PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Carrier COOP Landings

TacticalYak3
10-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Folks, going to be hosting a campaign (COOP) for online next week using DCG. There are usually between 5-10 players plus lots of AI. Part of the parameters of gameplay is everyone must take-off and land. Of course this is an exciting aspect of the Pacific theatre.

However, with only one or two carriers I can't see how we will be able to land as a group. The AI planes should disappear shortly after they land, but the human pilots will have to exit the game in order to clear the landing area. Can do this but not ideal for continuation onto the next mission, plus this will bugger the stats which I maintain during these sessions.

The only thing I can think of is editing the campaign template to include more carriers so everyone can land. However, may be there's something available in a COOP mission. Ideally it would be nice if human pilots' planes disappeared after landing too, but one could still stay in the game. Maybe they do? How have other hosts dealt with this issue?

Regards,
TS!

TacticalYak3
10-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Folks, going to be hosting a campaign (COOP) for online next week using DCG. There are usually between 5-10 players plus lots of AI. Part of the parameters of gameplay is everyone must take-off and land. Of course this is an exciting aspect of the Pacific theatre.

However, with only one or two carriers I can't see how we will be able to land as a group. The AI planes should disappear shortly after they land, but the human pilots will have to exit the game in order to clear the landing area. Can do this but not ideal for continuation onto the next mission, plus this will bugger the stats which I maintain during these sessions.

The only thing I can think of is editing the campaign template to include more carriers so everyone can land. However, may be there's something available in a COOP mission. Ideally it would be nice if human pilots' planes disappeared after landing too, but one could still stay in the game. Maybe they do? How have other hosts dealt with this issue?

Regards,
TS!

VF2_Ted
10-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Once a human player lands, he/she simply puts the chocks back in. Chocks in means that you are ignored for collision tests, other players can simply park right on top of you if they like, then they too can puts chocks in. We routinely land 8 aboard one carrier...

Best of luck

JG53Frankyboy
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
if humans have landed on a carrier , they can exit (bail http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) thier landed planes.
than the plane will dissapear and the player is on the camera of the carrier - even when outside view is disabled from the host.

ABQc_Shark
10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
S!

Like Tead says...put chocks and your plane is like parked and won't get collide with others...as same for take off

TacticalYak3
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
VF2_Ted you get the door prize mate! Thanks so much. Didn't know this but thought there must be a way. This must be kinda weird landing on top of your mates though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'll let the boys know what to do, assuming we can still land on a carrier. Haven't done so since PF was released all these patches ago.

VF2_Ted
10-21-2005, 12:31 PM
We don't land on top of one another, we trap, disengage the hook, taxi forward to the bow, and then we chock. With chocks in, the next guy can get very close, or actually overlap you a bit without causing any problems. The landing area on the stern stays clear throughout.

If I could figure out how, I'd post a picture of what 8 hellcats looks like on deck. We rarely overlap each other....heck, we used to get 8 on deck in CFS2, and they had that collision bubble......

TacticalYak3
10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, we will attempt to do this of course. However, if someone misses the "mark" will they go through the parked plane or does that cause a collision (assuming the parked plane has chocked)?

RAF_Hollywood
10-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Try the 262 on a stationary carrier. It's a challenge for sure.

http://charlie.raf662.com/photos/jpg/262_lexington.jpg

VF2_Ted
10-21-2005, 09:12 PM
With chocks in, think of your plane as a "ghost" for collision purposes, but explosions will still cause damage.

hope that helps....

Tully__
10-22-2005, 10:52 PM
IIRC, with chocks engaged wings are no longer part of the collision detection, but you still need to maintain fuselage clearance.

TacticalYak3
10-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Just a quick note. Again thanks this information helped a lot. Last night we enjoyed several missions (DCG Okinawa 1945) flying Seafires off a British carrier.

At one point a mate accidently took off too quickly and went through the rest of the planes that were still chocked. No collisions! We also had no issues with landing, for those lucky enough to land properly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Been a long time since we played around with carriers. Lots of fun. Again thanks for the help!

VF2_Ted
10-29-2005, 11:29 AM
my pleasure.

We do carrier coops all the time......glad you guys are having fun with it.