PDA

View Full Version : X52 vs.CH?

bchivers3377
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a X52 but see alot of people using CH products. Are they that much better than the X52? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade, if so which stick is the best?

bchivers3377
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a X52 but see alot of people using CH products. Are they that much better than the X52? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade, if so which stick is the best?

squadldr76
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I use the whole HOTAS setup from CH and I love it. I haven't used the X52 but I've tinkered with it at Best Buy. I thought it felt a little loose, but that's just me. The X52 is a good one to use, unless you can fork over the $350+ for the CH system.

Capt.LoneRanger
07-04-2006, 01:08 AM
If you can afford it, go for a CH-HOTAS. I got one 9 years ago and it is still the best. Absolutely no comparrision to the X45 I also have and I doubt the difference is all that much between X45 and X52 except the design, which actually looks like a joystick for the ole Enterprise.

Targ
07-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Do not hesitate to purchase the ch hotas set up if you can afford it.
Reliablity is amazing in these sticks as is the customer service. I would call there customer service legendary.
Go for the USB pro and the Fighterstick and rudders.

WOLFMondo
07-04-2006, 03:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bchivers3377:
I have a X52 but see alot of people using CH products. Are they that much better than the X52? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade, if so which stick is the best? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've owned both. The X52 throttle is very nice but the stick itself is like a cheap plastic toy compared with the CH combat stick.

bogusheadbox
07-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Now that the "look at me i have ch products" threads have gone though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Here are some things to consider.

X-52 Is a brilliant stick with great programming software and very very customisable.

ch-products have probably the best name in the business.

Howeve downsides are.

CH costs a damn lot more.

X-52 does not have force feedback.

So ask yourself. How much money do you have to spend.

Then also ask yourself. How important is Force feed back.

If money is not an issue and force feedback is a must. Then go for CH products.

If you are not bothered with FFback then go the the x-52.

I have the x-52 and its an excellent stick.
Ch products to me are rediculously priced and for people that have money to throw around.

gdfo
07-04-2006, 05:08 AM
I have an X-52 and have had 2 go bad on my. The only real advantage on this setup are the slider and wheels. It does have twist rudder. If you go with CH you need rudder pedals. X-52 is very loose. The sst software that is needed to activate some of the buttons on the throttle
interfere with my intelimouse software so I have 3 controls that I cannot use. Wish they would fix that.

WWSensei
07-04-2006, 07:13 AM
I've had friends go through 3 or 4 sets of $50 Saitek combos and their latest usually has a button or slider not working while my original CH stuff I paid around $200 for has never had an issue.

On quality CH wins hands down.

Saitek software is good, but so is CH's. I'd call this one a wash.

When they are working the Saiteks are good stick and certainly capable. I do like the extra rotary knobs on their throttle. I've seen lots of people use the Saitek throttle with a CH joystick.

bogusheadbox
07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:
I've had friends go through 3 or 4 sets of $50 Saitek combos and their latest usually has a button or slider not working while my original CH stuff I paid around $200 for has never had an issue.

When they are working the Saiteks are good stick and certainly capable. I do like the extra rotary knobs on their throttle. I've seen lots of people use the Saitek throttle with a CH joystick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are misqouting the issue here.

The x-52 range is noted to have shipped ot many suppliers with a fault built in to the controller. This can be avoided by viewing the serial number and purchasing one higher than the serial number range that is defective.

I unfortunately bought one of the defective ones, which was promplty repaired and returned without cost.

A tried and tested mark of superior customer service if you ask me.

So be your own judge

x6BL_Brando
07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, Saitek customer support work hard for sure. I recall buying an X45 way back, followed by a replacement in a month, followed by an interminable wait for decent drivers to appear. They did appear eventually, but it was too late for me.

I bought a CH Fighterstick and Pro pedals - three months disability pension http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif - but it has been well worth it. Almost 4 & a quarter years of faultless performance so far, so I can't get behind the "rediculously expensive" jibe.
This is based on 4-5 hours almost everyday - 5,500 hours minimum - and no 'play' or lack of functionality has reared its head.

