PDA

View Full Version : Things I wish they had added.

Syclone2007
11-18-2007, 12:56 PM
1. No sunsets or dawns. No night time?
2. No one in the middle east can swim? That is hokie.
3. There are no children in the middle east...none. Did not see a single one the entire game.
4. The "Save Citizen" routine gets old fast.
5. The trailer show 3 crossbow bolts in his quiver..... Where the hell is his crossbow?
6. Enemy moves through the memory walls to avoid attacks.... cheezy.
7. The combat system could offer more. I played the big fight with the head of the Templars with one hand eating pizza with my other.
8. You should take more damage from falling. Makes it too easy.
9. Guards in full armor can run and jump just as good as you..... Of course the armor does not seem to provide any protection either so it is just to look pretty.

All that said.

The engine is very impressive. No problems/glitches what so ever. Lots of eye candy and great grphics. Visually the game is almost as good as Gears of War (IMHO).

The easedrop/pickpocket/interogate system gets old fast..... need more variety.... kind of like the "save citizen" events.

Does picking up flags actually do anything? Does it add anything to the game? I blew through the game so fast I did not pick-up but a couple. Not sure I see the point.

I hope the engine get used in some other games. The ability to climb to a tower with a sniper rifle is something no other game is offering. Adding some of these features to GRAW would make on-line play pretty trick.

Why is it Altiar can climb smooth walls with easy but can not climb the cliffs out side the towns. The cliff would be much easier to climb.

Strong eye candy... smooth engine... Weak story line..... redundent combat/missions... no depth.

Syclone2007
11-18-2007, 12:56 PM
3. There are no children in the middle east...none. Did not see a single one the entire game.
5. The trailer show 3 crossbow bolts in his quiver..... Where the hell is his crossbow?
7. The combat system could offer more. I played the big fight with the head of the Templars with one hand eating pizza with my other.
9. Guards in full armor can run and jump just as good as you..... Of course the armor does not seem to provide any protection either so it is just to look pretty.

All that said.

The engine is very impressive. No problems/glitches what so ever. Lots of eye candy and great grphics. Visually the game is almost as good as Gears of War (IMHO).

The easedrop/pickpocket/interogate system gets old fast..... need more variety.... kind of like the "save citizen" events.

Does picking up flags actually do anything? Does it add anything to the game? I blew through the game so fast I did not pick-up but a couple. Not sure I see the point.

I hope the engine get used in some other games. The ability to climb to a tower with a sniper rifle is something no other game is offering. Adding some of these features to GRAW would make on-line play pretty trick.

Why is it Altiar can climb smooth walls with easy but can not climb the cliffs out side the towns. The cliff would be much easier to climb.

Strong eye candy... smooth engine... Weak story line..... redundent combat/missions... no depth.

AltairBear
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
WEAK STORYLINE?! LOL! You lost all cred there sorry...

My complaints:
-Repetitive side missions. Really Repetitive.
-Ugly Glow around nearby enemies, they need to change that.
-Everyone is Altair. I once saw a Nun Woman jump up onto a pillar jump onto a peice of a home then sprint and jump to the other house, she kept doing it over and over...lol. Weird. And the guards are way to nimble. I think they should figure out another way to get to Altair.
-There should be more of an incentive to run after an assassination. I usually just stay and kill everyone.
-Hidden Blade is to powerful in combat. Its a one hit counter to any enemy or boss in the game. The final boss I just countered with the hidden blade and killed him in one hit.
-MAKE the pick up flags worth more then just for achievements. Maybe adds to Altairs skills? Speed ect?

Zikro
11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree there is a lot of repetitiveness they could do away with by adding more variety to missions.

As for everyone being Altair, I did notice strange folk who would run around doing acts I thought only I could accomplish. Had a fellow in black robes jump on a fence and walk around the top of it. When I approached him (thinking he was another assassin) he jumped down (10 feet) and ran off. Also saw a few other characters doing this. Unsure if it's a bug but it's pretty interesting.

I'm also curious as to where the crossbow with a blade on it went.

Kariko762
11-18-2007, 01:27 PM
i think they put in the flags as an incentive to explore the place try to get a feeling of where things are in the city.. learn the good hiding spots etc...

other than that...... waste of space.. on the ps3 u dont even get achievments!! so poinltess

Syclone2007
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kariko2006:
i think they put in the flags as an incentive to explore the place try to get a feeling of where things are in the city.. learn the good hiding spots etc...

other than that...... waste of space.. on the ps3 u dont even get achievments!! so poinltess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the point of finding hiding spots? There is no hide ability(except for hay piles and these strange booths that are on the roofs...What is the purpose of these... other a place for assassins to hide.

me-gud-u-bad
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for everyone being Altair, I did notice strange folk who would run around doing acts I thought only I could accomplish. Had a fellow in black robes jump on a fence and walk around the top of it. When I approached him (thinking he was another assassin) he jumped down (10 feet) and ran off. Also saw a few other characters doing this. Unsure if it's a bug but it's pretty interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

omg i noticed that happening alot aswell.

i was being chased and i ran onto a roof and hid inside one of the roof, hiding things, and saw all the guards coming up some ladders nearby.
then all of a sudden a woman with a jar on her head followed them up and started running along the rooftops... and she never let that jar fall off her head, she must have some good balancing skills!

Kaxen6
11-18-2007, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zikro:
I'm also curious as to where the crossbow with a blade on it went. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At that time period, a crossbow took a whole minute to reload and crank up to shoot again. It slowed gameplay down too much and was replaced with throwing knives.

dirtybird21
11-18-2007, 04:28 PM
About other ppl being able 2 free-run...

One of the funniest things i ever saw was i tackled a crazy person into the water @ the docks in Acre.. And another crazy person freaked out and started free running and screaming accross the boats, Faster than any of the guards can also.. So i just started chasing him around the boats and pillars untill he got onto land and assassinated him... lol.

ensangfroid
11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
I completely agree with many of the points brought up.

It would have been awesome if rain made it more difficult to climb/free run, or you could more easily break the line of sight in the dark. However, since they wanted to make the game more about blending into the crowd (something I never really did in the game, because it's just annoying trying to get from one side of the city to the other going that slow with the foot traffic, but that's another thing), there would have been the problem of either having huge crowds of people running around at night, which would have been deemed unrealistic, or having no crowd to hide in.

I personally think they should have added a stealth level of the game; hiding in shadows, alleyways, changing into a guard's uniform. It would have brought a huge amount of replay value to the game. Play it once sidling through the shadows, then again using deception to get close to your target, then play it again killing the person in the middle of the day, in front of a crowd.

Yes, the guards and the civilians all seemed to have the same abilities a trained assassin had. The guards were flying around on the roof-tops like it was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and I thought there were undercover assassins jumping around, too, until I found out they were just random civilians climbing on stuff. An armor feature would have been interesting; Templars and heavily armored guards would fall behind, while the less-armored city guards would be able to run faster. Or something.

I agree with the point that the story line seemed a bit lacking. Unless they develop it further in the future, it was indeed rather weak. I figured the master would betray the guild by the middle of the game (I thought he was actually working with the Templar Knights, but keeping the power for himself still counts as a betrayal). And then it's all explained by Lucy in the middle of the game; that they're actually modern day Templar Knights trying to find out stuff about the Assassins.

Of course, I didn't think it was going to be as much of a cop-out as some magic stone that glowed all shiny and made everyone mind-slaves. The final confrontation was strange, too; the master had Altair in the grips of the magic stone thing, but he would release him to do battle with various enemies...okay. I mean, the ultimate power couldn't have been some sort of military, historical or political knowledge that would somehow help the master conquer the world? It had to be a glowy stone of magic and wonder? I mean, there's a certain amount of poetic license into thinking that DNA has the memory of past ancestors, and there's a Matrix-like machine that reveals them, but then magic mixes with sci-fi, mixes with an attempt at realism, and it's just weird.

I appreciated not instantly dying from falling off a one- or two-story building, since I did it so many times trying to outrun guards; it would have been frustrating dying so many times. Instantly dying when I hit the water was annoying. Even if they didn't want their players to start swimming off into the horizon, they couldn't even just add in a cut-scene of Altair swimming to the shore and getting back on dry land to continue on his quest?

