PDA

View Full Version : New User - Having Issues Flying

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I just recently purchased 1946 and looks like a great game. But having trouble flying the planes. On quite a few of the planes, I find it extremly hard to keep the plane level and stop from going side to side and up and down. Is this realistic? I have even tried it on easy mode and still see the same. Could I have a problem with my joystick which is X52? I really want to play but very frustrating I can't keep the plane somewhat level and at the same altitude.

Thanks!

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I just recently purchased 1946 and looks like a great game. But having trouble flying the planes. On quite a few of the planes, I find it extremly hard to keep the plane level and stop from going side to side and up and down. Is this realistic? I have even tried it on easy mode and still see the same. Could I have a problem with my joystick which is X52? I really want to play but very frustrating I can't keep the plane somewhat level and at the same altitude.

Thanks!

Wildnoob
12-21-2008, 05:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlyBelle:
I can't keep the plane somewhat level and at the same altitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for me it's a hard task and I'm still learning.

first you need to know that is necessary to trim the plane correctly to maintein a constant.

go to the controls section and select a moving axi for elevator trim.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif I recommend use the mouse wheel, but of couse the final word is from you.

doing this you gonna be able to compensate the gain of speed, but it's not just this for make the plane fly at a constant altitude. most of the planes have a instruments called variometer :
http://www.eglider.org/images/uploads/sc-7_(4).jpg

* I couldn't post the image, copy and past it on your browser.

check the aircraft guied to know where is the variometer in each aircraft that have it.

after you compensante the gain of altitude, you need to make some corrections with the stick to set it neutral. do sligth up and down movemments until you have reach the 0 in the instrument.

take some time and you need to make some adjustments with the elevator trim, but soon you will be flying at a constant altitude.

I recommend that you start with a easy plane to trim, like the Ki-27 or the Hurricane. it take some time but you will learn. you need to have paciente but with sure you are a great pilot and will manage in short time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Thank you very much...I will try that. Any thoughts on what to do about moving side to side as well?

MaxMhz
12-21-2008, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlyBelle:
Thank you very much...I will try that. Any thoughts on what to do about moving side to side as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Set a profile under Hardware - Input that has the left sliders down and the sliders to the right approaching 100% in a curve. Keep the left sliders close to 0% (less sensitivity). That way your "center" position will not start deviating from it's center position so much.
IL-2 is extremely good in it's flight models.
It is a LOT more realistic than any other flight simulator. Read about real aircraft; just about everything can be applied to flying IL-2.

Wildnoob
12-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Thank you very much...I will try that. Any thoughts on what to do about moving side to side as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.cairaviation.co.uk/images/GYROS/america_turn_and_slips.jpg

check this out as well, it's a instrument called slip ball.

it's the torque of the prop in single engine planes that is doing this. there are 2 ways that I know you can solve this. first, by adjusting the rudder or the aierelon trim. again go to the controls section and select an I belive you should try adjust an axi for the rudder trim because there are not all plane that have airelon trim. after that just adjust it to maintein the slip ball centered. this should solve the problem, but sometimes it's necessary do make a few adjusments.

but the problem is that not all aicraft have rudder trim. for the ones that not have it, you should trim the plane with pedals, that going to be necessary. with pedals just press then until the slip ball stay centered and don't move the pedals again until you want to break the cruize fligth.

another thing is that any change of speed, dive etc, going to make the aircraft necessary be trimmed again.

I probably tell everything wrong to you. but there are really expert pilot's here that it's impossible to compare my explanations to then.

good luck and sorry if I tell you many wrong things.

GH_Klingstroem
12-21-2008, 05:45 AM
What planes are you flying Slybelle?!
German planes are trimmed only for cruise speed only, as they were in real life. At any other speed they will roll left or right and you will constantly have to apply rudder to make the stay where you want.
Some planes need more correction, some less.

US planes can be trimmed so they fly perfectly even after you let go of the controls.
So pls let us know what AC you mainly fly!
best regards

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks everybody, I believe everyone has answered my question. Sounds like what I'm seeing is not an issue, but just a good representation of real life flying. I was really trying this with a number of different aircraft but now that you mention it, I was able to fly US planes the best.

I'll have to try all the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Just curious, does anybody have hardware profiles (as mentioned above) that most people use to control the sensitivity? Thanks!

dirkpit7
12-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Download this program:

JoyControl (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021)

Makes adjusting sensivity easier. Probably best to experiment yourself to find out what suits best for you.

