PDA

View Full Version : Most common reasons why people stop playing this game?

rnzoli
12-14-2008, 12:15 AM
This question is about people who played this game for at least 6 months, and had to abandon playing it. At least temporarily, but for a minimum of 3 months.

triad773
12-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Family. It's more like a second job to me. Especially during the holidays http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

xTHRUDx
12-14-2008, 01:10 AM
the poll is flawed. anyone that would be qualified to answer the poll wouldn't be reading it in the 1st place because the would have left by now. the game is 5+ years old.

DuxCorvan
12-14-2008, 02:10 AM
There were some reasons for me to leave it:

1) Boredom. The offline experience started to feel more and more obnoxious and monotonous with the lack of care that initiated with AEP. Only the constant flow of development goodies and new stuff was able to catch my attention, but when Oleg closed the tap, the cold nature of the sim -lack of linking and supporting elements to fill the gameplay with immersion, and the awkward AI- became too evident.

2) The mods. Well, nothing against those who make them or use them, I just never liked the way we broke in the house.

3) Job. I have one. Many hours. And when I'm not working I have many other things to do. Busy busy man.

4) Online is not my thing. I just have not the time to have fixed virtual appointments every night, so I can belong to a squadron. And not belonging to one, you are exposed to hundreds of brats and jackas$es who are even worse than the AI. Plus, I can't have pedals, TIR, fancy monitors, super GPUs... not only because of the money, but because I couldn't explain those priorities to my skeptic relatives.

5) Sadness. Oh yes, believe it or not, I just stopped playing because I'm too sad to dig it. Just lurking around the fora and refreshing my e-mail manager waiting for a mail that will never come.

p1ngu666
12-14-2008, 04:02 AM
i just lost the motivation or will to play tbh

i didnt like how the game treated certain aspects of itself, principly bombers...

rnzoli
12-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
the poll is flawed. anyone that would be qualified to answer the poll wouldn't be reading it in the 1st place because the would have left by now. the game is 5+ years old. Notice that the question is formulated in such way that you can also vote regarding your acquintances, who played IL-2 before but not any longer. Moreover, there are people who keep reading the forums despite not playing, and there have been a number of posts about people who just returned from their break. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Bordeom in the end. I played IL2 Online and Off for about the same amount of time as the real war! Anything will become boring after a while. how much flying and shooting down over the same maps with the same sequences can a Human Being do without being bored? you`d get bored in real life!

It`s nothing against the game as I have never seen a game that can keep someone`s interest forever. however, I do go back to it once in a while and still do regular weekly online flights.

I even get bored of drawing and painting sometimes which i`ve done all my life!

jarink
12-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Occasionally I'll get bored and do some other things for a while. I'll play other games or work on some airplane profile art.

It used to be rare, but twice in the past 3 months I've not been able to play because my 8 year old son has needed to borrow my joystick (his wasn't working once and the other time was so that he could play 2-player Lego Star Wars on his PC). Guess what Santa's bringing him this year?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Antoninus
12-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Much less time than in previous years but mainly boredom. I have played Il-2 a lot in 2002- 2005, occasionally late 06/07 after 46 renewed my interest and almost never in 2008. I think I don't have to say anything about dgen and the AI anymore, user made static campaigns could keep me interested for awhile but at the end it's still good old Il-2.

I feel that I've done everything I can do in this sim ad infinitum. Blowing up the 2000nd tank, shooting down bomber number 456 or witnessing the same maneuvers in dogfights again and again is simply not as exiting as in the first years.

Of course I could try out all the mods or install another campaign generator, but I don't want to invest that much of my rare spare time anymore. Currently FSX has so many new and exiting things to over.

Thus I am lurking around and waiting for SOW. Hopefully improved FM/DM, AI, more immersive campaigns and more detailed planes will make me as delighted as I was by Il-2 so many years ago.

idonno
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't know about the most common reasons, but you don't have the option that I would choose for myself.

