PDA

View Full Version : Engine Room or Fuel Tank ?

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
According to Wiki, engine room is best for most cargoes. I always aim for the fuel dump first, and if it survuves then I hit the engine room.

What do you captains usually aim for ? Any recommendations (particularly for Medium, Large Merchants/Cargoes/Tankers). I'm playing GW 1.1.

Salute !

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
According to Wiki, engine room is best for most cargoes. I always aim for the fuel dump first, and if it survuves then I hit the engine room.

What do you captains usually aim for ? Any recommendations (particularly for Medium, Large Merchants/Cargoes/Tankers). I'm playing GW 1.1.

Salute !

Vamandrac_Steam
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I always try to aim for the midship or slightly behinde on every ship. Nine times out of ten that does the trick.

Realjambo
08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Personally, I don't go for the Engine Room, my theory being whilst it may destroy the engines, it may not create a blast big enough to destroy the ship, just leaving it dead in the water. Therefore I go for Fuel Bunkers in Merchants everytime.

That said, each to their own!

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I go for the fuel too, but it works about 6-7 times out of ten. rest I have to hit a second time.

What are you guys averaging; fish per kill ? (assuming duds are on as well)

Also; where do you aim on capital ships ? Cruisers, carriers, battleships ?

CapLindemann
08-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Personally, on medium/large anchored warships, I aim for the keel, under the magazine. Make sure you set it deep enough to hit the keel dead on. I don't have GW, but that shot should work.

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Ok will try that too.

hueywolf123
08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, this is in fact a realism fault within SHIII. The developers should have consulted more with ex-navy personel.
Hitting the engine room, by rights should do the most damage. The theory is, introducing cold sea water into a superheated boiler can be catastrophic - resulting in an enormouse explosion. Hitting the fuel tanks will only cause an explosion if the same said tanks have less than 33% of the fuel left. In other words, the fuel will spill, but the flames will be outside of the tanks and not cause an explosion. The other thing is, a lot of the steam merchants in the war had coal fired boilers. Only the dust off the coal posed a fire risk, and once the coal was wet..
But hitting the boilers? Wow, that would cause a real hollywood style explosion, would tear the backside out of the ship and the ship would sink within minutes

CapLindemann
08-16-2006, 03:52 PM
The boilers are in the boiler room, not the engine room http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif But even that doesn't always happen, I mean look at the Titanic, flooding was in the 1st boiler room, no explosion, went down peacefuly(cept for the breaking apart event) in a 1 hour and 30 min.. Sure it did not get hit by a torp, but the Britannic was and she went down in only 15 min. no boiler explosion.

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm infiltrating Gibraltar, half heartedly running under all the patrols. On the way to my patrol grid down south - south west of las palmas, met one large cargo, and one steamer, hit both with single aft fish to the engine room, both broke into two. I'll try only engine shots this patrol, maybe engine/boiler damage is better modelled in GW1.1 (version I'm using)? Just trying to find our the ideal spots to hit.

HW3
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
One thing about it, if you hit them in the engine room, a followup shot, if needed, is much easier to make. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Blood_Splat
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
I just try to hit it lol. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

hueywolf123
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CapLindemann:
The boilers are in the boiler room, not the engine room http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif But even that doesn't always happen, I mean look at the Titanic, flooding was in the 1st boiler room, no explosion, went down peacefuly(cept for the breaking apart event) in a 1 hour and 30 min.. Sure it did not get hit by a torp, but the Britannic was and she went down in only 15 min. no boiler explosion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Super haeted? triple expansion?turbine? Don't forget the Titanic may well have only had saturated steam running through triplers, so not enough latent heat or pressure to cause any such explosion, but super heated steam runs at 300degrees + at a pressue of 1265psi. A rapid quenching of that magnitude, well you don't need to be Einstein to work out what happens next.
FYI, never feel sorry for the stokers in these instances, just their families. Anybody in the engineroom or boiler room when this happens would be vapourised within seconds. Too fast for any real pain or fear, just flash & gone.
On the slower/older jobs, coal fired mostly, low pressure, and smaller - well the boiler room & engine room are integrated.

blastomatic1759
08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
i always wondered about the guys in the engine rooms of ships when they were torpedoed.i know thats one place that i would hate to have worked during those times.

HeibgesU999
08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe it's the old tanker in me, but I aim center of mass at everything.

