PDA

View Full Version : NINJA ASSASSIN's CREED???

Monkey137
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
When you think of assassin's, what's the first thing that pops in your head? Ninjas! So i think its only fitting to at least include a ninja assassin as one of Desmond's genetic memories. What do you think?

persiateddy95
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Me: Absolutely Not!

Kakashi590
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Ninjas are pansies.

SlimeDynamiteD
11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I voted no

Rainie
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I love ninjas, but I don't think they'd fit in this series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Xanatos2007
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
It wouldn't be historically accurate anyway, since Ninjas were primarily spies and not assassins-for-hire.

masterjin5
11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
I love ninjas, but I don't think they'd fit in this series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

i agree ninja's are sweet but it just wouldnt work

Halperin1
11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I think it would be great if it was set in feudal Japan. It would be sweet to use stuff like Katanas and Shurikens.

Piflik
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
No Ninjas, no Japan please...

I think AC3 should follow the 'timeline' established by the first 2.5 games...set after AC2/Brotherhood and not too far from Europe. That way it can reference both Altair and Ezio and bridge the gap between Italy 1500 and America 2012...something in the time of Napoleon would be cool...or America during the time of the colonization...maybe Desmond has some Native American roots...

Or something even more 'esoteric'..how about AC3 playing in the far future, and some descendant of Desmond's is reliving his memories...

Pattington_Bear
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't know why people think Ninja's, would make a good Assassin's Creed game, they had no honour, they were just mercs for hire.

like I've always said, Desmond will not always be inside the animus re living his ancestors, AC3 will be the last game (my guess), it's what the entire story has been building up to.

xsatanicjokerx
11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Lol you think Desmond has a Janpanese ancestor

DarkicoN14
11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:

erll so far were up to arabic and italian so why not

piercedthrough
11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Just so long as the series retains its Medievalequeness i won't care. If it turns into a shoot-em-up sniper game with Desmond I will DEFINITELY not be buying. There are waaay too many shooter games today. This is one of the only ones that isn't submitting to that stupid trend

lilbacchant
11-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by piercedthrough:
Just so long as the series retains its Medievalequeness i won't care. If it turns into a shoot-em-up sniper game with Desmond I will DEFINITELY not be buying. There are waaay too many shooter games today. This is one of the only ones that isn't submitting to that stupid trend

Fourth rule of the Assassin's Creed = Guns bad; blades good.

(At least it should be the fourth rule.)

persiateddy95
11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lilbacchant:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

piercedthrough
11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by persiateddy95:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lilbacchant:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good, there are still people who like the swords and knives http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . The gun in AC2 was well designed and I liked it. I just hope they don't ruin the series by putting it in the future with futuristic weapons...as some fans think should happen

Grygier
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
in AC1 at the very end they show symbolism possibly hinting something towards japan so maybe a future AC... perhaps a spin off like brotherhood which i wouldn't mind.

I really enjoy AC where it is now I don't look forward to it when it hits modern times and you play as Desmond. The historical exploration in this series keeps me playing.

RangerRico
11-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I think it could work since ninjas were technically assassins, and unlike Ezio, they were more stealthy, more like Altiar. They didn't necessarily wear the stereotypical all black gui, but more often disguises, which would offer a lot of customization. The architecture of the buildings would be different, which I would like to see. The problem is that I don't really see how it would fit into the Templar/end of the world plot that's been enforced in these games

so maybe

persiateddy95
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I just hope they don't ruin the series by putting it in the future with futuristic weapons...
Like this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7200/boomi.jpg

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Piflik:
No Ninjas, no Japan please...

I think AC3 should follow the 'timeline' established by the first 2.5 games...set after AC2/Brotherhood and not too far from Europe. That way it can reference both Altair and Ezio and bridge the gap between Italy 1500 and America 2012...something in the time of Napoleon would be cool...or America during the time of the colonization...maybe Desmond has some Native American roots...

Or something even more 'esoteric'..how about AC3 playing in the far future, and some descendant of Desmond's is reliving his memories...

I'm going to attempt to help educate people about East Asian history (especially as it relates to the ninja). If you don't want my help in this area, don't read any more of my post (or yell at me as a result of my post). I'm only trying to educate and not argue.

LOL. The ninja wasn't some ancient early century idea that faded out by the Italian Renaissance. In fact, outside mercenaries used for espionage and grunt work, they really didn't become that prominent until the time preiod that ACII and ACB takes place in (15th and 16th centuries) or just before (14th century). They were more prominent and more utilized in the later 16th century and well beyond (read as well over 200 years). One could even argue that they are still "in use" today just due to training continuing in modern times.

Here's a stupid pop-culture time period reference for you: Hiro Nakamura only went back to 1671 (17th century) Japan... They were still using swords, knives, samurai, bows and arrows along with rifles during that time. Heck, "The Last Samurai" movie took place in 1877. I hate using pop culture, but they did get the era mostly right (technology used, setting, state of living, etc.).

I think people forget that even though the European world was advancing, some countries were stuck in their ways. China and Japan were both very closed off to outside "western" influence for a long time.

I don't mind people saying they don't want an AC to use Ninjas because they think they're overused or something similar. However, I don't think the argument of "they just wouldn't fit" or whatnot is a logical argument.