Annoyance (with the people who treat this as a game and not a simulation)

stalkervision
12-14-2008, 11:19 AM
lost the disc while I was drunk and found it months later under a old rum and coffee cup being used a tea/booze cozy? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

general_kalle
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
so many good games to play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

JG52Uther
12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
O/T:Never stopped.If I didn't play il2,I wouldn't bother coming to the forum anymore.

Divine-Wind
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
For me it was boredom. I ran out of mission ideas for Sea Dogs, and there were other games that held my attention, and so I left for a bit.

And then I got bored of those games and came back to Il-2, and the mods have sucked me back in even more. Wee! (SH3/GWX will still always have a special place in my heart, however)

Lucius_Esox
12-14-2008, 12:35 PM
For me it was boredom and the fact that I need to keep practicing to be half competent online. Boredom = less practice = less competent = frustration.

Actially the original question itself says a lot "Reasons why people stop playing the game" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I, Like many here have been playing IL2 since 2001. Is stopping in 2007 then coming back in 2008 not long enough lol

For my sins in that period I developed an interest in WOW, yes I know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif People talk about hardcore in that,,, noobs,, they know nought http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

horseback
12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I quit playing for almost 8 months; work, family responsibilities and disgust with the ai being foremost in my reasons.

Restarted/resumed this past month, and the ai are really starting to frustrate/p!ss me off again...

IF SOW ever shows up on the shelves, I'll be checking the forums to see if the ai's behavior has been appropriately modified for realistic offline play before I cough up my fifty bucks or more, but for now, I have to neuter the bombers and Me-110s by setting them to 'Empty' before flying a campaign mission or I risk destroying my LCD screen -- I recently came this close to throwing my headset at the screen after being 'killed' from 600m away by a rear gunner on a 'veteran' 110 in the middle of a negative G maneuver for the <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">third straight time</span>.

Besides new cockpits for the P-47 and YaK series, we desperately need a mod that will stifle the unGodly accuracy of the ai gunners into something approximating the real life ineffectiveness they historically presented...

FSX continues to beckon, but I'd really rather be able to shoot something down.

cheers

horseback

Sturmtrooper
12-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I stop playing this game when I have to go to bed.

WTE_Galway
12-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
the poll is flawed. anyone that would be qualified to answer the poll wouldn't be reading it in the 1st place because the would have left by now. the game is 5+ years old.

Not true .. I have not played online for 4 years or offline for at least 6-12 months.

I use the game as a skinning and mission building engine.

I come on here to hopefully be helpful to new players and occasionally stir up the local wildlife because its just too hard to resist.

I_KG100_Prien
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Stopped flying online about six months ago. Not in a squad anymore (haven't been in quite some time), and the servers with the settings I prefer were getting tiresome. Hardly any eastern front maps and I'm tired of Western.

It's been about two months since I've done anything offline. The AI drives me batsh*t crazy. The mods helped quite a bit.. But mostly I was just doing a lot of "free flight" that didn't involve any combat.

I have FSX for that (plus all the fun IFR stuff) so IL2's been collecting "dust".

Was at it for 5 years though. Good run and I bet I'll pick it up again when I get the yearn to get blasted from the virtual skies once more.

Badsight-
12-15-2008, 01:00 AM
endless DogFighting cannot be maintained , & after a while you get your fill of coops as well

many here will relate to the following :

no "game" ever got me so hooked like IL2 did

Ba5tard5word
12-15-2008, 01:42 AM
I still play a lot but I drop off when I get other games, like lately...man there are a lot of great new pc games in the last couple months.

Hey Divine Wind do you want me to provide you with the campaign I made? I QC'd it and it has some bugs with objectives and skins but I can give you the first half where you use I-16's and Spitfires, and get rid of the bugs pretty quickly.

CrazySchmidt
12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
It's boredom and PC problems for me. I'm not spending anywhere as much time with IL-2 these days as I used to. There is nothing really new... the mods were interesting for a while but they are now becoming old as well. Then there is my poor old PC that just isn't up to all the new stuff that is coming with a lot of the mods anyway.

