PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to Scream and Yell at someone? Please do it here...

maztec
10-25-2004, 06:45 PM

modarith
10-25-2004, 07:50 PM
is it ok if i stick my first post up in here Maztec.... not the second one lol

maztec
10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
modarith, hmm, if I could remember the contents of it :P

Go for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If you could tone down the pro-piracy vent that'd be good.

Maz

modarith
10-26-2004, 12:13 AM
its not PRO Piracy(I can understand why you thought so though). I was making a point lol. I'm agenst Piracy as well, I Mean its not fair that I pay and others don't, but it does happen....

First of all I too was experiencing a problem with loading the game from DVD, but this is not the first time. Actually now that I think about it "Splinter Cell" wouldn't work ether which is also Ubi Soft. Myst being on DVD-Rom and "Splinter Cell" being on CD-Rom, I'm now more sure then not that it has everything to do with the Piracy Protection Methods, then the Disc Format.

Now with that said lets look at facts:
1. The "DVD Issues? In Here!" topic has more views and replys then any other on this board. So its easy to conclude that this isn't a small problem.
2. The Piracy Protection Methods that they implement have the same loop holes as everyone else. If i wanted to I could install any game on 100's of computers all with one copy....

IM NOT GOING TO I'M JUST SAYING THAT I CAN

3. People are returning games because they would rather have there money then a set of $40 coasters, I mean what's the good in a game you cant play....
4. This doesn't motivate more people to buy your games because word of mouth is very affective, I buy most games because I saw my friend playing it, but if I see that same person frustrated cause of some problem that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Well I change my mind real fast.

So lets talk about Piracy (OHH NO NOT THAT TOUCHY SUBJECT).
I'm not going to say where I'm not going to say how, I'm just going to say if people want games free they will get them free, but alot of us don't because we support your games, Ubi Soft, Cyan, and everyone else that had a hand in this great game, and they deserve there paychecks just as much as we do. However there are always people that are going to take what they can when they can (its nothing new =P), and I promise For Them Piracy Protection Methods are a very VERY small hurdle in archiving that goal, but to your standard Joe the one that goes out and buys the game this is a VERY Big hurdle and there not making the jump well at all. So you end up hurting the consumer more then the person not paying a dime, which doesn't make much sense. Then the consumer takes the game back which in affect hurts you. This is not accomplishing anything.

My whole point in the above statement isn't PRO Piracy its just whats going on like it or not, and I think Gaming companys need to know this. Thats all I am trying to say...

Well then what's the answer to this problem? I don't know. I'd like to say that you might have to accept the fact that things are going like they are. That some people are going to take advantage of what they can. So try to make things as easy as you can for the consumer and we will come back next time. Ubi Soft makes alot of good games and I'm sure there's alot of people who agree with me. We will support you in the future

ohh and one more thing, alot of people spent there last $40 on your game (me included) and just don't have the funds or the means to buy a new DVD-ROM Drive when the one we have obviously works because it will install the Game in full.....

Well thanks for listening to my rant if you did =)

maztec
10-26-2004, 01:07 AM
Your correct, it isn't pro piracy. Was the followup context you used before that made it such.

I paid $40 for the game also. I actually had these same issues with Doom3 of all things. But the bulk of the views to the thread in question are caused by the Dual Layer DVD issues, not SafeDisc. Albeit some are caused by SafeDisc. Which belongs in the class of reasons why I finally split that thread up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maz

PS: I'll try not to make it a habbit to respond to everything here.

modarith
10-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I bought Doom3 too diddent have that problem hmmmmm.

The Plot Thickens.

modarith
10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
hmmmm thats funny lol

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-10-08&res=l

OneofDex
11-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Hi,
I bought DOOM3 too and didn't have any problems installing it. It seems the people who pay for the software have more to lose than those who don't need to pay for it. Perhaps when people stop buying the software the companies will learn.

maztec
11-06-2004, 01:05 PM
One: Unlikely --- More likely that they'll start suing like the MPAA and RIAA. :P

OneofDex
11-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi,
If people stopped buying poor quality software products, then the companies making it would have no income and the bad products would disappear. I, like most people will pay good money for a good product when I have a middle class income. But I agree with you, our world is not ideal and they are more likely to use their cash reserves to sue those who can least afford their products. :P

xnighter
11-06-2004, 07:25 PM
i am an owner of doom3 too. i had not a single glitch running it from the beginning to the very end. why does ID can and UBI can't? this is the question.