I don't do this too often (use wikipedia as an example), but there are quite a few references for the example. Just read the first part up and the blue quoted section, and tell me that doesn't nearly explain the AC series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

As for the ninja having no honor? I'd postulate the Assassins as having nearly no honor. "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." Sure they only kill when it serves the greater good (according to the Assassins), but throw in a small bit of Templar history tampering and you have a group of people with little to no honor. Maybe they just eventually devolved more into what we view the Ninja to be, today.

In summary, I don't mind if you have a problem with ACIII utilizing the ninja in some way or another. I do take issue with using incorrect historical evidence as reason to not use them (especially time period, etc.).

I'd suggest everyone who is so opposed to using ninja and samurai in an AC game do a little research first (use that interweb for what its worth). Even your idea of what a Samurai was may change. Pop culture didn't get everything right.

(And just for the heck of it... I don't care if ACIII is in east Asia or not. I just want an interesting story and great game-play. I'd enjoy a Chinese and Japanese AC for the change in scenery and setting, but it's not a requisite for me enjoying the game. Looks like an AC game that incorporated ninja and samurai might have a fun educational twist about true Asian culture for you guys as ACII did for Italian culture.)

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by RangerRico:
I think it could work since ninjas were technically assassins, and unlike Ezio, they were more stealthy, more like Altiar. They didn't necessarily wear the stereotypical all black gui, but more often disguises, which would offer a lot of customization. The architecture of the buildings would be different, which I would like to see. The problem is that I don't really see how it would fit into the Templar/end of the world plot that's been enforced in these games

so maybe

There were quite a few tumultuous times in East Asia during the times after... ACB time. That could fit (Templars trying to take over or create a power base utilizing that chaos). Maybe the Templars are searching for Minerva Temples there. Samurai/Ninja relations as a parallel to Templar/Assassin relations (Assassins as either ninja or samurai, etc.).

Check out a few posts I made in the ACIII and beyond thread for some stuff that fits with what you said (or gives reason why it could fit, etc.). Check out my 2 posts at the top and 1 post at the bottom of page 13 ( http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...24/m/6831010868/p/13 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6831010868/p/13) ) and the more recent post on page 19 (my first post on the page) dealing with China.

lilbacchant
11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by persiateddy95:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just hope they don't ruin the series by putting it in the future with futuristic weapons...
Like this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7200/boomi.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, no, no. The launcher should be strapped to his shoulder and facing forward with his line of sight (for use in combo-kills). And, for the love of God(ess), where's the cyborg-eyes peeking out from the hood?

xsatanicjokerx
11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DarkicoN14:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:

erll so far were up to arabic and italian so why not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because it makes sence that his ancestors went from the middle east to europe. How did they go from Europe to Japan to America in such a short amount of time without Desmond looking Asian?

DarkicoN14
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarkicoN14:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:

Because it makes sence that his ancestors went from the middle east to europe. How did they go from Europe to Japan to America in such a short amount of time without Desmond looking Asian? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sarcasm :/

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarkicoN14:

Because it makes sence that his ancestors went from the middle east to europe. How did they go from Europe to Japan to America in such a short amount of time without Desmond looking Asian? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think that since trade between China and Europe existed since Marco Polo went there in the 13th century... well it could very well be that some of his ancestors went there as merchants or for other reasons. The Silk Roads/Routes existed for many centuries before that.

So the possibility of one of Desmond's ancestors going to China and Japan isn't implausible at all. In fact, one could speculate that it is actually likely.

Japan had trade with America in the 1800s too. So, again, more ways it could work.

I'm surprised that you guys think that anyone in a country has to have been born in that country.

- EDIT -
Here's a decent reference I found from 20 seconds of internet research http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/trade/hd_trade.htm . Apparently it seems it was much earlier that one could travel from Spain to Japan for trade (note references at bottom of page for further support).

Use the interwebs or other materials to support what you're saying. It helps lend credence to your point of view.

xsatanicjokerx
11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by RandomRansom:

Because it makes sence that his ancestors went from the middle east to europe. How did they go from Europe to Japan to America in such a short amount of time without Desmond looking Asian? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think that since trade between China and Europe existed since Marco Polo went there in the 13th century... well it could very well be that some of his ancestors went there as merchants or for other reasons. The Silk Roads/Routes existed for many centuries before that.

So the possibility of one of Desmond's ancestors going to China and Japan isn't implausible at all. In fact, one could speculate that it is actually likely.

Japan had trade with America in the 1800s too. So, again, more ways it could work.

I'm surprised that you guys think that anyone in a country has to have been born in that country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes but if that happend then why does desmond not look janpanese in the slightest

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RandomRansom:

I'm surprised that you guys think that anyone in a country has to have been born in that country.
yes but if that happend then why does desmond not look janpanese in the slightest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok... I want you to read my post again. Now read it one more time.

Where did I say that he had any Japanese or Chinese descent? I said that one of his ancestors could have gone there as a merchant to gain fortune (or for many other reasons). That doesn't mean said ancestor had to mate with the locals. Even if that ancestor did, it could have been so far in the past that Desmond no longer displays any traits of the Asian descent (if you are 1/64th or 1/128th Japanese, then how Japanese would you look?).