The lack of children did seem odd. I suppose it's because having the option to kill children would have raised the ESRB rating, or at least brought down some heat from the video game violence ranters.

I think they could have done more with the combat system, too. Switching between a variety of weapons mid-battle, and between slashing and fist-fights, or using the agility of jumping around, some type of martial art or something, would have been awesome. It would have allowed for more of a tactical advantage. The combat system got old pretty fast, I suppose as a suggestion to run instead of staying for the fight.

The voice acting on Altair's part was SO BAD! AUGH. You can always tell from the writing that there was supposed to be more emotion, but the voice actor could hardly emote at all. The supporting actors (the guards, most of the assassination victims, et cetera) were good, why couldn't they do better casting for the lead role?

There wasn't much of a penalty for being discovered or alerting the guards. They hardly remembered what you looked like after the reinitialization. You could literally pop out of the hay a second after they forget about you, walk right past them, and they wouldn't even care.

There's probably more I'm missing right now, but those are my main pet peeves. This game was WAY over-hyped; I was actually disappointed. All of this talk like, "When you get hit in the arm, it's more difficult for you to fight," and "You can't alert your presence in the city before your assassination attempt, or they'll recognize you later and thwart your efforts." All of these rumors made it seem like it was the next step in gaming. An adaptive combat system, advanced A.I. It's more of an above-average hack-n-slash.

Sure, there are highlights. The environment is excellently rendered and pretty huge. The climbing system and free running were amazing. The crowd dynamics are awesome, too, and will hopefully pave the way to more realistic crowd-interactions in future gaming.

I think they wasted too much time, money, and effort on the research and trying to make the geography and surroundings as historically accurate as possible. Who really cares? Who even knows if they did that or not? Maybe they just said they did, made it all up, and tried to use it as a marketing scheme? We'd never know, so it shouldn't matter as much as, say, the actual game play. Just make the buildings look like they'd belong in that era and that region, and we couldn't care where this building is where and what it looked like a thousand years ago. What most of us care about (I'm sure only a small minority of us are History majors, and the majority of us just want an awesome game), are the dynamics of the game. Make the combat system challenging, make the artificial intelligence actually intelligent. Make a good game, not a good 3-D lay out of an old city.

As good as initially proposed? No. TEH BEST GAME EVAR? No. There are dozens of games better than this one, in my opinion. A bad game? No, it was still moderately entertaining, I don't feel cheated out of the time I spent playing it, but I honestly don't think it was worth the sixty dollars I paid. I would recommend the game, but only as a rental. I got through it in less than a week, and now I no longer have any use for it. Maybe it'll make a nice table stabler.

/rant.

Skaevola
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Was I the only one that really, REALLY loved the combat system? None of the game seemed repetitive to me because I really loved fighting. I thought eventually it would get old saving citizens, but it never did, because I enjoyed the fighting.

And anyway, I think "a deeper fighting system" is a ridiculous complaint, and one that has been made with every single hack n' slash game. I mean, where are you guys getting your standards? This is by far the deepest sword combat system I've ever seen in any game. What sword-fighting game are you guys playing that makes this one's look weak?

Kaxen6
11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wingf00t:
Was I the only one that really, REALLY loved the combat system? None of the game seemed repetitive to me because I really loved fighting. I thought eventually it would get old saving citizens, but it never did, because I enjoyed the fighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it too. And I think saving citizens is freakishly addictive...

bobbylucifer
11-18-2007, 06:49 PM
@ the people asking about the flags: collecting all of them & killing all teplars is believd to reveal more of the story (which is pretty awesome), I'm working on it atm.

Syclone2007
11-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I think rain and other weather events would have added a nice touch (Gears of War does rain better than any other game). I think some stealth skills would have been nice. A 24 hour clock system with changing lighting... and of course darkness.
Swimming would have been nice... maybe be even the ability to drag a guard into the water and finish him off. To be able to grab the dead body and drag it into hiding would have been a plus.

The fighting system is pretty simple. Cool animation moves, but once you get it down it is pretty easy to slay 20 guards at one time.

As far as the story line goes. They are a few years late on the Templars trying to rule the modern world theme. I guess at the time they started the project they were not too far behind the curve, but by now there have been several books. I need to go back an reread "A Templars Legacy" because I though there were a couple of common themes.

To their credit it is the first game to deal with the Templar theme.

I do not think the game is very "replayable" There is no character development and everything is very redundent. The dialoge is pretty weak, but it is an action game and not ment to be deep.

ensangfroid
11-18-2007, 09:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is by far the deepest sword combat system I've ever seen in any game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not deep or sophisticated. You see a guard coming at you in an attack? Press RT and X, you see a fancy animation, and the guy is dead. The game is pretty much doing it for you through the animations. You don't have to move the joy-stick every which way to control where you're hitting, you automatically react to it (and the other guards that try to surprise you) as long as you keep pressing the same buttons over and over. Sure, you have the combo moves, but they're just as simple: pressing two buttons in sequence. Just button mash and you can defeat literally dozens of guards.

I don't know where you're getting sophistication from just "looking pretty." Sure, it looks awesome, but it's not that enthralling or engaging after you've gone through all five or six animations per weapon. There's little strategy. All guards, Templars, archers, and "bosses" can be killed in the same way, the same technique. There's hardly a difference between the weapons you choose in regard to the situation. It's just pick a weapon and start hacking away until they're all dead. Wow. Deep.

shotty78
11-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't know how there can be so many complaints about this game. For me it was truly amazing. And for all those who say it is not deep, sophisticated you should really pay more attention to detail. That was a major point of this game that it wasn't meant to be run through at warp speed. SPOILERS**** Since your done with the game take awhile and walk around the lab and use eagle vision every now and then to try and decipher all the codes. B/c those items not only reveal many facts about the stroy and game but also where the triology is heading. This game is without a doubt one of a kind and is ushering in a new wave of story-telling and gaming. In 20+ years the Assassin Creed games will be the things of legend.

Syclone2007
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I do not see the depth. By memory block 5 I had a pretty good idea the Master was the real bad guy. The final fight is hokie. The dialoge is average at best. The combat is very simple....pretty with cool animations, but simple.
The engine that allows free running and the graphics/animations are top notch. Teh city scapes are really well done (need changing light conditions and weather conditions).
They did spend some time to come up with some symbolism that is kinda cool, but this whole game has a Di Vinci Code spin off feel to it.

Feynir
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Fall damage
I really agree that it should be harsher, I can just jump off really high rooftops and still survive. I want a reason to climb down a building instead of just jumping off.

Suspicious mode guards
Needs to actually turn informed mode after 1 warning, more like bugfix than addition, but yea they just overlook almost everything, as long as you don't get caught stealing or kill someone.
or
More informed mode guards
There's currently too little, like only 10% out of the whole game? Most of them are found in the kingdom which has wide open spaces and not much need to mingle in the crowd, while those in the city are only found in the last area unlocked to you, and only 1-2 patrols at most, I haven't seen more.

Countering counter-attacks
Currently if a guard counters my attack there's like no way to counter his counter, and it sorta defeats the purpose of attacking first, I'd rather just hold down defense mode and wait for them to attack first so I can counter. Also involves countering counter-grabs when I grab the enemy.

Skip cutscenes
I almost forgot about this, needs an option to skip cutscenes you've seen already, especially when you're replaying old missions, there's no way to skip the cutscenes and have to watch them over.

Blend ability
I've heard people complain that it's overpowered, however I think it is useless. I never had the need to blend, informed mode guards can be safely passed by as long as you don't step too close. I barely used the skill, not even for stealth assassinations. Needs to be made into something more useful.

I love the game but these little issues are kinda bugging me, some even game breaking, like the suspicious guard.