Coronagold
11-07-2004, 04:20 AM
Uh oh, it's getting close to Christmas, and we all know what Ubi does around Christmas, don't we, boys & girls? It's Ubis' time to FLAKE OUT!

First Uru. Now the Revelation patch. This company just doesn't get it. And I really don't think they know their artists on a first name basis. "You there...draw this!" Sorta like lawyers & creators came together in some unholy matrimony.

Ubi wants to dump Cyan so bad they can taste it. If Uru was a shoot 'em up/level up game it'd be No.1 in Ubi's line-up. They don't have the patience for thought or QA.

Khatie_
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Corona... hey buddy quit spreading disinformation and making it sound like fact.

The truth is we're human beings and screw up. But one thing we don't want to do is "dump" Cyan. Sheesh... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As for the patch, it's being fixed now.

Hey, come in here and whine and gripe and b#*ch all you want to but please, don't just state useless, false, and inflammatory remarks about the company whose forums you're using to do it.

That's just... negative, mean and a big drag.

Corona... you need a spanking. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 06:19 AM
Well I'll be glad when they fix the ATI graphics problem. Spire looks terrible with the depth of field missing. But hey the game is nice too play. Pity I've finished it. Only cost $90AU for the game, another DVD drive (tested in 3 drives), over 8 hours installing and patching and lousy graphics. What a great game

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I submitted the following to Ubisoft in the "Ask a Question" section:

The reference number for this question is '041112-000418'

My question is: How did this product ever become acceptable for release to the public ?

I purchased your game for $90AU, making sure my machine fulfilled the minimum PC requirements, only to find it does not install via my DVD ROM drive. I then proceeded online to the forums at www.mystworlds.com (http://www.mystworlds.com) to seek answers to my problem. I followed the forum threads to obtain the necessary information to install the game.
I installed the safedisc program only to find disc 2 is unable to load the rest of the game, I returned to the forums to discover my DVD ROM requires an upgrade. I tested 3 DVD ROM drives (only one is under 12 months old) and only one will read the discs. This drive was used to fully install the game. I was informed via forums that fault lies with DVD manufacturers and that Ubisoft knew of the problem.
The game was functioning and can be played at 1024x768 with all features enabled. I used autoupdate feature, downloaded patch, and game is now lacking in graphic detail to an extent that the game is unenjoyable, but perservered. Saving and loading games is obviously stressing my machine judging by the time it takes to perform these functions.
I have finished the game but feel I am a victim of fraud, especially after playing all previous Myst games.
I have also purchased DOOM3 and had no trouble installing game in the same computer with the old DVD ROM drive or had any problems with graphics and saving or loading games. This game I also finished and it cost me $90AU also.
My games machine (one several in a network) is as follows: ASUS DVD ROM now LiteOn DVD ROM, Abit AT7 MAX2 Mobo, 512MB DDR Corsair memory, AMD XP2700+ processor, ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB memory graphics card and SATA harddrive with 500W PSU running WinXP home.
I believe that if ID Software can create a game and place it on a media which installs via almost any DVD ROM drive then Ubisofts problems with DVD manufacturers is of their own making. I now seem to be an unwilling Beta tester and to also have paid for the privelege and am a pawn for Ubisoft in their push to get DVD manufacturers to upgrade their DVD drives. And I have a dysfunctional game from Ubisoft, crippled by a patch from Ubisoft and the only course of action open to me is to either re-install the game or transfer more files from the DVD to the harddrive (to overwrite patch) adding to the time (2 days) already expended just to install a game which obviously did not pass any Quality Assurance standard I could recommend to anyone. I haven't even mentioned all the other people I know and have heard of, also having the same problems.

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Their reply thus far:

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 72 business hours.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL! You must login to our database to update this question or incident by clicking on the link below. Again, please DO NOT REPLY directly to this email.

maztec
11-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Dex, keep in mind that ID released Doom3 as single layer.

Nobody knew the dual-layer issue existed nor what its extent was until this game came out.

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 10:02 PM
I think you have missed my point, sadly. ID Software used a media which is the lowest common denominator for all DVD drives, thereby ensuring a trouble free installation as far as data reads.

maztec
11-13-2004, 03:30 AM
True enough. Oh well. Bit late for that whole discussion, finger pointing, or griping about it at this point in time. With all normal theory, if the hardware had been designed correctly, it should support the media. Unfortunately the manufacturers don't necessarily follow the specs they themselves publish and create.