Spare pots & springs are easily fitted and cost peanuts ... but I've had no need yet.

Read my lips http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Four years without any problems .... you get what you pay for.

B.

lbhskier37
07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Saitek software is nice and userfriendly, but definitly not as powerful as the CH stuff. The programing available to CH and the Thrustmaster Cougar is beyond anyone elses. I had an X-45 and upgraded to a Cougar last year, and the increased accuracy and control is like night and day. The X-45 felt limp and wobbly compared to the higher end offerings. If you put in a lot of hours I would highly recommend getting CH or a Cougar and not haveing to worry about it ever again.

JG52Uther
07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
My X45 is nearly 2 years old now,and its definately wearing out.So,if the X52 lasts as long,and is 80 (in the UK) I think a CH fighterstick at 100 that will (alledgedly) last forever looks like a good buy!.

bogusheadbox
07-04-2006, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
My X45 is nearly 2 years old now,and its definately wearing out.So,if the X52 lasts as long,and is 80 (in the UK) I think a CH fighterstick at 100 that will (alledgedly) last forever looks like a good buy!. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put that way. I see your point.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Som1 got a link, or what. I've never seen this ch stick.

ShaK.
07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bchivers3377:
I have a X52 but see alot of people using CH products. Are they that much better than the X52? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade, if so which stick is the best? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bchivers3377 where are you located? I have a ch set up and do not really fly anymore. So maybe you would like to make a deal for the x 52 for my ch stuff. Im in Delaware, USA. Even though I dont fly really anymore I would still need a stick for the once in a blue moon flights

x6BL_Brando
07-04-2006, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Som1 got a link </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go (http://www.chproducts.com/retail/j_fighter_usb.html)

Dr...Watson
07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I have been using CH products since the first white flightstick was launched, maybe about 10 or 12 years ago!

I have tried the X series but just dn't like the feel that much.

Before you buy an CH stick, try it out first. The simple flight stick pro that I use feels better than the more expensive fighter stick for instance, its up the the individual. I found the fighter stick too big, too clumsy etc. The flightsticj with the pro throttle has enough buttons all together. Try before you buy if you can.

james_ander
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Does CH offer a force feedback stick? Personally, I would spend less on a stick. I have a Saitek Cyborg POS Walmart stick and I can't kill it after 3 years of using it. I would go with the CH stick if it offered FF. I always thought that would be a nice immersive feature.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Ive had this Logitech for about a years and it works perfect, somtimes it goes out of whack, But I just recollobrate it through windows, and its good.

bchivers3377
07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Lots of great info thanks.
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>I've seen lots of people use the Saitek throttle with a CH joystick.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> I would like to get a really good stick and use the X52 throttle, because I like the rotary knobs and slider on the throttle and it would be cheaper at first not buying it all at once. I need a stick with the rudder function built into it because there is not enough room on my desk for my feet and a set of pedals. I would like an adequate amount of buttons and functions. It sounds like the fighterstick is out because no rudder. How about Thrustmaster do they make a good standalone stick?

GAU-8
07-05-2006, 04:06 AM
im glad SAITEK wcame out with the x52. ive had had 3 sets of X45's that have failed me in under a year. the X52 i have had since the higher serial number issue, and it hasnt failed me one bit. but my CH rudder pedals HAVE! go figure..

they work, but there is a large amount of spike in them.

other than my issue (i prolly just need to take apart and contact spray em) , CH is probably the best out there, but it all boils down to what you want. the rieliablitlity is excellent, as in YEARS and YEARS of use. but the cost is too expensive for me to warrant a "my first sony" feel. now if each piece was only 50 bucks..ida got more of em. but im not at all displeased with my X52. for the money and functionality. i wont stray away from them now. cant wait for thier rudder pedals!

onebox33
07-05-2006, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I need a stick with the rudder function built into it because there is not enough room on my desk for my feet and a set of pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thrustmaster afterburner 2, quite inexpensive, hotas + throttle, a separated comand for rudder (much better than stick rotation, this is the most important if you can't manage pedals)and also FFB version or normal...
the "bad" is that you need a quite light hand

Bearcat99
07-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Id say that depends on what you ant to do. CH makes excellent products.. I have thier pedals... I have heard very few complaints about thier sticks. I use a MSFFB/X-45/CH pedals combo setup .. which works for me. I would suggest that instead of an entire CH setup you try to find a MSFFB2.... and go with the CH trottle and pedals... or just keep the X-52 until it goes bad and just get the pedals for now.