BorrisDream
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
-Night Time
-Crouching
-Difficulty settings like in most games
-More ways to assassinate the target!
-Rogue Assassins that are constantly out to get you during the game (that would've been sweet)
-Different variety of side quests (all of the side quests are the same and do not change)
-Add more things to do in the game besides find flags!
-More music during the game! (yes, there was music but not as much as I would like)
-Altair's ability to survive in water
-More weapons
-My own trusty steed who is smarter than other horses like in Zorro

*spoilers*

Things I wish they did? I really wished they hadn't included a future aspect to this game with the whole animus thing. The whole idea of the game not actually taking place in the 12th century blows. The idea of the game now proceeding into modern day maybe blows even more. I wish they had kept the game in the past and proceeding further into history...13th century and beyond... the thought of fighting as Desmond and not Altair with guns instead of swords just ruins it for me. I hope they keep the story setting in the past...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I kinda wish they had put in some form of branching plotline or a meaningful morality mechanic like in KotOR where your actions led you down alternate paths. But it's a minor criticism - I must admit I'm just enjoying the heck out of this game.

Sevryn08
11-19-2007, 03:43 PM
A HA! borrisdream u are wrong about something. try holding a and right trigger, w/o moving, BAM ur crouching. hold a and repeatedly press RT, and ur teabagging! hold RT and press a and u jump straight up! lol ta dahhhh

p.s. i only brought this up to teabag

EDIT: p.p.s. to feynir, you can counter-counter, just press dodge and BAM you can combo their face in

Vartec
11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
i agree, the game did get a bit repetitive in the investigations, especially around ****** SMALL SPOILER**** memory block 4 but i found as soon as i got to memory block 5 and finaly unlocked the last part of acre and demascus****SPOILER END**** that the game got more exciting as you need to be more carefull in what you do or you get swamped by guards

BorrisDream
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Want a cookie? I already knew that. What I meant was a crouching mode like in splinter cell to do a kill. Not constantly having to run & crouch. I do appreciate the attempt of trying to correct me though...

Feynir
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">EDIT: p.p.s. to feynir, you can counter-counter, just press dodge and BAM you can combo their face in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean countering when the guard dodges THEN attacks you, that's easy to do.

I mean countering when the guard deflects your attack and counters. You'll be able to differentiate it when the screen flashes red as soon as the guard deflects your attack, which is the game telling you, you've taken damage.

I've tried counter-attacking/grabbing and dodging when this happens, they all don't seem to work when the guard counter-attacks. Likewise when I counter-attack guard's attacks, they are unable to counter back even on bosses, so I'm pretty sure counter-attacks are 100% hit rate.

grantryne
11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
ya why cant i climb buildings faster? i mean if your beeing chased and your trying to escape, y cant i cilb at twice the speed and have it be sloppy. also, could you add a little rpg elements? like changing altair's armor, and instead of picpoceting knives, how about you get money wich you can use to buy new weapons, or customizing your current weapons. like how your sword looks, what kind of sword it is, how much damage it can do, ect. also another type of optional mission besides save the citisen, like an optional assasination mission? also the AI sucks in this game, how come when i get pushed by a crazy person, the guards come after me? also can i blend in another way besides just a monk? like pretending to b a knight, we do look a lot alike.

still it is a great game. cant wait for a sequal/new downloadable content over psn/xbox live

acfan2007
11-19-2007, 09:13 PM
My only gripe with the game is that it is way to repetitive. I'm almost done with the storyline and I understand the idea. Now, I'm hearing the ending is a letdown and a cliffhanger..which I knew would be because the game is the beginning of a trilogy, but that makes me not even want to finish it.

They could of let Altair learn new counter moves. Fighting is fun for the first few hours. Then, just like the investigation stuff, it gets dull.

The best thing about AC imo, is every little detail they added to cut scenes, the cities, and the people. Other than that, everything is FAR to repetitive for my taste.

I'm done with it, I'm hopeful for AC 2 though, because this was a good start. I'll be picking up Mass Effect tomorrow so it should lift spirits a bit after being slightly let down by Assassin's.

The_Assassin05
11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Now remeber, night in the game wouldn't really follow through. You are an assassin, your actions take place in public areas. Altair doesn't use the darkness or even shadows to remain unseen. The ability to "blend" into a group of monks is one of his means of staying unseen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ensangfroid
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Assassin05:
Now remeber, night in the game wouldn't really follow through. You are an assassin, your actions take place in public areas. Altair doesn't use the darkness or even shadows to remain unseen. The ability to "blend" into a group of monks is one of his means of staying unseen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, but it would have been nice to have OPTIONS. To have different styles of game play. To have a different experience every time.

Sure you could have the social stealth option, but why not hiding the dark and shadows, too? And deception? (pretending to be a guard, a messenger, an ally) There could be three or four different ways to kill a person, as opposed to one: listening to a lengthy lecture, running up, killing them, running away (or fighting, which was terrible). Nine times. FUN!

Night could have brought bonuses. You could more easily break the line of sight, and perhaps the guards would fall or trip when they're running after you. They same effect could have happened in rain; your free running suffers, but so does everyone else's. Something else you could use to your advantage, if used correctly.

I don't think they needed to add more counter moves; they needed to add a different fighting system. Just press two buttons and you can kill a hundred men. There's no strategy. All men are killed the same way: Templars, guards, the "boss." Same weapons, same combos work on all of them. As far as I've tried, you can't even switch weapons mid-fight unless you sheathe one and then unsheathe the other ("Time out, guys, I have to change weapons. Hold on. This'll take a moment. Okay, go."). You can't combo with fist fighting or two different weapons. There are only THREE weapons, anyway! You don't even have to really direct Altair around; he reacts automatically as long as someone is nearby. All you have to do is press two little buttons, and then you're treated with a fancy animation as the game kills for you.

colt122
11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
man i hate people who think other people care about what there opinions are about another game
STFU Plez N0oBS!!!!11!!!1!!!

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ensangfroid:
...same effect could have happened in rain; your free running suffers, but so does everyone else's. Something else you could use to your advantage, if used correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno. Sounds needlessly complex to me. If environmental factors like rain have the same effect on you as on your pursuers what's the point? All it does is slow the game down. I'm all for realism and detail in games, but only if it improves gameplay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think they needed to add more counter moves; they needed to add a different fighting system. Just press two buttons and you can kill a hundred men. There's no strategy. All men are killed the same way: Templars, guards, the "boss." Same weapons, same combos work on all of them... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it seems to me that the alternative is to have different combos that work on different NPCs. That would get really frustrating really fast. All of a sudden the moves you've been using don't work - at all - anymore? Also, rather than having three main moves we'd have to learn nine or more? I think that would be a recipe for disaster in terms of the game's popularity. The term "overly complicated" doesn't even begin to describe it! Sure, those who play games 24/7 might enjoy it, but they would be the only ones. The rest of us would probably end up smashing the disc with a sledge hammer and vowing never to buy another Ubisoft game.

ensangfroid
11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
You bring up good points. Like, why were the guards expert free runners, capable of keeping up with a trained assassin anyway? The rain or darkness would have made an excellent way to contrast the abilities between an expert and the novices that are (or should be) the city watch. But that's just poor programing on their part (copying and pasting Altair's abilities to the guards instead of designing new ones).

Also, it wouldn't be the first time there have been difficult combo moves in a video game. Fighting games as far back as Mortal Kombat in the nineties have had crazy combo moves only the pros can master: but anyone else can still pick up and play it. They just play it more simply, sticking to punching and kicking (or in this case, the simpler combos and hacking and slashing).

It wouldn't be that frustrating. That feeling in your head would actually be your brain working. It would be making the connection, "Oh, I'm fighting a Templar, a warrior who is far more skilled than a watchman. It would be easier for me to use my more complex moves (or longer sword for better reach, or short sword for agility, or whatever) against them." Sure, you could use simple moves, and it would take a little longer (like it does now; the only difference between Templars and guards is that they just have more health), but other people could have the more complicated experience they want.

I'm not an avid gamer. I just expect more than a pretty building simulation when I pay sixty dollars on a game.

BlackRabbit
11-20-2007, 01:55 AM
I take offense Good Sir!

Weak Storyline?... Really?

The storyline is Epic. It's all kinds of Epic. And I should know, I read books. Lots of books.