OneofDex
11-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Dual-layer is a recent technology and any software company respectful of its customers, would be aware of problems with the implementation of new technologies and hence avoid them. The push to force unknowledgeable users into firmware upgrades of their DVD drives can only cause more problems with their hardware as we all know a firmware flash can go awry even in the best of environments.

maztec
11-13-2004, 01:25 PM
DVD's are a recent technology if you want to go by that. Dual Layer DVD's have been around for quite some time - for movies.

Dual Layer data DVD's have been around for about a year and a half, getting closer to two years. It's not all that new and frankly the firmware assumption that a dual layer disc must be a movie - rather than reading the MetaData off of the disc, is a bad one.

OneofDex
11-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Considering my own 26 years in the electronics/computer industry and experience with CPM, Linux, DOS and Windows and the software and networking problems associated and the belief that a forum is "A public facility to meet for open discussion" then I like other forum members realise that the moderators are attempting to mask a poorly market-researched product with obfuscation. I believe many parents will be frustrated by this product come christmas day. I will not buy another Ubisoft or Cyan Worlds product, the total cost is far too high.

maztec
11-14-2004, 02:46 AM
That's nice, thanks for not cluttering the forums I moderate up with your nonsense any further. And have a good day.

Got Chitlins? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OneofDex
11-14-2004, 09:30 PM
By the way the dual layer discs Ubisoft used are more recent than the "movie" discs and the DVD manufacturers have proclaimed the differences, when dual layer writers were becoming available. Those who do not understand call the truth "nonsense"

BodaMae
11-15-2004, 08:53 AM
There's plenty of us out there that feel like OneofDex.
All we wanted was to play the game- to be entertained.
I know more about computers than I want to. And apparently it'll never enough for the computer industry (or Ubi & Cyan).

OneofDex
11-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Thankyou for your support BodaMae. I am humbled. The world would be a better place if Ubisoft and Cyan Worlds performed their promised functions.

OneofDex
11-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Has anyone noticed that the updatelauncher spits the dummy over the 1.02 patch.

maztec
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, Ubi hasn't enabled that yet. Just go download it. :P

OneofDex
11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
And wouldn't the update launcher provided with the game be the first priority, since everyone paid for the feature.

maztec
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Not everybody paid for the update launcher "feature" and in fact it's fairly buried in the options. Plus it doesn't work for Mac.

OneofDex
11-17-2004, 06:39 AM
It's not "buried" in fact it's above Myst IV Revelation. I'll bet the Mac owners are fortunate.

JN_2004
11-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Is there any chance that Ubi will re-engineer an alternative version of the game back to "Exile"-era specs? A CD-ROM alternative version running at lower requirements seems like it would still sell to the millions of us with perfectly good 3 to 6 year old PCs.

Thanks!

wall87
11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't know if this is the right thread to say this but someone has deleted a thread in which I was in. The topic was about how I was experiencing slow animations and such and I can't find it anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

maztec
11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
wall87 .. as far as I know no threads have been deleted here. But I'll check around for you. Maybe it's just off on the second or third page? Check your past posts.

Rev-O
12-01-2004, 01:20 PM
The customer support part of UbiSoft's little website here has left me underwhelmed. I try and play Myst IV, but it aborts everytime I try and start a new game. I search through the support topics, find nothing that helps me, and go to submit a question via email and get a request to log in. Fine, I've registered, so I type in my name and password, and The log in window refreshes and changes from 'welcome guest' to 'Rev-O', meaning (I can only assume) that I am logged in. But that's it. I still have the log in window, with an empty field for user name and password. If I exit out of the window in any way or through any link provided, I immediately become a 'guest' again, and cannot submit my question via email. Or I can endlessly type in my user name and password. It's a nice sisyphean experience, but really is zero help. So I've forked out cash for a game that won't run from a company that has marginal online support. Hey! I know! I can call customer support long distance! I can only imagine what that'd be like.

wall87
12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
wall87 .. as far as I know no threads have been deleted here. But I'll check around for you. Maybe it's just off on the second or third page? Check your past posts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I checked around, can't find it anywhere. Though I did find the thread going through my privous posts thing like you said. The last date I posted was on Novemeber 24th.

thony216
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Grrrrrrr!!!
I recently bought a new computer motherboard CPU, and RAM to replace my getting long-in-the tooth P4 1.7 GHZ machine.
I can't get the &*#@! ethernet working in Linux.
It's a Athlon 3400+ 2.4 GHZ with a Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard with built-in ethernet.
I installed the drivers (in rpm format) that came on the motherboard CD....but Red Hat Fedora Core 1 doesn't recognize the ethernet.
I installed them as root of course. They seem to be installed.......but just aren't working.
It worked fine with my old P4 system and Linksys ethernet card.
I've searched the MFG's websites (Asus and Nvidea)to no avail.
I know there are a few Linux people here, anyone have any ideas?
Next I will have to call the MFG's tech rep.......but that will probably end up being a pain in the butt. So I thought I try here first.