Maxwellbest2006
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Had my Saitek X45 since I first got IL2 back in 2002. Very Highly reccomend Saitek. Great value for money-CH seem highly regarded IF you have the money.

Maxwellbest2006
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rudder-Pedals-USB-port-for-Fligh...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rudder-Pedals-USB-port-for-Flight-Simulator_W0QQitemZ260004993743QQihZ016QQcategoryZ 11051QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

While we are looking at hardware, any body using these pedals...? CH pedals in OZ cost over 250 bucks, just way too over the top.

Persecutor_352
07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I've personally never owned a CH stick, although I've owned two sets of CH pedals. I left the Logitech ForceFeedback stick (not bad, but very plastic and with hardly any buttons) for a Cougar years ago and never regretted the change even once -- not even the loss of force feedback (which I do NOT miss).

I've seen and felt the Saitek sticks in many brick&mortar shops and to me they are plastic, flimsy, and floppy. But then, I'm a Cougar kinda guy, and I'm certain to have a bias (the vast majority of us do).

Here's a tip -- while the CH Pro pedals are very good, they can't hold a candle to the pedals from Hoffman Engineering (SimPed). You can read about them here (http://www.joy-stick.net/reviews/other/simped.htm) . They are pricey, but so are the CH Pro pedals, and Simpeds outclass the CH Pros so far it isn't measurable. The SimPeds used to be available only and directly from Hoffman, but apparently he is distributing them to other marketers now. A quick Google search turned up several sources. The price seems to have dropped a bit, too. They have Hall Sensors in them rather than the cheap ubiquitous plastic pots, too (adds to the cost, but well worth it, Hall Sensors don't wear out).

Bottom line, how much $$ are you willing to part with and how much do you really want to invest in your hobby. These higher end toys are not for everyone, but unless you ask sometimes you never learn that they exist. I've, for example, NEVER seen a CH stick in a brick and mortar shop hence have never had an opportunity to see one "up close and personal".

Thinking of pedals? Be sure to consider SimPeds. You may not pick them, but at least give them a look.

WWSensei
07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:

When they are working the Saiteks are good stick and certainly capable. I do like the extra rotary knobs on their throttle. I've seen lots of people use the Saitek throttle with a CH joystick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are misqouting the issue here.

The x-52 range is noted to have shipped ot many suppliers with a fault built in to the controller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not mis-quoting. I'm not talking about a faulty controller, I'm talking buttons and switches that physically break or stop working. bad spiking etc. One bud was practically grounded waiting for Saitek to send a repaired stick for nearly 4 weeks.

The X-45 were even worse.

Again, when they are working they are great sticks and I think their throttle is in many ways superior to the Ch Pro--but quality wise they just don't stack up as well to CH.

As for rudder pedals I actually own Simped-Varios which I think are superior to CH's pedals--so not a case of just being a CH fanboi.

WWSensei
07-09-2006, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Persecutor_352:

Here's a tip -- while the CH Pro pedals are very good, they can't hold a candle to the pedals from Hoffman Engineering (SimPed). You can read about them here (http://www.joy-stick.net/reviews/other/simped.htm) . They are pricey, but so are the CH Pro pedals, and Simpeds outclass the CH Pros so far it isn't measurable. The SimPeds used to be available only and directly from Hoffman, but apparently he is distributing them to other marketers now. A quick Google search turned up several sources. The price seems to have dropped a bit, too. They have Hall Sensors in them rather than the cheap ubiquitous plastic pots, too (adds to the cost, but well worth it, Hall Sensors don't wear out).

Thinking of pedals? Be sure to consider SimPeds. You may not pick them, but at least give them a look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100%. My Simpeds are nearly 4 years old and are as crisp and precise as they day I received them. Sturdy, and well built and never need calibration even after all the abuse I've put on them.