After the sunset
Day/Night: They probably didn't include night because it'd make gameplay a little harder. And possibly frustrating. For realism night could be cool...but I like to see what I'm doing and how I'm killing.

A dip in the pool...
Yeah the swimming thing is a bummer. But the water doesn't come up all that much except in Acre. (and a aqua-duct in Jerusalem I think.) But jumping ship to ship is fun.
Also think about it some random dude swimming in the harbor decked out with weapons is going to attract attention. and then how do you "ditch" when you're stuck in water?

Granted these things could be worked around, but I'm just saying..there' are reasons these things aren't in the game.

Run little children, run!
Children...that's a bit of a taboo in these "sandbox" games. How would the media, or god forbid, Jack F*cking Thompson react to a game in which you can run around assassinating children?
It wouldn't be pretty. and Ubisoft doesn't need that ****.

Help me help me!
Saving The Citizen is actually the only thing that doesn't get old for me personally. The others though...

Bows and Arrows, Patwing!
Ah yes, the crossbow. Now I don't know if Ubisoft actually did the research, but the Assassin sect this is based off of, in reality despised the use of bows and arrows along with poison in order to kill a target.
They did **** up close and personal. It's a fact. ("the more you know")

Memory Walls...
I'm okay with the memory wall thing as is...I mean how often are you really fighting near one? and besides the guards can come back.
It would bring up a whole mess of problems to try and make it impenetrable by guards. Because then it would be so with citizens as well, and that'd just look stupid.
Besides, it makes sense within context of the game. It's a memory, the wall is there because (along with it's practical purposes) Altair did not go there yet.

Combat...Touche`! Engarde`!
I actually really liked the combat system, simple and sweet, very cinematic. Oblivion combat for example is dead boring, Assassin's Creed combat is not only entertaining to do (minigame-ish) but to me it never feels like a chore and you see him do things as though it were a film. That's personal taste I suppose.

Falling from high...
Now that's an interesting thing, the damage-falling ration. If you recall within the context of the game it is not "health" it's sync.
Given that gaging what depletes "sync" is completely fiction there's no way to say what should be what.
As far as gameplay goes, you're doing a lot of climbing and ****, and if you're new to the game, how frustrated would you be if you kept falling off and dying?
I'd say the "damage" is within reason, though I wouldn't mind it being turned up a little.

In regards to Guards...
No guard is ever really wearing "full armor" the most their is is a plate helmet and chain-mail.

Chain-mail is heavy. As far as that issue goes I'd say it'd be cool if they made the guards able to follow you , as they can now... (otherwise it'd be way to easy, to escape.) but have them do so a bit clumsy-er, or slower.

There's my take.

ensangfroid
11-20-2007, 02:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The storyline is Epic. It's all kinds of Epic. And I should know, I read books. Lots of books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm quite capable of reading, myself, and I know cliche when I see it. The story in a nut shell: Mean guy wants magic thingy to rule the world. Where HAVEN'T I see this one? I suppose world politics and military strategies, coups and wars would have been too boring. Let's just have it all be over a couple of pretty, shiny magic things and call it a day. Because it's original when it's in the Middle East.

Also, it's a bit hypocritical of you to use the excuse that "it's only fiction" for some things and "that's how it is in real life" for others. If the real-life version of whatever your game is based on isn't as entertaining, don't stick it (or omit it) in/from the game and then use that excuse to answer the collective "Whhyy??" from your consumers when you, for whatever reason, didn't want to expand the gameplay.

BlackRabbit
11-20-2007, 02:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ensangfroid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The storyline is Epic. It's all kinds of Epic. And I should know, I read books. Lots of books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm quite capable of reading, myself, and I know cliche when I see it. The story in a nut shell: Mean guy wants magic thingy to rule the world. Where HAVEN'T I see this one? I suppose world politics and military strategies, coups and wars would have been too boring. Let's just have it all be over a couple of pretty, shiny magic things and call it a day. Because it's original when it's in the Middle East.

Also, it's a bit hypocritical of you to use the excuse that "it's only fiction" for some things and "that's how it is in real life" for others. If the real-life version of whatever your game is based on isn't as entertaining, don't stick it (or omit it) in/from the game and then use that excuse to answer the collective "Whhyy??" from your consumers when you, for whatever reason, didn't want to expand the gameplay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Altair plot was pretty much archetypal, yeah.
In fact the only variation between it and any fantasy story was the lines of philosophy one could glean from it. Which were gleaned very heartily.

But the main "plot" isn't the one taking place in the Genetic memory (it's all memory after all.) And perhaps I didn't make it clear what I was referring to.
I'll restate it...

The story-line isn't about Altair. It's about Desmond. Granted they're both protagonists, but in the long run Desmond will undoubtedly be the main character. It is in Desmond's world that all of the intrigue and story telling worth paying attention to takes place. The plot unveiling about conspiracies, cover-ups, references to real life events, the current state of the world in 2012 it's all good stuff.

It's not exactly spoon-fed like most videogame story-lines are, but it's distinctly there, and worth getting into.

-

As far as the other stuff goes, it's a genre called "Historical fiction" A fictional story that takes place in a real event. (Which by itself is a contradiction, as you've pointed out.)
But that's what it is.

Besides that, how would you explain a paradox without another paradox?
Just the way this genre is, fictional liberties are taken on things (e.g. Hidden Blade, plot.) But it's all based on real events, and real factions. It's simply a part of the genre to try and stay true to reality as much as possible. without compromising entertainment.

Bobzer77
11-20-2007, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grantryne:
ya why cant i climb buildings faster? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What do you mean, you obviousley have never done parkour or for that matter you probrally havent ever climbed a tree, your not going to climb up a wall in 2 seconds!!!

Also People are complaining about no day/night cycle, when a day or night cycle wouldnt make sense, Altair is a human being, meaning he needs sleep, thats why it fast forwards in the assassins buro.

Nomad_soul
11-20-2007, 04:48 AM
1) Would have liked to see more rides, For example CAMELS
2) Would have liked to have the ability to climb trees & run on peoples(crowds) shoulders or heads when escaping
3)Would have liked levels with indoor access (more)
4) Would have liked crowds to go against Altair when he commits murder. Maybe grab him like they do the guards or taunt him which alerts more guards.
5) Have co-op play online integrated somehow (have an accomplice) ...
6) Be able to climb the castle in Mysef (Assassin Headquarters)
7) Be able to assassinate targets by jumping off a horse(not sure if it can be done already), maybe when going through cities
8) Be able to injure targets to cause them to limp, or not use an arm etc
9) Make enemies stronger so you have no choice but to free run and hide (too many guards or stronger guards etc). Currently it is easier to simply kill the guards rather than making a run for it.(need an incentive).
10) Have convoys of people in areas of the kingdom with goods and human stall movers (like rickshaws but moving merchant goods) or chariots etc.
11) Have more animals in the game such as goats and sheep or any others which fit in to the setting of the game. This will also mean there will be shepherds and other NPC's present.
12)Have more missions & also show their location on the GPS as you walk though the cities rather than displaying them on the map.

I have more but I'll have to post them some other time. Really hope UBISOFT could implement these in an update or add-on or something along with some of the other users ideas.

midna1
11-20-2007, 05:23 AM
You need a proper day-night cycle with the transition in gameplay between them. Just copy the gameplay from thief deadly shadows. Er yeah and stealing stuff or buying items would be great. And a free Jade Raymond poster. And proper horse controls like SotC with Agro.

Chiefslaughter
11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
I kind of wish there were button press sequences for the animation kills... Like the one where Altair stabs the guy in the foot then slashes hes throat with the shortsword: RT+X initiates the sequence, then X to block his attack at the right momement, X to stab him and X for the slash. There could be other buttons, I just used X.

-Chief

rogue_tom
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
1) The assassination should be far more involved. For an assassin game there really isn't much thought into how you're going to kill the target. Compaired to hitman it's rubbish.

A) The targets should have a life, they should move around the city. Sleep, eat, drink, meet people (allow player to ease drop). Devs have a great asset of creating these cities but don't use it for the main gameplay(assassinations), Why?