Sorry this is not Myst IV related.....but this is a gripe.

BTW, this ethernet works for both Win 98 and Win XP......which are on the same puter.

Thanks
Anthony

Kate491968
12-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, I want to scream and yell. Received Myst IV for Christmas and couldn't wait to play....can NOT install it. I've read the forum suggestions and tried them all. Written to support....no help. CALLED support.....no help. It freezes when it's time to put the second CD in and NOTHING works!!!!!! I've dragged the icon, hit eject 500 times (yup, I counted) waited 10 min........nothing. Now I quit. Five days of frustration is enough. And I will NOT buy Ubisoft products again. I have a Mac 10.2.8 and everything else works like a charm. I don't need this stress. Thanks for letting me vent!

Takua-Kaita-600
01-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Why Ubi? Why? Why did you HAVE to make it only for dvd drives? why? did it ever occur to you some people don't HAVE dvd drives?! And all the problems that have come out as a result...I can't run the stupid program!! I can't even INSTALL the stupid program!! I get a gosh-darn BSOD!!

OK I'm done. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now, allow me to (A) contradict myself, and (B) cool down the argument by doing so.

-putting it on the dvd makes it quicker to run
-putting it as a dvd prevents having to switch between millions of disks every time you get to a new age.
-i DO have a dvd drive. :P
-It's NOT a stupid program. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

zogli
01-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Myst4 has the dumbest installer I have ever seen. Basically, I can't install it on my Mac (OSX10.3.7). I want to install it on another partition because the boot partition is getting full. The programmers clearly have programmed the installation location as if the computer is a PC. Gents, this is a Mac. And I choose to install Myst4 on another empty volume because the boot volume has not enough room. Treating me like a Windows person, I'm expected to type in a directory to install the game to. As A Maccer, I have never in all my long experience as a Mac user been asked to do this dumb thing before. So I type in the drivename/foldername and click next, select the full install €" there's 20gigs of space there, and the installer comes back with 'an additional 1576MB of disk space is needed'. This stupid installer is clearly still choosing to install on my boot volume against my express wishes. In 21 years of installing software on Macs, I have never ever seen such crass stupidity in a Mac software installer. I cannot install Myst4 on my Mac. Flaming ridiculous.

Will someone please tell me what I must type in the pathname field? I expect I should type the name of the hard drive, one of these / and then the name of the folder I put that installer icon in which I got from the DVD. Flaming ridiculous. Hey programmers, I bought Myst4 for Mac not Myst4 for Windows. I dunno anything about Windows and pathnames and such crass stuff.

BigBears2
01-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Being a retired electronic tech I pride myself on having the best custom computer. Also being a BIG Myst fan I couldn't wait to have the next Myst game to add to my collection. I had no fear about the purchace because UBI games always ran for me without downloading anything. So when Myst Revelation became available and I had the money I jumped at the chance to buy it. For the first time I came to your site and seeing the deal to replace my CD-rom version of the old ones with the DVD versions I joined and ordered right away. I recieved my order in good time and having a large hard-drive began my myst journey with the first. Then the second one and the third one which all installed and played ok.

Then I put Myst Revelation in and began the installation. Disk one went in without a hitch and I put in disk two. That's where it all came to a crashing stop and the fun ended. I have tried everything and double and triple checked everything. I even went to the forums to seek a answer while I wait on tech support to get back to me(which I have as much faith in as I do Kool-aid holy water). I tried and checked everything everyone there has suggested but still can't load disk #2 or access anything in it's sub directories.

Why isn't any of these problems listed in the Q and A part of tech support for the game? Why all the denial? Though good practice would have been to put a list of DVD drives on the box. It would be nice to find a list of good DVD drives on the tech Q and A pages for the game. It would also been nice to see a list of blacklisted programs that cause problems with the games installation or play. Mistakes upset people but denial and bad practices anger people. Just ask the basicaly defunct Sierra how angering your customer base effects sales. They had the industry by the harry eggs and through a few bad moves killed themselves.