SoW seems so far away as does a new PC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

CS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DaddyAck
12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Work is stressful right now, hencei have not been flying. That and I have gotten into my Real time Strategy phase again with the release of "Sins of a Solar Empire" (freakin sweet title if you like space RTS games liek homeworld) That and "SPORE" (Go ahead and laugh if ya want to, that game is addictive). But really Work for me more than any other reason.

SkyChimp
12-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Sheer boredom. And the fact that I have kids, a job and other more intersting, time consuming hobbies (ie fishing). However, I've upgraded my system and got to wondering how IL2 would look running on it in all max settings. Figures, I couldn't get it installed. So I just bought IL2:1946 on dvd so we'll see if that works.

Contributing even more to the boredom is waiting for BoB, which may or may not ever materialize. A good Korea add-on would liven things up a bit, too.

BTW, some turd stole my "SkyChimp" name, too.

JG52-6High
12-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Combination of boredom, family and work for me...but first of all the lack of a new challenge (although the mods are superb) !
And who says you don`t come here if you stopped playing?? The interest in the subject doesn`t have to die together with the game, does it?

@Uther: Yes you would !! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bearcat99
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
O/T:Never stopped.If I didn't play il2,I wouldn't bother coming to the forum anymore.

+1...

Although time is the thing that has slowed my roll considerably.. I still enjoy this thing.. after 7 years.. and that in itself is amazing because it is still basically the same sim..

Originally posted by Sturmtrooper:
I stop playing this game when I have to go to bed.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

MrMojok
12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I got extremely busy at work. Playing this game was always like playing the guitar for me. I have to practice, practice, practice in order to keep any semblance of skill. Only a few weeks without practice, and I'm a n00b again.

I see now i haven't even posted here in over a year. That should give you an idea of how long it's been since I flew. I know if I start again, it will be more or less like learning from the beginning, when I first bought the game in 2005. That's depressing.

ElAurens
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I sure don't fly online like I used to. Mostly because the majority of BlitzPigs are no longer flying, but also because I am sick and tired of late war, Western European DF scenarios.

Gimmie some 'o that old time religion...

I16s and Lagg 3 series 4s and first series IL2s vs. E4s, and F2s and He111s over the snowy Russian wastelands. Those were some good times.

Be sure.

Spad_13
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I still play this game regularly. However I can see that, since I can't get the hang of things like FMB and such, that I will eventually get bored. However, I have a lowwww boredom threshold- so it may be awhile!

But the frustration level is rising.

HellToupee
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Just gets repetitive, offline gets old AI is predictable, online its just df after df, it just gets old.

If it had online persistant MP like aces high where players have impact on the map then there would be no reason to stop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I_KG100_Prien
12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
I sure don't fly online like I used to. Mostly because the majority of BlitzPigs are no longer flying, but also because I am sick and tired of late war, Western European DF scenarios.

I16s and Lagg 3 series 4s and first series IL2s vs. E4s, and F2s and He111s over the snowy Russian wastelands. Those were some good times.

Be sure.

For the love of all that is great and beautiful in the world SOMEBODY LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

Early Ostfront or GTFO.

HayateAce
12-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Spad_13:
...I will eventually get bored. However, I have a lowwww boredom threshold- so it may be awhile!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LEXX_Luthor
12-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Poll fails to offer other reasons. I found another sim that allowed me to privately -- for myself -- do something never done before, something I've been fascinated by since I was a squish.

Eastern Front was Oleg's brilliant business product, never done before, all dropped for copy-pasted Microsoft 1944 West Euro shooter gaming -- with no matching maps. AEP was a pure Online Dogfight addition. Oleg dropped the ball.

Prien and El are right. Oleg stopped developing this game (Easter Front) long ago. Why continue playing it?

Despite my interest in modding, I never bothered with FB/PF anymore, ironically because I would prefer Oleg approved modding and not hack derived modding (yough Dux), but applaud those who enjoy the hack modding (the mod community is the true financial supporter of Oleg but he always ignored them). Other than that, had Oleg continued with his original product, and continued Easter Front with 1941 instead of 1946, I would have came back. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Smileys/thumbs.gif

WTE_Galway
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

Be sure.

