PDA

View Full Version : Poll time, who is buying PC version as Ubi pulls bait and switch?

Unstop4ever
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
So they think that the masses are ignorant. Boost up price by $10 and force the DLC down our throats which was created during the original development. Basically they want to to shell out $60 for an old game, which was delayed for supposed "Piracy"

Piracy that was rampant on the Xbox 360 where they didn't get punished.

Right now I am so upset I don't plan on giving one cent to this company ever again. Here are your options, so vote away.

Unstop4ever
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Interesting new anti piracy measure.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-s...ngdom/1063391p1.html (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-settlers-7-paths-to-a-kingdom/1063391p1.html)

You can install the game in a 100 pcs but you gotta be logged in to your ubi account.

SWJS
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
They've already confirmed that Piracy wasn't the official reason for the delay, it was trouble with porting and bugs. And I've heard nothing about a "price boost". Ubisoft isn't treating you unfairly. They're working hard to optimize the PC version so that it is free of bugs and works efficiently.

Unstop4ever
01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: Forums
Update LiveCloud Account

Who are you going to believe. A multi million dollar company who wants your money or someone who doesn't?

Ubisoft today revealed that Assassin's Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction and a new Ghost Recon game, among others, will be released across its next fiscal year, which spans April 1, 2009 through March 31, 2010.

Though the company only yesterday said that Darkworks' first-person survival game I Am Alive would arrive in March, the game has been delayed, with Ubisoft noting that it "will require further development time and will now bolster the line-up for 2009-10."

Overall, 2009-10 will see Ubisoft deliver 7 titles in existing game franchises, launch 3 new brands (including I Am Alive), release 4 license-based tie-ins (including James Cameron's Avatar and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and provide additional entries in the Petz, Imagine, My Coach and PlayZone casual game series.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56886

It was piracy and fiscal year, no doubt about it. It's all about money and sticking it to the little guys who pay support said product.

SWJS
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Considering the fact they listened to our suggestions and implimented them into the game and are working hard to complete the game as we speak, I would be willing to pay for the product they are creating for me.

The PC is different from the consoles. Each one is different, and the developers have to ensure the game works properly on each operating system.

The PC gamers aren't being treated unfairly. Their cookies are spending extra time in the oven for extra deliciousness.

I See it this way. The company works hard on the game to meet the deadline and get their paychecks, which they must live off of. If something goes wrong and the consumer blames the developer and then refuses to pay for it, the developer is going to wise up and say "hey, why should we work hard for them, they're being difficult."

It's the same with any business. Take a restaurant for example. If your soup is going to take a bit to cook, and you blow up at the staff for making you wait, chances are they will ask you to leave and deny you soup, whereas if you had waited would have nice warm, fresh soup, and good service.

The prices not only go into paychecks, but also into equipment and things neccessary for making it all possible.

Patience is a virtue my friend. You will be rewarded for your wait. If you rush, your cookie will come out half-baked, and that is not good eats.

Unstop4ever
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
What exactly did they modify or where can I find said info? I will search but please post.

SWJS
01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I truly am sorry, but I myself don't know exactly which source it was stated in, but I do know it was posted on the forum. You could probably find it in one of the main PC game related threads. If I remember correctly, I believe it was said it was delayed for optimization and bug fixes, as well as ensuring that porting it goes well.

LCGuardian
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Any suggestion of piracy gets locked down by the mods on this forum, so tread carefully. That said, I have had my doubts about the official reasons given for the PC delay.

And, I think extra deliciousness doesn't make up for the utter lack of respect that Ubisoft has paid to PC gamers around the PC release. For that matter, given North Americans appear to have to pay for the DLC, and nothing extra seems to be included above this, there is no extra deliciousness. A functioning game is not extra delicious, but something that should be expected by all gamers willing to pay for a game.

SWJS
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I can understand that. However, is any game EVER perfect? No matter what game it is, there is going to be some type of issue. The fact that PC gamers often get better framerate, graphics, and textures is a reward in it's own right.

I use consoles, because my computer is insignificantly powerful enough to run a game.

However, I've played Star Wars Battlefront II on PS2 and PC, and it is undoubtedly better on the PC, due only in part by mods.

So I believe the PC definately has it's ups and downs, but the ups make even the downs look good.

What is waiting going to hurt? It's not like it's been cancelled, or made an exclusive.

LCGuardian
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:

What is waiting going to hurt? It's not like it's been cancelled, or made an exclusive.