Bearcat99
07-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Actually that price of $129 isnt bad.. I hear the Saiteks will be going for around that....

Lewicide
07-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Just go the CH combatstick

it's the best......esp for IL2 FB etc.

lbhskier37
07-11-2006, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Actually that price of $129 isnt bad.. I hear the Saiteks will be going for around that.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Review is very old. Price of the simpeds has gone up since then.

http://home.arcor.de/p.madel/Homepage/homeeng.htm

Prices are in Euros, but you can convert. One thing to note is that lead time on ordering these has been very long as they are hand made to order.

Stiletto-
07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I've had my X52 for about 13 months, after a couple months the secondary stage trigger function has broke (got locked. Luckily I just use the pinky trigger instead for more guns, I'm glad this thing has so many buttons. The Throttle is excellent, I agree with most people on this forum, the stick is alright; lots of nice buttons but the throttle is what makes this set the best. It has good programmer software too.
I used to use CH Products but I got a new motherboard and no more gameport support so I had to switched to a USB controller. If I didn't have to do that, I would still be using a CH Virtual Pilot flight yoke that I purchased in 1994 and some CH Pedals purchased in 1995. The stuff is truly unbreakable, the best in the business as far as reliability goes.

bchivers3377
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <STRIKE>Just go the CH combatstick</STRIKE>
Does the combatstick twist for rudder control, a set of pedals are out of the question?
I agree with Stiletto- I think the throttle is good. I would like a stick to use with it that has rudder cotrol and would have as many or close to the same # of functions as the X52. I was interested in the CH Fighter stick but it doesn't twist. If I buy another stick I would like to upgrade not downgrade. I will google the combat stick and see what features it has.

Targ
07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
The best simped rudders are 270 Euros right now.
Or 343.26 US.

http://home.arcor.de/p.madel/Homepage/homeeng.htm

The lead time right now is very long but they are very good rudder pedals.

horseback
07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <STRIKE>Just go the CH combatstick</STRIKE>
Does the combatstick twist for rudder control, a set of pedals are out of the question?
I agree with Stiletto- I think the throttle is good. I would like a stick to use with it that has rudder cotrol and would have as many or close to the same # of functions as the X52. I was interested in the CH Fighter stick but it doesn't twist. If I buy another stick I would like to upgrade not downgrade. I will google the combat stick and see what features it has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Combatstick is not a twisty stick. X-Y and throttle axes only. Fewer buttons (total of ten, plus an 8-way POV hat) than the Fighterstick.

USB Pro Pedals are available out there for under $100 US if you shop around, at least domestically, and worth every penny.

cheers

horseback

lbhskier37
07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree with Stiletto- I think the throttle is good. I would like a stick to use with it that has rudder cotrol and would have as many or close to the same # of functions as the X52. I was interested in the CH Fighter stick but it doesn't twist. If I buy another stick I would like to upgrade not downgrade. I will google the combat stick and see what features it has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you have a disability, I would highly recommend doing everything possible to get rudder pedals. Rudder pedals are the single best investment you can make in a sim. Getting a better joystick is nice, but the increase in control going from twisty to pedals is like going from keyboard to joystick! Once you have tried pedals there is no going back. There are reasons real planes don't have twisty stickshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Duff4r
07-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Well IMHO there is a place for everything.

Saitek is what you buy until you can afford CH. CH is never out of warranty and should something go wrong the customer service is as said before "Legendary". I have used it once. Put the pedals in a box with 5 bucks and the easy to get RMA. Pedals were repaired and back in less than 3 weeks from the day I shipped them.

A long time Flight SIM guy, I have owned the X-36 and the X-45.

Two things CH is missing, Afterburner detent and Force Feedback. One additional problem is that the Fighter stick is BIG and requires a big hand. I actually modded my stick with a foam pad as a rest to allow for my small hand. The combat stick is better choice for the smaller hand.

Two things that make up for it is the scripting which allows me to have total and FULL differential Toe Braking and to set the throttle up so that full throw is 100% throttle. I then assign a button to add 5% power giving me two stage positive WEP at 105% and 110%.