Btw. X52 has two rotary switches on the throttle that I think are very handy for trimming. By default they are too sensitive, but if you adjust them with JoyControl they work very well.

Xiolablu3
12-21-2008, 07:46 AM
HI, welcome to the forums.

What you are experiencing is a natural part of flying.

Aircraft must be 'trimmed' for a given speed. Which means moving the control surfaces very slightly to make the plane fly straight and level.

Fighters in IL2 are usually trimmed for cruising speed, which is often around 350kph. Above or below this speed the plane will not fly straight and level unless you 'trim' the control surfaces for that speed.

Think of it a bit like balancing the wheels on a car to make it drive straight. Except in an aircraft trimming is an ongoing process for every change of speed.

Each change of speed results in a different airflow over the wings and surfaces, and more or less lift if you are going faster or slower.

Some pilots swear by trim, others like myself constantly compensate with the joystick for the plane not flying straight and level.

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I hate to ask this question since I know most people like the realistic nature of the game, but for us startes, does there happen to be an "easy" option for Trim that it will happen automatically? Would be just nice to use as I get to learn all the other stuff.

Wildnoob
12-21-2008, 08:25 AM
for us startes, does there happen to be an "easy" option for Trim that it will happen automatically? Would be just nice to use as I get to learn all the other stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belive not. but bombers have auto-pilot. search in the controls for the option "level stabilizer" and place a key there.

the only figther that have auto-pilot is the Do-335 in both of it's versions.

but wat kind of problem you are having ?

we are here to help, so give us at least a sumary of your current problems.

Xiolablu3
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I hate to ask this question since I know most people like the realistic nature of the game, but for us startes, does there happen to be an "easy" option for Trim that it will happen automatically? Would be just nice to use as I get to learn all the other stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi its really easy, make it the first thing you learn.

Heres a tip. As long as you have a joystick (you really MUST have a joystick for this game)

In the 'Controls' menu, assign the 'up arrow' to 'elevator trim up',
the 'down arrow' to 'elevator trim down',
'left arrow' to 'rudder trim left',
'right arrow' to 'rudder trim right'.

Now take off in a Spitfire or P51, and hold down one of those arrow keys and see what happens. Now try another. You will soon see how simple it is to 'trim' your plane.

Holding the arrow key down will make a large change to the trim, tapping it will make minute adjustments.

See how simple it is?

You do have a joystick?

crucislancer
12-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted an X52 profile for IL-2 1946 on mission4today a while back, here's the link:

X52 profile for IL-2 1946 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3492)

The file includes a readme that explains where everything goes. You will also need JoyControl if you don't have it already:

IL-2 JoyControl (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021)

You will also need the latest drivers and profile software from Saitek, which you can get from their website. This profile is not compatible with earlier versions of the software.

The profile may or may not work for you, but it's a good start. Most of the controls are in the profile, so you should be able to make changes with ease to suit your needs. Also, elevator trim is on the top Rotary, Rudder trim is on the smaller one.

If you have any questions, you can e-mail me on the address provided in the readme.

rhittle
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I suggest keep all the sliders to 100% but in your joystick settings encrease the dead zone to a size that makes it easy for you to fly. As you get better make the dead zone smaller. Keep in mind that your store bought joystick only has a stick about eight inches long. If you were to do an overhaul of the stick and make it three feet long than you would not need a deadzone and you would have a stick that fits the fm of the game. As of now the FM of the game does not match any joysticks. I have a friend that bought some expensive three foot long stick for the actual cockpit he made. All real looking gagues hooked up to the computer for IL2. The stick he had - made an unbelievable difference on how well you could handle any of the planes.

Bearcat99
12-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a learning curve with this sim.. A pretty steep one. Don't give up and dont expect what you would normally get in a "flying game"... This is different.. but worth the effort and practice.

SlyBelle
12-21-2008, 02:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rhittle:
I suggest keep all the sliders to 100% but in your joystick settings encrease the dead zone to a size that makes it easy for you to fly. As you get better make the dead zone smaller. Keep in mind that your store bought joystick only has a stick about eight inches long. If you were to do an overhaul of the stick and make it three feet long than you would not need a deadzone and you would have a stick that fits the fm of the game. As of now the FM of the game does not match any joysticks. I have a friend that bought some expensive three foot long stick for the actual cockpit he made. All real looking gagues hooked up to the computer for IL2. The stick he had - made an unbelievable difference on how well you could handle any of the planes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you explain a little more about the dead zone? Is there a guide on how to set it?