Now read the last sentence in my post one more time, just for good measure. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

- EDIT -
I said 1/64th and 1/128th because those are 6-7 generations removed (Mother 100% Japanese Father 100% Italian = child 1/2 Japanese... then that child's child 1/4 then 1/8 then 1/16 then 1/32 then 1/64 then 1/128). If you use a general rule of thumb that 3 generations are born every 100 years (have kids by the time you're 33), then it would only require about 200-233 years to get down to only 1/128th Japanese (or whatever nationality).

Had to add this last part too... for the laugh it gave me:

If I go to Japan, then does that mean my kids will automatically start to look Japanese? Or will I start to look Japanese? Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so... LOL

obliviondoll
11-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Here to make you all think about what you're saying...

Originally posted by Piflik:
I think AC3 should follow the 'timeline' established by the first 2.5 games...set after AC2/Brotherhood and not too far from Europe.
Except the devs have been quoted multiple times saying that they can set the next installment in any time they want, and may very well go back to earlier than AC1 when they make AC3.

Originally posted by Pattington_Bear:
I don't know why people think Ninja's, would make a good Assassin's Creed game, they had no honour, they were just mercs for hire.

like I've always said, Desmond will not always be inside the animus re living his ancestors, AC3 will be the last game (my guess), it's what the entire story has been building up to.
Firstly, not just to you (but I was quoting you anyway), but the correct plural form of "ninja" is "ninja" - and "ninja's" wouldn't be correct anyway.

More relevantly though, if you think the ninja were "just" mercenaries for hire and had no honour, you don't understand the concept. Their sense of honour is much like Ezio's though - they're loyal to their mission above any constructed concept of honour - fighting fair isn't as important as succeeding. Some ninja clans were basically mercenaries, but many were actually more like the samurai than either side would care to admit. Most had their own individual code of honour through which they operated.

I would have also referenced the timing thing, but that's already been covered.

All that said, the fact is, ninja were also renowned for their use of techniques which would fit well within the "social stealth" system of the Assassin's Creed series. Just because they're not portrayed that way in popular media, doesn't mean there aren't records of ninja who dressed up as geisha to infiltrate guarded areas.

And there's mention of "Yona Guni" at the end of AC1, which is an island off the coast of Japan. And the writing on the wall, which could be Japanese as easily as it could be Chinese. If you want to argue this point, I should mention that the term "Kanji" is one you're probably aware of. It translates as "Chinese script" because THE JAPANESE USED CHINESE WRITING.

In spite of all this, I personally hope that AC3 is NOT set in Japan, because Desmond has the appearance of direct lineage from Europe/Middle East, but no suggestion of Japanese features. I won't say a future AC-themed game shouldn't incorporate ninja on some level, but I don't think it sould be one which follows Desmond's story.

EDIT: Because there's been a supposed "debunking" of the "looks Japanese" comment since I started my post, I'll respond. You'd have to be several generations into living in Japan before they'd trust you enough to even admit ninja existed, they're a very insular and xenophobic people and that isn't a recent development. They've been that way since the earliest recorded encounters with the Chinese. And that means that Desmond's ancestor would have had to move to Japan 100 years before the family learns about the existence of the ninja, let alone become a part of it. Plenty of time to get that Japanese DNA well embedded into the family line, and also to pick up Japanese attitudes just because that's how everyone around you behaves. Not saying it isn't possible, just that it isn't likely. And that a different protagonist being the root of a ninja game would make more sense.

xsatanicjokerx
11-11-2010, 09:49 PM
i dont want assassin's creed to become the next Ninja gaiden game (^ nice post)

obliviondoll
11-11-2010, 09:54 PM
"Ninja" Gaiden isn't a ninja game.

It's about a battlemage with a Japanese stereotype's outfit on under his armour.

If you don't believe me, you either don't know anything about ninja, or haven't played the game. Try Shinobido on PS2.

RandomRansom
11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Here to make you all think about what you're saying...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Piflik:
I think AC3 should follow the 'timeline' established by the first 2.5 games...set after AC2/Brotherhood and not too far from Europe.
Except the devs have been quoted multiple times saying that they can set the next installment in any time they want, and may very well go back to earlier than AC1 when they make AC3.

Firstly, not just to you (but I was quoting you anyway), but the correct plural form of "ninja" is "ninja" - and "ninja's" wouldn't be correct anyway.

More relevantly though, if you think the ninja were "just" mercenaries for hire and had no honour, you don't understand the concept. Their sense of honour is much like Ezio's though - they're loyal to their mission above any constructed concept of honour - fighting fair isn't as important as succeeding. Some ninja clans were basically mercenaries, but many were actually more like the samurai than either side would care to admit. Most had their own individual code of honour through which they operated.

I would have also referenced the timing thing, but that's already been covered.

All that said, the fact is, ninja were also renowned for their use of techniques which would fit well within the "social stealth" system of the Assassin's Creed series. Just because they're not portrayed that way in popular media, doesn't mean there aren't records of ninja who dressed up as geisha to infiltrate guarded areas.

And there's mention of "Yona Guni" at the end of AC1, which is an island off the coast of Japan. And the writing on the wall, which could be Japanese as easily as it could be Chinese. If you want to argue this point, I should mention that the term "Kanji" is one you're probably aware of. It translates as "Chinese script" because THE JAPANESE USED CHINESE WRITING.

