PDA

View Full Version : Navigation in BOB

gdfo
12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Dear Oleg,

First off thank you for all the work you do for us fans.

What I would like to suggest for BOB is a way to use Navigation either 2 ways.

1. Make a sizable transparency that can be keyed on or off and movable that works on the MAP in the game. The transparency would be a virtual pilots plotter. Key on and one click of the mouse you can set the center of the plotter anywhere on the map. With that you can then put it on a base and plot a course to anywhere else on the map. Key off and you have the regular map.

OR, do what MS did in MS CFS series. Put the longitude and latitude in the game and put it in the lower or upper corner and it can be checked on or off and key assigned like the Speed bar or alitude bar.

I also do really like the idea that was suggested in an earlier post. Adding a utility like IL-Sticks to the game so a player can change the sensitivity setting while in the game, particulary while online.

Thanks for reading this!!

gdfo
12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Dear Oleg,

First off thank you for all the work you do for us fans.

What I would like to suggest for BOB is a way to use Navigation either 2 ways.

1. Make a sizable transparency that can be keyed on or off and movable that works on the MAP in the game. The transparency would be a virtual pilots plotter. Key on and one click of the mouse you can set the center of the plotter anywhere on the map. With that you can then put it on a base and plot a course to anywhere else on the map. Key off and you have the regular map.

OR, do what MS did in MS CFS series. Put the longitude and latitude in the game and put it in the lower or upper corner and it can be checked on or off and key assigned like the Speed bar or alitude bar.

I also do really like the idea that was suggested in an earlier post. Adding a utility like IL-Sticks to the game so a player can change the sensitivity setting while in the game, particulary while online.

Thanks for reading this!!

Pollack2006
12-26-2006, 07:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also do really like the idea that was suggested in an earlier post. Adding a utility like IL-Sticks to the game so a player can change the sensitivity setting while in the game, particulary while online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. I'd like individual stick profiles for each flyable aircraft.

jasonbirder
12-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Not having the map open at a point centred on the Planes position would be a good start...
Also having the map in the briefing able to show waypoint altitudes, time of arrival,speed and other briefing information...perhaps also showing estimated rather than correct positions of enemy positions/Airfields etc...in the briefing as well...
Also "wandering compasses" and no all knowing "Direction to Target/Home base" etc radio calls...

gdfo
12-29-2006, 04:51 AM
Not sure I understand jasonbirders requests.

My suggestion is for playing with only the speedbar or heading features allowed, no map icons.

With map icons on,you do not really need Navigation skills or Navigation tools.

jasonbirder
12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree 100% about Map Icons in the game...they totally remove any need for navigation skills whatsoever...
As do the Radio Calls "Vector to Target" & "Vector to Home Base" (who the hell is giving those vectors and how the hell do they know your position...
I meant that the map in the Briefing Screen could be more informative allowing speeds/altitudes at each waypoint to be displayed during the briefing to allow better mission planning...

gdfo
12-30-2006, 05:05 AM
jasonbinder,
I understand that you do not like the vector commands. What does that have to do with putting a compassrose into the game?

smokincrater
01-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Before the time of the microchip. Fighter pilots when doing flights not fimilar to themselves would put a map rubber banded to their leg( DVT would not be a problem I think because the endurance was so low). But the map would have marked their flight plan, known emeny locations (airfeilds, flak areas, etc) and landmarks. I would like to have my flight plan marked on the map. Just so i have some idea as to where I am(So I could back track).<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Shoot first and ask questions when you can. You can always say sorry later.

gdfo
01-04-2007, 05:30 AM
When I play in co-ops there usually is a route to follow but not in the general room in HL.

What I am referring to is a key defined and movable compass rose on the map in online play.

A keyboard key could be assigned to toggle on or off the compass rose and it could be moved on the map by the mouse. On that map you can, on your own, look for roads and rivers and hills that can be your landmarks to and from your mission area.

It is just adding a functioning compass rose to the in game Map.

Holding a real pilots plotter up against the monitor screen is akward and not accurate of not lined up perfectly and not every one can get one. Adding it to the game just makes sense.
If you do not want to use it, then don't.
However it certainly would be easier than adding long and lat readouts into the game for each map.

BM357_Sniper
01-04-2007, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gdfo:
When I play in co-ops there usually is a route to follow but not in the general room in HL.

What I am referring to is a key defined and movable compass rose on the map in online play.

A keyboard key could be assigned to toggle on or off the compass rose and it could be moved on the map by the mouse. On that map you can, on your own, look for roads and rivers and hills that can be your landmarks to and from your mission area.

It is just adding a functioning compass rose to the in game Map.

Holding a real pilots plotter up against the monitor screen is akward and not accurate of not lined up perfectly and not every one can get one. Adding it to the game just makes sense.
If you do not want to use it, then don't.
However it certainly would be easier than adding long and lat readouts into the game for each map. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I absolutely agree with this. It would be great to have available some planning tools such as a plotter on the map. We have to guesstimate the way it is now. Good call.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/lifeguardhall/bm357_logok.jpg
"It's funny that all these guys with engineering degrees rely so much on their charts and graphs to fly. When they get in the plane, they are lucky to fly straight and level. Get a real pilot in there, one that flies by the seat of their pants and he will make it do things that the 'brains' are still denying."

Codex1971
01-05-2007, 01:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonbirder:
I agree 100% about Map Icons in the game...they totally remove any need for navigation skills whatsoever...
As do the Radio Calls "Vector to Target" & "Vector to Home Base" (who the hell is giving those vectors and how the hell do they know your position...
I meant that the map in the Briefing Screen could be more informative allowing speeds/altitudes at each waypoint to be displayed during the briefing to allow better mission planning... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me but you do realise you can turn off icons on the map<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/codex1971/Images/OnlineSig.jpg
http://www.deysquad.com/

gdfo
01-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Oleg, did you read this thread?