It has been said that there was no whay to forsee all this. That is true but what happeneds from here can be a good or bad thing. Being we have bought the game you have at your disposal thousands of people with different computers now. Most of which have the time to give you our undivided attention to help you find an answer. I have even seen a moderator in the forums that has the same DVD unit I do and his worked and mine does not. Talk about a good chance to compare why there is a problem.

In closing just let me say that if you don't fix this problem I won't be buying anymore UBI products including the Final Myst.

BigBears2
01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Who was the crazy person that decided to have the UBI site tech support separate from the UBISTORE tech site? God I could just screeeeeeeeeaaaam! I just spent since last friday talking to the wrong people to get an RA number for a replacement! If they can't access the UBI tech support file or don't except they said it was defective I'll have to jump through the same hoops all over again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Elspet
02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I still can't get Revelation to run.

I don't need to snipe at anyone or make any comments, constructive or otherwise.

I just need to SCREAM:

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHH!!!!!

AIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I WANT TO PLAY MY GAME!!!!!!!!!!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Okay. I feel a little better now. \

mcshea1958
03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I have two computers. No luck. How do I get a refund?

hogarth...
03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Very strange stuff, this software. I have installed Myst IV - and run it - on my Powerbook G4, my WindowsXP laptop, and my Windows2000 desktop. It really only runs well on the Win2K desktop, since that's the only machine with an nVidia chipset (you GO, nVidia!).

I have wanted to scream at times, but that's mostly because I think the game itself is sort of sucky. It has never given me trouble during install.

Still, it seems Ubisoft gave less than full thought to potential issues with its copy protection scheme, to judge from many posts here.

As some of you who know me from the Uru fora will know, I harbor few warm and squishy feelings towards Ubisoft. This release hasn't changed anything in that regard.

In short...poopies on Ubi.

dieisler
01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I also have trouble with Myst IV. I was disappointed with the fact that it was only available on dvd but I bought the game and then bought and installed a dvd player. No problem. I installed my game and played it one night - no problem here either. But when I quit the game for the evening, I was advised to download the latest version of my nvidia driver, so I did this. Since then, I haven't been able to play the game. I googled the error and found advice for how to deal with the error (posted by a moderator of this website) and spent the next day following their advice. I went to the ubisoft support website and, as they advised, checked to make sure I had all the up to date drivers, versions of directx etc, scanned my computer for viruses, uninstalled, reinstalled direct x 9.0c, game software, you name it with the firewall off and restarts in between. I was very thorough before I asked for help (i.e. 10 hours in front of my computer). Finally when I couldn't get anything to work, I emailed ubisoft technical support with the error message, my hardware profile (the info they request) and the troubleshooting work I did- as well as a request for them to read what I did so they wouldn't just fire off a form email - I got back a form email telling me to do what I already did! Okay, I realize no one is going to believe that a customer is telling the truth about actually doing what they ask before contacting support so, just for fun, I did everything again, and then replied saying such and that the problem wasn't solved. I specifically said that it was when I installed the new driver for my video card (yes, I've check that it's supported by the software) that the problem began. As an experiment, I uninstalled my nvidia drivers and reinstalled from the driver installation cd that came with my dell computer. At this point I still got an error message when I started the game. I informed tech support of this, thinking that the more info I can give them, the easier it will be for them to help me solve the problem. After all, everything on my system is compatible, according to ubisoft's specifications. In fact with the drivers that came installed with my computer, all my direct x tests pass (whereas the acceleration test failed with the nvidia updated driver). I told tech support this and the rep asked me for a couple of files describing my drivers. He had been informed by me that I uninstalled my nvidia driver update so what is his advice? He gives me a pat answer and tells me the same first tier advice "update your direct x and nvidia drivers" !!! Clearly, all the info I'm giving this guy is not being read or, most likely, he doesn't know what he's doing and won't say so. So, I very nicely point out that everything he's told me to do has already been shown NOT to work and that I think the problem may be something more complex (registry setting, dll?) and that I would like him to refer me to someone with more experience. I hear NOTHING back but get an email a few days later from ubisoft telling me that, unless they hear from me, they consider the problem solved. I email back saying the problem is still NOT SOLVED!!! I hear nothing back from Jason but I get another form email saying that unless ubisoft tech support hears back from me they consider the problem solved. I respond again saying the problem is still not solved. (See a pattern here: the belief that if you keep trying the same thing over and over again, the outcome will be different?. The last "unless we hear back from you we consider your problem solved" message was sent on Dec 26 (a stat holiday!) so by the time I got it (being on vacation) the 48 hr time period to respond has passed. I want to complain to customer service but I can't find customer service on ubisoft's website ??? I think what's going on here is that someone who is likely a junior tech rep is over his head but doesn't want to refer the problem to someone more experienced in the tech support group but is trying to discourage me from seeking help to avoid having to deal with something he doesn't know how to. Whatever the reason, I'm really disappointed in the company and, despite the fact that I think their programmers are top notch, by all appearances, the tech support group needs some serious training. You can see how frustrated I am with this whole experience by the fact that I'm spending an hour sitting here typing to no one in particular, hoping someone at the company will be concerned enough about their public image to respond to a customer who's purchased several ubisoft games.