In spite of all this, I personally hope that AC3 is NOT set in Japan, because Desmond has the appearance of direct lineage from Europe/Middle East, but no suggestion of Japanese features. I won't say a future AC-themed game shouldn't incorporate ninja on some level, but I don't think it sould be one which follows Desmond's story.

EDIT: Because there's been a supposed "debunking" of the "looks Japanese" comment since I started my post, I'll respond. You'd have to be several generations into living in Japan before they'd trust you enough to even admit ninja existed, they're a very insular and xenophobic people and that isn't a recent development. They've been that way since the earliest recorded encounters with the Chinese. And that means that Desmond's ancestor would have had to move to Japan 100 years before the family learns about the existence of the ninja, let alone become a part of it. Plenty of time to get that Japanese DNA well embedded into the family line, and also to pick up Japanese attitudes just because that's how everyone around you behaves. Not saying it isn't possible, just that it isn't likely. And that a different protagonist being the root of a ninja game would make more sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love your post. Very nicely put, and I've said on multiple occasions that the ninja are unbelievably close to the Assassin's in the AC series. Glad to see someone agrees with me.

As for the xenophobic secretive nature of Japanese people and ninja, I can come up with a few creative ways to have the Assassin's and Ninja cross paths without having to wait 100 years. However, even if it was 100 years (more creative problem solving), then it could be Ezio's child who goes to China and Japan. 100 years later the offspring of Ezio's line becomes well acquainted with the Ninja as ACIII occurs (around 1640s). The main protagonist of ACIII moves out of Japan due to things that occur during that game and has a child (1670s or so). Three hundred some odd years later Desmond is born (that's 9 generations removed... 1/512th if not less... and not just the 6-7 gens that I mentioned).

Just saying... If the only reason you (obliviondoll) don't want to have a Chinese/Japanese ACIII setting is due to Desmond's appearance, then just remember that there are always creative ways to help make it work. I didn't even put that much creative thought into this recent idea. I'm sure the Dev team can think up of even more creative ideas than me.

p.s. thanks for the "'Ninja' Gaiden isn't a ninja game" correction. I missed that one, and I would have made a similar argument (however more long winded and less pointed).

- EDIT -
I just accidentally happened to make an interesting connection with my new time-line. If we adjust the time period of ACIII to the early 1630s rather than the 1640s like I mentioned above, then it hits just before Japan secluded itself and just before the Shimabara Rebellion in the Edo period. I'll leave the research to those interested, but I will say that I could see Templar influence and even the seclusion of all of Japan beginning because those in power found one of the temples Minerva spoke of. Desmond's ancestor left to escape the seclusion and safeguard the Minerva Temple's location.

xsatanicjokerx
11-12-2010, 01:50 AM

It's about a battlemage with a Japanese stereotype's outfit on under his armour.

If you don't believe me, you either don't know anything about ninja, or haven't played the game. Try Shinobido on PS2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol i havent played the game i just assumed it was a ninja stealth game

obliviondoll
11-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by RandomRansom:
I love your post. Very nicely put, and I've said on multiple occasions that the ninja are unbelievably close to the Assassin's in the AC series. Glad to see someone agrees with me.

As for the xenophobic secretive nature of Japanese people and ninja, I can come up with a few creative ways to have the Assassin's and Ninja cross paths without having to wait 100 years. However, even if it was 100 years (more creative problem solving), then it could be Ezio's child who goes to China and Japan. 100 years later the offspring of Ezio's line becomes well acquainted with the Ninja as ACIII occurs (around 1640s). The main protagonist of ACIII moves out of Japan due to things that occur during that game and has a child (1670s or so). Three hundred some odd years later Desmond is born (that's 9 generations removed... 1/512th if not less... and not just the 6-7 gens that I mentioned).

Just saying... If the only reason you (obliviondoll) don't want to have a Chinese/Japanese ACIII setting is due to Desmond's appearance, then just remember that there are always creative ways to help make it work. I didn't even put that much creative thought into this recent idea. I'm sure the Dev team can think up of even more creative ideas than me.

p.s. thanks for the "'Ninja' Gaiden isn't a ninja game" correction. I missed that one, and I would have made a similar argument (however more long winded and less pointed).

- EDIT -
I just accidentally happened to make an interesting connection with my new time-line. If we adjust the time period of ACIII to the early 1630s rather than the 1640s like I mentioned above, then it hits just before Japan secluded itself and just before the Shimabara Rebellion in the Edo period. I'll leave the research to those interested, but I will say that I could see Templar influence and even the seclusion of all of Japan beginning because those in power found one of the temples Minerva spoke of. Desmond's ancestor left to escape the seclusion and safeguard the Minerva Temple's location.
Firstly, thank you. I thought your earlier posts on the topic were right on the mark too.

Secondly, I'm not saying the Assassins wouldn't run into ninja or that they wouldn't go to Japan. I'm saying it seems unlikely, and if they did, they wouldn't BE ninja - they'd be Assassins operating either alongside or against ninja (or possibly both, ninja clans had their own rivalries, after all). Which would be a far more reasonable way to introduce Japan in an AC game. It also wouldn't require there to be several generations of Assassins living in Japan, which would also leave less worry still about the appearance of a character who's not got any Japanese in him anyway.