rhittle
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
SlyBell, 'dead zone' is an area where there is no input response to the movement of your joystick. Lets say you have a dead zone set to a quarter of an inch. You can move the top of the stick and get not response of movement from your plane. Most joysticks come with software when you load the drivers and such. Find that software and click on the exe. Options should come up to do all sorts of things. Just remember, the larger the dead zone the less response from the plane. Make it to small and every hair width movement of the stick is translated into movement of the plane controls. Most of us are not that good at moving the stick so very tiny. The other solution is to buy a cheap joystick, take the handle part apart, cut the wires, add three feet of stick and splice in more wire for what you cut. Not pretty, but affective.

K_Freddie
12-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Some screen grabs of Hardware -&gt; Input settings...
You most probably will not use these now, but don't forget them (save the pics for later).
These settings produce very responsive aircraft - It doesn't take long to get used too, but it requires a bit of discipline.
You might use these settings later as your skills improve.
Some will complain that it's not reality... well, which reality would this this be !!

Pitch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/vanjast/Pitch.jpg

Roll
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/vanjast/Roll.jpg

Yaw (Rudder)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/vanjast/Yaw.jpg

Have fun..
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crucislancer
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Interesting setup on Pitch, Freddie. What stick do you use?

M_Gunz
12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Deadzone is for loose stick axes. Otherwise it's a good way to throw yourself off on stick throw.

Filter can be used to deaden spikes or vibration when moving the stick or just from your hand or even to smooth your moves.

If you have a good stick then don't use deadzone. Filter however can be your friend regardless.

Experiment with your sliders and keep trying even after you find something that works, it might not be the best.
Worst part is that what is great for one plane won't be for the rest, a sticks utility that lets you save and load different
settings is well worth using.

M_Gunz
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
Interesting setup on Pitch, Freddie. What stick do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for what plane(s)?

Crippling full pitch authority like that....

Crikey2008
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I hate to ask this question since I know most people like the realistic nature of the game, but for us startes, does there happen to be an "easy" option for Trim that it will happen automatically? Would be just nice to use as I get to learn all the other stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to you Slybelle:
You can fly an aircraft without any trim anytime. My humble advice is to leave trim for now and just make sure you accelerate the aircraft on game spawn to get up flying speed. Once this is done the wobbles, drifts and shakes etc will lessen (though never disappear)and you will be flying as smooth as a baby's bottom. It will also help if you don't panic on the stick also...ie jerking it in panic to correct a wobble, drift, shake etc.

To everyone else Seasons Greetings and all the best for 2009 and bye...its been fun on the forum (except for the Moderators)

KrashanTopolova

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-23-2008, 06:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crikey2008:

to you Slybelle:
You can fly an aircraft without any trim anytime. My humble advice is to leave trim for now and just make sure you accelerate the aircraft on game spawn to get up flying speed. Once this is done the wobbles, drifts and shakes etc will lessen (though never disappear)and you will be flying as smooth as a baby's bottom. It will also help if you don't panic on the stick also...ie jerking it in panic to correct a wobble, drift, shake etc.

To everyone else Seasons Greetings and all the best for 2009 and bye...its been fun on the forum (except for the Moderators)

KrashanTopolova </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww, you don't like us cause we keep catching you Sergio/Sgt. Slaughter/etc. lol.

K_Freddie
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
X52, but it's slowly breaking http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif after 2 years of abuse.
Planes... Primarily FW190, then ME109, P40, P51.. and anything else that happens to be left on the map.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

K_Freddie
12-25-2008, 03:06 PM
As a side note.. I decided to let these (top secret) settings go public... as I'm sure you will realise that, after trying this, you've been duped by the 1,10,20,...90,100 scales http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PhantomKira
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Keep in mind how vital a properly trimmed airplane is: With proper trim, you aren't using the whole control surface to counter act aerodynamics. This means that you have less drag, which means you will accelerate faster, attain higher speeds, and have a generally cleaner airframe. This can make the difference in air combat, and save your muscles in regular flight.

Per your origional post, SlyBelle, there is such a thing called "Pilot Induced Occelations", which is the up and down movement of the nose you were talking about. This is the result of being "ham fisted", keeping a tight grip on the controls and jerking the controls around. A light touch is generally all that is required. Not to say that in the middle of a thunderstorm or a sudden downdraft you'll have to yank it around, but that's the exception, not the rule. A plane, properly trimmed, will fly itself, and very smoothly at that.