Here's how I afforded my setup. I used the Saiteks and bought the CH Pro pedals first. I then added the Fighter stick and used the Throttle wheel on it. I finally added the throttle.

Make sure you buy the USB versions ONLY! There are many non-USB sticks for sale on ebay, be careful.
Regards,
Duff

NonWonderDog
07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Ya know, I've still got an original-run beige Flightstick around here somewhere. It worked perfectly back when I used it for SWOTL, and it still works well today (not that I have any use for it). The trim pots are a bit iffy, but it's still pretty impressive.

New CH stuff is expensive, though, so I use an X-52. I'm very satisfied with it, but IL-2 for some reason has trouble recognizing the last 1-2% of the throttle and prop pitch throw, no matter what deadzone is used. It doesn't happen in any other sim, so I've got to assume it isn't the stick's fault.

BillyTheKid_22
07-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I buyed new Saitek X45 $48.99 for ebay!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif SMILE!!! VERY smooth saitek X45!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RamsteinUSA
07-22-2006, 11:49 AM
My Saitek X36 USB and is going on 6 years old and working great. I use pedals. The rocker switch is used for flaps.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

BillyTheKid_22
07-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Howdy!!! RamstienUSA, Great your Saitek X36!!! COOL! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bchivers3377
07-28-2006, 09:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by onebox33:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I need a stick with the rudder function built into it because there is not enough room on my desk for my feet and a set of pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thrustmaster afterburner 2, quite inexpensive, hotas + throttle, a separated comand for rudder (much better than stick rotation, this is the most important if you can't manage pedals)and also FFB version or normal...
the "bad" is that you need a quite light hand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How does the seperate command work for the rudder? Does the Hotas_Cougar or CH have this type of rudder control? If not how do you control the rudder if you can't use the pedals?

alphalvr
07-30-2006, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
Now that the "look at me i have ch products" threads have gone though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Here are some things to consider.

X-52 Is a brilliant stick with great programming software and very very customisable.

ch-products have probably the best name in the business.

Howeve downsides are.

CH costs a damn lot more.

X-52 does not have force feedback.

So ask yourself. How much money do you have to spend.

Then also ask yourself. How important is Force feed back.

If money is not an issue and force feedback is a must. Then go for CH products.

If you are not bothered with FFback then go the the x-52.

I have the x-52 and its an excellent stick.
Ch products to me are rediculously priced and for people that have money to throw around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ch products have got force feedback????? since when???

i bought the `x52` just for throttle and use a `cyborg evo force` with it, you can both together for 100 in total, bargain!!! looks cool too!!

i wish the cyborg had the trigger off the x52 but apart from that this setup rocks for the money

WOLFMondo
07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Ch sticks don't have force feedback but mods have been done to give them it.

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
CH was the FIRST to market with Force feedback back in the day. Sadly, they don't make them anymore and have no "green-light" plans to incorporate FFB into their inventory anytime soon.

Money is ALWAYS an object. Just less for some than others. If you're passionate about flight-sims and spend a good amount of time in front of your pc doing it, then CH is the best way to go...period. Their full HOTAS is modular though and does not require the purchase of all three basic parts at the same time.

For instance, you could get a Fighterstick and use the keyboard for rudder (it's really not bad once used to it and has a throttle axis on board). Add some pedals at a later date and you're really set with all you need. IMO, a Pro Throttle is simply icing on the cake and will make flying a bit more intuitive, but certainly not a necessity. Thus $200 gets you a controller setup that will literally last you the rest of your life. That's only $60-$70 more than a Saitek X52 and still $100 less than a Cougar yet you are getting the best.

That would be my recommendation, but that's just me. If you want to spend $120+/- and be done with it, the X52 is a good buy(...but still won't last as long or take the beating as a CH). Come to think of it, I'd still just get a Fighterstick and be done with it.