So yes, it could work, but if they're not going to set you up as having a long-running family history in Japan, then they better have a REALLY good reason to put you with ninja. And even then, you WON'T be playing AS a ninja, even if you are working with them.

I like the idea of a ninja clan cooperating with an Assassin who teaches them some things and learns others from them.

RandomRansom
11-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Firstly, thank you. I thought your earlier posts on the topic were right on the mark too.

Secondly, I'm not saying the Assassins wouldn't run into ninja or that they wouldn't go to Japan. I'm saying it seems unlikely, and if they did, they wouldn't BE ninja - they'd be Assassins operating either alongside or against ninja (or possibly both, ninja clans had their own rivalries, after all). Which would be a far more reasonable way to introduce Japan in an AC game. It also wouldn't require there to be several generations of Assassins living in Japan, which would also leave less worry still about the appearance of a character who's not got any Japanese in him anyway.

So yes, it could work, but if they're not going to set you up as having a long-running family history in Japan, then they better have a REALLY good reason to put you with ninja. And even then, you WON'T be playing AS a ninja, even if you are working with them.

I like the idea of a ninja clan cooperating with an Assassin who teaches them some things and learns others from them.

Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I do get what you're saying about the likelihood being low. It probably would be easier to stick with the less complex explanation. And did you read my posts from the Assassin's Creed 3 and beyond thread? It sounds like you did (see my post at the top of this page if you haven't). If you haven't, then we definitely came up with similar ideas.

With the research I did about the Shimabara Rebellion in the Edo period, I think having Ninja and Assassins together could work really well. Maybe the Assassins go on the Ninja turf and are first rivals but find they have a common goal (Templars) or something. Then by the end, the Assassins leave the Minerva Temple in the hands of the Ninja because Japan secludes itself. Then (or in the midst of the game) Desmond travels to the temple and such.

I posted about having the Ninja be a form of BAM for ACIII (ACIII and Beyond thread). Maybe it would eventually be an alternate form of BAM with different benefits (maybe called NAM... LOL). It would be like a different "class" of help you can assign as you wish (mix and match Assassins and Ninja if Assassin's BAM is present too).

I'd love having Assassins (and inadvertently Desmond) pick up some Ninja techniques to make them (and him) better assassins and vise versa, like you said (be it just one Assassin in Japan or many). I would love to have the idea of city capes and outfit changes turn into a more advanced form of blending as a gameplay element throughout the game (and not just one or two times in the entire game). Dress up as a Geisha to be able to make it past guards or only partial blending in crowds unless you have the right colors or outfit on. Then even a step farther into dying your clothes to match the environment you'll most be around so you don't get spotted as easily (even in restricted areas). Then the use of caltrops, kusarigama, and maybe roped-daggers of some kind would be fun... then martial arts and katana... "invisibility" techniques... Yeah, I'm going on too much now.

I'm sure everyone can tell that I'd love it if ACIII did something like what I've posted in here and other threads. I still won't be disappointed if they set it somewhere else. As long as the gameplay is great and the visuals are stunning, I'll be happy.

Rambo_2010
11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

If you don't believe me, you either don't know anything about ninja, or haven't played the game. Try Shinobido on PS2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol i havent played the game i just assumed it was a ninja stealth game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How could you say you don't want it to become something you know nothing about? Ninja Gaiden is not a stealth game and you run around brutally destroying everything with all kinds of different ninja weapons so if AC had become a Ninja game, I would at least like for it to be like Tenchu, but less repetitive and far more exciting.

xsatanicjokerx
11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
i dont want it to become a ninja stealth game or a brutal destorying game. it should stay assassin's creed

RandomRansom
11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
i dont want it to become a ninja stealth game or a brutal destorying game. it should stay assassin's creed

One of the major differences between ninja stealth games like Tenchu and AC is that Tenchu is more hard core Stealth. Tenchu also lacks the social stealth aspect (not to mention better tech and sandbox environment). Tenchu gives you bonuses and rankings for being stealthy, but it looks like AC will be doing that a little more as well. There are too many similarities between Tenchu and AC to ignore, but I agree. I think that AC shouldn't revert to being a boxed-in hard core stealth game. AC allows for the player to choose his or her style of play. Tenchu... not so much...

However, having ninja present in AC wouldn't make it into a ninja stealth game like Tenchu. As a matter of fact... take away the setting and location specific storyline, and you could quite easily put a ninja in place of both Altair and Ezio without changing any gameplay mechanics at all.

I think AC is such a great idea that you can set a game almost anywhere and any time, and it could/would still be true to the AC gameplay, storyline, etc. As long as the Dev team stays true to the core mechanics and concept of the series, then they could set the game anywhere. Creative minds find ways of making things work that seem natural and logical.

I hope that an Assassin's Creed with Ninja in it wouldn't stop you from enjoying the game, if they do go that route (as I'm sure it would be just as good as the rest of the series due to the people working on it).

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Rambo_2010:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

If you don't believe me, you either don't know anything about ninja, or haven't played the game. Try Shinobido on PS2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol i havent played the game i just assumed it was a ninja stealth game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How could you say you don't want it to become something you know nothing about? Ninja Gaiden is not a stealth game and you run around brutally destroying everything with all kinds of different ninja weapons so if AC had become a Ninja game, I would at least like for it to be like Tenchu, but less repetitive and far more exciting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm assuming that by "Tenchu" you mean "I haven't played Shinobido" - in which case, you should. It's better. But needs more publicity.

