PDA

View Full Version : IL:2 1946 Bonus Material Question

Mabberton
07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello,

I just picked up IL:2 1946 The Signature Collection and I had a question on the bonus material. The box suggests that the "bonus disk" contains the 4 original games, a plane guide and a "making of" video.

On the Disc 2, I see the plane guide and the making of information, but I don't see anything like the 4 original game install directories. Are they actually included on Disc 1? Or am I missing something on Disc 2?

Btw, I was hoping to start with the original IL:2, so I have not tried installing IL:2 1946, yet.

Mabberton
07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello,

I just picked up IL:2 1946 The Signature Collection and I had a question on the bonus material. The box suggests that the "bonus disk" contains the 4 original games, a plane guide and a "making of" video.

On the Disc 2, I see the plane guide and the making of information, but I don't see anything like the 4 original game install directories. Are they actually included on Disc 1? Or am I missing something on Disc 2?

Btw, I was hoping to start with the original IL:2, so I have not tried installing IL:2 1946, yet.

FoolTrottel
07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi, and Welcome here!

contains the 4 original games means that 'IL2 Sturmovik 1946' 'contains' the games Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters and 1946... as in.. the whole series in one package, not 4 seperate games.

(FB and its three 'expansions' are included ... as expansions. Included...)

So there's only one installation to perform. (It's on Disk 1.)

Installing it results into the same thing as if you would install FB, then AEP, then PF, then 1946 addon...

The Original IL2 Sturmovik is not included...

(Hope this cleared it up for ya, but I'm not sure though! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif)

Have Fun!

Skycat_2
07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I think it was just a miscommunication between the marketing department and the art department. As you know, 1946 comes as the full 'merged' version that includes the content from the previous versions (FB, AEP, PF, and Pe-2) instead of merely being a package of expansions that require an additional purchase of the base products. Oleg and others spun this as 'you pay only for the new expansions, the rest is free.' Perhaps the confusion of what is really on the bonus disk even originates from a couple of years ago, when the developers introduced the possibility of releasing the last three expansions, intended originally for just the Russian market, to the rest of the world; there was talk then of two DVDs where one would be the FB through PF game (for people who didn't already have the series up to 3.0m) and the other would just have the three new expansions for those people who already had the game installed. Maybe they even were considering a Platinum pack vs. 'add-ons only' pack back then.

Either way, the bonus DVD just has the movies, Storm of War promotionals, and an archive of event photos. There is also the Aircraft Guide PDF that also gets installed to your game directory anyhow. Nothing major on the bonus, truth be told, and I've heard that in some places Ubi isn't even including it with the game anymore.

Skycat_2
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
The original IL-2 Sturmovik's scripted campaigns are included. The flight models have changed since those days, but the campaigns are really good. They were dropped from Forgotten Battles in favor of the included 'dynamic campaign' generator, so it was a nice bonus to have them reinstated to the signature collection. So, in essence the original game installs with the rest of 1946, it just has updated graphics and coding.

Mabberton
07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks, guys, for the warm welcome and the quick responses. It is good to hear I only have to do one install, and that the original campaigns are included as well.

I have heard many excellent things about this series, and when I saw the "all games in one box" for $20 US, I knew I had to try it out.

Looks like I will have a busy weekend. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Good to hear!

I'm sure you'll have lots of questions so...ask away!

Be sure to check out Bearcat's Nugget's Guide to Getting Off the Ground. Here's a link:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645

S!

Sillius_Sodus
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Mabberton,

Sorry buddy, IL2 has just claimed another hapless victim, you're going to be busy for a lot longer than just the weekend http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Zeus-cat
07-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Download my "Straight From the Farm" campaign for lessons on how to takeoff and land. Also, visit the nuggets thread at the top of the General Discussion forum for more help.

Mabberton
07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Hmmm, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Maybe I should clear my calendar and start faking an illness so I can call in sick Monday. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, thanks for all the suggestions and making a newbie feel welcome.

arousu
07-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I need some serious help with IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.
After installing, the game will not start. When I try I get error message 'il2fb is not valid Win32 application'.
I have done installation / uninstallation 4 times making sure virus protection etc that could conflict with installation is OFF. No luck.
When I look at the 'il2fb' file under windows explorer it shows file size zero!
Can someone shed any light on this problem? Do I just have a defective set of disks or what?

Thanks!

Skycat_2
07-22-2007, 05:25 PM
It would be helpful to know if you have the North American (US) version of the DVD, or the European version, and also if you are installing into XP or Vista. I think that under Vista, only the 32 bit system will work with 1946.

Anyhow, try opening to the contents of the DVD itself, and look for the install .exe programs. You may have to use this instead of the front menu to the DVD. I can't remember which installer version you use though; I think there are various language version installers. A search of this forum will likely yield the answer though.

arousu
07-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for prompt response.

I think it must be N.A. version as I bought it at Wal-Mart. I'm trying to install in XP Home.

I did one of the installations using the install program directly on disk but no difference.

I then installed the program in one of my laptops just to see if it works and it did. This kind of sounds like there is something wrong with my desk top computer. My laptop also runs XP home.

I noticed that my desk top computer somehow sets the whole 'Ubisoft' folder and all files in it in 'read only' mode, i.e. I can not delete or add files in the whole directory. I tried to delete the il2fb file to copy the one from the disk to replace it but could not do this. I get 'access denied' message when ever I try to do anything with it.

The only way I can delete files or the 'Ubisoft' folder is to use Uninstall from the disk. That works but I just don't understand why my computer does this? I think the problem somehow is that when the folder 'Ubisoft' is created the attributes are set to 'read only' and it actually prevents installation of all files?!?

Now I just need someone to instruct how to fix this. It very obviously is a Windows issue but I have no glue where to start. Guess it is some sort of registry problem?

I had all virus prevention and even firewall disabled when trying to install but no difference.

arousu
07-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Forgot to mention that changing file / folder attributes don't work either. When trying to change them I get 'access denied' message too.

NHawk52
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Does your User Account have Administrator rights on XP?

arousu
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes, I have the administrator rights.

There are no other users in this computer, just me with all the rights there can be.

I also built this computer like three other ones before this one and never had a problem like this before.

I just don't understand what is keeping my IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 from installing correctly when it installs in my laptop without any problems.

I would hate to do a clean install of the XP again...well, for just a game no way but it means there are some issues that might do harm in other ways too...

Crash_Moses
07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
IL-2 is well worth doing a clean XP install. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But before you do that try posting over in the community help forum. Be sure to give a detailed description of the problem and cut and paste your dxdiagnostics report into the post.

I betcha somebody there will have you up and flying in no time at all.

S!