PDA

View Full Version : Board with flight lets get to the fight.

toddwr88
11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
I been playing other flight Sims for some time and most of them have a keyboard combo that you can use to skip ahead to where you first meet or incounter the enemy is there something like this on Pacific Fighters. I€m tired of flying for ever before getting to the real part of the mission.

toddwr88
11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
I been playing other flight Sims for some time and most of them have a keyboard combo that you can use to skip ahead to where you first meet or incounter the enemy is there something like this on Pacific Fighters. I€m tired of flying for ever before getting to the real part of the mission.

fly_zo
11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
hi,

there is the key for time skip.

RTFM http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

actionhank1786
11-23-2005, 09:10 AM
on my computer (i'm pretty sure these are the default keys) [ and ] slow time down, and speed it up. There's a button in PF that will turn the graphics off in the sim (or something of that nature) but the game still figures where you will be travelling.
I've never used it, however, i've heard about it.

JunkoIfurita
11-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Older sims, such as Aces in the Sky, etc, had pre-scripted missions where the action ONLY occured around the player.

Maddox Games sims (and well, most other modern sims) are different - they calculate and model everything that's happening in the sky and on the ground, even if you can't see it happening on the screen. That's why with externals on you can Ctrl-F2 around a busy mission and see what else is going on.

This allows for an element of surprise, and each mission will never happen exactly the same.

However, this means you can't just skip ahead instantly to a further point in the mission, because without the flight model calculations and AI calculations, you'll have no idea where any object/aircraft is supposed to be!

The 'time skip' function, as Actionhank says, simply disables the graphics render temporarily, so all the CPU/RAM can be devoted to flight/AI calculations. Supposedly this will speed up points between the missions, but only on a very, VERY high end machine. On all my previous machines, Time skip was no faster than 8x time acceleration (with autopilot enabled), and you don't have anything to look at!

I've yet to test it on my new killer box...

Mind you, if you're bored with long flights, you should look into downloading the myriad of excellent community built static campaigns. Not only are they much more immersive than the dynamic campaigns (in terms of missions, briefings, object layout, etc), but they also tend to be shorter - because people like to have fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

----

Skycat_2
11-24-2005, 12:29 AM
There is an entry in the conf.ini under [DGen] (I believe) that allows you to decrease the combat radius of your DGen missions, provided the generator can plot a mission within the distance you request. Lowering that value from default might help make the missions more tolerable for you ... I believe an explanation is provided in the "Read Me" or in the game's manual.

Professor_06
11-24-2005, 01:10 AM
And you get "bored" too.

Actually im with you. So called dynamic camps bore me to tears. There are only a couple that worth spending time on. Try the Uber Quick missions. They are a blast. Oleg wanted scripted but was talked out of it by the misguided. With no instant save option the camps are just tedious. Opinions differ. There are actually some who prefer spending 45 minutes on a mission. IMO They must be unemployed or on disability to have the luxury of staring at 19 inch monitor for hours on end.

joeap
11-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Professor, you really have to try DCG by Lowengrin, a very good dynamic generator. Otherwise agree uberquick is GREAT, and I must add so are the static campaigns made by the community. Very well done, currently doing: "When Tigers Could Fly","Straight Down", "Weisse Me-262", "El-Alamein" Luftwaffe, "The Blue", done the "Two Days in June" started the "VVS Fighter" campaign got killed twice so taking a break now.

x6BL_Brando
11-24-2005, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They must be unemployed or on disability to have the luxury of staring at 19 inch monitor for hours on end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif It's the disability that makes me unemployable - one-armed bricklayers not being in high demand around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Please don't make the mistake of equating unemployment & disability with luxury!!

However, even with all this luxury http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have to confess that flying the width of New Guinea in a Beaufighter just to get shot down or fly all the way back IS boring (to me). Many of the DGen missions are like that, I just avoid them. And what the he11? There are a host of different ways to get really intense action out of this game without having to stare at the landscape for half-an-hour.

For starters there are literally hundreds of user-made campaigns available. There are more hundreds of user-made single missions out there too. A quick Properties check shows that my Missions folder holds 250Mb of data. Thousands of singles, coop missions & series, some that I made myself, and some excellent campaigns that leave me amazed by all the hard work that goes into building them.

Just at the minute I have five campaigns 'on the go'. They range from a 'what-if' YP-80 posting in the Ardennes, to a tour flying CR42's in the Hungarian air service at the commencement of Operation Barbarossa. In between these edges of the spectrum I'm flying in the defence of Guadalcanal, desert ops in North Africa, IL-2s at Kursk...... well, you name it, they're out there. You can download these from airwarfare.com - flyinglegends.com - and even ubi.com.

I apologise for not posting links. Try heading to the mission-builder forum and asking about - loads of really dedicated writers 'live' there, happy to share their work.... You could also ask about Paul Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator (DCG).

The bottom line is that you get out of this game what you put into it.

Tachyon1000
11-24-2005, 09:08 AM
To first poster,

Map a key for the time skip function and enjoy. Maddox put this in PF on purpose because flying over all that water in the Pacific can be boring. The game will pull you out of time skip when the enemy is near.

F4U_Flyer
11-24-2005, 10:30 AM
just set auto pilot and use the 8x speed up and you wont have any problems and also you can see when the action starts! Thats the best way ive found to get to the action sooner!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif