PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for all the good times, Il-2...

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
So it's the end of the road for our battered old sim...heck we haven't even had time to kick the tires in 4.10 yet and the new thing is coming out pretty soon.

So thanks for all the good times, Il-2. For all those hours lost getting shot down and coming back for more, all those hours cussing at the AI for being crazy, all those hours playing online, all those hours working on missions and tinkering with them to get them juuuust right, etc etc etc. ~S!

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
So it's the end of the road for our battered old sim...heck we haven't even had time to kick the tires in 4.10 yet and the new thing is coming out pretty soon.

So thanks for all the good times, Il-2. For all those hours lost getting shot down and coming back for more, all those hours cussing at the AI for being crazy, all those hours playing online, all those hours working on missions and tinkering with them to get them juuuust right, etc etc etc. ~S!

ElAurens
01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
The King is dead.

Long live the King!!!!

doogerie
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
yes thank you IL2 for giving me a good 5 years of sublime air combat and i am looking fowed to 5 more yers with COD:IL2

ytareh
01-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I wouldnt bet my life on it being out in next 12 months !Or 24 for that matter .A date ahsnt even been anounced -March on was a fake ...Now even if a date IS announced if its like Pacific Fighters etc it may not arrive for months afterwards .

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/7531061509 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7531061509)

JG52Uther
01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
I wouldnt bet my life on it being out in next 12 months !Or 24 for that matter .A date ahsnt even been anounced -March on was a fake ...Now even if a date IS announced if its like Pacific Fighters etc it may not arrive for months afterwards . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ytareh made a funny!
(the date HAS been announced...)

Jaws2002
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
I wouldnt bet my life on it being out in next 12 months !Or 24 for that matter .A date ahsnt even been anounced -March on was a fake ...Now even if a date IS announced if its like Pacific Fighters etc it may not arrive for months afterwards . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use The Force Luke!...and the Sticky at the top of the forum! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Umm, lolwut? UBISOFT® ANNOUNCES IL-2 STURMOVIK™: CLIFFS OF DOVER (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7531061509)

ytareh
01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Dont I feel stupid now!Anyway great news ...credit card burning a hole in my pocket trying to order collectors ed...

DKoor
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Hmmm... I'm afraid senile king will still be in my game, tho.
Until I get new rig and all the fancy stuff, and that wont be in the nearest future...

usn_propulsion
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
It will still be half a year before it is replaced so your goodbye may be a bit early. I hope you are right. This sim has been very good...had every version as they were released. The next generation of sim should be awesome!

WTE_Galway
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
My feeling is the general standard of player in IL2 will improve once the new mysteriously named sim comes out.

andrew8412
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't count on il-2 dying any time soon. Cliffs has a tiny planeset and many people wont be able to run it.

bun-bun195333
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
How do you get out of the cave?
I'm having trouble finishing Hello Kitty Island Adventure. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155267/cartmans-plan)

danjama
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew8412:
I wouldn't count on il-2 dying any time soon. Cliffs has a tiny planeset and many people wont be able to run it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This.

I'll still be online in Hyperlobby.

I ownder if HL will be adapted for COD, or if Ubi will try to run their own service, or if there will be an in-game browser...etc

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew8412:
I wouldn't count on il-2 dying any time soon. Cliffs has a tiny planeset and many people wont be able to run it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True...in some ways I'm a bit torn about El Cod because I feel like there's so much more to do and see with UP and 4.10, not to mention 4.11 (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was shelved once COD ramps up). I was thinking about working on a new Air Pirates campaign but if COD is right around the corner I don't really feel like it.

jarink
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM

I have to agree here. It's likely I won't buy SoW/CoD/whatever for at least a couple months or more after it comes out. Not only will the price likely drop after Christmas, but I'm finding it very difficult to get excited about the very limited theater of action in SoW/CoD/whatever. Maybe once a MTO expansion comes around...

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah jarink I kind of want to wait myself, but I'm also itching to get my hands on the newest iteration of Oleg's vision. I would like to wait and see how buggy it will be (and I bet it will be quite buggy at first), how quickly and effectively the COD team responds to bugs with patches, what the situation will be with new planes and theaters--does anyone know if they'll be pay to play? Included for free in patches? Restricted solely to boxed expansion packs which come out rarely?

I fully expect it to be a very rough product at first and it's possible that it will not be worth getting at least in its first version, kind of like ROF was for me.

Bremspropeller
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
IL-2 is not gonna die for me until two things are fixed with BoB (or whatever they call it these days):

- lack of Fw 190
- lack of an alternate map

Jaws2002
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I lost most of the interest in Il-2 a bit over two years ago. I just went online again last week for few missions. Still fun, but not like before.
It's been over eight years since my jaw dropped under my computer desk when I took that original Il-2 demo for a spin first time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
I'm ready for the new game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'll be playing mostly CoD.
From time to time I'll still take a P-47, FW190 or IAR-81 up in the good old Il2, or that cute Noop28 in ROF. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif
My main focus will move to COD tho. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

BadA1m
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Yeah jarink I kind of want to wait myself, but I'm also itching to get my hands on the newest iteration of Oleg's vision. I would like to wait and see how buggy it will be (and I bet it will be quite buggy at first), how quickly and effectively the COD team responds to bugs with patches, what the situation will be with new planes and theaters--does anyone know if they'll be pay to play? Included for free in patches? Restricted solely to boxed expansion packs which come out rarely?

I fully expect it to be a very rough product at first and it's possible that it will not be worth getting at least in its first version, kind of like ROF was for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as we've heard from Oleg so far, COD will just continue in the footsteps of IL2, so the answer is both, we'll get occasional free patches, and paid theater-centric add-ons. As for buggy and rough, I personally dubt it, the original wasn't either, as a matter of fact, I uninstalled CFS2 shortly after buying the original IL2, as it just wasn't worth bothering with. I (and this is only my opinion) expect COD to be similar. (although 1946 will be on my drive for much longer than CFS2 was, I suspect)

P.S. stop by and hang out with the Dogz occasionally!

WTE_Galway
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I am actually more curious how many skinners and campaign builders will switch over.

Chivas
01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I've flown IL-2 since the beta test days, and it was a polished sim even then. There is no comparison too ROF's situation. Same should hold true with the Cliffs of Dover.

Personally I will probably delete IL-2 after my first flight in IL-2 COD. The new version should be far more immersive in every way. As good as IL-2 was, going back to fly IL-2 would be like going back and playing "Pong".

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
I am actually more curious how many skinners and campaign builders will switch over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably everyone...I think everyone is chomping at the bit to move on to the next level. Il-2 is really showing its age at this point for me.

And I do hope it's not very buggy at all at launch. It just seems to be the trend now for games to be pushed to release before they should be, and they patch it up to cover up the flaws. Didn't seem like it was the case 10 years ago when games like Il-2 came out--for one thing, not everyone had the internet or broadband, so it wasn't so easy to download something like a patch.

Ba5tard5word
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">P.S. stop by and hang out with the Dogz occasionally! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey BA, I'd love to but the Wednesday night and Saturday morning (for me) flights are really too early for me. I'm not sure what's happening with our Saturday evening flights now that Beebop is out, only Zeus and I showed up last week.

ROXunreal
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Been playing IL-2/FB/PF on and off since it got out, then 2 years ago got 1946 and started playing online and been persistent at it ever since. I will most definitely be returning to this game for some time after CoD's release to get my beloved Focke Wulf, Ki-84 and P-38 fix. Will probably be horrible after experiencing CoD but hey, a change of scenery is nice, at least until we start getting more planes and theatres for CoD.

mortoma
01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I think a lot of people will still play IL2 and many of those will be probably offliners. I read within the last year at the 1C forum that SOW/COD will not even have a career/campaign, neither static or dynamic. The only content for us offies will be a limited set of single missions. And I think it was Oleg himself that made that comment.

It's supposedly going to be marketed towards the online crowd mostly. If this is the case, I might not buy it at all! So I might stick with IL2 for quite some time to come.

Chivas
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I think a lot of people will still play IL2 and many of those will be probably offliners. I read within the last year at the 1C forum that SOW/COD will not even have a career/campaign, neither static or dynamic. The only content for us offies will be a limited set of single missions. And I think it was Oleg himself that made that comment.

It's supposedly going to be marketed towards the online crowd mostly. If this is the case, I might not buy it at all! So I might stick with IL2 for quite some time to come. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong...alot of misinformation there. If you bothered to read the press release you would know there will be a RAF campaign. There was some confusion but Luthier confirmed there will be a German campaign.

M_Gunz
01-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Beyond that, I am sure that the ability for 3rd party campaigns and generators is carried over if not improved in CoD. The community will step in gladly.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif How some Americans can play a game made in Russia I just don't know. Your names will be taken! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Erkki_M
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

This.

I'll still be online in Hyperlobby.

I ownder if HL will be adapted for COD, or if Ubi will try to run their own service, or if there will be an in-game browser...etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK Oleg stated that the game will "of course" support 3rd party programs, HL & xfire and alike. Jiri will just have to get the game first... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LEBillfish
01-18-2011, 11:46 PM
ehh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

K2

JG52Uther
01-19-2011, 02:39 AM
I would like to say I will stick with il2,but I just think it is going to feel so old after flying CoD.
If the sim is stable,and someone comes up with an online war PDQ I will be gone.

Monty_Thrud
01-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Splitters

I'll only get it when the Sunderland is flyable and the Mk XIV Spitfire addon arrives.

Dacripler
01-19-2011, 09:13 AM
It's totally cool seeing guys with '01-02 registration dates who still post and fly.

I flew this from the inception back when it came out and had a wonderful run for about four years. I had to quit because the game is like a bad drug that will keep you glued hours at a time fighting and having fun. I did however come back from time to time but never did it give me the same interest of those early days of IL2 and IL2FB.

I'm nowhere near the level I once was and many times that bothers me in a fur ball but I reap what I sow for not flying, but that's life I suppose.

Maybe this Cliffs of Dover may or may not captivate my soul to enjoy it like I once did but it's worth the install and I'll give it a go like the many of you.

KUDOS to you and all that play this game.

triad773
01-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Well who knows if it will be all we expect. It looks good but really I am going to wait and see what others say before I go putting out money on this (for a while).

There is some life left in IL-2 for me, with mods. Who knows when one will be able to fly jets using the new game engine in Cliffs? Meanwhile, I can tell you that if half the jets I see being worked on are finished, tht will be more than enough to keep my interest right there.

That, and until I upgrade to an i7/Windows 7 machine, Cliffs will only play like a phantom of its glory on my hardware http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

ROXunreal
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">an in-game browser...etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want this, badly. I hate using third party programs to connect to a game

Rjel
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I intend on buying or buying the DL asap if for no other reason than to support Oleg as others have mentioned. As to whether or not IL2 survives on many people's HDs will depend on how quickly add ons appear for the new sim. We all have become very spoiled by having hundreds of A/C available in IL2. No matter how good Cliffs of Dover (just rolls of your tongue, don't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) is, there will be many who still feel the need to fly their own particular favorite. IL2 maxed out graphically is still a pretty good looking sim.

Chivas
01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
Splitters

I'll only get it when the Sunderland is flyable and the Mk XIV Spitfire addon arrives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its good that most people will support the sim from the start otherwise we might never see the Sunderland and Mk XIV Spitfire.

Bearcat99
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rjel:
I intend on buying or buying the DL asap if for no other reason than to support Oleg as others have mentioned. As to whether or not IL2 survives on many people's HDs will depend on how quickly add ons appear for the new sim. We all have become very spoiled by having hundreds of A/C available in IL2. No matter how good Cliffs of Dover (just rolls of your tongue, don't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) is, there will be many who still feel the need to fly their own particular favorite. IL2 maxed out graphically is still a pretty good looking sim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Monty_Thrud
01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
Splitters

I'll only get it when the Sunderland is flyable and the Mk XIV Spitfire addon arrives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its good that most people will support the sim from the start otherwise we might never see the Sunderland and Mk XIV Spitfire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok then, i'll buy it if Oleg promises the Jet-Pack is available on level 3...but i want the Typhoon, Tempest, Lancaster, Meteor thrown in with that addon and no flyable Jerry planes, god they fugly.

crucislancer
01-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Oh so true. I need a new PC for sure, and don’t expect to have one by March. IL-2 still has a lot of life left in it, for me at least. I’ll still play it until CoD has a comparable planeset.

Treetop64
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I, for one, certainly don't anticipate retiring IL-2 anytime soon, CoD or not... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

wayno7777
01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Wot treetop says....