B) Day / night. I know this is a social stealth game but there is a need to add light/dark stealth to an assassins game. Surely they could add this to there building blocks that they used to create the game.

C) If the targets could moves around the city this would give a reason for the investigations, which sounds to me like the original idea. The investigations are repetative because they give no benifit to the gameplay.

2) Social stealth: Hitmans use of social stealth is much the same, costumes. What makes hitman alot more enjoyable is there varied use of costumes. All ac uses is munks (press a button and you're done) or blend which also dull as you only use one button. The player is infront of his target before he knows it. Add varied ways to get past guards.

A) Allow the player to use guards to escort them past other guards. The player would find a guard alone (special guard for this purpose) punch him a few times, just like the intimidaiton investagtions they talk, then altair puts a knife to his back and can control himself and the guard past other guards then the player would kill the guard when there past.

B) The messenger: while doing your investigation you find out that the targets wife is expecting a letter, You kill the real messenger and steal his documents that show he is allowed into the castles (or where ever).

Multiple different types of these should be added to each target to give alot of replay value.

3) Layout: Add alot more obstacles, This is why i think ignoring hiding / dark / light is a bad idea. Guards should normally attack a man dressed in weapons. This would give the free running a reason. The social stealth should be there for some mission but not all, i don't feel it's fun enough for a whole second game.

3a) Free running: For the most part all you do is run on walls and roof tops. More should be done inside buildings to give more multiple, liniar appouches to the target. ie original splinter cell stuff.

-Spoiler -

4) story. I like the future element. I hope the artifact turn out to be alien tho, the idea there magical stuff ruins it for me. It might have been better if we found out the future stuff later in the game. They should have played on it a bit more.

Each part of the story felt very segmented. I never felt each part was rewarding enough and i didn't like the way the game would fast forward to different memories.

Assasinations: They should have more ways to kill the targets, poision, accidents, throwing knives, etc and make it harder to get up close and kill with the hidden blade. This way you would have to play well to be rewarded with a cutscene.

Steelhandchun
11-20-2007, 09:42 AM
I dont agree with the stealing stuff and buying stuff, your an assassin not a thief and what items would you buy, magical heatlh potions?

maddog111
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
they just forget to put kids and night time and clothing and swimming and...Resturants!

Chay216
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
What's with you sick people wanting children in the game? Is killing bums, women, and the mentally ******ed not enough?

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> blew through the game so fast I did not pick-up but a couple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lost me there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Weak story line </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lost all credablity there.

ensangfroid
11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlackRabbit:
But the main "plot" isn't the one taking place in the Genetic memory (it's all memory after all.) And perhaps I didn't make it clear what I was referring to.

-

As far as the other stuff goes, it's a genre called "Historical fiction" A fictional story that takes place in a real event. (Which by itself is a contradiction, as you've pointed out.)
But that's what it is.

Besides that, how would you explain a paradox without another paradox?
Just the way this genre is, fictional liberties are taken on things (e.g. Hidden Blade, plot.) But it's all based on real events, and real factions. It's simply a part of the genre to try and stay true to reality as much as possible. without compromising entertainment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprise! That's still the story, redux, in the future. Mean guy wants shiny magic things to rule the world. Once with Al Mu'allim and again with Vidic (or his boss, if he has one).

Also, it's so loosely based on history, they shouldn't have even bothered trying to market it as such. It's based on a real place, and it features people who previously existed, but it hardly fits the "historical" qualification of "historical fiction." If you have a story about Napoleon Bonaparte but instead make him a warrior out of 300, who goes around slaughtering the kings and czars of Eurasia (hey, they actually existed, so it's historical!), you can't then argue that they couldn't give him the ability to shoot lightning from his hands because they were trying to fit in with the history behind the story.

Sure, having Altair shooting lightning would ruin the atmosphere, but giving him a cross bow? Or having him skulk around in the shadows? You can argue (with the volumes and volumes of written information we have from that time period to base it on [not]) that they didn't go around in the shadows sneak-killing their victims, but they didn't having shining balls of magic to brain wash people, they didn't have guards trained to run around on roof tops, and there are many other inconsistencies (scholars and citizens willing to put their lives in jeopardy to help assassins, guards not noticing an obviously armed figure stalking around in the crowd, or really caring that some guy is scaling walls ["Hey, get down from there..." Of course, it isn't very suspicious when EVERYONE ELSE can climb walls and scale buildings, too]).

My point is it's annoying when they say, "Well, we didn't put in the night/darkness stealth system or a crossbow because they didn't do that back then" when they take so many other liberties with the game. It wouldn't ruin the setting, and it's just as much a liberty as everything else they've done. It's obviously just sloth or avarice to avoid putting in the extra effort to make a more varied game play experience.

Rogue_tom: You've read my mind, on every point.

BorrisDream
11-21-2007, 02:01 AM
^^^^^^^I agree with you totally^^^^^^^

I had fun playing the game, but I think overall the game itself was unsatisfying.

*Spoilers*

My biggest complaint with the game was with its story/gameplay.

I don't know about the rest of you...but after the 1st assassination everything else in the game was exactly the SAME for me. It is painful to bear if you realize this and come to terms with it so early on. I tried my best to change it up as much as I could when playing...but after so many kills/annoying side missions it just got old fast.

The story elements are totally out there like in another Galaxy (just finished a session of ME so it's still fresh in my mind) & the way they tried to set things up with the cliffhanger is hogwash. I read posts that try & justify the future setting as a segway for a sequel. Really? Are they expecting to make like a Million of these games or what? Cause that is how much history they have to work with now thanks to the animus. Yay! The 1191 backdrop for this game had enough history alone to produce any wanted sequels. That is if they chose to go that route.

The game is unique for its swordplay & the past setting. Anything that takes away from that & you might as well call it by another name.

The setup for the Assassin's Creed trilogy should revolve around the PAST, screw the modern gameplay possibilities & should have kept with one main character ALTAIR not Desmond. (Playing as Desmond in a future sequel-he is blah, not even a real assassin-this is not the matrix- Fusing Altairs skills or another assassin's skills into this guy you might as well just have Desmond's mind wiped away and replaced with Altair or James Bond for that matter.

Few suggestions for AC2&3:

-Please do not introduce guns into gameplay for any of the future sequels.

-Replay value is very imp. to me when choosing a game so please do whatever it takes to ensure that this can happen in AC2&3

paperwingsra
11-21-2007, 02:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chay216:
What's with you sick people wanting children in the game? Is killing bums, women, and the mentally ******ed not enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for the most part agreed... accept killing bums ******ed and women is in most free play games where you can kill people... i.e elder scrolls and gta... but children i agree with i mean you do have to draw a line somewhere and if children were added i can safely say that maybe 7/10 people would kill one the first chance they got

Shonuv27
11-21-2007, 04:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Syclone2007:
9. Guards in full armor can run and jump just as good as you..... Of course the armor does not seem to provide any protection either so it is just to look pretty.QUOTE]

A - Probably complication through the story which take place in real time between Desmond and Altiar (Targets are at a specific time and no time can be wasted).

A - You don't get to swim until the sequal. everyone knows that.

A - Resident Evil 2, 3 and 4 ran into this problem. You want AC to end up like Man Hunt 2?

A - Agreed

A - Yeah what gives?

A - eh no body's perfect, you can still move away from the wall can't you?

A - It's called innovation, be "thankful" you can actually do that.

A - Damn, how much damage you want? if you fall like several stories or so you die instantly, thats real enough.

A - Well the fact that they are as acrobatic as Altiar is silly as oppose to the armor. Thats what killed me. More on my own post later.

This is a great game and no body is gonna be perfect. I liked the experience I just wish they did more with that they had.

Shonuv27
11-21-2007, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BorrisDream:
^^^^^^^I agree with you totally^^^^^^^

I had fun playing the game, but I think overall the game itself was unsatisfying.

*Spoilers*

My biggest complaint with the game was with its story/gameplay.