As for the stealth - ALL ninja games I've played previously have had a heavy focus on direct stealth, but one which focused more (or completely) on AC-style social stealth would be far more of a realistic ninja game than anything with Gaiden in the title has ever pretended to be. I want someone to make a game that integrates both stealth approaches.

And claiming that you're brutally destroying things with ninja weapons makes Gaiden sound more ninja than it really is. You forgot to mention the flashy exploding fireball spells and stuff.

Not saying Gaiden are bad games though - just that they're not ninja. At all. They're about as ninja as God of War.

RandomRansom
11-13-2010, 02:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rambo_2010:

How could you say you don't want it to become something you know nothing about? Ninja Gaiden is not a stealth game and you run around brutally destroying everything with all kinds of different ninja weapons so if AC had become a Ninja game, I would at least like for it to be like Tenchu, but less repetitive and far more exciting.
I'm assuming that by "Tenchu" you mean "I haven't played Shinobido" - in which case, you should. It's better. But needs more publicity.

As for the stealth - ALL ninja games I've played previously have had a heavy focus on direct stealth, but one which focused more (or completely) on AC-style social stealth would be far more of a realistic ninja game than anything with Gaiden in the title has ever pretended to be. I want someone to make a game that integrates both stealth approaches.

And claiming that you're brutally destroying things with ninja weapons makes Gaiden sound more ninja than it really is. You forgot to mention the flashy exploding fireball spells and stuff.

Not saying Gaiden are bad games though - just that they're not ninja. At all. They're about as ninja as God of War. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If someone made a game that integrated both stealth approaches, then I think I'd have a geekgazm, joygazm, and probably an orgasm on top of all that. It wouldn't have to be AC that does it, but I'd definitely love a game like that.

I'd like to have a game that deals with the actual way that ninja were back in Feudal Japan... not the commercialized pop-culture version... not the magic wielding super ninja... I want the one who uses similarly dressed ninja to make pursuers think the ninja has split into multiple people... the one who sits still for hours so the target things he or she is a rock (just part of the scenery)... the one who uses disguises to infiltrate and direct stealth to assassinate (or just the disguise as an option)... the one who uses distraction to produce or imitate "invisibility"...

Again, this doesn't have to be the next AC game. Though, I'd like it if an Assassin (or more than one) went to Japan and eventually learned such things from a ninja clan, but I've already said so. An AC game that shows how wrong pop-culture has the ninja would be pretty cool, I think.

OK. I'll shut up now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Patrick_Scott
11-24-2011, 12:43 AM
That would be awesome cos there are no realistic ninja games on any of the consoles or pc/mac. I'm actually thinking about writing a ninja book. I think the storyline would fit an assassins creed game. too bad I'm only 13 and would probably need to know a bit more about writing books. I reckon if they took AC revelations and converted it to a feudal japan setting, it would be ultimate. it doesnt even need to be a ''ninja'' game persay. It could be just feudal japanese assasssins. It doesnt need to be made by ubisoft, i just want a ninja game thats realistic like assassins creed.

indulgence82
11-24-2011, 12:59 AM
I'd rather not see ninjas or Japan either but it's very possible to happen. To those of you go mentioning ancestry remember just because your in a country doesn't mean your native to that country. It's quite possible Desmond's relatives visited or lived for some time in Japan. Personally I think they should stay away from main stream areas. Russia, Japan, and England all are constantly done in movies and games. Even Germany on many levels because of the WW1 and WW2 war games.

eagleforlife1
11-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by indulgence82:
I'd rather not see ninjas or Japan either but it's very possible to happen. To those of you go mentioning ancestry remember just because your in a country doesn't mean your native to that country. It's quite possible Desmond's relatives visited or lived for some time in Japan. Personally I think they should stay away from main stream areas. Russia, Japan, and England all are constantly done in movies and games. Even Germany on many levels because of the WW1 and WW2 war games.

America is done far more than any of them and Germany did exist prior to WW1.

SaintPerkele
11-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Agreed. If a game is set in Germany, it's either WW1, WW2 or a Medieval game. How about the 19th century for example? A lot of exploitable history there, Napoleonian Wars, 1848-Revolution and so on. Same for Russia, as the Fall has greatly shown, the Russian history offers so much more than the late 20th century.
About Japan.. Yes, it would probably work, but on the other hand.. it would be too cliché if you get what I mean. Ninjas are used far too often in the game industry, if you ask me. Same goes for American history.

I'm still hoping for the French Revolution though, that would make a truly perfect AC setting.

LightRey
11-24-2011, 08:00 AM
old thread is old.

tjbyrum1
11-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I do not think of Ninjas when I think of Assassin's Creed.

I think of an ancient order of Assassins in the Middle East who wore white robes and red sashes. Just something I seemed to pick up on after playing AC 1.

To me Ninjas are just... overrated? To obvious... to cliche... they just don't seem to fit in the game to me.

I mean sure, they'd be perfect for the idea of an assassin stealth game, and ties in good with Assassin's Creed, but I just don't like the idea of having Ninjas in Assassin's Creed.