nanoukmetal
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Suggestion,

From past experiences, I would say only Heimdall G will really be able to help you on this.

First, I would suggest you try "Installing NVIDIA Drivers" re: Myst 4, in one of Heimdall's post...click here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/580100736/m/8721080493)

If that does not help you, I would suggest you make a new post in the Technical forum (same location as here) and I am sure Heimdall will be able to help you.

Good luck, and by the way, welcome to our forums.
Cheers.

Heimdall_G
01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
dieisler,

If correctly installing the proper driver for your video chipset doesn't help, please post a DxDiag report in a *new* topic in this Forum. See [Posting Guidelines] Help! I'm Having Technical Problems and I Don't Know Why!?! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=1291074922) under To post a DxDiag report for a how-to. Run all of the graphics and sound tests you can before saving the report to a file, and post all of the file. If the exact model number of your Dell isn't shown under 'System Information', System Model at the top of the report, also include that information in your post.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Heimdall
Semper ubi sub ubi.

bhewett
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
I couldn't install Myst 4 on my laptop so I searched and found this site looking for answers and found out that it is not compatible.

I now have been fortunate enough to have managed to install it on my desktop PC after some disk errors but the mouse is impossible to manage. It moves erratically and I cannot make any fine movements with the cursor, which will make it impossible to play. Also the video portions are very choppy and out of sync with the sound. So I came back to this forum and started looking around again. I have never seem so many problems and extensive "possible" solutions just to play a game. I do not plan to spend hours and $ trying to fix my system to play this game.

After looking through YEARS of problems being posted here and noting that on the Ubisoft website the only support offered is a patch, I am amazed and dismayed. I am totally amazed at the time that volunteers have spent trying to help people. There would be NO help without them so thank you very much for trying.

What a wonderful game this must be for those people who were able to play it without the headache of solving problem after problem. I will try updating drivers and turning off background apps and processes, turning off my internet and virus protection, but beyond that I will be DONE trying to play this game. What a shame, I was so looking forward to playing it after enjoying the previous 3 Myst games.

nanoukmetal
06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi bhewett,

Welcome to the Myst 4 forums.

Have a look a the post just above yours and copy a "dxdiag" report" for Heimdall to have a look at your pc. I am certain that there is a strong possibility that Heimdall will do his best to find a solution.

I would also suggest you start your own/new thread to make it easier for Heimdall G.

Good luck.

bhewett
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you, nanoukmetal.

jellosheriff
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I asked for this game for Xmas YEARS ago.
The dual layer disk #2 was incompatible with my system, so I bought an external drive that also would not allow this game to install.
Now I have a laptop that reads dual layer, but it has Vista on it. Again, I'm S-O-L as far as this stupid game goes.
You'd think there would be a free download available for those of us who cannot get the stupid game to run. I think it's ridiculous that I cannot play it, but I cannot return it either. I have not and will not buy another product from this company until I get what we paid for already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

LynComeLately
01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
The volunteer tech help here - known as Heimdall G - is a wizard.

I suggest being sure that you've followed his step by step directions in the thread titled Myst IV: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (use the Vista version). Then post a new thread all your own. Describe your problem step by step and post a dx diag report from your computer. He'll come by and help you sort it out.

nanoukmetal
01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jellosheriff:
I asked for this game for Xmas YEARS ago.
The dual layer disk #2 was incompatible with my system, so I bought an external drive that also would not allow this game to install.
Now I have a laptop that reads dual layer, but it has Vista on it. Again, I'm S-O-L as far as this stupid game goes.
You'd think there would be a free download available for those of us who cannot get the stupid game to run. I think it's ridiculous that I cannot play it, but I cannot return it either. I have not and will not buy another product from this company until I get what we paid for already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Because I beleive you are venting at the wrong site, I strongly suggest you read this post...Be gentle with your comments...click here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/386105941/m/7631016975?r=5561000327#5561000327)