CapLindemann
08-16-2006, 06:13 PM
I say split the keel and be done with it....

Shahed_Kazi
08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I have'nt tried any keel shots in a good few patrols. Are keel shots 1 shot kills in GW 1.1 ?

Blood_Splat
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
My grandfather served on a fletcher class destroyer during WWII DD 587 USS BELL. During a battle they use to lock the engine room up so nobody could run out in panic frenzy. You were pretty much screwed and tattooed if the ship were hit there.

Blood_Splat
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Double post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

hueywolf123
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
BS, yes, this is why we stokers hated the seamanship branches with a vengance, because they used to lock the stokers in, then panic themselves when hit & forget to let them out

lecek
08-16-2006, 09:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shahed_Kazi:

Salute ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wrote that Wiki entry. (Um I assume you are talking about the community manual.)

I find that I can sink the ships in one shot 100 percent of the time with that method. Case closed. If I have 20 torpedos, I have 20 sinkings comming to my credit. You know how they say don't count your chickens before they are hatched? I am counting them. I go through 4 or 5 patrols in a row without a mistake. I have many more 100K patrols then I have reported.

I am not trying to brag. My point here is that I very strongly believe in the engine room shot, and I have lots of data to back up my belief.

The only time this doesn't work is when the ship changes course for one reason or another or I otherwise add the wrong data to the TDC. For example I might accidently set my AoB for a port side shot when I will be shooting at the starboard side. (It doesn't happen very often but it really pisses me off when it does.)

All in all the only entries in the Wiki that I don't actually trust are the entries for the liberty and the victory cargo. I just can't seem to get those ships to die in one shot. I have given up trying and I just shoot three torps at the ship as it goes by.

I play 100% with several mods that make the game a bit harder.

Shahed_Kazi
08-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Roger that. I'll stick to engine room shots only this patrol. Will report my kills. Thanks.

AdolphMeinhard
08-17-2006, 06:11 AM
The 1 meter under the keel is a killer in a lot of cases. However it will take ship awhile to sink, unless it breaks in two. The warships are different. If it is a cruiser or BB try to aim just below the deck guns- that is ammo room and makes an impressive explosion. Carriers seem to go down easier with a shot just under the island, set at 4.5 meters. As for a kill with every shot- I can't say I have that luck. Maybe I will try engine room after reading posts here, I have been primarily a under the keel and a fuel bunker Kaleun so far. Thanks for the great info Liberty and Victorys, I thought it was my aiming! Does anyone know if that is an accurate AI for those cargo ships? I thought that since they were prefab that they would be easier to kill, but I am having a tough time with single shot kills on them.A.M.

Shahed_Kazi
08-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Just sneaked past the net in NE corner of Gibraltar harbor, fired one torpedo to the engine room of the Southapmton parked there. Unit destroyed on impact.

Shahed_Kazi
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok, going back to St. Naz now. 10 Cargoes and 2 warships (Fido & Dido) sunk. Every single ship was sunk by a single hit to the engine room. edit: docked with 89k tonnage.

Thanks for your help all !

VikingGrandad
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
The way I understand it is this:

When a torpedo breaches the engine room, the large volume of cold sea-water that rushes in makes contact with the pressurised steam boilers and causes them to explode. (after re-reading the other posts, this is what hueywolf was explaining)

I think this is why the engine room (boiler room) is a more potent target than the fuel bunker, at least on a steam-powered vessel.

On a vessel with diesel motors, I would guess that the fuel bunkers would be a better target.

hueywolf123
08-17-2006, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
The way I understand it is this:

When a torpedo breaches the engine room, the large volume of cold sea-water that rushes in makes contact with the pressurised steam boilers and causes them to explode. (after re-reading the other posts, this is what hueywolf was explaining)

I think this is why the engine room (boiler room) is a more potent target than the fuel bunker, at least on a steam-powered vessel.

On a vessel with diesel motors, I would guess that the fuel bunkers would be a better target. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
VG, full fuel tanks will not explode, as they have no oxeygen inside the tanks for ignition, I'm not too sure how this is modelled in the game but in reality, to have enough oxygen inside a fuel tank/bunker for it to explode you need 2/3rds of it empty. Otherwise all you'd get is a steram of fire running out of the rupture. Most damage control teams can stop this, or if it's running outside of the ship, just let it burn and pump sea water into the tank to prevent enough oxygen for combustion to enter