TB

TheGozr
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/6861022764

Bearcat99
07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
If there is nothing wrong with your X-52 then keep it. If it starts to cr@p out then consider CH they make good stuff.... but to switch from one to the other... ennh.. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

PAW1986
08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I enjoy playing IL-FB/PF and am eagerly awaiting SoW/BoB (dont enjoy the jet sims so much). Have been flying saitek 4-5 years (not more advanced that single stick with rudder twist) I hear rudder pedals are worth having, so i start looking around. 12 hours of searching and reading reviews later and CH have almost convinced a uni student to part with at least 200. If im gonna do this (i think to myself) i might aswell do this properly. I hear that CH is very reliable, expensive but worth it so i got some questions to anyone who's tried CH.

Fighterstick, combat stick? whats the main difference, why shell out another 30 for the fighterstick?
Rudder pedals, well actually im pretty much sold there already.
Is there triming on the joysticks for elevator and especially aeirleron? all my saitek joysticks lost their appeal after they became uncentreable. (i read the manufacturers webpage, they say yes, but for some reason some reviews have said no)
Do i bother with the throttle? another 100 is alot and i dont mind usin the keyboard for engine control but as all my saitek controllers have had throttle levers, i think id miss having more precision over throttle input? Think i've seen somewhere that one of the CH sticks has a throttle lever?
I also hear the throttle control slides rather that rotates, how does that compare?

Thankyou to anyone who responds.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-01-2006, 11:53 AM
The Fighterstick has a hatswitch in a position where the Combatstick has only a button (thumb location). The Fighterstick also has the ability to switch between 3 different modes thus increasing your programmability 300%. For most prop-sims the Combatstick is more than enough. If you fly ALL the aircraft (including bombers) then the Fighterstick may be your controller of choice (because of bombsight controls etc,.)

TB

JG52Uther
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
PAW1986,for very good prices on CH stuff in the UK try here:
http://play.com/Games/PC/4-/185051/-/Product.html?searchstring=ch+pedals

PAW1986
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Cheers, i know this topic's gettin old but thankyou.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-01-2006, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PAW1986:
Cheers, i know this topic's gettin old but thankyou. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries PAW1986, preachers are still preaching the same stuff they have for a couple thousand years...I don't mind speaking the gospel about CH as long as people are willing to listen. Strange though...like religion, people still have so many different opinions and I'm not willing to fight anyone over which controllers they choose of their own accord. I just want them to make an educated decision.

TB

bchivers3377
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be my recommendation, but that's just me. If you want to spend $120+/- and be done with it, the X52 is a good buy(...but still won't last as long or take the beating as a CH). Come to think of it, I'd still just get a Fighterstick and be done with it. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am seriously thinking about the fighterstick just have to makeup my mind if I can do without good rudder control because I can't use pedals. Will try flying without twisting for a while and see how that goes. Thanks for alll the help.

BillyTheKid_22
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Howdy!! I ask all you? Good or not good? hotas Cougar flight stick or Satiek X52 or X45 or CH Products?? Tell me!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

NonWonderDog
08-03-2006, 08:17 PM
The general advice is NOT to buy a Cougar unless you're prepared to spend $500-$2000 in modifications. Out of the box they tend to break down a lot, but with enough time and money you can turn one of them into a force-sensored perfect copy of the F-16 controls with the best programming tools out there.

Saitek HOTAS are absolutely the best bang for the buck, and should last you a few years. The X52 is far and away superior to the X45, but the springs are a bit light (they're way too heavy on the X45). The programming software is powerful and easy to use, as well.

CH products are expensive, boring, and utilitarian, but they last forever -- my Flightstick from 1993 still works. The programming software is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never used it.

TheGozr
08-03-2006, 11:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NonWonderDog </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I desagree with you about the X45 and 52. I found the built of the X45 far superior of the X52 The X52 feel toyish compare to the X45 on the throttle anyway and x45 throttle with the Ch Joy is a great setup. The X45 joystick in the other hand is .. quite stiff and the X52 is very smooth and better than the X45 IMO.
I recommand CH product.

bogusheadbox
08-04-2006, 05:23 AM
Well i suppose at the end of the day.

Wehter you buy CH or Saitek.

Just don't buy a logitech wingman.... I did...... I got frustrated..... I twisted it until the handle broke off it..... I no longer use it.