Yeah, my grandfather always said that a pleasure deferred is a pleasure enhanced. Maybe it's true. And ultimately, its only a game. I have other things to do that I enjoy more than playing PC games, and soon with uni starting again I'll have more important things to do. However, the main reason I enjoyed AC (and many games) was the storyline. To have the temptation of spoiling the storyline on Wikipedia, but knowing that doing this would reduce my enjoyment of the game when I eventually get it, makes it a difficult wait.

I don't say this to be provocative, but are you a console player? And have you enjoyed playing the console version? Now think of the PC fans who have been forced to wait, and ask how pleased you would have been. Its not life and death, but I'm sure you'll agree that some frustration is appropriate.

Unstop4ever
01-25-2010, 10:09 PM
As far as piracy goes I don't pirate any games. I am strongly against it because it hurts the industry. The point is that the Xbox 360 vers is pirated but they don't get punished.

PC version is pushed back 3 months because or piracy says shacknews.

SteelCity999
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm sure there are a number of reasons why it was delayed but find no reason to bash Ubisoft on it.

They already took alot of heat on fairly buggy console versions of the game and did there best to fix them promptly and have listened to everyone here on the forums. So why not delay the game a bit and make sure that alot of the issues on the consoles were addressed on the PC. Sure does make sense and it helps keep them working on the next installment instead of waiting on debugging the PC version entirely on its own - which takes time with less sales.

I'm sure waiting out the console DLC also had something to do with it as well seeing as how they are all included with the PC version.

Bottom line is.... the money is in the console versions and they wanted to get it right on the PC so they could get their focus back on the consoles.

SWJS
01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't say this to be provocative, but are you a console player? And have you enjoyed playing the console version? Now think of the PC fans who have been forced to wait, and ask how pleased you would have been. Its not life and death, but I'm sure you'll agree that some frustration is appropriate.
Trust me friend, I have felt your pain with Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon. It was a game I was extremely excited about. It was delayed 7 times within two of THQs fiscal years, cancelled on the PS3 in North America, and when it finally came out for the 360, it still turned out half baked, and by that point every critic on the internet was bashing the game with their merciless critic hammers. I was a very unhappy gamer.

Wonderglue
01-26-2010, 05:23 AM
I won't buy it if it would require a Internet Connection for a SP game. You know,the new ******ed protection. Whats wrong with putting the Disc in your DVD case anyway?

jd83
01-26-2010, 06:05 AM
The $10 price hike on the PC version annoyed me, but I WAS still going to buy the game. Requiring me to be be constantly online with my game saves somewhere on one of their servers is a deal breaker. I don't mind if a game does a quick online check during install, but this new draconian drm is ridiculous. I will not purchase ANY Ubisoft game ever again on PC, 360 or PS3 until they cut this crap out.

People that support this need their head examined....
You are basically renting this game because in a year or two when they shut down the servers your game can no longer be played.

caswallawn_2k7
01-26-2010, 06:12 AM
You are basically renting this game because in a year or two when they shut down the servers your game can no longer be played.
or they do the same as they have done in the past and when they game gets to a certain age patch out the security, as for the saves having to be saved to the ubi server, there is a option to turn off cloud storage for saves meaning you can keep the local on your PC.

Windrius
01-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Well I'm happy about the DLC's and only 10$ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif pff I know that might be a trouble for poor people but 60$ is a really low price.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But anyway piracy issue is just a waist of time. Everything always gets cracked. Show me atleast one game that didn't get cracked? All steam games got cracked, GTA IV which was suppose to be impossible to crack also got cracked. So whats the deal?
I'm going to buy the game but all of these "anti-piracy" things are just silly to me ^^

Pankratz1980
01-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I was going to buy ACII for $50, which is how much PC games should cost. Not $60. So I was going to shop around or wait.

But if it turns out that ACII uses Ubisoft's DRM which forces legitimate buyers to rely on internet connection, I WON'T buy it. Or ANY Ubisoft game using such a horrible copy protection for that matter.

I accept disc-check copy protection, or one-time activation provided it will be removed in the future (like with Anno 1404). Nothing else.

FiskMunk
01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I had been anxiously waiting 3 years for it... But now it turns out we'll require online verification every f****** we want to start the game. Say, isn't that just great?
Ubisoft sure do know how to treat us customers, with both respect and common sense in a lush mix.

Oh wait...

Realjambo
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
FiskMunk - I appreciate you may be less than happy about the situation but this is your final warning - Lose the potty mouth - If you trip the filter, or use asterisks yourself, again your posting rights will be suspended.

Wonderglue
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Realjambo:
FiskMunk - I appreciate you may be less than happy about the situation but this is your final warning - Lose the potty mouth - If you trip the filter, or use asterisks yourself, again your posting rights will be suspended.

