PDA

View Full Version : too many wildcats

waste-of-space
11-04-2004, 11:50 PM
i've just completed my 3rd guadacanal mission flying my f-4f3 and i'm up to mission 19 overall having started my campaign in 1941. I've attacked carriers at least 5 times and conducted three airfied attacks...and wildcats are the only birds that bother to show up. i've only seen sbd's twice and tbf's once. do they all come down with the clap at one time? i've even watched as bomb-toting wildcats attempted to divebomb jap carries--funny little bombs--hardly enough to scratch the paint we sold them...

is it just me or should i start burning my reference library for being unsupstantiated tripe? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

waste-of-space
11-05-2004, 09:34 AM
woo...almost 200 views and NOBODY has any ideas as to why this is happening. Does anyone here even play single-player campaigns or is this forum only for online flying. I'm confused... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Chuck_Older
11-05-2004, 09:39 AM
It seems like it's a loaded question and we don't want to fan the flames

PF doesn't perfectly recreate things. that's the long and the short of it

Stiglr
11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Um, maybe because it's 1941, and Wildcats are all that there WERE.

Actually, it should be 1942, since the Marines didn't arrive at Henderson until August of that year. And, there was nothing BUT F4Fs and a few Dauntlesses until the battle for the island was won. Anything else would have to come in from a CV (and guess what? Their main fighter is an F4F then, too).

Totale
11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm not one to fan flames, but I think Chuck_Older's reply is letting Ubisoft off the hook. We all know the game can't perfectly recreate everything, but there is absolutely NO excuse possible for Wildcats showing up to bomb carriers (presumably whilst the Dauntless squadrons act as top cover), just as there was no excuse for B-29s in RAF markings, USMC P-39s etc. The SP campaign out of the box was shoddy and practically broke the game for me. The IL2 line has been fantastic, but PF has disillusioned me.

horseback
11-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Actually, the F4Fs were almost strictly used as fighters until the Hellcat started showing up, so W-O-S has a legitimate beef. P-39D/P-400s were used by the USAAF at Guadalcanal, but primarily as ground attack, since they were rarely able to get to altitude in time to greet the Japanese a/c properly. The Kiwis (New Zealanders) were flying P-40Es and Ks mainly as fighters there, eventually being credited with 99 kills.

There were SBDs & TBFs from the start, and a number of Army bombers (including B-17E/Fs) operating out of 'Cactus' by early 1943, so there's little excuse for them not being included in the campaign.

However, it is my understanding that you can add these aircraft to the campaign generator's list. You might want to look into that, if you want to work that hard, or wait for some of our more gifted members to create a static campaign along the lines of extreme_one's "Two Little Ducks" or Battle of Britain campaigns. With luck, they won't decide to put it on the Gulf of Finland map.

cheers

horseback

Chuck_Older
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Totale:
I'm not one to fan flames, but I think Chuck_Older's reply is letting Ubisoft off the hook. We all know the game can't perfectly recreate everything, but there is absolutely NO excuse possible for Wildcats showing up to bomb carriers (presumably whilst the Dauntless squadrons act as top cover), just as there was no excuse for B-29s in RAF markings, USMC P-39s etc. The SP campaign out of the box was shoddy and practically broke the game for me. The IL2 line has been fantastic, but PF has disillusioned me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am quite the apologist

VF-3Thunderboy
11-05-2004, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Fri November 05 2004 11:41
Actually, the F4Fs were almost strictly used as fighters until the Hellcat started showing up, so W-O-S has a legitimate beef.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is plenty of history with F4F's using bombs- As well as TBD's and SBD's used as fighters- against Zeros. They threw what they had at the Jappers at Coral Sea etc... Valancia was an SBD driver and got transfered to fighters after shooting down 2 or 3 in an SBD. He had 9 in one day in Hellcats later on...

bird_brain
11-05-2004, 09:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horseback:
or wait for some of our more gifted members to create a static campaign along the lines of extreme_one's "Two Little Ducks" or Battle of Britain campaigns. With luck, they won't decide to put it on the Gulf of Finland map.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am not very gifted..."special" may be a little closer, but the idea has been discussed and with the existing maps, either Cactus or Port Moresby is the most likely 1st static historical campaign you will see. Unless E_O has already started working on something of the sort, you can expect it to be at least a month from now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Pearl Harbor seems to be in the works already. Without a Bougainville or Rabaul map, the Solomons Campaign is pretty much limited to Guadalcanal. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:04 PM
there will be more, be sure...

VMF223_Smitty
11-05-2004, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Um, maybe because it's 1941, and Wildcats are all that there WERE.

Actually, it should be 1942, since the Marines didn't arrive at Henderson until August of that year. And, there was nothing BUT F4Fs and a few Dauntlesses until the battle for the island was won. Anything else would have to come in from a CV (and guess what? Their main fighter is an F4F then, too). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct -
The first arrival of Wildcats were 19 "cats" of VMF-223, under the command of Captain John L. Smith on August 20, 1942 from MAG-23. They launched from the converted CVE USS Long Island about 190 miles south of the Canal and landed at Henderson airbase. VMSB-232, with 12 SBD-3's arrived with them under the command of Major Richard Mangrum.
They were joined by the rest of MAG-23, VMF-224 (19 F4F's) and 12 more SBD-3's of VMSB-231 on August 30th.
The USAAF 67th FS arrived soon after with their P-400's and P-39's. The SBD's did almost all of the bombing early on, joined by TBF's later. They were the ones that gave the "Toyko Express" all the headaches.

For a good link and read see Tribute to the Cactus Air Force (http://www.daveswarbirds.com/cactus/cactus.htm)
Major J. L. Smith
VMF-223 (http://417sqnrcaf.com/2index.html)

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:24 PM
the Wildcats stemmed the tide, a stout little ba$tard of an airplane... Got to see an FM2 fly at Gillespie Field a few years ago...It looked like it could take a lot of abuse and the pilot threw it around pretty good up there too.

Athosd
11-05-2004, 10:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Totale:
I'm not one to fan flames, but I think Chuck_Older's reply is letting Ubisoft off the hook. We all know the game can't perfectly recreate everything, but there is absolutely NO excuse possible for Wildcats showing up to bomb carriers (presumably whilst the Dauntless squadrons act as top cover), just as there was no excuse for B-29s in RAF markings, USMC P-39s etc. The SP campaign out of the box was shoddy and practically broke the game for me. The IL2 line has been fantastic, but PF has disillusioned me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DGEN dynamic campaign engine is a 3rd party tool that interfaces with the main game to create these missions. Errors in the campaigns, such as wrong squadrons/nationalities, AI crashing into hills etc do not result from issues in the core game but from this mission generator.
IMHO too much of the single player burden was placed on its developer (is it only Starshoy's work? It is immense).
Some fixed/branching campaigns should have been included - with a selection of those missions made available as singles.
I know making such fixed campaigns involves a lot of effort, however given the amount of bad press resulting from DGEN's early problems it would certainly have been worth it.

I'm also sure that DGEN will get straightened out soon - a lot of the big problems were fixed very promptly in the 3.11 beta.

Salute

Athos