For the love of all that is great and beautiful in the world SOMEBODY LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

Early Ostfront or GTFO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the sentiment, if IL2 filled in the missing earlier stuff (and I would include in that BoB, Poland and Czechoslavakia, Africa, Malta and even SCW) it would probably be longer lived. Yes their are mods but the majority of offline users never touch mods.

In Oleg's defence, many of his later additions such as Manchuria and PE2 have very sensibly ignored the clamor from the online dogfight crowd for more and more rare prototype hotrods (which they all would have grown bored with in a matter of weeks and no-one would use offline).

What actually seems to have happened in terms of early war is instead of filling in the early war theaters missing from IL2 (and selling an IL2 BoB addon) he made an executive decision to do BoB in a new sim. I can see the sense in that.

Chris0382
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I find the game very repetative and boring at times. You download a pacific campaign and fly 1/2 hr to the target and then the next missions are the same. And some of the missions you dont even engage the enemy.

Who has time to fly 1/2 over blue ocean only to turn around and head back.

Thats why I like the 1 minute to action campaign as the best but Ive flown them over and over also.

Copperhead311th
12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Well....for some i'd say its thanks to this:
(and yes it is what you think it is)

FW-190D-9Late
[Aircraft]
Type 1
Crew 1
Wingspan 10.383
Length 8.805
Seaplane 0
Canard 0
Jet 0
JetHiV 0
[Mass]
Empty 3470.0
TakeOff 4300.0
Oil 50.0
Fuel 394.0
[Controls]
CAileron 1
CAileronTrim 0
CElevator 1
CElevatorTrim 1
CRudder 1
CRudderTrim 0
CFlap 1
CFlapPos 3
CDiveBrake 0
CInterceptor 0
CEngine 1
CVectoredThrust 0
CUndercarriage 1
CLockTailwheel 1
CStabilizer 0
CArrestorHook 0
CWingFold 0
CCockpitDoor 0
CAileronThreshold 400.0
CRudderThreshold 550.0
CElevatorThreshold 550.0
DefaultAileronTrim 0.01
DefaultElevatorTrim -0.1
DefaultRudderTrim 0.075
[Squares]
Wing 18.3
Aileron 0.92
Flap 1.89
Stabilizer 1.90
Elevator 1.20
Keel 0.90
Rudder 1.10
Wing_In 3.50
Wing_Mid 2.15
Wing_Out 3.50
AirbrakeCxS 0.00
[Arm]
Aileron 3.8
Flap 1.56
Stabilizer 4.82
Keel 5.04
Elevator 5.14
Rudder 5.66
Wing_In 1.26
Wing_Mid 2.44
Wing_Out 3.81
Wing_V 1.5
GCenter 0.10
GCenterZ 0.00
GC_AOA_Shift 0.45
GC_Flaps_Shift 0.10
GC_Gear_Shift -0.50
[Toughness]
AroneL 50
AroneR 50
CF 500
Engine1 250
Engine2 250
Engine3 250
Engine4 250
GearL2 200
GearR2 200
Keel1 170
Keel2 170
Nose 170
Oil 80
Rudder1 100
Rudder2 100
StabL 170
StabR 170
Tail1 130
Tail2 130
Turret1B 100
Turret2B 100
Turret3B 100
Turret4B 100
Turret5B 100
Turret6B 100
VatorL 100
VatorR 100
WingLIn 150
WingLMid 120
WingLOut 100
WingRIn 150
WingRMid 120
WingROut 100
Flap01 50
Flap02 50
Flap03 50
Flap04 50
[Engine]
Engine0Family Jumo213
Engine0SubModel Jumo213A-1
[Gear]
H 1.8
Pitch 13.0
SinkFactor 1200.0
SpringsStiffness 0.8
[Params]
CriticalAOA 16.50
CriticalCy 01.65
CxCurvature 00.80
CriticalAOAFlap 18.50
CriticalCyFlap 01.80
SpinTailAlpha 17.00
SpinCxLoss 0.06
SpinCyLoss 0.03
Vmin 200.0
Vmax 600.0
VmaxAllowed 900.0
VmaxH 685.0
HofVmax 6000.0
VminFLAPS 150.0
VmaxFLAPS 300.0
Vz_climb 15.0
V_climb 290.0
T_turn 20.0
V_turn 360.0
K_max 15.0
Cyo_max 0.17
FlapsMult 1.20
FlapsAngSh 4.0
Range 837.0
CruiseSpeed 360.0
SensYaw 0.43
SensPitch 0.66
SensRoll 0.44
[Polares]
lineCyCoeff 0.091
AOAMinCx_Shift 0.3
Cy0_0 0.13
AOACritH_0 16.5
AOACritL_0 -16.0
CyCritH_0 1.25
CyCritL_0 -0.75
CxMin_0 0.0210
parabCxCoeff_0 3.9E-4
Cy0_1 0.9
AOACritH_1 14.5
AOACritL_1 -20.0
CyCritH_1 1.8446124
CyCritL_1 -0.7
CxMin_1 0.083873026
parabCxCoeff_1 4.9E-4
parabAngle 4.0
Decline 0.010
maxDistAng 38.0
draw_graphs 0
[SOUND]
Engine fw_190
Start e_start
FeedType ELECTRIC
Prop fw_prop

KSS_Kaz_UK
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
The lobby, we miss the old lobby and decided that WW2 ground forces needed more troops so I hung up my wings, and put on a pair of boots, got a sten gun and run around now, at least you dont die when tripping over!

Sillius_Sodus
12-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
I find the game very repetative and boring at times. You download a pacific campaign and fly 1/2 hr to the target and then the next missions are the same. And some of the missions you dont even engage the enemy.

Who has time to fly 1/2 over blue ocean only to turn around and head back.

Thats why I like the 1 minute to action campaign as the best but Ive flown them over and over also.

True enough but then again I believe it was like that for those who flew those missions for real, except they flew a lot longer than a half hour to reach the enemy. And yes, sometimes they never saw an enemy aircraft, then had to do all over again on their next mission. Sometimes reality isn't very exciting.

K_Freddie
12-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd like to know on which servers you lot fly, coz I've never seen the likes of BC or anybody else on these forums anywhere, HL, the works...
I mean.. you cannot miss the name of 'Freddie' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

josephs1959
12-16-2008, 05:47 PM
NEIN,NEIN,NEIN!!!
It iz illegal zo ztop playing diz game, You vill be shot!

K_Freddie
12-16-2008, 05:59 PM
if you stop you will be shot ?????

Good gracious man, what on earth are you ranting about.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stugumby
12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Constant interruptions of mission building requiring endless hours for reflying to where glitch was or left off. Working 2nd shift is also a factor, no time to relax just time to handle business,appointments etc, always looking at clock, gotta go by 2pm no matter what, that means no talky talky time with wife in morning, and females think gaming isnt important in first place. So lots of good stuff and now with the mods 1028 possible objects in FMB and no index past 736 it makes for headaches and confusion. Then theres the static ini confusuion with new mods and imbedded objects, so it gets frustrating, 2 hrs tinkering to fly a 30 min mission, just before running to work.

WTE_Galway
12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by stugumby:
Constant interruptions of mission building requiring endless hours for reflying to where glitch was or left off. Working 2nd shift is also a factor, no time to relax just time to handle business,appointments etc, always looking at clock, gotta go by 2pm no matter what, that means no talky talky time with wife in morning, and females think gaming isnt important in first place. So lots of good stuff and now with the mods 1028 possible objects in FMB and no index past 736 it makes for headaches and confusion. Then theres the static ini confusuion with new mods and imbedded objects, so it gets frustrating, 2 hrs tinkering to fly a 30 min mission, just before running to work.

The mods use objects past 736? Did not know that.

That will certainly create some confusion when 4.09 final comes out if Slovakia Winter adds new official objects.