PDA

View Full Version : a gravity thing

M2morris
04-11-2008, 07:33 AM
This could be sort of a raaaidism: I was telling a co-worker about when I used to fly gliders and he asked some questions about how they were able to fly without a motor etc, and so on. He is not an aviator at-all(you all know the type)Well, I told him that gravity is what propells a glider forward. He could not grasp the concept and he actually thought I was bee-essing him. But eventually the subject came to an end anyway and I was working alone for a couple of hours when I thought of: How would it be if you could fly a plane in a world without gravity? Say, if you had an enclosed sphere out in space, 10 kilometers in diameter, and this sphere was filled with air with normal pressure.
I pictured myself in a Corsair flying through this grivity-less air world. Think of the what- ifs. One of the four effects would be gone. What if I killed the engine and glided,I would eventually come to a stop and just hang there.
What if I bailed out at 200 kts; My chute would
open and stop my forward motion, but my body would not swing down and hang by the risers; I would just stay sideways and my chute would just hang there and deform. My guns would have very far range. The possibilities are endless.
P-factor could change, and how about torque?
and an airfoil effect without gravity pulling on it. L/D. Well, its jsut a wierd thing I thought of. Figured I'd put it in here for someone to kick around.

M2morris
04-11-2008, 07:33 AM
This could be sort of a raaaidism: I was telling a co-worker about when I used to fly gliders and he asked some questions about how they were able to fly without a motor etc, and so on. He is not an aviator at-all(you all know the type)Well, I told him that gravity is what propells a glider forward. He could not grasp the concept and he actually thought I was bee-essing him. But eventually the subject came to an end anyway and I was working alone for a couple of hours when I thought of: How would it be if you could fly a plane in a world without gravity? Say, if you had an enclosed sphere out in space, 10 kilometers in diameter, and this sphere was filled with air with normal pressure.
I pictured myself in a Corsair flying through this grivity-less air world. Think of the what- ifs. One of the four effects would be gone. What if I killed the engine and glided,I would eventually come to a stop and just hang there.
What if I bailed out at 200 kts; My chute would
open and stop my forward motion, but my body would not swing down and hang by the risers; I would just stay sideways and my chute would just hang there and deform. My guns would have very far range. The possibilities are endless.
P-factor could change, and how about torque?
and an airfoil effect without gravity pulling on it. L/D. Well, its jsut a wierd thing I thought of. Figured I'd put it in here for someone to kick around.

FoolTrottel
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Flying any aircraft at speed in such an environment would have you end up at the ceiling of the sphere...

You'd be gaining altitude like mad, as the lifting force is still there, but the gravity one's not....

M2morris
04-11-2008, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Flying any aircraft at speed in such an environment would have you end up at the ceiling of the sphere...

You'd be gaining altitude like mad, as the lifting force is still there, but the gravity one's not.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, thats what I thought at first too, but lifting force against what?

M2morris
04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

You'd be gaining altitude like mad, as the lifting force is still there, but the gravity one's not.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, thats what I thought at first too, but lifting force against what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Youd have altitude gained from deflected airflow.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
In order to fly in an environment like that you would need very small wings the were perfectly flat on both side with an AOA of 0. Then you would just pitch the wings/elevator to manuever the plane. If the wings had lift like current AC then you would just keep gaining altitude. And you would have to have an engine of some sort as air resistance would not let you glide without propulsion.

buzzsaw1939
04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Morris.. I think you out did Raaaid on this one, without gravity, what air?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Friendly_flyer
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Did any of you read "Rendezvous with Rama"? There's a bit there the protagonist is flying a very light pedal driven craft in a near zero gravity environment.

DuxCorvan
04-11-2008, 04:44 PM
You would fly in a steep diagonal path up and forward, taking the longitudinal axis of your plane as reference, because your power would push you forward, and unrestricted lift force would push you in a perpendicular path "up". If that's just a filled sphere, there would not be real up or down, and everything would be relative. If you had some "surface" over which to "fly", then you'd need to have a dramatically nose-down flight attitude to fly level "above" it. "Descending" -relative to the reference surface- or "ascending" would not make you gain or lose speed, since there would be no gravitational energy, and speed would be determined just from your engine power and air resistance.

M2morris
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Morris.. I think you out did Raaaid on this one, without gravity, what air?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, thanks for the out-raaaiding comment, but my idea is a sphere filled with air. So thats how. I think I should go score some weed now down town and come back for some real mind expansion. (kidding)