I don't know about the rest of you...but after the 1st assassination everything else in the game was exactly the SAME for me. It is painful to bear if you realize this and come to terms with it so early on. I tried my best to change it up as much as I could when playing...but after so many kills/annoying side missions it just got old fast.

The story elements are totally out there like in another Galaxy (just finished a session of ME so it's still fresh in my mind) & the way they tried to set things up with the cliffhanger is hogwash. I read posts that try & justify the future setting as a segway for a sequel. Really? Are they expecting to make like a Million of these games or what? Cause that is how much history they have to work with now thanks to the animus. Yay! The 1191 backdrop for this game had enough history alone to produce any wanted sequels. That is if they chose to go that route.

The game is unique for its swordplay & the past setting. Anything that takes away from that & you might as well call it by another name.

The setup for the Assassin's Creed trilogy should revolve around the PAST, screw the modern gameplay possibilities & should have kept with one main character ALTAIR not Desmond. (Playing as Desmond in a future sequel-he is blah, not even a real assassin-this is not the matrix- Fusing Altairs skills or another assassin's skills into this guy you might as well just have Desmond's mind wiped away and replaced with Altair or James Bond for that matter.

Few suggestions for AC2&3:

-Please do not introduce guns into gameplay for any of the future sequels.

-Replay value is very imp. to me when choosing a game so please do whatever it takes to ensure that this can happen in AC2&3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all the work put into Altiar for this game I don't think Desomond is gonna be the main character or anyone else. However since Altiar lives as Desmond lives so to speak, you need Desmond to continue the Sequel. I on the other hand am excited to see what happens to Desmond. And the idea of a modern day Assassin is pretty cool.

As for guns unless it's still during the Third Crusades. I think it will fit fine in the Modern Day story telling as we play as Altiar in Desmonds Genetic Memory. But I doubt they will focus heavy on that.

My only ill is that this game was made with a sequal in mind. Usually you make the first game, give it everything you got as if it was the last game, then Come up with an intriguing sequal. The ending was fine but it ended like a saturday morning cartoon. You wait till next saturday to see what happens but since this is a game that took 4 years to make I don't want to wait another 2 to see what happens. They did the same thing with Halo 2 which is why everyone hated it. Ubi, don't go that route with 2 and 3 and try to make the best damn game in 2 like it's the last one. And no more redundant quest. Add some purpose to everything and don't make it mundane. I want to feel excited about it. Ok thats all. peace, gonna plkay mass effect.

copperwolf
11-21-2007, 08:06 AM
one thing is for shure if next AC games will be in the future it will ruin the whole game.
thought of Altair/Desmond fighting with swords agains shotguns and snipers?????
it woulded work thats for shure

witchking77
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by copperwolf:
one thing is for shure if next AC games will be in the future it will ruin the whole game.
thought of Altair/Desmond fighting with swords agains shotguns and snipers?????
it woulded work thats for shure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with that !
b]An Assassin's Creed that takes place in the future would just be another stupid first person shooter.[/b] Booring.

1- I think it should stay in the middle ages or become a medieval fantasy with orcs and trolls.

2- I think the player should atleast get to choose how close the camera is to the character during combat. I like to see the details of who I fight. Walking looks great, but then the camera pulls back during combat.

3- Give the player the ability to initiate dialogue with choices.

4- Replayability. Multiple endings.

5- Better AI.

6- A longer game.

mangove
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wingf00t:
Was I the only one that really, REALLY loved the combat system? None of the game seemed repetitive to me because I really loved fighting. I thought eventually it would get old saving citizens, but it never did, because I enjoyed the fighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it too. And I think saving citizens is freakishly addictive... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think the fighting is awesome, i loved saving the citizens, or just provoking guards by tackling them, just so that they would fight me...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And personally, im sick and tired of people complaining about this game!
it is a freeking awesome game!, if you can do any better then go ahead, make one better!

Assassins Creed is brilliant, my only complaint is having to sit through the cut scenes when im re-doing the memory blocks just so i can free roam. Other than that this game is the best game ive ever played, im not kidding!

kanedamike
01-08-2008, 02:09 AM
I loved this game. One of the best and most fun games I ever played.

Here are some AI recommendations.

I noticed people people dislike the guards chasing Altiar through the rooftops and climbing buildings. I think to fix this, they should be slower at climbing and jumping, or have some kind of failure rate where they miss a ledge or miss a jump and fall and die. That would be great.

Fights are too easy. When surrounded by a group of enemies, they only attack one at a time which makes it really easy. I think guards should be smart enough to command a joint attack, and when a player is faced with a large group, the player should run. The more heavily armored enemies should lag behind, lighter armored enemies should be the ones closest to you.

When guards see one of their dead brothers on the ground, they walk to the body, say "who did this", look around for a few seconds and then leave the body there, go back to their post or their patrol as nothing happened. Even when I kill a guard standing four feet away from another guard. I think thats a little silly.

Rooftop fights are funny. I keep throwing them to their deaths and they cant do anything about it. If their is a big group of enemies on the roof and I keep throwing them off I think they should get the idea that they're going to die so they should run away.

If someone falls in the water, on purpose or accident and people are near, they run away screaming. Who does that? I would think most people would try to save someone if it looks like they cant swim. But I guess they haven't invented how to swim in the 1100's.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-08-2008, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kanedamike:
Fights are too easy. When surrounded by a group of enemies, they only attack one at a time which makes it really easy. I think guards should be smart enough to command a joint attack... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do. Look, if you're a master assassin surrounded by ten untrained hicks who have joined up to fight a crusade you're kinda going to have the edge. They're not going to fight a joint attack because they basically only figured out which side of a sword was the dangerous end yesterday. And anyway when two leaders are in the fight they DO attack jointly.

If every soldier attacked in combination with others we'd be complaining that the game was impossibly difficult, because if three soldiers attacked us at once we'd last about five seconds.

Drowl2007
01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
i miss night time. it would be awesome to assassinate your targets at night.

JaggyNettles
01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
no,it wouldnt. the poor guy needs to sleep doesnt he?

MiniXbox
01-08-2008, 01:44 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif OK Lets get straight to the point http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

-More Cities like Damascus, with Day and Night

-Weapons: The same as AC1 + crossbow, Steel Mace & a zorro whip http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

also i think b4 a mission u should be able to choose the stock of weapons u want

-Better Free running and Climbing ALtair should be doing frontflips and swings up walls and stuff not pulling his self up in slow-mo

-Fighting it should be maxed out a little such as you do counters that you can roll over a guards back then stab him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gifnow thats cool

and also it should have cool combos and not only hav 2 do counters to do good moves

-People. Like sum1 else said there shuld be kids in the streets as well that are trying to climb over walls and stuff

and those knife salesman guys i wish they dont die so quick and i wish you could choose what sort of punch u do ;uppercut, hook, slap lol

-more cool ways to assassinate such as flying forward and assassinating ur target

-Customizable outfits that you can unlock and stuff like that and also being able to make Altair stronger through the game

-Guards Alertness they shouldnt always be so aware of you i mean ur suppposed to be an assassin.

More Stealth needs to be added to the game so u feel like a real assassin

-Other Groups and Clans that are against you not just the templars and guards and stuff You should be hated in the game

Altair should have missions that u can wreck other Clans Bases and stuff like dat

-Co-Op Mode as sum1 else sed 1 of u distract other goes in for the kill http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

Other Game Modes, Deathmatches, First to kill a target and other stuff like dat

NOW A STORY IDEA
-Because it started wiv dat future thing it could blow up wiv desmond in it and he could stay trapped in it forever

-Altiar should start his own small clan wiv like 2 other Assassins like in the Scorpion King

Back to the game
-Be able to break down doors and walk into buildings to hid eform guards and stuff

-No water deaths every1 knows y

-A Longer game that has good little movies and endings and stuff like dat

- http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gifDONT SET THE GAME IN THE FUTURE http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
Maybe a different time but not in the present day ro future or anywhere close to dat

I Cant think of anythink else so when i do ill post ok and i hope sum1 hu can change the game is reading
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gifPEACE OUT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif OMG Now my keyboards nearly broke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

moqqy
01-08-2008, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Syclone2007:
9. Guards in full armor can run and jump just as good as you..... Of course the armor does not seem to provide any protection either so it is just to look pretty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yep, not necessary.
2. So what? Swimming isn't necessary, they didn't want to waste time with it.
3. Because it's a game and people might get offended if it's possible to kill children.
4. Maybe.
5. It was a trailer, and an early one.
6. Cheese.
7. Oh my god, you are so skilled.
8. Don't exploit it then, if it's too easy for you. Reload a game when you jump from "too high".
9. Me likes pretty.

