PDA

View Full Version : P51 vs P38 vs P47 in the Game

IZT
04-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Which aircraft do you people think have the best balance of everything and why?

Also im kinda new to IL2 although i played other WW2 flight sims before but none are as realisitc as this.

How is it that i tend to get stalls in a P51 even with high speeds and me not pulling too hard on the joystick??

IZT
04-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Which aircraft do you people think have the best balance of everything and why?

Also im kinda new to IL2 although i played other WW2 flight sims before but none are as realisitc as this.

How is it that i tend to get stalls in a P51 even with high speeds and me not pulling too hard on the joystick??

Maple_Tiger
04-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Try taking only 25% fuel for the P-51, it cut down on stalling or going into a spin.

My favorit is the P-51D right now. The P-47 was my favorit but i dont like they way it is modeled right now. The P-38 is my second favorit, it has the best ecceleration and climb out of the three.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid111/p4a4fe01f1585e87d078204671c682c4d/f90e96f0.jpg
Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

WUAF_Co_Hero
04-14-2004, 04:39 AM
I used to be a 47 pilot exclusively, for it's unmatchable high alt. performance.

Now, I fly the 38. It can take on any bird right up to 9k, at which point the Ta will become a problem. If I'm forced to fly higher: I will take either a Ta or a 47, but otherwise, the 38 is a far more versitile fighter out of the 3, if used properly: IMO.

The problems w/ the other two are as follows:

P-47: Although indesputibly the single best high alt. U.S. plane availible, it heavily lacks at alttitude below 8k. In other words, below that alt, most anything can get Co-E with it rather quickly: at which point, the 47 can only outturn 190's.

P-51: Better manuverability than the 47, but still falls short on the grand scale. Good high alt performance, but not better than the 47. Serious problems with pulling out of dives and exploding. Otherwise, this is a good bird all around, but not particularly fast or good at climbing / diving compared to other latewar adversaries.

P-38: Least effective (speed) at high alt, but best manuvering over 8k. Easily the best climb and dive rates of the 3 (accelleration, where dive is concearned). Far more manuverible than the other two, to the point that even the L can outturn Ki Ib's and later at extereme low speeds. The single most durrable fighter in IL-2 from what I've seen.

Anyways, that's my more or less... comprehensive review on the three. They're all good birds, take your pick based on what suits you best.

Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day...

Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.