As of yet, every Assassin's Creed game has been original. Ubisoft chose to use Hashshashin as there protagonists in game 1, which I've never seen used in another game. If anything, probably in Prince of Persia, but I don't play those games.

Then they chose to use an Assassin in Renaissance Italy. Seriously, what other game company would do this? I don't think any other game dives as deep as Assassin's Creed does in Templar conspiracies and the like. Besides, I don't think any other game uses Renaissance Italy as a setting.

What I am getting at is that every Assassin's Creed game is very original, something new. It's not a modern war first person shooter with capitalists vs socialists; it's not a fantasy rpg about 'the chosen one'; it's not a shooter game with aliens in it; it's entirely a new type of game with an original and deep story, and amazing settings.

Ninjas are cool and all, but they're overdone and would kind of ruin it for me.

My answer, Absolutely Not!

EDIT: Sweet! New avatar!

tarrero
11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
No no no NO

Why??? Because, even though I think it could suit the mechanics of the game, I mean, freeroaming skills, "assassins" skills etc etc, Ubisoft usually uses pretty original settings for this series; Crusades, Italian Renaissance, Otoman Empire... and I like that ALOT, Feudal japan on the other hand is not.

I would like to see either French Revolution, Industrial Revolution, or Netherlands during their "golden" age.

reini03
11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Why did this have to be bumped?
Anyways, the fourth poll option does seem a bit... weird...

rain89c
11-24-2011, 12:07 PM
It's useless to make a poll on this forum if people want Ninjas or not in AC3, because a large percentage of this forum is biased towards not wanting anything East Asian/Ninja and to some extent any other Non-European regions anyway.
Even though it makes perfect sense to implement a Ninja-Assassin for AC3, there's always those biased people on here who would say it isnt right, because they have this mentality of the AC series belonging only to European related regions, even though that is completely false, as the Hashashin order derived from Middle Eastern regions, which is where the first AC took place.

But anyways, I voted definitely, yes!
and hopefully there would be an ancient Japanese or Chinese setting with Ninjas involved.
I would say the chances are pretty high up there since they have already transitioned from Europe to Asia in AC:R, and with the entrance of Shao Jun, all this just brings us pro-Ninja/East Asia more hope.

I would prefer AC3 to be set in China with a Ninja-like Assassin, it does not have to be the specific EXACT term Ninja. Just an imitation of a Ninja who doesn't have to use Ninjutsu would be more than enough. I just want to play an assassin with the East Asian flavor. Not some fake Italian assassin who never even existed.

LightRey
11-24-2011, 12:28 PM
old thread is still old.

phoenix-force411
11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I believe the next AC might be called AC2012 but I don't know! They are ending Desmond's story next year. But I HATE Ninjas!

tarrero
11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by rain89c:
It's useless to make a poll on this forum if people want Ninjas or not in AC3, because a large percentage of this forum is biased towards not wanting anything East Asian/Ninja and to some extent any other Non-European regions anyway.
Even though it makes perfect sense to implement a Ninja-Assassin for AC3, there's always those biased people on here who would say it isnt right, because they have this mentality of the AC series belonging only to European related regions, even though that is completely false, as the Hashashin order derived from Middle Eastern regions, which is where the first AC took place.

I would like to see India during the Maratha Empire for instance, and thatīs an Asian location is it not? Why? Because It has never been done before!!!!

You dont seem to get it, do you? This not about racism nor regionalism, it is entirely about originality, tell me, hoy many video games, animes, movies etc etc do we have set during either edo period, before or later, feauring Japan and China?

HUNDREDS! And I like many of them, itīs just that I want to see new "stuff" in this franchise, I love Cold War and american wild west, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Red Dead Redemption are probably my favorite games ever! But I wont like to see an AC during those years, period.

LightRey
11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by tarrero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rain89c:

I would like to see India during the Maratha Empire for instance, and thatīs an Asian location is it not? Why? Because It has never been done before!!!!

You dont seem to get it, do you? This not about racism nor regionalism, it is entirely about originality, tell me, hoy many video games, animes, movies etc etc do we have set during either edo period, before or later, feauring Japan and China?

HUNDREDS! And I like many of them, itīs just that I want to see new "stuff" in this franchise, I love Cold War and american wild west, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Red Dead Redemption are probably my favorite games ever! But I wont like to see an AC during those years, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Indeed. Well said. I'd also like India. I don't know much about India.

rain89c
11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by tarrero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rain89c:

HUNDREDS! And I like many of them, itīs just that I want to see new "stuff" in this franchise, I love Cold War and american wild west, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Red Dead Redemption are probably my favorite games ever! But I wont like to see an AC during those years, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many of those games were done realistically like AC's structure?

There are a lot of subtle racism remarks if you're senses were as aware as mine are. I'm not talking about just in this thread, many other threads with the suggestions of Non-European regions were looked down upon in a way to attempt to discourage any suggestions of Non-Euro related regions.

LightRey
11-24-2011, 02:11 PM

There are a lot of subtle racism remarks if you're senses were as aware as mine are. I'm not talking about just in this thread, many other threads with the suggestions of Non-European regions were looked down upon in a way to attempt to discourage any suggestions of Non-Euro related regions.
Just because it's not realistic doesn't mean the setting isn't overdone. There are more than enough bits and pieces of realism amongst those hundreds of Japan/China based games to put together a few dozen realistic representations of those settings, which still makes it equivalent to a hugely overdone setting.