I think he isn't the only one being less happy with the "Ultimate Anti-Piracy Internet Protection Service" For Singleplayer Games,made for you by..... Wait for it....... Ubisoft! *ta-da* *Happy Face* /slitwrists.

I'm still getting the game tho.

FiskMunk
01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Wonderglue:
I'm still getting the game tho.

I wonder how Ubisoft thought...

" Come up with an unnecessary and highly annoying anti-piracy solution > ??? > Profit! "?

frigabond
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi new member here so treading carefully http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Had to enrol when I heard the news about PC version being internet dependant to play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

I've been patiently waiting for this game for over a yearish and to now discover that I need a reliable connection to play (confidently) is, well frankly, pants. I don't have such a good connection ( typing this in notepad and pasting bad). To restrict a genuine paying willingly customer in this way just doesn't make sense to my mind.

I'm glad the DLC content is included and worth the extra( hey everyone should pay for extras!) but a 5 month wait to get an over restricted game IMO is just a bridge too far.

I've had the chance for ages to play it on the son in laws 360 and resisted...so far. Now I'm not so sure. Do I give UBI the money for a crippled PC version or treat my daughter to a curry....decisions decisions

icrash
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Actually from what little I've seen, you have to be online the whole time you're playing,....like Rise of Flight....even for single player mode. There is no "offline" mode or support. If you ain't online,you ain't playing.

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by icrash:
Actually from what little I've seen, you have to be online the whole time you're playing,....like Rise of Flight....even for single player mode. There is no "offline" mode or support. If you ain't online,you ain't playing.

All in favour of boycotting the PC version until Ubi corrects (Or gives us more information/confirmation about) their horrible so called "solution, say "Aye".

...Aye!

Windrius
01-27-2010, 02:15 AM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Post removed. Please do not discuss Piracy and Cracks on Ubisoft forums - in any way shape or form. </span>

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 02:31 AM
No you don't http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, this isn't a matter of how to bypass it, this is a matter of principles, of Ubisoft's employees' common sense:
"Online = Singleplayer...? Yep, that sure does add up. Now, let's go find evidence that the Earth is banana-shaped!"

Windrius
01-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by FiskMunk:
No you don't http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, this isn't a matter of how to bypass it, this is a matter of principles, of Ubisoft's employees' common sense:
"Online = Singleplayer...? Yep, that sure does add up. Now, let's go find evidence that the Earth is banana-shaped!"

http://static-p4.fotolia.com/j...bugAB7chQiyoFhRM.jpg (http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/05/69/75/400_F_5697599_HT63DPKog1QJTnltbugAB7chQiyoFhRM.jpg )
YAY I WIN!

icrash
01-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by FiskMunk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icrash:

All in favour of boycotting the PC version until Ubi corrects (Or gives us more information/confirmation about) their horrible so called "solution, say "Aye".

...Aye! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much the same feeling on the SH5 forum because SH5 is getting the same protection system.

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by icrash:
That's pretty much the same feeling on the SH5 forum because SH5 is getting the same protection system.

Phew, what is this world coming to? What next, will we have to upload our fingerprints every 10 seconds in order to prevent Windows from crashing?

SteelCity999
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Here's a link about the piracy measure....its messed up they did this. Its not the answer to the problem....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6...estheadlines;title;2 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6248138.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2)

Piracy4Life
01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm Not going to buy it anymore...i know that there would be a lot of problems with new protection system..
They should clean their company from betryershttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)) instead of making new protection systems,which don't have any sense of making,cause it would be 99% cracked somedayhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I just read the article.

I understand it all now.
It's all so simple.
Everything they've said actually has a point.
Saving singleplayer save files online is great, and means little inconvenience to those who have a slow connection.
And constant pauses? Oh, I've always wanted those. Like the other day, I turned all settings on GTA IV to the highest possible, and enjoyed the awesome blur of 3fps.

Ubisoft, you're so smart. You're not in the slightest encouraging raging PC gamers to put all their power into cracking the game, thus making it available for illegal download.

*applause*

sensationikke
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
10$ (or euros) extra? On all sites from shops here in belgium i find always 49.99 euro and even: Preorder now and you'll get extra contect without any extra payment. for 42.99 (-7 cause of buying online)

Realjambo
01-27-2010, 03:34 PM
One more post concerning Piracy or Cracks will see this thread locked.

apoc.reg
02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Im more than happy to pay the price for the PC version... as long as its a decent port

Ie that the triggers work on my xbox 360 pad (that was so annoying in AC1 PC!!)and its optimised performance wise