Zerban_da_Great
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
Look, if you're a master assassin surrounded by ten untrained hicks who have joined up to fight a crusade you're kinda going to have the edge. They're not going to fight a joint attack because they basically only figured out which side of a sword was the dangerous end yesterday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That reminds me of The Mask of Zorro

Zorro: Do you know how to use that sword?
Antonio Bandares: The pointy end goes in the other man.

Anyway, doesn't anyone think that they're overreacting just a little bit?

Phillip Shahbaz sucks lol
I myself agree that our Phil isn't an amazing actor. However, he sounds like Altair! the very way he speaks covers for his acting defeciencies in that he can convey the arrogant and volitile nature of Altair without trying.

lol wut whrers t3h crisbowz
A crossbow literally took several minutes to reload. How would you like killing one guard and then standing there like a tool reloading a massive wooden contraption as ten screaming guards run at you? Not very much? You don't need to reload knives.

LOL I WNNA SWM!
Swimming is overrated. I don't want to swim. The problem in Acre's docks wasn't the insta-kill water, but the slightly loose jumping mechanics. I for one loved the thrill of danger freerunning in the port gave me. It was fun trailing twenty guards around the docks.

Day/Night cycle ftw!
Why would you want night? All it would do is keep your target in his private rooms surrounded by guards. You'd have to pull of some Sam Fisher **** right there to reach him, or kill the guards. Is that like AC in daylight? Yes it is.

I WANT WEATHER EFFECTS ROFL
Do you have any idea what the climate of the Holy Land was like? It was basically dry as a bone! Altair was lucky to be wearing white and having clouds pass overhead sometimes. There are even stories of Crusaders dying of heatstroke on the Crusades. Seriously, the forecast for the Holy Land is Sunny until the end of time.

Why r grds 2 agile?
Now I believe that people are making mountains out of molehills with this. While is is unrealistic (and uproriously funneh) to punch a drunk and see him bounce from pole to pole like Altair to ge to land, but honestly the guards are incredibly easy to loose. They don't CLIMB WALLS, as you say, like Altair. They climb ladders to get to the rooftop, and then they jump the gaps between buildings. have you seen them when they try to jump the gaps? They run to the edge, screech to a stop, take a run-up and only just grab the edge. They are NOT as agile as Altair.

Lol I can win just by countering, combat sux0rz
Combat is how you make it. haven't you heard the Total Freedom tagline of AC? If you choose to only counter and then complain then it's your problem. The game gives you a plethora of other oppourtunities, so why not use them? Imagine a battle with twenty guards in a city while wielding a sword. You could stand there and ***** counter. But you could use Dodge instead and conter with a Combo Kill, then use Defence Break and another Combo Kill, grab someone and sling him into the wall, climb a ladder and throw knives as the come, begin a flurry of attacks that forces the man back off the roof, fight so well and without taking damage that the remaining three men run away screaming... The possibilities are ENDLESS!

dialoge & stry iz bd lol
I replay Memory Block Seven endlessly for Al Mualim's conversation with Altair before the battles. The relentless arguments aganst all religion is so well-based and well-acted that I have a bit of a man-crush on Al Mualim's VA. I have a friend who is a history buff and a bit fed up with religion, and I can't wait to show it to him. Also worth a mention is the conversation with Richard after assassinating Rober De Sable. I have a lesser man-crush on Richard's VA, but still a man-crush. And then, last but not least, Vidic's explenation for his goals. Beyond just rehashing what Jubair tells Altair in Memory Block 5, he once again brings into question historical 'evidence' and religion's reasons for existance. Whenever I talk to Lucy I am astounded at the quality of not only what she's saying, but how she's saying it. While I admit, the Piece of Eden is unrealistic in its powers, it is once again an amazing plot device that suggests that maybe no Bible miracle ever happened, maybe there is no God, just lies that religion feeds to people to have power. I eagerly await more superb writing in AC2.

Assascreedfan
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Hey People http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

First of all i hav 2 say I definetly Agree wiv like nearly everyfink MiniXbox sed

Especially wiv da steel mace (I searched up wot it wos and it woz one of dose things wiv a metal pole then a big ball on the end sometimes with spikes on)

Yes and i agree we do need more cities like damscus i didnt really like acre and jerusalem

But if it had nightime it shuld have like lights on walls and stuff like dat cos i f u fink about it dat would be tops

The Idea Wiv Da Other Clans And Groups Was Tops
I Mean how culd u fink of dat

comon people jus think bout dat

But I think dat da game shuld be set in like kinda africa in like egypt and stuff

bye everypeople

oh yeah and like dat guy i hope someone hu can actually change de game is listenin

bye evrypeople

moqqy
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assascreedfan:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Hey People http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

First of all i hav 2 say I definetly Agree wiv like nearly everyfink MiniXbox sed

Especially wiv da steel mace (I searched up wot it wos and it woz one of dose things wiv a metal pole then a big ball on the end sometimes with spikes on)

Yes and i agree we do need more cities like damscus i didnt really like acre and jerusalem

But if it had nightime it shuld have like lights on walls and stuff like dat cos i f u fink about it dat would be tops

The Idea Wiv Da Other Clans And Groups Was Tops
I Mean how culd u fink of dat

comon people jus think bout dat

But I think dat da game shuld be set in like kinda africa in like egypt and stuff

bye everypeople

oh yeah and like dat guy i hope someone hu can actually change de game is listenin

bye evrypeople </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SAdkjsdalsdasda. ASlsda? askskdaskda!

dassadsda http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif guD BAio

Pr0metheus 1962
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assascreedfan:
First of all i hav 2 say I definetly Agree wiv like nearly everyfink MiniXbox sed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who but a pre-teen would even find that way of writing amusing - or useful?

MiniXbox
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gifOK Lets Get Straight 2 the Point http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
I told u b4 i wuld post wen i fout of sutin else

-The HUD Map is rubbish it needs to be more like GTA's HUD Map

-Setting, its a good idea for the game to be set in Egypt and other countries like dat.

ALSO UBI can u send out a nu Prince of Persia out on the Xbox 360

moomaha
01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Among other things I wish they had an option to have parts or all of the HUD fade. Burn-in isn't a good thing.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moomaha:
Among other things I wish they had an option to have parts or all of the HUD fade. Burn-in isn't a good thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those plasma TVs are a bugger.

IsacHunter
01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Online co-op play would be nice.
But we have to take in mind that from a business point of view. Ubisoft probably had set a deadline for the game to be finished and in stores before Christmas. It would be stupid not to do so.
Most of the stuff we would like to see implemented, will probably be in Ac 2.
And I think that even with the few "missing" parts of the potential game play, Ac is still a groundbreaking and great game.

bushwompa
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Collecting flags for no reason is dumb and not fun. Killing Templars is fun, but it could have been so much better.

Hmm, what could they have added...

A decent leveling system so you could develop the character - a la Oblivion, KOTR, or any number of other decent character based games.

Some sort of story line for side quests. Assassinating Templars is fun, but it would be more fun if there was a story line to go with it. Like maybe the Templar is some greedy landowner (most were) and is providing slaves to be tortured and experimented on by that Garnier guy.

There could have been more NPCs to talk to and get side quests from a la Oblivion.

You could have been able to actually talk to merchants and buy stuff rather than shopping in the pockets of bullies. Instead of earning weapons, you could get cash and have to go to a store and equip yourself with cool stuff like poison darts, a crossbow (like in the trailer!) or a hashpipe for conversing with the spirit world.

You could have been able to just give the damn beggar some money to shut up (especially if you got paid for your work).

