PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest any of you can get the Hellcat to go?



sledgehammer2
01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
According to Francis Deans's "America's Hundred Thousand" the F6F should be able to make 380 mph at 23000 ft in high blower. I tried last night and was only able to get about 260 mph IAS. This was with CEM enabled, high blower, cowl flaps closed, at 23,000 ft on the Okinawa map in perfect weather.

I'm not sure what the difference is on these figures between IAS and TAS, and I know everybody says the Hellcat is undermodelled, but I didn't know it was this far off.

Has anybody else tried this?

sledgehammer2
01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
According to Francis Deans's "America's Hundred Thousand" the F6F should be able to make 380 mph at 23000 ft in high blower. I tried last night and was only able to get about 260 mph IAS. This was with CEM enabled, high blower, cowl flaps closed, at 23,000 ft on the Okinawa map in perfect weather.

I'm not sure what the difference is on these figures between IAS and TAS, and I know everybody says the Hellcat is undermodelled, but I didn't know it was this far off.

Has anybody else tried this?

Art-J
01-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Haven't tried this, since Hellcat is not my favourite ride, but as I can see, You have managed to get quite accurate airspeed!

At the altitude of 23000 ft, 260mph IAS is the equivalent of 370-380mph TAS (depends on how precise converter You use in Your calculations. This one for example, seems to be quite precise tool: http://www.flightplan.za.net/trueAirspeed.php)

One more thing - The "official" benchmark map, with modelled optimal temp and pressure, is the Crimea one. I don't how different the Okinawa map is...

Cheers - Art

P.S. - You're aware, that for tests, You can see TAS displayed in no-cockpit view, aren't You? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sledgehammer2
01-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Art, thanks for the reply! I am happy to see this! It shows my ignorance of the difference between IAS and TAS. I had no idea the difference was so great. I knew it existed but not by this much. And the best part is that the speeds I am attaining in game are close to what should be the case.

mortoma
01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Heck, I can go really fast in it. As a matter of fact, if I climb up to about 5000mts and then dive
straight down, I can get it to go soooooo fast that the wings break off and stuff!!! Somewhere around 800Kph IIRC...........

neural_dream
01-01-2006, 01:12 PM
The Hellcat disintegrates over 820km/h IAS. Source meself and me guide under me sig.

fly_zo
01-01-2006, 01:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
Heck, I can go really fast in it. As a matter of fact, if I climb up to about 5000mts and then dive
straight down, I can get it to go soooooo fast that the wings break off and stuff!!! Somewhere around 800Kph IIRC........... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

mortoma
01-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey, he never said anything about level flight. So that's how fast I can get it to go, period....

Art-J
01-01-2006, 04:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
Art, thanks for the reply! I am happy to see this! It shows my ignorance of the difference between IAS and TAS. I had no idea the difference was so great. I knew it existed but not by this much. And the best part is that the speeds I am attaining in game are close to what should be the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, You're partially right about the difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, IAS and TAS can be similar, but only when You fly close to the ground. The higher You go, the greater the diff is, and up there above 20-something feet, without IAS-to-TAS table, You won't have a **** idea how fast You're REALLY going http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Happy testing!

Cheers - Art

R_Target
01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Anybody had any luck getting the dash five over 320 MPH at sea level on Crimea map?

ImpStarDuece
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
Anybody had any luck getting the dash five over 320 MPH at sea level on Crimea map? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tested the F6F-5 on the Crimea map. N-S run, 100% fuel, radiators closed, 10 m altitude.

Top speed: 521 kph/323.5 mph.

Opie-won
01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
Heck, I can go really fast in it. As a matter of fact, if I climb up to about 5000mts and then dive
straight down, I can get it to go soooooo fast that the wings break off and stuff!!! Somewhere around 800Kph IIRC........... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What mortoma said...I've gotten it as well as alot of other planes to "lawn-dart speed" like that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
01-01-2006, 11:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art-J:
Haven't tried this, since Hellcat is not my favourite ride, but as I can see, You have managed to get quite accurate airspeed!

At the altitude of 23000 ft, 260mph IAS is the equivalent of 370-380mph TAS (depends on how precise converter You use in Your calculations. This one for example, seems to be quite precise tool: http://www.flightplan.za.net/trueAirspeed.php)

One more thing - The "official" benchmark map, with modelled optimal temp and pressure, is the Crimea one. I don't how different the Okinawa map is...

Cheers - Art

P.S. - You're aware, that for tests, You can see TAS displayed in no-cockpit view, aren't You? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats good to know..... thanks....

IL2-chuter
01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to Francis Deans's "America's Hundred Thousand" the F6F should be able to make 380 mph at 23000 ft in high blower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


This was the contract requirement and per contract was at military power (unlike the game).

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ImpStarDuece
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Top speed for F6F-5 at 7000m/22,950 feet:

621 kph/385.5mph

Tested on Crimea map, noon, N-S run, rads closed, full fuel, 3rd stage blower, auto PP.