X52 All the way for me. !!

Chug2204
08-25-2006, 05:27 AM
well im thinking of replacing my aging TM afterburner (at least 5 years old), but i need a stick with the rocker switch as i cant afford pedals (and dont like twistys), does the x52 have a rocker on the throttle or is it just a twisty?

oh and im not sure i can afford an x52 atm so dont bother suggesting CH stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

JG52Uther
08-25-2006, 05:41 AM
The X52 has a twist rudder that you can lock if you have pedals.The x45 has the rudder rocker on the throttle.(You can always try to build your own pedals.Theres lots of advise here.

Chug2204
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
hmm, maybel ill just buy a new Afterburner II, seeing as im on a budget, plus im used to it

Tully__
08-25-2006, 07:23 AM
If money is no object and you want the absolute best in flexibility and control precision, CH. If you're happy with what you can do with the X-52 and you need to watch the budget even a little bit, stay with the 52.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
...and I doubt the difference is all that much between X45 and X52... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chalk and cheese. The only similarity is the programming software and software features. The sticks feel very different and the X-52 is a much nicer stick.

bchivers3377
08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I bought a CH F16 Combat stick on ebay don't know if it is any good. It is knew and the starting bid was $8.99 so that's what I bidded and noboby else placed a bid. There was no info on it other than it was new so I hope it is USB. This will let me try one without a twist for rudder and see how I like it.

james_ander
08-25-2006, 09:05 PM
I recently bought the x-52 and so far, I like it a lot. It has made simming much more enjoyable and immersive. I don't think a more expensive setup would make my experience any more enjoyable. What remains to be seen is how well this stick holds up. If it starts falling apart, wellthat would make me unhappy. BTW, before I had been using a cheapy Saitek Cyborg, which after a few years has no problems at all.

I do understand why people go for more expensive sticks. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Chivas
08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I bought a new CH fighterstick a few weeks ago the CH's clunky gimbals gave me the incentive to fix one of my old MS joysticks.

Nobody makes a good joystick anymore. I'm hoping the new X52 PRO that Saitek is hinting at releasing will have the X52's bugs fixed.

gx-warspite
08-28-2006, 06:12 PM
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ch_products_saitek_x52_review/

A head-to-head comparison.

-HH-Quazi
08-30-2006, 01:32 AM
I would really have to have a CH setup to actually tell if there is a feel difference before I would even think about setting my X-52 off to the side. According to the final verdict in that review, it is the accuracy that got his attention. I know I have to be real careful when landing with my X-52 as the slightest little bobble equtes to a huge pitch difference in the nose up or nose down attitude. He used the word "finess" in describing the stick itself. If he meant what I just related to about landing with my X-52 as far as not giving such a huge pitch up or down with just a minute movement, then I would have to give the CH setup a shot. I actually have to land ac a little hotter than I should to help me not have to move the stick much before the wheels touch down.

VF-2_John_Banks
08-30-2006, 04:37 AM
I also used to have a ful CH HOTAS, but if you really have some money left you wann blow, then go for the HOTAS Cougar together with the SIMPED F-16 pedals. And then the HAL sensor mod and the gimbal mod for the Cougar. Best HOTAS in the world! The SIMPED pedals already have a HAl sensor, so spiking will never be an issue. But they cost nearly 300 bucks alone! The CH stuff is good quality bu the T Cougar just feels like the real thing, because it's all metal, it's heavy and the throttle and stick fits much better into your hands, then the CH or Saitek stuff, as the ergonomical design is 100% identical to that of the real F-16 HOTAS. Most sticks you can buy these days, are a real pain in your butt, after you've played with them for a couple of hours cause your whole hand is hurting like crazy.

But i would recommend the CH stuuf, cause the TM Cougar is a bit flaky out of the box.The gimbal system is wearing out too fast. That's why all the hardcore HOTAS guys have modded their Cougars with the gmbal mods, HAL mods and some other stuff.

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Rats! My X45 is finally throwing in the towel.X52 or fighterstick? Decisions decisions!
Although I am leaning towards the fighterstick,and combining it with my X45 throttle and ch pedals.