her ACB game (digital deluxe edition from Gamersgate.com), but the installation won't proceed. No error messages. The Autorun would proceed normally, and when she reaches the screen asking her whether she wishes to view the Readme file or Install the game, she chooses Install and the Autorun window would just vanish and nothing would happen.

She has tried a number of solutions, including updating her audio and video drivers, making sure DirectX is installed and updated, uninstalling her old 32-bit game installation, running Autorun in Windows XP compatibility mode, always running it as administrator. Nothing has worked so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KingDaniel0
07-10-2011, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thornebrook:
new hard drive and OS, Brotherhood won't install </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By any chance is the Digital download file inside any RAR/ZIP archive, or it is just an executable file ? If all the Game contents are inside any archive file, then ask her to first Extract all the file contents to any Hard Drive location, and then try installing the game again.

When downloading the Download file of the game, save it to your hard drive rather than just running it from the browser. Try not running it from the browser, because its better you save the file to your hard drive.

Has she tried re-downloading the Full game from Gamersgate.com, just in case the Installation file/download is corrupt ? Has she fully updated her Win 7 OS including the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) ?

As a side note, ask her to disable and Turn OFF User Account Control/UAC under Windows 7, for the time being. Is she using any kind of Personal Firewall or virus guard ?

Also ask her to remove and clear all Windows TEMP files, and then try reinstalling the Game again. Sometimes turning off Write-protection on the TEMP files also helps overcome this problem.

-----------------------------------------------

thornebrook
07-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the response! The game files are extracted. Here is a screenshot of her download:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...s/705/acbfolder.jpg/ (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/acbfolder.jpg/)

She also copied the installation files over to the new HD as well, so she's not trying to install the game from the old hard drive.

She's currently in the process of re-downloading the whole game from Gamersgate, but it's going to take her 1 - 2 days to finish getting it. She hasn't really experienced any disk trouble however, and she hasn't been fiddling with the original installation files since she installed them in March, so we're not optimistic that the re-download will solve anything. She says her Windows is updated and she had no trouble re-installing anything else, just ACB.

As per your suggestion, she's cleared her Windows 7 temp folder and tried re-installing, but it didn't work. She also turned off her Avast anti-virus software. She's only working with Windows Firewall, no other firewall program installed. She has tried turning it off as well and re-installing, but it didn't work either.

She followed your advice about turning off UAC, but she's waiting until the download finishes before restarting and trying again.

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions! I'll update again after she's re-downloaded and rebooted, but if you have any more ideas we could try, we'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble!

Edit: She wants to try your suggestion of turning off write-protection on her temp folder, but we can't figure out how to do this. How does one accomplish this? If this is merely clearing the Read-Only attribute of the Windows Temp folder so that it's not filled nor checked, she has tried to do this, but upon reviewing, Windows keeps re-coloring the Read-Only attribute.

Edit2: She's since rebooted and turned off her UAC, but the files still won't install.

justinpunny
07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thornebrook:
Edit: She wants to try your suggestion of turning off write-protection on her temp folder, but we can't figure out how to do this. How does one accomplish this? If this is merely clearing the Read-Only attribute of the Windows Temp folder so that it's not filled nor checked, she has tried to do this, but upon reviewing, Windows keeps re-coloring the Read-Only attribute.
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes even I think 'KingDaniel' meant to change the file attributes from Read-Only. This could create a problem sometimes IMO, though I'm not sure about all this stuff.

Good luck.

thornebrook
07-11-2011, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justinpunny:
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes even I think 'KingDaniel' meant to change the file attributes from Read-Only. This could create a problem sometimes IMO, though I'm not sure about all this stuff.

Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see, thanks! Is there a way to change it so that Windows doesn't keep coloring the Read-Only box in?

misssnark
07-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Hello, this is the person who couldn't re-install. *waves*

I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else ever faces this issue. Apparently what happens is, that when you finish the digital download from GamersGate, setup launches automatically. Now after you complete setup or if you choose to cancel, the setup.exe file is deleted completely. Which was why my version wouldn't work anymore.

Now the good news (not for me sadly because I took the long route) is that you don't need to fully redownload the game. All you have to do is create the following folders:

- GamersGate temporary files
- (inside the above folder) 28571

Put all the files related to installation in the folder called 28571. Then go to the GamersGate website and download the game. It will download a downloader called "Download Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Deluxe Edition.exe". Place this file in the folder containing "GamersGate temporary files" (so the GamersGate folder and the downloader are together in the same folder). Now run the downloader - it will launch you into setup pretty much immediately, after downloading the missing setup.exe file. I would highly recommend taking a copy of the whole folder at this point and saving it elsewhere, so you can reuse it later if needed.

Hope this helps someone else!

thornebrook
07-12-2011, 07:15 AM
YAY! So freaking glad it's fixed. &lt;3

Many thanks to KingDaniel0 and Justinpunny for offering their help! &lt;3