PDA

View Full Version : Convergence question for 109 nose mounted 20mm

blackpulpit1970
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
I would like to know what convergence people use for the nose cannon on the 109, i have been messing with the 109G6as 20mm and i love the gun alot, i feel it is better (for me anyways) than the 108 so i would like to know what setting people think shoots the 20mm in a flat trajectory, because convergence is also vertical i believe with the nose cannon and thats why when set to a high value like 500 or more it lobs the shells or shoots them up and out. I kinda feel that 170 shoots the 20mm pretty straight thru the crosshair and also because it is a smaller round to fire, any thoughts on this and your prefered convergence setting. (20mm only not the 108s please)

blackpulpit1970
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
I would like to know what convergence people use for the nose cannon on the 109, i have been messing with the 109G6as 20mm and i love the gun alot, i feel it is better (for me anyways) than the 108 so i would like to know what setting people think shoots the 20mm in a flat trajectory, because convergence is also vertical i believe with the nose cannon and thats why when set to a high value like 500 or more it lobs the shells or shoots them up and out. I kinda feel that 170 shoots the 20mm pretty straight thru the crosshair and also because it is a smaller round to fire, any thoughts on this and your prefered convergence setting. (20mm only not the 108s please)

Manuel29
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
150 for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Carcano1970
03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Not sure but does the convergence have any affect when using a nose cannon? Since the rounds are heading straight out?

El Turo
03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Absolutely.

In the German 20mm nose cannon, it is firing from below your aiming reticle, up through the center of the pipper, arcing above the pipper and then falling back through the pipper again down range.

For example, a convergence setting of 100m is exactly the same angle of elevation as 400m with the 20mm nose cannon. This is so because the cannon round is travelling "up" through your view (and through your gunsight) at 100m, and falling back down through the center at 400m. So, in a way, you get two convergence settings for the price of one. 100m is great for fighters and 400m is a good safe distance for sniping bomber engines and fuel tanks.

blackpulpit1970
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Well said Turo, thats what i meant by vertical, thanks for your input.

Kocur_
03-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I tested it once (K4 on field firing at a high object) and if I was not mistaken there is no change in vertical when convergence is altered...

JG53Frankyboy
03-23-2006, 04:33 PM
if a have a MG151 in the nose, and dont forget to change the setting, i fly with 1000m convergence - helps a little in deflection shooting.
bot most time i forget it to change, and i fly around with my standart 200m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wilburnator
03-24-2006, 02:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
I tested it once (K4 on field firing at a high object) and if I was not mistaken there is no change in vertical when convergence is altered... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I've done a few tests of my own, and it doesn't seem to change the trajectory at all to me, although many people insist it does.I could be wrong but I can't detect any change between 100m and 1000 meters in a nose mounted gun.

carguy_
03-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Been using 100m till just recently,then switched to 170m which is the distance I fire the most times.My aim instantly went downhill because 100m made MG151/20 fire a flat trajectory so I had to make it up by a higher deflection and aiming above the target point.With new conv. it`s not really required.

My impression is the shell definitely goes to lob trajectory.Since I changed convergence I don`t need big deflections cuz I see where it goes the most time.

Somehow though I hit planes more often but actually they stay in the air far longer than before.Something must be wrong because in a sortie I get to damage up to 4 enemy aircraft (human/AI) scoring one kill,often no kills in the end.

Manuel29
03-24-2006, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
Somehow though I hit planes more often but actually they stay in the air far longer than before.Something must be wrong because in a sortie I get to damage up to 4 enemy aircraft (human/AI) scoring one kill,often no kills in the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waiting for BoB's DM http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Yesterday, I've been damaged flying an FW190-A4 by a 0.303 burst of a Spit behind me (from 400m to 600m)... fuel leak and speed reduced: after this they eated me.

Two words: Damage Model.