You could be able to swim. Damn those docks are a treacherous place - even with a boat within 2 feet death is instant! Must be acid in there or something.

You could have been able to actually sneak around and hide in shadows etc. rather than walking in plain site until someone notices and you have to kill them all or run away and hide (no one will ever think to look behind a curtain!)

Things I learned...

The Mediterranean is made of acid and is instant death if you fall in it,

Or, no one could swim- even for ten seconds, in the 12th Century.

No one would ever think to look behind a curtain.

It is always daytime and the sun never moved in the 12th Century.

THrowing daggers are far more deadly than a sword.

Rock/wall climbing is easy.

You could not buy anything in the 12th Century.

Templars were guys who stood in one place like Beefeaters waiting to be assassinated.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bushwompa:
You could be able to swim. Damn those docks are a treacherous place - even with a boat within 2 feet death is instant! Must be acid in there or something...

The Mediterranean is made of acid and is instant death if you fall in it,

Or, no one could swim- even for ten seconds, in the 12th Century. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why does this nonsense keep coming up? People brought up in the desert in the middle ages did not learn to swim. They would drown in 7 feet of water 4ft from the nearest handhold because they COULDN'T SWIM! Yes that's right - they couldn't swim for ten seconds - not even two seconds. THEY COULD NOT SWIM - AT ALL.

From Samuel Pepys diary, 1st May 1660:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While we were at supper we heard a great noise upon the Quarter Deck, so we all rose instantly, and found it was to save the coxon of the Cheriton, who, dropping overboard, could not be saved, but was drowned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The coxwain of a ship in 1660 could not swim because people were taught to stay away from water. None of his shipmates could swim either or they would have been able to help - pretty much no one learned to swim prior to the 19th century.

In "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" James Loewen writes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Residents of Northern Europe and England rarely bathed, believing it unhealthy, and rarely removed all of their clothing at one time, believing it immodest. The Pilgrims smelled bad to the Indians. Squanto "tried, without success, to teach them to bathe," according to Feenie Ziner, his biographer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This same attitude to bathing in water would have been common in the Middle East too. People in the Middle Ages did not see any need to get involved with water. It was regarded as unhygienic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game about the Crusades portraying water as deadly. It is absolutely 100% realistic.

mynameismyself
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
They would drown in 7 feet of water 4ft from the nearest handhold because they COULDN'T SWIM! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Polish encyclopedia:

"Drawings from the Stone Age were found in "the cave of swimmers" near Sura, dating back to 2000 B.C.There is evidence that swimming was also a very popular sport in Greece and Italy in the original Olympic games. Athletes would compete in competitions that usually involved many nations competing in water sports in order to gain a prize. "

The coxwain of a ship in 1660 could not swim because people were taught to stay away from water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"In 1538, Nicolas Wynman, German professor of languages, wrote the first swimming book. Competitive swimming in Europe started around 1800, mostly using breaststroke."

Pr0metheus 1962
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Swimming as a sport and swimming in general are two completely different things. Prior to 1800 regular people did not swim and competitive sport was a diversion for the very rich. Pearl divers also learned to swim in times past but that doesn't mean that everyone could swim. The fact is, hardly anyone learned how to swim until the 19th century. The only people who swam before then were people who were so rich that they could afford the time to spend pursuing weird hobbies like swimming, or people whose livelihood depended on them learning to swim. After 1800 you're absolutely right - swimming became a very popular pastime even among ordinary people, but 1193 is a long way from 1800.

So yes, some people in the 12th century could swim, but that doesn't mean that everyone could. As for Altair, he's an assassin, born and brought up in the desert. I very much doubt that he would have learned to swim. He is not rich, he has no spare time for frivolous nonsense, and his job does not require him to swim. Altair would not even know how to tread water. In 7ft or more of water and 4ft from the nearest handhold, he would die, panicking and splashing uselessly.

bushwompa
01-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Swimming as a sport and swimming in general are two completely different things. Prior to 1800 regular people did not swim and competitive sport was a diversion for the very rich. Pearl divers also learned to swim in times past but that doesn't mean that everyone could swim. The fact is, hardly anyone learned how to swim until the 19th century. The only people who swam before then were people who were so rich that they could afford the time to spend pursuing weird hobbies like swimming, or people whose livelihood depended on them learning to swim. After 1800 you're absolutely right - swimming became a very popular pastime even among ordinary people, but 1193 is a long way from 1800.

So yes, some people in the 12th century could swim, but that doesn't mean that everyone could. As for Altair, he's an assassin, born and brought up in the desert. I very much doubt that he would have learned to swim. He is not rich, he has no spare time for frivolous nonsense, and his job does not require him to swim. Altair would not even know how to tread water. In 7ft or more of water and 4ft from the nearest handhold, he would die, panicking and splashing uselessly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow. that's a good defense of the swimming issue. Care to defend the "soldiers are too stupid to look behind a curtain" issue?

FlammaFumo
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I agree with most, about night-time and indirect things like that. Leveling, though, is not what the game is known for. Every other game, maybe. But AC was cool that you didn't HAVE to collect flags or kill 890,217 guards before you can get to the next badguy.

iPlunder
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I didn't know so many people wanted arguments about swimming in the game...

BlindCider
08-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Okay my turn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Some things I agree with:
1. more side missions and variety thereof
2. night time. It would be fun to hide in the shadows and seem like a ghost, watching guards freak out in fear as their companions randomly disappear in the darkness... hehe.
3. more complete story. I don't mind cliffhangers, you gotta set up the sequel somehow. But to leave the storyline itself feeling half done sucks when you have to wait longer for a game sequel than a movie sequel.
4. there's been a lot of great ideas suggested, so recounting them all would take forever. I really hope someone pays attention to this stuff.

Some things I wish they had added:
1. better unarmed combat. You're a master assassin, and the only thing you can do is punch slowly like a common thug? Oh, I'm sorry, you can grab them and throw them slowly too. I'd love to see him throw down like a trained killer; use his strong climbing hands and fingers to jab dudes in the throat, kidneys, and other vital targets. Let's not forget kicks. He can kick a guy's knee backwards while fighting with his short blade, why can't he kick when fighting unarmed? But most of all, we need some unarmed counter attacks! Ever other weapon has counter attacks. It would be so cool to grab a dude's arm and break it as he punches or swings his sword. Or for that matter, it would be cool to be able to break their neck! Any sort of locks or throws would be AWESOME!!! And make you feel like even more of a badass.
2. More ninja-like movement. Most of his movements are just awesome. But as skilled as he is, and how honed his muscles obviously are, it's frustrating to watch him always land so hard and clumsily. With the exception of his cool parkour roll, he lands so heavily the screen shakes sometimes. I know the dev's were going for realism, but people whose life revolved around stealth learned to land more fluidly and quietly than that, no matter what era they were in.
3. Fast forward for the cutscenes!!!!!!! It is unspeakably annoying that if I want to replay any missions just for fun, I have to start at Masayaf and wait through 5 minutes of talking before having to spend another 5 minutes to move through the town, get a horse, ride another annoying distance (and have to choke down the horse's choppy excuse for a jump), before I can finally start actually playing the game.

Other than that, the rest has been said by many of you, and I know they're going to make AC2 even bigger and better than the first. I just hope they don't make us wait forever.

Cody

BrianInKorea
04-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Children ,they should add children. One thing I noticed, if you save a citizen, thugs will come and you CAN'T assassinate the thugs. So, it shouldn't be too hard to make it so that kids can't be attacked/assassinated. Problem solved.

Animals, add them too. Goats and other animals fitting for the environment.

moqqy
04-13-2009, 03:05 AM
They already had children models for AC1, but decided to take them away..

LtKirby
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
i get that the animus is a memory thing but after you have done the main story line there is nothing to do and you have to go back and use rubbish weapons.

they need to work on a way to make the game more fun after the main storyline has been accomplished.

Ezio90
04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
the funniest thing ive seen in AC is when i was shoved by a drunk at Acre docks and the drunk was TOTALLY MAULED by a battalion of guards...... I laughed for the next couple hours