Oh and fyi, Japanese and Chinese aren't races, but nationalities. Now stop accusing members of being racist.

AssassinVulpy
11-24-2011, 02:12 PM
^This. I study Japanese history and culture. This post accurately decribes what REAL Ninjas were like. They didn't really have free will, unlike Naruto and most Ninja-based Anime/Manga. XD

And I doubt Desmond has a Japanese ancestor. Middle Eastern and Italian, yes. Japanese, maybe not.

You see, I can understand him having both Middle Eastern and Italian roots. If I remember correctly, part of the Middle East was part of the Roman Empire, so a person from the Middle East, and a person from Italy getting married was possible back then. There was also alot of goods being sold and shipped to other countries, so both sides of Desmond's ancestory could've met during that time period. (SOMEONE had to steer the boats afterall. XD)

BUT, they could've met during the 21st Century and 'linked' both sides, since immigration is more common now.

Japanese ancestors for Desmond is a bit...impossible..But I will still consider it as kindof possible.

BK-110
11-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
It wouldn't be historically accurate anyway, since Ninjas were primarily spies and not assassins-for-hire.

Well, they were pretty much mercenaries hired for all kinds of unconventional warfare, such as espionage, sabotage, infiltration, assassination and other kinds of guerrilla warfare.

If they kept them somewhat realistic (you know, avoiding all the cliche, stereotypical ninja-bull****), they could very well fit into an Assassin's Creed game. "Assassin" in this case refers to the secret organization and the Assassins of Assassin's Creed do not only assassinate.

And while in reality ninja were mercenaries without honor and that kind of stuff, they could very well make it a group of Japanese Assassins that live and work similarly to their mercenary contemporaries.

Well, I wouldn't want ninja in the current story. Perhaps at some point after Desmond's story is over.

Il_Divo
11-24-2011, 05:32 PM

That's great, but we're talking about this thread.

In that sense, I find the notion of "Let's do a Samurai-esque game" to be a fairly typical desire amongst developers. I'm personally fine if they want to do something centered away from Europe. I thought AC1 and Revelations both had the best settings out of the series, but I'd prefer something less done to death than a warring states/Japan inspired settings, which I fear would be the obvious target.If we're going to Asia, let's do a brand new location.

EmperorxZurg
11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
God, why does this issue come up at least once a month? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I can honestly say that I never think o fninjas when therm "assassin," is used. I think of modern day assassin, or of modern times at least, such as the Black Hand. NInjas were never assassins. They were peasants who rose up in clans during feudal China to usurp Samurai rule and go against the Bushido way that samurai would follow/impress on people. Although this does seem akin to Ezio and Altair, the Assassins were not known for the raping of conquered peoples. There's a reason that when Japan wanted to "follow the old ways" during its imperialist days, that it would constantly rape any people it conquered. Just that alone ruins the concept for me :/ and if they did assassins, they better not go with the romantic notion of ninjas wearing all black. That was only done by puppeteers to distinguish a ninja from the other characters since ninja would use their peasant clothes as a social disguise. There are just too many variables where things can go wrong, and become a Naruto/less fantastical ninja Gaiden. If they go realistic, you'll see the harsh, xenophobic morals they lived by, and if you go with the romanticized notion, all the weeabos will be angry :/ But Ubisoft has stated anyways that the game will at least partly take place in Egypt (notice I said partly), so I would be focusing more on what would happen in Egypt.

Krayus Korianis
11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
There's already a game for this... It's called Ninja Gaiden.

rain89c
11-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
*facepalm*

Krayus Korianis
11-25-2011, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
*facepalm* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I wrong? Because it's the truth that what that guy wants, there's already a game for it.

kriegerdesgottes
11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Am I wrong? Because it's the truth that what that guy wants, there's already a game for it.

No you are not wrong. You are right.

Krayus Korianis
11-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

No you are not wrong. You are right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I REAAAALY don't want an AC game set in Japan or China. I really don't.

There's BETTER places for it than those areas. Sure it'd be nice to see Altaïr and his son's Darim and Sef fight Ghengis Khan, but meh.But... they didn't show it.

I'd honestly be happier with a modern day AC game setting where Desmond is the main character and no more ancestors. Because he no longer needs the Animus to find the "temple" of Those Who Came Before. He can already access it now, and probably help mankind with the problems of the sun.

massmurdera_666
11-26-2011, 03:44 AM
oh man, i am fighting temptation to not say where and what period i think the new game is going to be set in, for fear of being banned and also ruining ACR for those who havent played it yet.

massmurdera_666
11-26-2011, 03:47 AM
also, no Ninja or Samurai or anything like that, its too cliche' and unoriginal. maybe someday down the line, but not for AC3. it would seem to lazy to me if Ubisoft went that way.

LightRey
11-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by BatemanKID:
oh man, i am fighting temptation to not say where and what period i think the new game is going to be set in, for fear of being banned and also ruining ACR for those who havent played it yet.
It's unlikely your theory about the matter is actually true and even if it is, I sincerely doubt you'll get banned for it.

Black_Widow9
11-26-2011, 11:20 AM
There has already been a poll about this. Please use the Find button to search for previously created Topic.
Thanks

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>