M2morris
01-31-2011, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
I, for one, certainly don't anticipate retiring IL-2 anytime soon, CoD or not... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here. Exactamundo. I am mired in IL2 1946 and I don't see an end to that right now.

Gunshi0891
01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
I think we 'll have to wait at least 2 years before COD gets 1/4th of the number of flyable planes we currently have in IL-2 .

Besides , apart from the awful AI , IL-2 still feels and looks gorgeous to me after 6 years of playing it , so even though i'll of course buy and support COD ( which will age well like a good wine ) , i don't plan to stop flying IL-2 mainly because of the Pacific and Eastern front which is unlikely to be featured any time soon in COD , as i read elsewhere that it takes a lot more work to model airplanes , maps and objects in the new sim

jensenpark
01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bun-bun195333:
How do you get out of the cave?
I'm having trouble finishing Hello Kitty Island Adventure. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155267/cartmans-plan) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy Cow! It's Bun! One of the very original Dogz.

Come back! All is forgiven (actually, you have a lot to atone for...the bloody Dogz have spread like rabbits - or herpes - and have wrecked the place)

ElAurens
02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
http://www.pilotspub.org/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=454

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bearcat99
02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I still think that all the guys in this thread that say they will wait should reconsider.

Look guys you all know what you are going to get here... It's going to be better than IL2.. and you all know it. Most of those who say they wont buy it outright also are smart enough... and have been around here long enough to know what's at stake. I hope that whatever kind of security features this sim has will make it more difficult to steal... Considering the hours of enjoyment I have gotten from IL2 since 2002.. even paying full price for all the incarnations.... including the $40 for the original was well worth it when I factor in time spent enjoying/$$$ paid..

TheGrunch
02-03-2011, 04:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I still think that all the guys in this thread that say they will wait should reconsider.

Look guys you all know what you are going to get here... It's going to be better than IL2.. and you all know it. Most of those who say they wont buy it outright also are smart enough... and have been around here long enough to know what's at stake. I hope that whatever kind of security features this sim has will make it more difficult to steal... Considering the hours of enjoyment I have gotten from IL2 since 2002.. even paying full price for all the incarnations.... including the $40 for the original was well worth it when I factor in time spent enjoying/$$$ paid.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
+100000000

As much as I can see that it might not have the blockbuster graphics of WoP (although at least CoD will have some kind of actual view distance and not be all brown), I don't really care. This is the real successor to the entire combat flight genre up to this point. RoF hasn't lived up to its initial promise and there's nothing else on the horizon for the pre-60s combat simmer except Strike Fighters 2 expansions. A fun game that I am happy to play, to be sure, but not a real sim.
I know CoD will keep me occupied for years, taking Il-2 as an indication it's probably going to be one of the most cost-effective purchases I've ever made. The genre needs the support.

larschance
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I have bought every available version of Il2 since it started and so have dozens of missions and several careers to fly yet.
I will buy COD to support Oleg and the teams but will have to save up for a more powerful pc in order to maximise its potential. I do hope they follow the same merchandising route so it is relatively easy to obtain dvd versions and add ons without hassle. However I will not pay for individual aircraft add ons unless they are part of a bigger package. e.g. Wings of Luftwaffe add on for WOP would have been better saved for a more expansive pack.
Long live this best of all WW2 flight sims.

Ba5tard5word
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I can definitely see people sticking with Il-2 for a while. You can play it on a cheap computer, and COD will be probably $50, and a lot of people don't have much money these days. Il-2 has a ton of maps and planes, especially with UP, which gives you a ton more variety of stuff to do than COD ever will until they add more maps and planes. I can see the limited number of scenarios in COD making it get a bit stale after a while, but hopefully just playing it will be so immersive and fun that it's too hard to go back to Il-2.

It's also very possible that the game will be buggy from the start, and/or have performance issues, and/or be frustrating to play online. I pray it won't be but even the best developers are more and more guilty of releasing games that need major patches to just to get them to be playable, let alone to make them fun to play. Oleg is a Russian developer and while Il-2 is much better than even many Western-developed games, other than Il-2 I haven't played an Eastern European game that had major issues, and even Il-2 has some issues like stuttering and no multi-core support (though that's mainly due to the age of the sim).