PDA

View Full Version : Rules of thumb for measurement conversion?

TeufelHund84
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
In the game, I use metric as the basis by which I measure all other things (which is odd considering I'm an American). I can read someone talking about how they were flying at 750+kph at 9,500 meters and say "wow that's pretty high/fast".

But using Imperial/American units becomes harder to gauge for me. I cannot relate speeds in mph or height in thousands of feet and get a feel for how significant they are or aren't.
I remember that Imperial height measurement is roughly 3x metric, or 3.25? to be more accurate.

Or is it easier if I just think of Imperial as its own category and learn it on its own and what values are alot and which ones aren't (much as I did for metric)?

TeufelHund84
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
In the game, I use metric as the basis by which I measure all other things (which is odd considering I'm an American). I can read someone talking about how they were flying at 750+kph at 9,500 meters and say "wow that's pretty high/fast".

But using Imperial/American units becomes harder to gauge for me. I cannot relate speeds in mph or height in thousands of feet and get a feel for how significant they are or aren't.
I remember that Imperial height measurement is roughly 3x metric, or 3.25? to be more accurate.

Or is it easier if I just think of Imperial as its own category and learn it on its own and what values are alot and which ones aren't (much as I did for metric)?

MEGILE
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I like height in Feet, and Speed in KPH

Weird, I know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ploughman
10-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Me, I'm feet up to 3,000 metres, then metres up to about 18,000ft, then back to feet again untill it gets silly, then parsecs (if Dux reads this, that's not the same as par sex).

Mph all the way as far as going places.

berg417448
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeufelHund84:

Or is it easier if I just think of Imperial as its own category and learn it on its own and what values are alot and which ones aren't (much as I did for metric)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to make things more confusing, should I mention that a great many airlines and air forces use knots nowadays? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JZG_Thiem
10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
ft to m conversion is pretty simple, either way imo.

1ft = 0.30m or 3/10 m -&gt; 20 ft = 6m
1m = 3,3ft or 3 + 3/10 ft -&gt; 20m = 66ft

miles n meters are a different story tho:
1mile = 1.6km, maybe 1.5 is close enuff (6% error)
-&gt; 200mph = 300kmh

with 4% error u can assume that:
1km = 0.6mi = 6/10 mi
-&gt; 200km = 120mph

Bearcat99
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I use the speed bar... or the gauges.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-05-2006, 07:27 AM
I prefer to use Metric measurement for all flights, but if I'm on with squadmates then we use the historically correct form of measurement for the AC respectively.

It's a bit of a distraction for some to have to convert and makes proper vectoring difficult when one pilot says "5,000" and means meters when the others are thinking feet and looking down the whole time.

I know all my AC's performance numbers in Metric much better than Imperial and with the international flavor of the pilot-base, I find metric a bit more universal and, by proxy, useful.

TB

stathem
10-05-2006, 07:42 AM
I've read far too many US/UK WW2 air combat histories to even contemplate thinking in metric.

Angels/mph all the way for me.

whiteladder
10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
My mental arithmatic is useless.

My wife very kindly made a excellent navigation tool from the compass rose in a thread at Spits v 109`s, she modified the rose slightly and printed on acetate sheet and then laminated it. She then did the same with the ruler and attached it to the center of the compass rose with a brade. Voila makes a perfect navigation aid. Just write on the appropriate conversion for the map

She also printed off all the maps on A3 sheets and laminated them back to back, and bought water soluable markers pen to use on them. I now mark off all the objectives on the map in red and blue, positions of the active airfields, routes in and out of targets with headings, estimated times for each leg. It is also good for scribbling info on as it come up on the chat bar, like enemy in e17 heading east, in all a great idea.

It`s not even my birthday!

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1723/pbjcompassrosesmalljv6.gif

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3683/rulty6.jpg